Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Alex79uk

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Alex79uk » November 4th, 2019, 5:48 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 3:36 pm
Flabyo wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 3:12 pm
...it’s treading the same space as Borderlands, but isn’t half as funny or clever as that.
Crikey.
:lol:

Suits

Post by Suits » November 4th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Gotta be honest, I’m finding the overarching story more engaging than a courier mugged by Chandler.

These games are all about the peripheral stories though really aren’t they.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » November 5th, 2019, 8:53 am

Backtracking through earlier saves to see if there are any easy achievements to pick up in the Outer Worlds now that I’ve finished it, and discovered the joy that is having a character with intelligence at ‘below average’. (Using the withdrawal affects from adreno-time to temp drop my stats)

You start getting [dumb] dialogue options, some of which open up entirely new ways to get through quests. Probably roll a dumb character at some point to get the rest of the ‘either / or’ achievements.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » November 5th, 2019, 10:28 am

Epic first boss in Modern Warfare

100GB update followed by needing an activision account to login. Signed up for an activision account to be told I already had one. Eventually got a reset password link and finally logged in and started the game. This took 10 minutes.

Don't try pausing it and going for a cup of coffee etc. There is a secret hidden boss which means you need to be constantly online to play the single player campaign so if you come back you are kicked back to the main menu.

The real campaign has not started well with a level that was far too dark followed by them going a bit no Russian in the next section. Looks great though!

clippa

Post by clippa » November 5th, 2019, 11:39 am

ThirdMan wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 9:33 pm
I can only speak for myself but I don't think people that enjoy an easier ride through a game are idiots. I tend not to myself, unless it's an unusually difficult game, but I can see why people opt for it and I can see why developers cater for them.
but that's what easy mode is there for.
I think a lot of games could be needlessly complicated back in the day so I welcome a bit of streamlining, but the aggressive dumbing down and babysitting of the player in modern games is insulting.

One size doesn't fit all, an fps balanced for mouse and keyboard is gonna play very differently to an fps balanced for a pad, I think that's a big issue when it comes to these games.

If you're gonna turn fallout into an fps (because it didn't work at all as a bloody turn based isometric rpg, did it?), then at least make it a good fps, don't just do it because that's what games are now. Don't just crowbar in some weak half arsed shooting mechanics and call it a day. They had the perfect opportunity to tighten up the combat and make it more than an afterthought, you've still got the vats system for the folk who want to play it as more of a turn based rpg.

I'm all for easy modes, games should be fun and inclusive, not everyone plays games to challenge themselves and test their skills, but the normal difficulty on this game is undermining all of the games systems. Normal is easy mode.
I did look to bump up the difficulty but it was such a modern AAA approach to game difficulty that I didn't bother

"Hard. In this mode, your enemies will deal increased damage and will have increased maximum health power"

You look at the difference between normal and maniac in mushihimesama, if it was a modern game it'd just be the same but popcorn enemies would take 3 shots to kill and if you got hit you'd lose two lives instead of one and bosses would take half an hour to kill.

Sorry, "idiots" was a bit harsh, but I've watched my hobby be all but ruined by these mouth breathing knuckle draggers for the last 10, 15 years. I've seen entire genres and excellent franchises turned into watery shit.
Just ignore me, I've got me shmoops. I'm just an old man shouting at the baggy trousered prick morons on my lawn.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 5th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Sorry, I thought that would tickle you.
You do know what I'm getting at though, don't you? Having an easy mode isn't the issue.
It feels like they've been forced to underestimate their audience at the last minute by a publisher or something and throw all the careful balancing and testing out of the window.
Everyone was looking forward to obsidian being able to make this sort of game without the pressures and time restraints of a shitty publisher leaning heavily on them but they don't seem to have stretched their legs at all, they've played it very safe.

Don't worry, I'm not really angry, I don't take anything seriously, I'm constantly getting told off for it. It's just fun to write like that sometimes.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 5th, 2019, 4:01 pm

ThirdMan wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 3:16 pm
I guess it just doesn't bother me as much overall. I don't consider it my hobby like you do.
No, you're more of a film buff, aren't you?

I'm not really a "hobbyist gamer", nobody seriously calls themselves that. I didn't stop playing in utter disgust and come on here fuming to hammer my diatribe into the forum.
Just checked in the folder and that screenshot was taken 30th of November, I haven't played it or thought about it since. People were talking about it, I'd played it so I thought I'd make the effort to summon up an opinion.
I don't understand why you're singling me out, I'm lovely!
do your homework
Yes, mum :(

clippa

Post by clippa » November 5th, 2019, 6:55 pm

I was saying that normal mode doesn't represent the same average difficulty that it once did. Games are made for the lowest common denominator more and more nowadays.
I think some higher ups underestimate the average player and the devs are told to tone the difficulty right down to stop the cod and fifa crowd from trading the game in in frustration after 5 minutes because the "hold "A" to win" prompt had one of the more difficult 4 letter words in it and they had too much misplaced dignity to restart on easy.
I'm all for easy modes! I'm not some gatekeeping dark souls wank.

I didn't buy this game, let alone day 1, if that eases your mind any. I'm not some wet behind the ears chump chasing the latest hype train. It's very rare that I don't research or download a demo, naughty or otherwise and try before I buy.
I quite liked some of the fallout games and some of the devs of the original games work at obsidian. You're suggesting that I should have just read all the mixed reviews and left it at that?
I played it, aye, it's alright, like a modern fallout, a bit naff, meh. Move on with my life
I gave my opinion just like other folk were doing, aye it was worthless and half baked, but I don't care enough to make a convincing case, I'm just shooting the shit.

How's about I follow you around the film thread and get all pissy the next time something doesn't float your boat? Maybe it's some new film from a director you like but it wasn't up to their normal standard or you went in blind and it turned out to be some crap superhero film?

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » November 5th, 2019, 7:09 pm

Go back and read ThirdMan's first reply to you, and ask yourself if he was being pissy. I think you're making something of nothing here, for what it's worth.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » November 5th, 2019, 7:18 pm

Let's all just have a nice big mug of warm milk and a MASSIVE wank.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 5th, 2019, 7:22 pm

I'm not falling for that again. You drink your own bloody milk.

I didn't have any issue with that, alex, he wasn't being pissy.
I was getting a sniffy tone from his subsequent posts and I wasn't keen on the "we're cool" sign off.
No we're not actually, I get a say in that too. I kept my mouth shut that time he went off at owly, I thought maybe they had previous that I didn't know about and you fucking hate me so of course you're gonna wade in.

It really took a lot of effort to conjure up an opinion on this game I couldn't give a rats chuff about. I try to make the effort and fit in and I should have just kept my bloody mouth shut.
I only come here for a bit of company when I'm on my tod, I don't bloody care about stupid bloody outer bloody worlds!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » November 5th, 2019, 7:33 pm

clippa wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 7:22 pm
you fucking hate me so of course you're gonna wade in.
Huh?

EDIT: Hang on, I've just thought of a better reply.

Ahem.

Hey, I can watch the fireworks out of my window, I came here for the friendly gamer chat.

Also, I don't hate you, you absolute tool.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » November 5th, 2019, 7:33 pm

I'm gonna start putting MDMA in the sprinkler system any minute. I don't mean to be the student councillor but I'm sure we can have a disagreement here, even a slightly pissy one, and still have a turbo shandy together after.

Suits

Post by Suits » November 5th, 2019, 9:56 pm

Warm milk, MANDY and wanking.

IN.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 6th, 2019, 10:38 am

I've already explained to you 3 times that I wasn't calling people who play on easy mode idiots and you're still wilfully misunderstand me, or "conceding" that I was "shooting from the hip".
Respectfully poking with a stick, indeed. Patronising and goading I'd call it.
Get a diary! You get yourself a letterboxd account you cheeky little turnip.

I don't care about games enough to talk about them, but I'm trying my best to make the effort. Why you gotta be such a turnip? You were ratting owly out for being a turnip with wings on, giving it all "Oh, I only come here to relax and put my feet up and chill, it's like my local and you're always there picking holes in my throw away comments, making me explain the far end of every fart" you're a big bloody hypocrite.
No, you're not cool, you're just a turnip in a leather jacket.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 6th, 2019, 11:22 am

Hmmmmm. I've got my eye on you.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » November 6th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Jesus, what in the name of St. Bernard is going on here? I step away for a day and all hell breaks loose. :shock:

clippa, please come down. We all have our own quirks and sensibilities, but I really don't think ThirdMan is the ... "turnip" you're making him out to be. Looks like a completely benign misunderstanding to me. Keep in mind there is a lot that gets lost in translation over written text as well.

We're all here to have some nice conversations (with varying degrees of engagement, of course), but this is the sort of thing that pushes people away from the forum. Le's all relax, please.
Spoiler: show
...Also, I can't believe it's Stanshall of all people who has to play forum cop. :lol: :lol:

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » November 6th, 2019, 12:43 pm

I've been playing videogames

Outer Worlds

Cleared the first planet after mopping up all bar one side quest. I'm playing as a melee expert which I never do (I usually play long range). Having fun so far

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » November 6th, 2019, 1:27 pm

A little bit of Tapas for me.

Some metagame Phantom Pain alongside Rhythm Paradise on Wii and trying to finish up Driver San Francisco after 5+ years of chipping away at it. My wife is loathing the CRT being out but rhythm action games on previous gen are impossible on the LED tv. On the 7th set of mini games (of 10). I’ve found it the easiest in the series given the GBA one is Japanese and the DS tap/slide was unpredictable. A good old button press in English is much easier.

ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer » November 6th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Something I've been dipping into recently has been Wargroove.

16 bit style presentation of a tactical rpg - I want to love it. But I can't quite work out the mechanics. The game usefully tells you how much of an impact you'll make on the enemy and how much damage they'll do in return but it seems inconsistent as to how much damage will actually be inflicted. There are synergies between units so it actually makes more sense to move one unit to a particular point then move a second to actually inflict damage as they will do more.

I'm also far too cautious - also haven't yet worked out the ratio of enemy kill to turns taken but as seems to be the case all too often for my taste, time taken seems to be the overriding factor, rather than keeping friendly units alive.

it may be that I'm just dipping in rather than concentrating on it fully - can't fully recommend it yet but it should be a decent enough choice if you are looking for a tactical fix ...