Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Alex79uk

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Alex79uk » November 17th, 2019, 9:00 am

That's my only fear about Gamepass. There's no incentive to stick with a game for more than half an hour if it doesn't immediately grab you seeing as there are hundreds more available one click away for 'free'.

Some of my favorite games of all time took hours to click - Mass Effect and The Witcher 3 especially. I'm not sure I'd have stuck with them if I'd not paid cash.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 17th, 2019, 11:21 am

I don't like paying subscription fees for entertainment. You pay your rates and your broadband and shit, you've got plenty of leeches stuck to your withered legs already.

I could never get my head around why people paid a monthly subscription fee to play world of warcraft "how good must this game be?" I kept asking myself, I tried a week trial that came free with a gaudy anorak and came away even more confused :lol:

I just know that if I pay a subscription fee for something, there'll always be that gnawing at the back of my mind saying "you'd better get your monies worth" so that would involve playing world of warcraft constantly to the exclusion of all other games, playing world of warcraft constantly to the exclusion of all other activities and to the detriment of my life.
It feels like way more of a commitment than a one off payment, even if it's easy to cancel. It's like signing up to a new way of life :lol:
It's already a crime that consoles make you pay a monthly fee for playing online. It sort of feels like they're locking you in to their walled garden, you're pledging your elegance to the company, the more you spend over a long period of time, the less likely you are to just cut your losses and jump the wall.

It's like with films, sometimes I won't watch a film for a month or something and then I'll watch two in a weekend or something, I'm not paying mr netflix for that! Known my luck those films I wanted to watch wouldn't be on there anyway and I'd just end up having to watch two different films with Ben Stiller and an animatronic bear in that I didn't really want to watch.

It's the same reason why I don't buy bundles or subscribe to that humble monthly thing, just a constant slew of games coming into my life, I'm an awkward picky little bugger when it comes to music and books and films and games and stuff, I don't want a tap pumping "game" into my home, half the fun is browsing and choosing and finding your taste.

I suppose if you're made of money, with gamepass, you can just relax and treat it as you walking around someone else's collection. You wander around and find stuff that matches your taste or find something new that you might like.

It's not for me, but I can see it being absolutely perfect for a lot of people.
I'm really hungry and I want something fizzy.

Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo » November 17th, 2019, 4:22 pm

I just started up Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair and I have to say that I am properly loving it right now. For the most part, I actually dug the original Yooka-Laylee but this is so much more consistent in its quality. The controls are extremely tight and rolling through enemies and jumping out of said roll to cross a large gap brings back some of the best moments from the DKC games. But the real star is the overworld. The decision to have it be an actual hub world you can explore instead of a level select screen was a fantastic idea that was pulled off brilliantly. Exploring this world and all its secrets is a real delight and it drip feeds you new stuff at just the right rate that you want to keep playing. This is a fantastic second entry from Playtonic and if they keep this kind of quality up, then they may just be the return of classic Rare that so many were wanting.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » November 17th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Playing ‘The Talos Principle’ on gamepass, and generally enjoying it up until the puzzles where you have to record yourself doing an action then play it back. I struggled with that in Braid and I’m not doing any better here...

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » November 17th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Finished Uncharted 4. It dragged a bit about two thirds in but the last few chapters were fantastic. They looked absolutely gorgeous too! Still not keen on some of the last-gen gameplay aspects but overall enjoyed it.

Also finished Sneaky Sasquatch on Apple Arcade, which was four hours of innocent, easygoing, addictive and varied adventuring. Definitely recommend it if you’re on there.

And also finished Joe & Mac 2 on SNES on Switch. Not especially sophisticated but there’s fun in its simplicity for its fairly short duration. Reminded me of my old fave Chuck Rock, and I’ve had a good time playing a level now and again over the last couple of months.

Obviously couldn’t resist the new Arcade Archives release of Yie Ar Kung Fu on Switch! A very dear favourite of mine that will never age!

Finally, picked up Sega Rally on PS3 for less than its second class postage cost me! It got mentioned in an article I read last week, then a review and a starting price bid on eBay later and it was mine. Really cool arcade racer with mad handling that still looks nice and is proving great for quick sessions.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » November 17th, 2019, 7:53 pm

stvnorman wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 7:39 pm
Finished Uncharted 4. It dragged a bit about two thirds in but the last few chapters were fantastic. They looked absolutely gorgeous too! Still not keen on some of the last-gen gameplay aspects but overall enjoyed it.
Did you like the ending? It got so close to twee and cheesy without crossing the line, I felt. I loved it, really perfectly done for me.

You have played 1-3 already, right?

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » November 18th, 2019, 10:58 am

clippa wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 9:56 pm
Haze, I've added you there tonight, my profile isn't private, you can always see what I've been playing here - https://steamcommunity.com/id/_clippa_/
Accepted
Spoiler: show
Don't hurt me again

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » November 18th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 7:53 pm
stvnorman wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 7:39 pm
Did you like the ending? It got so close to twee and cheesy without crossing the line, I felt. I loved it, really perfectly done for me.

You have played 1-3 already, right?
I could have done without the epilogue, but up until then I think you’re right, completely worked for me, from the moment I dropped down the cliffs onwards.

I’m just off the back of playing 1-3 having only ever played 2 before. I think I got a lot more out of 4 having done that,

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » November 20th, 2019, 5:48 am

I'm slowly enjoying it the more I play but found it a bit bland at first. Admittedly it takes me longer to play through games nowadays so I don't see the rewards instantly but I was kinda hoping for a Force Power to be unlocked a bit sooner.

I'll persist though as it is good and so far on XOX it runs well!

chase210

Post by chase210 » November 20th, 2019, 9:57 am

I am also pleasantly surprised by Fallen Order. Possibly because any expectations for it were so low.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » November 20th, 2019, 2:45 pm

32 hours into Death Stranding and I am still enjoying this Kojima inspired walking simulator. I think I got what Kojima was going for early doors so stuck with it plus the story is so off the wall that pushes you on to find out a little more about what has and what is happening. It has kept me from starting fallen order which as a Star Wars fan is praise indeed.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » November 20th, 2019, 4:27 pm

I am (I think) right at the end of LoZ:ALTTP, and can't work out how to hurt Ganon. 18 hours or so on the game, it's been brilliant.

EDIT: Turns out it wasn't Ganon, but the penultimate boss. I need to go find silver arrows for the last fight.

I genuinely do not believe anyone has ever managed to finish this game with no use of a guide or tips from friends etc. Some of its secrets and upgrades would just be impossible to stumble across by accident.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 20th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Do you not mean links awakening? Isn't that the one that got the recent daft, pointless remake?

Even if we did have friends, we would have been far too proud to ask them for help.
You might have been one of those rich walter softt kids that consulted your big stupid pile of magazines, but otherwise you just bang, banged your head against that brick wall and tried every combination of items and systems until you stumbled across the random arbitrary fuckbrained solution.
It was character building.

I despair for this new generation of wet milktoast floppy pricks, constantly falling down ravines with their infinite lives and regenerating health, aim locking their way to no sort of victory.

Gaming was full of life lessons back in my day, now it's just full of back slapping and dick sucking.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » November 20th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Nah, it’s definitely link to the past where you need the silver arrows to defeat the final boss.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 20th, 2019, 9:02 pm

What the hells he playing that for? Get back in line with the rest of the herd. Take off that snakeskin jacket. Nobody's impressed, young man.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » November 21st, 2019, 12:39 am

Yaroo!

We've all been (somewhere like) there. It won't feel so keen tomorrow.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » November 21st, 2019, 7:46 pm

clippa wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 8:38 pm
Do you not mean links awakening? Isn't that the one that got the recent daft, pointless remake?

Even if we did have friends, we would have been far too proud to ask them for help.
You might have been one of those rich walter softt kids that consulted your big stupid pile of magazines, but otherwise you just bang, banged your head against that brick wall and tried every combination of items and systems until you stumbled across the random arbitrary fuckbrained solution.
It was character building.

I despair for this new generation of wet milktoast floppy pricks, constantly falling down ravines with their infinite lives and regenerating health, aim locking their way to no sort of victory.

Gaming was full of life lessons back in my day, now it's just full of back slapping and dick sucking.
As Flabyo said, it was A Link To The Past.

As for the rest, I'm really not sure what you're saying or where it's aimed!

clippa

Post by clippa » November 21st, 2019, 8:28 pm

haha. Yeah, alright mate, fair do's, bloody hell. We all have our off days.
I'm just saying, aye, the logic hasn't been lost to time, if that's what you were asking. It wasn't once sharp and clear and somehow the ravages of time have rendered it murky and obscure.

Like you say, bang your head for 10 minutes, but look it up on zeldapedia or whatever after that, don't lose months of your life to that shit like we used to have to! :D

See, that's boring. I liked the one with the floppy pricks falling down the ravines.

Uuuuuuuugh! Downstairs computer fallen over, send help. This is a grand time for it, just as my faiths on the wane.

I have a sneaky suspicion that it's problem chimps doing, all that hammering on the desk when everything isn't going 100% his way, but to be fair to the lad, that hard disk was probably clinging on by the skin of it's teeth, it's been through 4 pc's or something by now, just keeps getting wombled, probably well due it's deserved retirement down the sunkissed knackers yard

Haha, sunkissed knackers.

Will go for something a bit more shock resistant this time I think, will try one of them there new fangled ssd's all the cool kids are going on about.

just gonna give it a cuddle and blow it a kiss for now, hope that keeps it chugging along over the weekend.

Suits

Post by Suits » November 21st, 2019, 9:19 pm

It’s getting like 4Chan in here.

My 2.5 year old son is obsessed with Dragaux from Ring Fit Adventure and has even taken to asking me if we’re going to chase Dragaux after work.

Gotta be honest it’s one hell of an incentive.

Also, the new Switch SNES pad works perfectly with SMM2 - which has made things sweeter.

Still playing Luigi’s Mansion 2. Very good game.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 21st, 2019, 9:45 pm

Suits wrote:
November 21st, 2019, 9:19 pm
It’s getting like 4Chan in here.
Aw, don't say that, is that aimed at me? What do you mean? That's the sort of thing that might really upset someone.
Sorry if I've done something daft. 4chan's never mentioned in a good light :lol: I'm assuming I've done something daft.
Suits wrote:
November 21st, 2019, 9:19 pm
Ring Fit Adventure
You've got that on the DVD :(