Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Alex79uk

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Alex79uk » September 1st, 2019, 5:33 am

Kacey wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 5:15 am
Another fun tidbit- I didn't realize playing this game when it was new but the main theme is Nine Inch Nails' "The Mark Has Been Made" off The Fragile. I love finding my favorite bands in games I never knew they were in- and to EA's credit, this song sounds like it could be original score with the way Trent came up with these epic instrumentals that built like they were meant for the silver screen. There's a NIN Year Zero remix on here as well, plus Justice, Mindless Self Indulgence, etc. Good soundtrack.
OK I'm straying off topic, but NIN is my favourite band ever, seen them a few times. Reznor can do no wrong in my eyes. My all time musical hero for sure!

Kacey

Post by Kacey » September 1st, 2019, 5:49 am

Alex79uk wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 5:33 am
Kacey wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 5:15 am
Another fun tidbit- I didn't realize playing this game when it was new but the main theme is Nine Inch Nails' "The Mark Has Been Made" off The Fragile. I love finding my favorite bands in games I never knew they were in- and to EA's credit, this song sounds like it could be original score with the way Trent came up with these epic instrumentals that built like they were meant for the silver screen. There's a NIN Year Zero remix on here as well, plus Justice, Mindless Self Indulgence, etc. Good soundtrack.
OK I'm straying off topic, but NIN is my favourite band ever, seen them a few times. Reznor can do no wrong in my eyes. My all time musical hero for sure!
My favorite as well, a close tie with Queens of the Stone Age but Trent probably still wins. It's kind of crazy seeing what games he's been in or influenced the style of. Black Ops 2 was a surprising one, he did the main theme- something I never realized when it was new, but listening to it, it definitely could have come out of The Fragile.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » September 1st, 2019, 7:15 am

Stanshall wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 9:20 pm
Scrustle, I heard Astral Chain opens up considerably in terms of combat options and mechanics after chapter 3. We'll see. Still not there yet.
I can see why that could be, considering the end of that chapter is when you first unlock an additional Legion. I wasn't trying to say the combat felt limited at this point though. It's just that the depth is done in a very different way. It's not where you expect it if you're used to these sorts of games, but there's still clearly a lot to dig in to. And with how different it is, I'm kind of glad it eases you in to things. I'll be looking forward to going through a second time with everything unlocked, and when I can hopefully understand how to play better.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » September 1st, 2019, 2:23 pm

ColinAlonso wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 8:03 pm
I wouldn't quite describe the style as Spongebob-ish
I will bow to your greater expertise in this matter ;)

Just beat level 1-4. Steam says I have almost 8 hours played...this game is tough. It's probably a bit early for me to say it is very harsh, given that I am probably not fully understanding some of the strategies (for example, I can see the thing that doubles your poison at the expense of 24 points would be brilliant, but I can't accept the damage taken to get there).

Good game.

Kacey

Post by Kacey » September 1st, 2019, 10:45 pm

Going forward with Undercover PS2, I have determined that this game... is ultra, mega ass.

https://i.imgur.com/zpw5IM4.gifv

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » September 2nd, 2019, 5:21 am

Playing the Outcast remake at the moment. It’s ok, but I suspect people new to it won’t think it particularly revolutionary like we did back in 99.

It loses some of its charm without the voxels, but there’s still a lot there to like. I’ve consumed a lot more media since I first played it though so I can see how much it’s taking from Stargate and other sci-fi of the time. I also remember the plot twist coming a lot later than it actually does, weird what memory can do.

I do have strong memories of playing the original though. I was about a year into my first game dev job, and while the project I was on was not crunching, my house mate of the time (and lift home) was. I had a lot of spare time stuck in the office of an evening, so I played through games from the company library, and one of those was Outcast (at the time I didn’t own a home pc, wouldnt get one until Diablo 2 launched).

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » September 2nd, 2019, 11:50 am

Went to Arcade Club in Leeds on Friday evening and played the following:

Star Wars Arcade 1983

Proper emotional sitting in this one as it was the very first video game I can remember playing, it was the sit down version. Sitting in it now was weird as in my memories it was a huge machine and I had to sit up to hold the controls. I finished a couple of runs with my credit and it is still great fun to play.

Aliens

Played this through to completion with a friend and went through a lot of credits (going to watch Ben one credit it, it now). Would love to see this get a home port but I know with licencing it is likely to never happen. A really good side-scrolling shooter.

I finished Aliens and noticed the cabinet next to it looked like Parodius in Japanese. I looked it up when I got home and it wasn't it was [/b]Sexy Parodius[/b] which I had never played before. Great fun side-scrolling shooter. I hope Parodius gets a home release one day as that would be an instant purchase

Music GunGun! 2

A Japanese Rhythm Action shooting game. Think Point Blank crossed with Parappa the rapper. Went back to this a few times.

Also played

Street Fighter 2
Daytona USA
Scud Race
Tapper
Killer Instinct
Final Fight
Track and Field

There were loads of games I never got around to due to time and how busy it was but the place was amazing and I would highly recommend.

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » September 2nd, 2019, 4:31 pm

I played through Man of Medan, and despite that game getting pretty lousy reviews in the media, it's actually great. Like, genuinely great. Not quite as good as Until Daw, but as a half-priced, half-length anthology entry (think Tales From The Crypt instead of a Hollywood horror movie), it's definitely worth your time. Highly recommended.

Also started playing Trials of Mana (aka, Seiken Densetsu 3) and like... Holy shit, for a 25 year old game, it still holds up remarkably well. The story is interesting, the gameplay is tight and responsive (unlike Secret of Mana), the core mechanics are surprisingly complex... It's really a masterpiece, and it's a damned shame not many people have played it -- especially when compared to the lacklustre Secret of Mana.

ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso » September 2nd, 2019, 7:03 pm

Chopper wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 2:23 pm
ColinAlonso wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 8:03 pm
I wouldn't quite describe the style as Spongebob-ish
I will bow to your greater expertise in this matter ;)

Just beat level 1-4. Steam says I have almost 8 hours played...this game is tough. It's probably a bit early for me to say it is very harsh, given that I am probably not fully understanding some of the strategies (for example, I can see the thing that doubles your poison at the expense of 24 points would be brilliant, but I can't accept the damage taken to get there).

Good game.
:D . Teenage me had a lot of time to flick through the 8 channels we had at home. I saw way too many clips of that sponge as Gaeilge. He was always on during the day.

On the difficulty, it may just spike in certain levels. I completed all the second episodes first time, except for the Robot which took 7 attempts.

ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso » September 2nd, 2019, 7:04 pm

Magical_Isopod wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 4:31 pm
Also started playing Trials of Mana (aka, Seiken Densetsu 3) and like... Holy shit, for a 25 year old game, it still holds up remarkably well. The story is interesting, the gameplay is tight and responsive (unlike Secret of Mana), the core mechanics are surprisingly complex... It's really a masterpiece, and it's a damned shame not many people have played it -- especially when compared to the lacklustre Secret of Mana.
Good to hear, I tried a bit of both on emulator back in the day and am tempted by Trials as I got a bit more into SD3 back then.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 2nd, 2019, 8:05 pm

I'm at the very end of Yakuza Kiwami 2. It's been brilliant, so much better than Kiwami 1, and I might even like it better than Zero. Had a complete turnaround on Virtual On as well, that game is so good once you get the hang of it! (I maintain Virtua Fighter is a shiter, though).

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 2nd, 2019, 8:19 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 8:05 pm
I'm at the very end of Yakuza Kiwami 2. It's been brilliant, so much better than Kiwami 1, and I might even like it better than Zero.
Haven't played the Kiwami version, but the original Yakuza 2 remains my favorite of the series along with Zero mostly thanks to its narrative. I think it's one of the most heartfelt crime dramas we've had in games with a surprisingly touching and genuine love story on top of all the usual high-profile gangster stuff. Fantastic antagonist and final boss fight, too. It's a real shame the soundtrack got nerfed in the remake, from what I understand.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 2nd, 2019, 8:39 pm

Yeah, it's the story I'm really enjoying the most. The combat is better than the first one too, just a bit smoother and more refined. Never played the original, so don't really know about the old soundtrack, but I have caught myself getting in to some of the Kiwami tunes! Love this series - this game in particular has made me laugh out loud on a number of occasions. Just throwaway lines Kiryu says from time to time.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » September 2nd, 2019, 9:17 pm

A working Star Wars cab from 83? Those things are getting rarer and rarer as the parts to fix the vector displays when they die are thin in the ground. (And also a lot were changed into Empire Strikes Back ones with a conversion kit too)

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » September 2nd, 2019, 9:57 pm

There are two in Bury, a sit down and an upright. Loads of other vector cabs too.

Listen everyone, I implore you to check out Ninja Saviors on PS4 and/or Switch - especially if you’re hankering after (something like) SoR4. I’m doing a review for the blog (yes, we have one of those at caneandrinse.com), but suffice to say, I think it is the real deal.

A beautiful looking, deep and satisfying update/sequel/remake of the SNES update/sequel/remake of the 1987 coin-op, Ninja Warriors:

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 2nd, 2019, 10:15 pm

Nice, will have a look!

Chopper

Post by Chopper » September 3rd, 2019, 3:21 pm

The problem with all these PC games is that you have to spend several hours learning how to play them before you can make a decent fist of things.

Latest is Battle Brothers, an intriguing, but exhausting, turn based game where you build up a warband (micromanaging each of them via equipment and upgrades), keep them fed and clothed, and kill and be killed on the battlefield. It has a Mount and Blade-type overland map, a hex grid for fighting on, with elevation and terrain changes, and good in-game colour.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » September 3rd, 2019, 4:01 pm

Playing DJ Hero 2 following in ColinAlonso’s footsteps. Whenever I start a new mix Colin’s score is my target.

Colin, you’ve turned into my DJ Hero 2 nemesis unwittingly haha!

Suits

Post by Suits » September 3rd, 2019, 6:20 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 9:57 pm
Listen everyone, I implore you to check out Ninja Saviors on PS4 and/or Switch - especially if you’re hankering after (something like) SoR4.
Cool man, will do.

I recently lent my Game Boy SP to a mate, so I've been stuck for a dedicated Game Boy suddenly.

So I built a backlit Game Boy Color and I've been using that to play old stuff.

I don't think I've ever beaten the Original Super Mario Bros. , so when I grabbed a copy of the "Colour Delux" version on the Game Boy Color for a few quid, it was sorted.

So I've been playing that and loving it, currently on World 6.

I've also been playing Astral Chain.

I'm only about 4 hours in and so far its cool, very cool !!

Oh, and Doom 3 on the Switch, to which I'm very close to the end now, very good. Playing that solely handheld, with headphones, it's making such a memorable experience playing it like that.

ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso » September 3rd, 2019, 7:38 pm

Simonsloth wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 4:01 pm
Playing DJ Hero 2 following in ColinAlonso’s footsteps. Whenever I start a new mix Colin’s score is my target.

Colin, you’ve turned into my DJ Hero 2 nemesis unwittingly haha!
Oh shit! I have to get serious! ;). If anyone else is playing on the PS3 before the podcast and wants some, quite beatable, scores to go up against, my PSN ID is also ColinAlonso.

I'm most of the way through Empire mode (which is basically the set mixes like in the first but with a small bit of dressing). Aiming for 5 stars on medium on all tracks in the mode. 5 stars is far easier than in the first game for some reason. Still think the tracklist isn't as good as the first, leaning too heavily on late-00s r'n'b and rap.