Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Suits

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Suits » July 28th, 2019, 9:44 am

Flabyo wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 9:07 am
Suit’s photography style does have all the hallmarks of someone who spends a lot of time looking at eBay :)
Hahah, you know this !!

Clean and clear please :lol: .

It's hard to capture properly, but you can really get a Wii to look Godly on a PVM with just a few tweaks.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » July 28th, 2019, 9:52 am

Sacrilegious use of the Luigi wiimote, though. ;)

Suits

Post by Suits » July 28th, 2019, 11:39 am

KSubzero1000 wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 9:52 am
Sacrilegious use of the Luigi wiimote, though. ;)
I know, it’s no Bowser is it ?!? 😄

Suits

Post by Suits » July 28th, 2019, 7:41 pm

I played this for eight hours today, just got to World 4.

I can see why people say they prefer this to Odyssey.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » July 28th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Nice one Suits. I fired up Mario Galaxy 1 myself recently and after many times previously actually started to enjoy it - the controls being the primary issue for me previously. I'll be going back!

Suits

Post by Suits » July 28th, 2019, 8:29 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 8:14 pm
Nice one Suits. I fired up Mario Galaxy 1 myself recently and after many times previously actually started to enjoy it - the controls being the primary issue for me previously. I'll be going back!
Man, it’s precisely the controls that keeps nagging me to play it !!

Well, that and the incredible level design.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » July 28th, 2019, 8:36 pm

I haven't taken the time to try Galaxy 2 myself yet, but the first Galaxy is an absolute masterpiece. The incredibly smooth controls, the hugely creative bite-size stages, the music and the aesthetics are all screaming "FUN!". I'm sure the sequel is on a similar level of quality.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 28th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Really like this review of the first one from fat rab. How's that for positivity?

To my eternal shame, I have bought both of the galaxy games but not played either of them for more than 20 minutes. As with most console stuff nowadays, if it displeases little lord Fauntleroy, I don't get a look in.

Having said that, the boring old wii-u's all bagged up in the cupboard. If the galaxy games (WHICH I BOUGHT!) haven't been shipped off to cex or a car boot sale or ebay to fund his v-buck addiction, all the raw ingredients might still be there for me getting my jolly bobbles on!

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » July 29th, 2019, 10:08 am

Played the opening level/case of The Sinking City and got some Eternal Darkness vibes from it.

It is a bit rough around the edges but so far it has my curiosity and attention, so much so I forgot about another weekend of Gears 5 Beta.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » July 29th, 2019, 8:36 pm

I came across something called Pixel Puzzle Collection for iOS by Konami in Retro Gamer mag last week. I’d never worked out what picross games were all about, but the fact that this went back through their history grabbed my interest. It’s completely free with some very unobtrusive ads for recent anniversary collections, PES, etc. when you compete a puzzle, of which there are hundreds from simple to serious time-sink “bosses” that all reference every game of theirs that you can think of and more. I’m now completely obsessed and I must have played at least 5 hours on my iPad this weekend, and I’m only 10% through! If you like picross or retro gaming or both, do it!

On top of that, now I’m an expert I downloaded every picross demo I’d previously ignored on Switch and spent about the same amount of time on those. It’s great when you find something new like that at my age!

I’ve really got into Buggy Boy on the C64 too. Not sure why I decided to fire that up when I was playing with my Mini yesterday, but I’d never really given it a chance before. Give it a proper chance and there’s a great piece of racing game history there.

Suits

Post by Suits » July 30th, 2019, 6:42 am

Mario Galaxy 2 just keeps getting better and better.

It’s all I can think about playing at the moment.

It’s getting tricky now, just reached the Bowser castle on World 4 but I need to go back and locate more stars for it to unlock - which is daunting 😄.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » July 30th, 2019, 7:00 am

Really great to see you enjoying it. One of the best games I've ever played, easily. My Wii is a bit knackered but I'm tempted to fire it back up just for a Galaxy replay, and Excite Truck, and MPT and...and...and so on. I bloody love the Wii.

Suits

Post by Suits » July 30th, 2019, 9:40 am

Stanshall wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 7:00 am
Really great to see you enjoying it. One of the best games I've ever played, easily. My Wii is a bit knackered but I'm tempted to fire it back up just for a Galaxy replay, and Excite Truck, and MPT and...and...and so on. I bloody love the Wii.
Thoroughly enjoying it mate.

Also the peripheral, is simply compelling.

I wouldn’t say I was ever put off by the controller but it was always a consideration of mine when considering games and how you’d play them. I always went for the traditional controller.

Also at the time of the Wii, I was also heavily into the Xbox 360 and its HD gaming, which I played exclusively.

So yeah, Mario Galaxy 2 - pretty good so far 😄.

Excite trucks you say ........

clippa

Post by clippa » July 30th, 2019, 10:12 am

I loved the wiimote and nunchuck combo, felt so good playing mario kart with that. I didn't realise anything could be more comfortable than lounging with a controller.
It's weird how the wii was considered healthy, how they had kids standing up and waving their arms around again, but it also had this couch potatoes dream of a controller.
I wonder how the galaxy games play in dolphin, you can connect the wiimote up, but I wonder how it translates to keyboard and mouse or even pad and mouse. I might give that a go rather than setting up the wii-u, my desk is already a bit too cluttered for my liking.

edit: This is playing great on mouse and keyboard, I think I'll just stick with that for now and see how it goes. You use the mouse pointer for grab the star thingies, wasd to move, left mouse button to jump, middle click to shake, shift to duck and so on, it feels really good - https://i.imgur.com/73dCs4Y.jpg

Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo » July 30th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Galaxy 2 is truly wonderful, just brimming with creativity and fun. Along with the original, absolutely worth getting a Wii for.

Still plugging away at Yakuza 0, just going around the district is a real delight. So far, I had to put up with a diva of a director for a shoot, help a hardcore punk band live up to their image, play Space Harrier, grab toys with the claw in an arcade and race slot cars! This is such a refreshing way to design an open world, keep the area compact and small and just fill it to the brim with stuff to do. I have been so distracted with everything that I keep putting off the main story. Not to knock the main missions, the side stuff is just that good! After the horrible slog that was Gravity Rush 2, this has been an exquisite palette cleanser.

Also Space Harrier looks phenomenal for an 1985 game. Arcades were crazy ahead of consoles in terms of visual power back in those days, eh?

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 30th, 2019, 7:30 pm

Walking onto the Palace Pier and seeing two pedestal-mounted Space Harrier cabs in full hydraulic flow was one of the all-time jaw-dropping moments for me.

In terms of how the Home machines of the time handled it, well...

Galaxy 1 remains one of my absolute favourite games ever, and though I didn’t love Galaxy 2 quite as much, I think it’s still absolutely stellar.

Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo » July 31st, 2019, 10:29 am

ratsoalbion wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 7:30 pm
Walking onto the Palace Pier and seeing two pedestal-mounted Space Harrier cabs in full hydraulic flow was one of the all-time jaw-dropping moments for me.

In terms of how the Home machines of the time handled it, well...

Galaxy 1 remains one of my absolute favourite games ever, and though I didn’t love Galaxy 2 quite as much, I think it’s still absolutely stellar.
First off, I had no idea that Space Harrier was on so many consoles and secondly, some of the ports look downright unplayable. Especially the Sharp X1 version! Incredible how it was not until the Saturn when it was running close to the arcade port! Interesting history lesson, cheers for the video!

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » July 31st, 2019, 11:36 am

I remember liking the Master System version but thinking the Megadrive ‘sequel’ was poor.

One day we’ll get a home port of Planet Harriers. At the very least that should’ve been on Dreamcast.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 31st, 2019, 11:37 am

Currently playing Yakuza Kiwami 2 and missing Space Harrier and Outrun. Virtua Fighter 2 is OK, but Virtual On is rubbish!

The world looks amazing though, huge step up from Kiwami. I know it's on a different engine, and it really shows. Seamless transitions when entering shops, better transitions in to and out of combat, big crowds of people, the streets are packed and the series has never looked so good.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 31st, 2019, 12:57 pm

I think Virtual On is well cool! Takes a bit of learning though, and is better with two players.