Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by DomsBeard »

I didn't like the last third of Enslaved, thought it outstayed its welcome a bit. Started Episode Two, the sound in this is amazing, forgot to say how meaty the Pulse Rifle sounds in this. It was great to ditch the gravity gun finally and shoot things.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

mikeleddy83 wrote: My low expectations of the day come from Enslaved, a game I just couldn't bring myself around to starting due to a disagreement by my eyes with it's variable framerate and my passive insistence to focus on shortcomings of the Unreal engine. I'm just starting chapter 7 and have been blown away by almost everything since midway into the 2nd chapter (I think it was the tree climb that started to win me over), DmC has jumped a few notches up my might be worth playing list as of now!
DmC is vastly superior to Enslaved. Dante might not be the easiest character to empathise with, but pretty much everything about the game is better than Enslaved, especially the core gameplay of it. In the full game Dante actually comes across better than in things like trailers and the demo too. The boss fight from the demo shows him pretty much at his worst.
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

mikeleddy83 wrote: My low expectations of the day come from Enslaved, a game I just couldn't bring myself around to starting due to a disagreement by my eyes with it's variable framerate and my passive insistence to focus on shortcomings of the Unreal engine. I'm just starting chapter 7 and have been blown away by almost everything since midway into the 2nd chapter (I think it was the tree climb that started to win me over), DmC has jumped a few notches up my might be worth playing list as of now!
It's just a shame that Piggsy has to turn up and ruin everything. I'm really hoping the critical and, supposedly, commercial success of DMC inspires people to go back and check out Ninja Theory's earlier work. Enslaved is one of my favourite games of all time and deserves a sequel so fingers crossed its like when a film gets discovered on DVD, makes a shit ton of money and then gets a sequel green lit on the back of it.
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

I completed all 5 episodes of The Walking Dead over the weekend and boy what an emotionally draining experience that was. I always find it difficult coming to a game after so much hype has been levied upon it but it certainly didn't disappoint. There's definitely a number of questions left unanswered in my head such as how much of a game The Walking Dead is in the true meaning of the word and some episodes are stronger than others but by the time those final few decisions were being made I had tears protruding from my eye sockets. Still we will be doing a podcast on The Walking Dead in 2 weeks time so I will leave any further thoughts until then.

For a change of pace, I decided to start playing To the Moon, a small retro inspired point and click adventure game which in many respects its almost identical to The Walking Dead. Not the bludgeoning of zombies' heads but of memories lost and histories past, I've really enjoyed what I've played of it so far.
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

Ghost World wrote: For a change of pace, I decided to start playing To the Moon, a small retro inspired point and click adventure game which in many respects its almost identical to The Walking Dead. Not the bludgeoning of zombies' heads but of memories lost and histories past, I've really enjoyed what I've played of it so far.
I really enjoyed To The Moon. The game elements were lightweight but from a narrative aspect it was spellbinding. Have you tried Home yet? It does similarly interesting things story-wise.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Had a delightful hour playing Sonic The Hedgehog 2 last night, decided to see how far I could get on one credit. I forgot how many zones there are!. Mystic Cave Zone and Chemical Plant Zone are my favourites just for the delightful tune throughout. I ran out of lives on Oil Ocean Zone, these games are harder than I remember.

Given up on Fez, I've had a good time with it but the map system is a pain in the arse and nothing's explained very well and I don't want to simply read up on a guide how todo everything. It's a nice game to relax to though so I'll dip my toes in now and again.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Just went back to Super Mario Galaxy for the first time since the week it came out. Sweet jesus it's unbelievable. That music, the level design, the frickin' bee suit, those controls...I'm kinda stunned by the gulf in quality between this and NSMBU, a game I rated above all but 4 others last year. I've had it in my head for a long time that Galaxy was the best of its generation, but I don't think I really appreciated just how far ahead of everything else it is until today.

Seriously, if you haven't been back to it, do it soon and remind yourself what Nintendo at the top of its game really looks like.
Ghost World wrote: For a change of pace, I decided to start playing To the Moon, a small retro inspired point and click adventure game which in many respects its almost identical to The Walking Dead. Not the bludgeoning of zombies' heads but of memories lost and histories past, I've really enjoyed what I've played of it so far.
I picked this up in the Steam sale, been on my radar for a good while. Looking forward to giving it a go.
kappisun

Post by kappisun »

I'm still playing far cry 3. Really enjoying but my 2yr old appears to have hidden it and now I can't find it. Arrrrghh!!! BF3 and Dishonoured run through again
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Loving DMC so far, other than that Black Ops 2 continues to have a stranglehold on my time. I tried Anarchy Reigns, but wasn't really impressed with it, a rare misfire for Platinum.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

kappisun wrote:I'm still playing far cry 3. Really enjoying but my 2yr old appears to have hidden it and now I can't find it. Arrrrghh!!! BF3 and Dishonoured run through again
If you climb up on your roof and shin up your aerial, it'll appear on your minimap :lol:
kappisun

Post by kappisun »

It has been located, yes!!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Tried the demos for Devil May Cry & Dead Space 3 tonight.

DMC really isn't my cup of tea I think, reminded me of Bayonetta.

Dead Space 3 demo was ok, shit myself 3 or 4 times and the sound design is as good as ever. Only played the opening section I didn't want to delve too far. The one thing that annoyed me was
Spoiler: show
Necromorphs with guns. Really? Come on
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

FAO: DomsBeard
Spoiler: show
I think it works into the story. You've always had people getting taken over by Necromorphs, now you're fighting enemies with guns working for the military to stop you destroying the markers, it makes sense.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Touché
Sean

Post by Sean »

I'm finally getting into Persona 4 Golden. I bought it when it came out but the intro was so slow, I only played it in little chunks until now. It's finally starting to open up.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on, or really what I'm doing. I haven't played a JRPG since Final Fantasy 10, so, I'm a little slow to pick up on all the systems in place.

But, I think I like it? Not sure how to feel about it yet. Think I'm still early on, though.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Sean wrote:I'm finally getting into Persona 4 Golden. I bought it when it came out but the intro was so slow, I only played it in little chunks until now. It's finally starting to open up.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on, or really what I'm doing. I haven't played a JRPG since Final Fantasy 10, so, I'm a little slow to pick up on all the systems in place.

But, I think I like it? Not sure how to feel about it yet. Think I'm still early on, though.
Your basically playing an interactive graphic novel for the first 3 hours or so. This was fine by me as I really dug the story, but once it opened up I just fell in love with the game. I'm only about 10 hours in myself as I'm want to take my sweet time with this.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yeah, now that I'm actually playing it (currently leveling up in Yukiko's castle) I'm liking it a lot more.

But, for those first 3 hours, all I could think of was "what the hell is so great about this!?"
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Played The Cave for about an hour today. It reminds me of Dizzy in that you can only carry three items (across all characters) and then you place items in specific areas to progress. It doesn't have the devastating drowning animation that Dizzy has. These folk can swim!

I chose The Knight, The Time Traveller and The Adventurer. Nothing outstanding so far.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

For the first time in ages I played a bit of Ocarina of Time today. That game has always been my mark of shame in my backlog as a Zelda fan. I had gotten stuck on the Spirit Temple and just left it and got distracted by other stuff a long time ago. That's happened a lot of times in this game for me. Because I started with Majora's Mask I was always kind of behind the curve with OoT. Newer stuff always took my attention away too easily. But anyway, managed to get past the Spirit Temple pretty easily today. Don't know how I was stuck before. Not much left to go now. I'll probably finish it tomorrow, after owning it for about a decade.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

Witcher 2 on 360 - I do have the PC version and got 4 or 5 hours in, but it was struggling a bit and I had to put it on low settings, so just thought bugger it and get the 360 version and play it on the big TV. Only played the opening tutorial. Anyone here finish it? Enjoying it so far.