Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
hazeredmist

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by hazeredmist » July 23rd, 2019, 6:15 am

Started Steins;Gate 0 on Vita last night. Only played the intro but already feel at home returning to this franchise. It's got so many more QOL things right over something like say Root Letter, which mechanically felt lazy with no touch screen, limited text speed options etc, the devs of this get that stuff just right. Very excited to get into it properly.

Suits

Post by Suits » July 23rd, 2019, 7:06 am

I’m about 5 hours into Zelda: Minish Cap.

I’m enjoying this much more than Spirit Track’s as this is completely more of a traditional Zelda game.

It’s odd but I don’t like the few extra frames of animation on Link as he strides about, also the lack of face buttons is become annoying and I feel will only get worse as the number of tools and items that I collect increase.

I’ve been just found and recovered the Fire Element - for those that are familiar with the story.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » July 23rd, 2019, 11:37 am

After hearing Outer Wilds bigged up elsewhere I decided to give it a go and I have ignored Judgment since. I have no idea what is going on but I am slowly piecing bits together and have not gotten stuck as yet. I have fallen into the ''just have one more run'' trap a few times and gone to bed 22 or 44 minutes later than planned :D

Judgment is really good and come into its own now. It has some great characters (and side characters) in its own right even though Yagami hasn't quite reached the level of Kiryu or Majima yet his character and history is being slowly revealed.

Dino Crisis I have reached the section with the new dinosaurs post
Spoiler: show
helicopter crash
and I am finding it a bit of a chore to be honest. The story isn't very good and I am finding the enemies and characters annoying rather than a challenge. Will persist to the end though as I want to tick this off my list.

Gears 5 Tech Test First off it looks incredible on a 4k TV on a One X. Gameplay is still the same as ever with a heavy reliance of the fabled (read annoying) Shotgun roll in close quarters. I played capture the flag only and after the initial rust wore off I really got back into it, I would have likely preordered had it not be on Game Pass.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » July 23rd, 2019, 11:52 am

It's hot, damn hot, and I've taken the week off.

I've been playing with the PS Classic and I'm having a great time with it recapturing my mid-teens. I've been mostly playing:

Tomb Raider. What a fantastic game this is. I went back to the updated version(s) intermittently over the years and they seemed to treat the source with a fair amount of respect. That said, I never really got stuck into them too much but the original block-grid version is awakening all manner of old feelings and memories. That soundtrack is still as wonderful as ever. Whenever the harp tinkles and you have the most beautiful shimmering turquoise water, it's like little else in gaming. Am I right that this hasn't been covered yet on the podcast? I feel like it's just the eponymous reboot. Would love a show on this some day. The sense of loneliness and exploration is second only to Metroid Prime.

Wipeout 2097. Another barnstormer. Amazing soundtrack, gorgeous tracks and I am more than happy with the blocky muddy textures and 30fps because it feels so good to play. Scraping round blind corners with the air brakes, boosting through bouncy chicanes and timing a well-directed ROCKET up some Feisar fender. Wip3out has the better performance and graphics (especially the wicked prototype courses) but it's Valparaiso and Gare d'Europa all the way for me.

Suits

Post by Suits » July 23rd, 2019, 11:58 am

Wipeout 2097 will always be the standout entry for me.

The racing has always been good in every entry but the combat in 2097 was spot on and the best it’s been.

It also had a progression system that I really got into IIRC.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » July 23rd, 2019, 12:00 pm

EDIT: I had a question here that was a bit unfair to ask, in my opinion. Removed :D

Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum » July 23rd, 2019, 12:01 pm

Stanshall wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 11:52 am
It's hot, damn hot, and I've taken the week off.

I've been playing with the PS Classic and I'm having a great time with it recapturing my mid-teens. I've been mostly playing:

Tomb Raider. What a fantastic game this is. I went back to the updated version(s) intermittently over the years and they seemed to treat the source with a fair amount of respect. That said, I never really got stuck into them too much but the original block-grid version is awakening all manner of old feelings and memories. That soundtrack is still as wonderful as ever. Whenever the harp tinkles and you have the most beautiful shimmering turquoise water, it's like little else in gaming. Am I right that this hasn't been covered yet on the podcast? I feel like it's just the eponymous reboot. Would love a show on this some day. The sense of loneliness and exploration is second only to Metroid Prime.

Wipeout 2097. Another barnstormer. Amazing soundtrack, gorgeous tracks and I am more than happy with the blocky muddy textures and 30fps because it feels so good to play. Scraping round blind corners with the air brakes, boosting through bouncy chicanes and timing a well-directed ROCKET up some Feisar fender. Wip3out has the better performance and graphics (especially the wicked prototype courses) but it's Valparaiso and Gare d'Europa all the way for me.
Both great games!

The loneliness of the original Tomb Raider is one of its defining characteristics, and something that for me was completely lost in almost every game in the series since. That's not to say I don't like other TR games, but there is something a bit special about the original.

And Wipeout 2097 is just brilliant. 'Barnstormer' says it perfectly!

ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer » July 24th, 2019, 8:35 am

DomsBeard wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 11:37 am

Gears 5 Tech Test First off it looks incredible on a 4k TV on a One X. Gameplay is still the same as ever with a heavy reliance of the fabled (read annoying) Shotgun roll in close quarters. I played capture the flag only and after the initial rust wore off I really got back into it, I would have likely preordered had it not be on Game Pass.
I gave the tech test a couple of goes and just couldn't get into it. I've never properly clicked with the online part of the Gears franchise, horde mode excepted, but I noticed in the tech test that the balancing seemed off - the final match had me at level 2 with team mates at levels 1,1, and 4 against a team where the lowest rank was 8.

Even if you were allowing for a limited number of people playing, something was definitely off in how the game assembles its team.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 24th, 2019, 10:14 am

Stanshall wrote:
Tomb Raider
The original tomb raider was amazing!
Don't get me started on the sickening reboot. I'm already in owly's bad books.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 24th, 2019, 5:26 pm

Suits wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 11:58 am

The racing has always been good in every entry but the combat in 2097 was spot on and the best it’s been.

It also had a progression system that I really got into IIRC.
Wipeout on Vita was brilliant though, probably my favorite version.

Ended up playing the hell out of that version when my left analogue stick broke and I was trying to think of games to play with just the D-Pad (I always use D-Pad in Wipeout) until the new stick arrived.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » July 24th, 2019, 7:20 pm

clippa wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 10:14 am
Stanshall wrote:
Tomb Raider
The original tomb raider was amazing!
Really beautiful and lonely and quite tightly designed. I remember the areas being massive and sprawling but now I know better how games work a little and how areas are designed, I can feel how to make progress. It still offers a few neat little surprises, though, and it's sure to reward your discoveries with that sudden harp strum! Always gives me a little jolt of surprise.
Suits wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 11:58 am

Couldn't agree more. It's the most balanced of the series between racing and weapons, though I never played much of the PS4 version of whatever that was. Vita games? I tried it in VR but I was still rearranging my internals the next day. I wish I had the stomach for it, such an immersive experience.

PallasRil

Post by PallasRil » July 24th, 2019, 11:45 pm

Playing Detroit: Become Human. There have been one or two eye rolling moments, but for the most part, it feels like the sort of science fiction film that comes out in the fall before the Christmas blockbusters.

Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo » July 25th, 2019, 8:04 am

Just started Yakuza 0 on PS4 and it has made a great first impression on me. Story seems to be legit compelling and the combat has the potential to be deep and rewarding. Also there is a goofy campiness to the whole thing that is quintessentially SEGA to me and has really made it very endearing, Karaoke being a prime example so far. Also actually quite refreshing to have an open world be so small. Hope they make good use of such little space. Can't wait to try more!

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » July 26th, 2019, 8:23 am

ReprobateGamer wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 8:35 am
DomsBeard wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 11:37 am

I gave the tech test a couple of goes and just couldn't get into it. I've never properly clicked with the online part of the Gears franchise, horde mode excepted, but I noticed in the tech test that the balancing seemed off - the final match had me at level 2 with team mates at levels 1,1, and 4 against a team where the lowest rank was 8.

Even if you were allowing for a limited number of people playing, something was definitely off in how the game assembles its team.
I didn't really take much notice of what levels people were, I only had one unbalanced game in the whole weekend where we were destroyed. Looking forward to having another go this weekend. I put over 100 hours into Gears 2 and 3 multi and maybe tempted to get back into this again properly at launch as I have little interest in Royale games nowadays.

Post by Default » July 26th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Evoland for a bit, and now Evoland 2, which apparently is more awesome.

I got an Ipega Bluetooth controller and searched for games that are compatible with the controller. In most top ten lists Evoland came pretty high.

It's a game for old school gamers and while you upgrade your character in rpg style you also upgrade the game, From 8-bit Zelda/FF game to HD, Control, Graphics and music all upgrade taking you on a trip down gaming memory lane.

Well worth the £6 or so that I paid for it on the Play Store

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » July 27th, 2019, 6:02 am

Back from holiday a few days ago and not sure what to start next. Aside from loads more Virtua Racer, getting to grips with Donkey Kong 3, and having the game of my life on Mighty Bomb Jack - which I ended up finishing - I decided to play through the stack of Switch demos that appeared recently...

Ape Out
I’d heard great things but that awful jazz soundtrack was doing my head in by the third level. Seems like fun if you can put up with that kind of thing though.

Oninaki
I’m never going to spend forty quid on this, but seems like a very slick action RPG and the demo is definitely worth a download.

The Tower of Beatrice
I have no idea what this was all about! Possibly a point-and-click with some very clumsy pointing. It was very quickly obvious there was no need for me to confirm this though!

Songbird Symphony
Strange rhythm platformer that reminded me a bit of New Zealand Story and a bit of Parappa the Rapper. Another one that’s worth a go on the demo but I’ll never pay money for.

God Eater 3
Job done by this demo. I’m pretty much sold, as long as the full game works solo and not co-op. Seems like a more accessible Monster Hunter, looks good and plays good.

Lethal League Blaze
Futuristic bat and ball fighting game that should be far more fun than it is. I’ll wait for Windjammers 2.

Kill la Kill The Game - IF
After 20 minutes of several very Japanese, unskippable cut-scenes, you eventually reach a very stylish - if a little shallow - pervy fighting game that I enjoyed when I got there, but will never ever touch again with so much anime crap around it.

Dragon Quest Builders 2
This is a great demo - it knows exactly how much you need for free to hook you. Really polished, really addictive, and a lot more than Minecraft with quests. Definitely sold on this one at some point, if and when the price justifies.

Tiny Metal: Full Metal Rumble
Very slick Advance Wars clone that seems to get very challenging very quickly. I’ve still not touched Wargroove, but will definitely add this to my wish list for the future.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood
Despite my very long history with Wolfenstein, the last two games didn’t do much for me, and I had no plans to play this, especially with its co-op leanings. Which is fortunate because after a 20GB download and the hassle of signing in to a Bethesda account, I was told I needed an invite from my “buddy” (don’t get me started) who owns the Buddy Pass, whatever that is. We had fun, BJ, but we’re done.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » July 27th, 2019, 7:24 am

Hah, Evoland looks like it has an interesting hook, I had no idea. I imagine I saw one of the 'earlier' screenshots and dismissed it.

I have been playing a multiplayer game of Field of Glory: Empires since Sunday. The big issue here is that I get totally wrapped up in it - there is a three day time limit for everyone to get in their turn, and it's been working out at >1 turn per day - but I'm always waiting for the turn to tick over, figuring out what I should do on my turn, anticipating scenarios, searching for people's experiences of playing my faction, and all kinds of extraneous stuff. I also find it very hard to concentrate on anything else, so playing other games seems to be out, at least in this honeymoon period. I had the same issue when I joined a structured Madden community - couldn't focus on anything else but getting better at Madden for weeks.

I need to pick another game to play while this is going on. I've also gone from having no backlog to having a massive backlog this summer.

Suits

Post by Suits » July 28th, 2019, 8:41 am

I'm suddenly beginning to remember, why Doom 3 gets a bit forgettable.

It's an awful lot of the same enemies, in same environments, with the same weapons.

But, it's still cool.

After clearing Minish Cap from my immediate list of classic games I want to play, this morning, as the wife is off to Tesco with the Ferret, as its a rainy Sunday morning, I'm cracking on with another classic game I've missed out on.

So, I'm firing up the PVM, re-calibrating it to full on RGB and busting out this bad boy !!

BRING. IT. ON.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » July 28th, 2019, 8:51 am

This is adorable.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » July 28th, 2019, 9:07 am

Suit’s photography style does have all the hallmarks of someone who spends a lot of time looking at eBay :)