Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Pitwar

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Pitwar »

Wow, I didn't expect this when I said I prefer DMC to Devil May Cry 5.

I love Devil May Cry 1 and 3, but felt after the disappointing 4 that the right idea was to re-boot the franchise and give it some new life. For me Ninja Theory did an amazing job and gave me a game that was just more fun to play the what I had in 4, and what I've been given since in 5.

I'm in no way attacking people for preferring the original games over DMC, just stating what I preferred and why 5 hasn't really clicked with me.

My post wasn't meant to come across as toxic or attacking, and totally get that it's going to be different strokes for different folks. I'm just letting you guys know what I've been playing, but I guess it's best to keep any Devil May Cry games to myself ;)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Pitwar wrote: May 13th, 2019, 11:47 am I'm in no way attacking people for preferring the original games over DMC, just stating what I preferred and why 5 hasn't really clicked with me.

My post wasn't meant to come across as toxic or attacking, and totally get that it's going to be different strokes for different folks. I'm just letting you guys know what I've been playing, but I guess it's best to keep any Devil May Cry games to myself ;)
It's all good, man. You didn't do anything wrong. Please don't hesitate to post what comes to your mind. :)

Personally, the whole "aged" or "dated" talking point is a pet peeve of mine, not unlike "over/underrated" for Leon on the show. I think it's more often than not used as a synonym for "I couldn't be bothered to take the time and effort necessary to appreciate what the developers were going for" and that it reinforces negative attitudes that impact our medium. I regularly see older games, often personal favorites of mine, being dismissed for little more than their platform/era of origin and it rubs me the wrong way. But if you simply had more fun with DmC as opposed to 5, more power to you.

There is some bad blood between the two factions of the DM/mC fanbase, but that's hardly your fault!
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

When I mentioned 5 feeling dated to me it's more the look of the characters and the way they act, not how the game plays.

It has that early 2000's nu metal vibe to me which wasn't cool back then, and certainly isn't now :D
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Pitwar wrote: May 13th, 2019, 12:09 pm When I mentioned 5 feeling dated to me it's more the look of the characters and the way they act, not how the game plays.

It has that early 2000's nu metal vibe to me which wasn't cool back then, and certainly isn't now :D
Ha, fair enough!

Classic DMC likes to go for a very cheesy, wink-and-a-nod, faux-cool type of melodrama. I think it's part of its charm, but I can see how it might turn some people off the game entirely.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

Don't get me wrong, I've played all the games in the franchise from the day they were released, and have enjoyed them all to some degree (yes, even 2).

It's more me than it is them, I just feel like going back to the old look and feel was a step back, but I get that's what people love and I'm certainly in the minority.
Kez86

Post by Kez86 »

Just got myself into the glory that is Bayonetta for PC (I think im a bit late to the party...) and am absolutely loving it. There is nothing about the game that I find myself unsure of, and is the first game in a long time, where when I turn it off, cannot wait to return.

The characters are bizarre, over-the-top and highly memorable, the world is bonkers, the acting is beautifully hammy. The controls are slick and responsive.

It's everything I had been looking for in a world dominated by annoying Battle Royale games. Yes, i'm late to the Bayonetta bandwagon, but wow, what a game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I missed out on that one, too. I own the first game for PS3 but never played more than ten minutes or so of it. I'm keeping an eye out for the double pack to be cheap on Switch.
Kez86

Post by Kez86 »

Alex79uk wrote: May 13th, 2019, 3:13 pm Yeah I missed out on that one, too. I own the first game for PS3 but never played more than ten minutes or so of it. I'm keeping an eye out for the double pack to be cheap on Switch.
As I gradually step away from PC gaming, the Switch will be my next purchase. I just miss games that know they are games. PC and modern consoles are over saturated with mediocrity. Switch I cannot wait to get. Again, I'm late to the party!
Kez86

Post by Kez86 »

clippa wrote: May 13th, 2019, 4:49 pm Not even the camera?
I agree, there were instances of manic camera positioning. During the fighting sequences I felt they worked as it would often exaggerate the insanity of some of the fights. During the 'downtime' (walk to next battle arena) the camera would at times decide it wanted me to jump off of a ledge and change my entire perspective.
clippa wrote: May 13th, 2019, 4:49 pm but when that lass started moaning and gobbling the gun, I was like "I'm done".
Again, I agree. Early on I found it to be an odd choice of character design. Cant say it ever made me switch off, nor did I buy in to the over sexualisation of the character. After a while I found myself pulled into the relationship of Bayonetta and Cereza and really enjoyed watching her discover herself in some way. I believe in 2 this lends itself to a more mature approach. (Havent played it yet so not sure.) But you're right, Bayonetta is a very (Ass) in-ya-face type of game for the most part.
clippa wrote: May 13th, 2019, 4:49 pm I've always just felt a bit bored by spectacle fighters
I hadnt played a 'spectacle fighter' in a LONG TIME. Not since DMC. It was super refreshing to play something that felt familiar. I just really enjoy learning the lore of these worlds.

With regards to the Switch. The only console I own is a Wii (still) and absolutely love the it. It still comes out for the party games. I feel its time for an upgrade. There are a number of Switch First Party games that I really want to play. Obvious ones include Zelda, Odyssey, Kart, Octopath, plus others. I suppose opening up to online features and 3rd party games etc. allows the saturation of 'shit'. Steam has been that way for years. I hate it.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Just giving Furi another go after struggling a lot on the first boss alone last time. Thought I I’d try again but on an easier difficulty.

I thought I had turned on promenade mode which made sense when I completely smashed through the first two bosses but when the trophies popped up I realised I hadn’t. I feel brilliant.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Put in a tiny bit of Rage 2 last night and it certainly feels like they made a sequel to Mad Max but didn't have the license so they turned it first person and made it Rage flavoured.

It's pretty good fun but after (very) DOOM I'm finding the FPS games from the same publisher not as fun to play but ultimately if the hooks are good enough, i'll continue with it. The Xbox One X version seems a little rough round the edges and there's noticable input lag which must be a problem if i'm noticing it. It seems good so far but nothing spectacular
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

After finally getting round to finishing God of War I decided it's time to sit down and polish off the games I started but got put on the back burner.

Horizon Zero Dawn

I started playing this when it first came out, but not long after picked up Breath of the Wild so Horizon was quickly forgotten about. I always planned to go back to it, but two years later it was still in my pile of shame.

Last night I re-installed it and tried to remember how to play it and where I was in the story. It took a bit of getting used to but I'm back in the flow and looking forward to cracking on.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

With the big release of Rage 2 this week, I rushed out and bought a MVS copy of Big Tournament Golf (aka Neo Turf Masters), which price-wise works out to be around the same price! Got the machine, gotta make the most of it.

The combination of a jazzy/muzak soundtrack, a general televised-styled presentation (with lots of mid-90's voice samples), and deceptively simple and inviting arcade gameplay was too much to pass on. On the gweeeeen!

Fortunately, there's a much more affordable Arcade Archives version available out there. I know I'm not the only person how gets a kick out of this old game ;)
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Taking a break from my normal grind/loot and put on recent games with gold title Death Squared

The feel is Aperture Science by way of the IT Crowd, at least that's what it's going for. The concept is fine - control two AI cubes as they manoeuvre through a series of block puzzles to reach their target squares.
The reality it that it's a trial and error game almost at it's most literal - triggers on each level will suddenly spawn spikes or activate lasers and you have to learn where to move your AI cubes to both keep them safe and line them up correctly. There are some clever ideas - the AI cubes are different colours which means that some lasers don't affect them and coloured blocks can be solid for one and intangible for the other and the bored technician 'overseeing' the 'testing' can alter the environment.

But ultimately I'm finding this is outstaying it's welcome. I've just reached level 40 which is the half way point and I'm really not eager to carry on. I'm finding the collision detection a little wonky and the cubes start each level on the wrong side; the red cube is controlled by the left stick but always starts to the right-hand side of a level, in a deliberate attempt to wrong-foot you (wrong thumb?)

It just feels a little too arbitrary to properly gel for me
Suits

Post by Suits »

Simonsloth wrote: May 13th, 2019, 11:04 pm Just giving Furi another go after struggling a lot on the first boss alone last time. Thought I I’d try again but on an easier difficulty.
Oooo, I first played this a few years ago I think when it was free on PSN.

Very good I thought and was making decent progress and felt like I was learning things, then I hot a massive spike, on what I think may have been the third or fourth boss and never went back.

Very good game tough.
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote: May 15th, 2019, 6:37 am Put in a tiny bit of Rage 2 last night and it certainly feels like they made a sequel to Mad Max but didn't have the license so they turned it first person and made it Rage flavoured.
So, I was up for this, then the middling reviews made me contemplate it, so I watched the Giant Bomb quicklook.

I can't remember a game making me sway as much as this in terms of "I'm in/I'm out" as I watched the hour or so if it.

The driving around puts me off it a tad and the daft seeming AI and simplicity of headshot after headshot on the nasties makes it seem a bit dull expectant eyes.

Like you say, Very Doom has made me constantly expect great things from Bethesda published products - which is total nonsense and very unfair.

I may skip this one.

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: May 15th, 2019, 11:36 am With the big release of Rage 2 this week, I rushed out and bought a MVS copy of Big Tournament Golf (aka Neo Turf Masters), which price-wise works out to be around the same price! Got the machine, gotta make the most of it.
So, I have a friend who's thing is loading RasberryPi's and building mini arcade cabinets.

We were having a few beers the other week and messing about with a few cabinets when he showed me a new build that he was in the process of messing with.

Mostly his builds are based around fighters but this one was loaded with lots of various different things.

As I was browsing the games, I noticed Turf Masters and insisted that we play it - he looked at me daft and explained he'd never heard of it, when he realised it was golf he was perplexed.

An hour later and we were still playing it.

It's such a great game, very simple, but nice and quick and excellent sprite work as you'd expect.

As I was leaving, I asked him;- "So, Turf Masters then ??"

He said; - "Straight in my favourites...."
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Suits wrote: May 15th, 2019, 6:28 pm
Simonsloth wrote: May 13th, 2019, 11:04 pm Just giving Furi another go after struggling a lot on the first boss alone last time. Thought I I’d try again but on an easier difficulty.
Oooo, I first played this a few years ago I think when it was free on PSN.

Very good I thought and was making decent progress and felt like I was learning things, then I hot a massive spike, on what I think may have been the third or fourth boss and never went back.

Very good game tough.
I just activated promenade mode. I think I’ve made a mistake. I was stuck on the third boss and kept dying on the final sequence which was frustrating. It’s such a shame that rather than make it easier they’ve removed entire sequences as well as make enemies attacks slower and life bar smaller. A shame.

Admittedly I’m not sure if I would have finished it but I kind of wish they had done it differently
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'm playing a bit of Horizon Chase Turbo. It's a shameless Outrun rip-off with nice modern production values, slick controls, and what appears to be a solid amount of content.

The perfect palate cleanser in-between heavier games. Currently discounted on PS4.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Suits wrote: May 15th, 2019, 6:40 pm It's such a great game, very simple, but nice and quick and excellent sprite work as you'd expect.

As I was leaving, I asked him;- "So, Turf Masters then ??"

He said; - "Straight in my favourites...."
It starts so simple, then time disappears without you realising, and then you know... you're in too deep!

OH NOOOO!
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 15th, 2019, 10:02 pm I'm playing a bit of Horizon Chase Turbo. It's a shameless Outrun rip-off with nice modern production values, slick controls, and what appears to be a solid amount of content.

The perfect palate cleanser in-between heavier games. Currently discounted on PS4.
I’ve been more than slightly tempted by this.

I can naturally feel myself waiting for the really excellent Virtua Racing re-make to arrive in the UK eShop though.

Not that their the same type of racing game but you know what I mean.