Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 9:21 pm I don't remember you ever telling us about this! Go on....?
CLICK ME
Suits

Post by Suits »

Been pressing on with Time Splitters 2 and last night I beat 2019 Neotok Yo and 1896 Wild West.

Still great fun to play and builds tension really well.

The levels only have one checkpoint, which is about two thirds of the way through, so there's some real pressure as a death can put you back quite a way.

Thats one of the things I genuinely feel older games have going for them, theres some real stakes at play with your time here.

Some more modern games perhaps feel that checkpoints are essential to stop to players becoming frustrated with lost progress but ultimately turn into a hand holding exercise.

Anyway, very much enjoying going back through this game.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Suits wrote: April 4th, 2020, 9:33 am Been pressing on with Time Splitters 2
I was looking at that on eBay the other day. Never played if before and it’s only a fiver but I’d be gambling it because my PS2’s disc drawer is a bit temperamental - only about 50% of discs read.

Picked up occult pinball masterpiece Demon’s Tilt on Switch. I’ve been really good waiting for a sale to justify getting a second copy so I can play handheld or on the big TV and not when my son decides I can use his Xbox! I adore this game and for all the hours I’ve already played, it keeps revealing more!

Finished the original Doom on Switch - forgot I had it after getting it with 2 and 3 then starting there, and only loaded it to check out the update it just got. I ended up playing through it pretty much in one go. Brilliantly designed game that might not have the graphical impact now that it did the first time I ever switched on the first PlayStation, but it’s just as much fun to play. As is Doom 64, which I can’t be far off finishing now too.

Played a few levels of the currently free Monument Valley 2 on iOS, and it seems like more of the excellent tactile same. Also been playing Agent X on the Spectrum for my new blog post at https://retroarcadia.blog and it’s still secure in my top ten games ever! Unlike its sequel...

And have spent 50+hours on Animal Crossing. Oops!!!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Resident Evil 3

After reading reviews moaning about how short it is and Nemesis in general I decided to play it on the Hardcore difficulty, which surprisingly is very very hard.

So far I've played a couple of hours (my game time is 1 hour 20 so 40 mins lost time through deaths) and loving it so far. Thankfully there has been little Nemesis so far as it's hard enough as it is :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I thought it was quite interesting people complaining it was too short. You could finish the original in a couple of hours!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: April 4th, 2020, 4:34 pm Yeah I thought it was quite interesting people complaining it was too short. You could finish the original in a couple of hours!
People seem to be forgetting that and also the online game with it. Forgot to add I played the tutorials for that also and I'll give it a spin but not my cup of tea.
Suits

Post by Suits »

stvnorman wrote: April 4th, 2020, 1:57 pm
Suits wrote: April 4th, 2020, 9:33 am Been pressing on with Time Splitters 2
I was looking at that on eBay the other day. Never played if before and it’s only a fiver but I’d be gambling it because my PS2’s disc drawer is a bit temperamental - only about 50% of discs read.
I tell you what, go for it, pick one up and if it doesn't work, I'll send you a spare PS2 slim I salvaged the other week that works perfectly 8-) .
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: April 4th, 2020, 4:34 pm Yeah I thought it was quite interesting people complaining it was too short. You could finish the original in a couple of hours!
The original RE3 isn't that short, actually. Roughly the length of RE2's ClaireA + LeonB scenarios back-to-back (a bit less than C:VX).
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Rez Infinite, about a metre from the telly.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote: April 4th, 2020, 6:55 pm Rez Infinite, about a metre from the telly.
I need to play Rez.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Stanshall wrote: April 4th, 2020, 6:55 pm Rez Infinite, about a metre from the telly.
:lol: That's how I play all my games. I literally drag the armchair as close as it'll get to the TV, headphones on, lights off.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Resident evil 3 sure is exactly what I expected based on the original game.

A lighter, more action packed side story to RE2 but has all the bells and whistles which the fantastic RE engine brings. It's just so satisfying to play and find all the bits and bobs to open and benefit from. The map system is still best in class and the graphics are stunning. Seeing a zombie fall in front of a lamp for it to cast a giant shadow is a thing is morbid beauty
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Does anyone know of any decent sports mini game collections for Switch? My kids love Wii Sports Resort, but we've only got one motion plus enabled WiiMote so they can't play 2 player on anything. They really want to play 2 player sword fighting. I had a look online and for the cost of a new WiiMote may be able to just pick up something similar for Switch. Any ideas? Ta!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Alex79uk wrote: April 5th, 2020, 12:02 pm Does anyone know of any decent sports mini game collections for Switch?
I haven't played it but Go Vacation might do the trick. The Metacritic reviews were a bit average (62%) but the User reviews are more promising (7.4), and it sounds like it's great for a younger audience. I've heard good reports on various forums of people playing it with their kids.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

It really can't be stressed enough how smooth, enjoyable and well-designed DOOM Eternal's combat loop actually is.

I'm moved.

Fully back on-board the AAA train and chucking my Cube out the window if they all turn out to be like this from now on.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'll definitely check it out once it's on sale. I didn't especially like the first one. The mechanical rhythm (to use this phrase) of the shooting, (with shotgun or whichever) constantly interrupted (I'd say every few seconds) by the melee kills (which were tied to ammo and health), was like reading (or trying to read) a paragraph overpunctuated (get ready for the alliteration) with parentheses (not big, not clever).

I would have much preferred to steam round just firing, but I appreciate that's missing the point of that particular game.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Animal Crossing is the perfect counter to Resi 3 right now.

Just got past the
Spoiler: show
Drain Deimos
section which was short but horrendous and now you know who is back absolutely kicking my arse. The sooner I absolutely master the dodge the better. Like Alien Isolation I'm playing in 1/1.5 hour sections as it is punishingly difficult. Death animations are especially grim.

But in Animal Crossing I've got a swimming pool and lounger so living my best life there. Hopefully the end of Resi 3 will be a Dodo Airlines flight straight to my island
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: April 5th, 2020, 2:50 pm I didn't especially like the first one. The mechanical rhythm (to use this phrase) of the shooting, (with shotgun or whichever) constantly interrupted (I'd say every few seconds) by the melee kills (which were tied to ammo and health), was like reading (or trying to read) a paragraph overpunctuated (get ready for the alliteration) with parentheses (not big, not clever).
Totally fair, the 'shoot enemy > glory kill > shoot enemy > glory kill > etc' loop of the first one is pretty flat in retrospect. But I think the devs really took the feedback to heart on this one. You never use glory kills "just because" any more, only when you really need health. The addition of an entirely separate mechanic tied to armor as well as the reduced ammo cap to incentivize the chainsaw inject just the right amount of much needed variety into the combat.

It's not a perfect system by any means (a bit too cooldown-reliant for my tastes), but the different prioritization layers coupled with the fantastic enemy variety instantly puts it at the top of the genre anyway. It's delightfully interactive.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Well, that sounds a fair bit more appealing. I've heard some excellent things and a few people raging about the difficulty, so I'm definitely up for trying it when I have any money.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Tried the demo for Trials of Mana and got a fair amount of hours out of it. You can definitely tell it is a SNES rpg just by the structure of it and it's straightforward story. Found it to be pretty enjoyable overall and may just check out the full game in the future. Only real fault I can find with it is that Charlotte, sorry, Charwotte is one of the most annoying characters I have come across in a JRPG. Does anyone find that kind of baby talk endearing? But yeah, I had nice old school fun with this one.