Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Suits »

Jon Cheetham wrote: April 15th, 2020, 3:40 am
Simonsloth wrote: April 14th, 2020, 11:19 pm What a nightmare! I had a similar problem with a code Veronica boss fight. Those were the days!
That almost sounds like the tyrant on the plane?
My mind went straight there too :lol: .
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

NOTORIOUS (that muhfuggin tyrant on that muhfuggin plane is).

I Been Playing some Wonder Boy in Monster Land on the SEGA Master System and really enjoying it, advancing and upgrading my gear with the one single life and one health refilling elixir you get. Got to round 6 and got smited by the Sphynx after I failed his quiz (typical).

But just look at my little dude and his pink shoes!

Also got a Hebereke's Popoon cart in, which I got off eBay after our SNES console special and Ben talking it up tremendously and having seen him stream it. Lot trickier than I thought, but after a bunch of sessions, things started clicking and I managed to get to the third character in story mode only to lose out slightly, after having been murdered consistently by the first character for I don't know how many attempts.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

HE TAKES THREE GAS ROUNDS + TWO ACID ROUNDS AND YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO F'N MOVE

Are you people for real?? :lol:
Spoiler: show
And yeah, I know he can be a hurdle for unprepared newcomers. But man, talk about an exaggerated reputation!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

It’s a lot of people’s experiences going into that fight for the first time, my man. Mine included. Maybe you forgot throughout your many, many replays?

But back to Wonder Boy in Monster Land. What a lovely game.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Ah, I'm just joking. I struggled with him on my first playthrough as well if I remember correctly.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Been having a lot of fun with Timesplitters on PS2 while I’m waiting for the second to arrive via eBay. Still a joy to play... At least when it loads. Console on its last legs and I’ve got it completely case-less and cover-less to painstakingly (and apparently randomly) adjust the laser distance every time I try and load anything. (Suits, might have to take you up on that PS2 Slim offer - will message you).

Finished Doom 64 on Switch. Fantastic up to the last level, loved the insane first part, but the second part, the Mother Demon, seems way too hard and unbalanced compared to everything before it (unless you’ve discovered some demonic powers I didn’t know any thing about until too late). I restarted so many times it wasn’t fun anymore and was glad to see the back of it. Shame, but overall an absolute bargain and a good 15 hours enjoyment had.

Also on Switch, went back and finished Episode 4 in original Doom, so that’s all done too (including good final boss!), and went straight into Doom 2 and did the first set of maps on there.
Suits

Post by Suits »

stvnorman wrote: April 15th, 2020, 10:15 am Console on its last legs and I’ve got it completely case-less and cover-less to painstakingly (and apparently randomly) adjust the laser distance every time I try and load anything. (Suits, might have to take you up on that PS2 Slim offer - will message you).
Yeah, thats not fun or reliable.

Yes mate, I have a few things to go out once things get a little more back to normal.

It's a bit scruffy, but works perfectly, I used it for a while but went back to my Phat as I like the vertical stand 8-) .

Message me up buddy.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Michiel K wrote: April 15th, 2020, 10:09 am But back to Wonder Boy in Monster Land. What a lovely game.
Nice game. Lovely game.

Might have to bust out the Mega Drive and Convertor..........
Suits

Post by Suits »

Owly - I remember playing RE:CV back in the day and unlocking a first person mode.

Is that only unlock-able once you beat it ??
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: April 15th, 2020, 10:26 am Owly
Get out! :lol:
Suits wrote: April 15th, 2020, 10:26 am I remember playing RE:CV back in the day and unlocking a first person mode.

Is that only unlock-able once you beat it ??
Yeah, there is an unlockable mode called Battle Game that can be played in first-person (I'm not 100% sure if there's a main game requirement for that or not). Unfortunately it's just a camera swap, the actual game remains the exact same, controls and mechanics and all. It's little more than a pointless gimmick if you ask me.

The mode itself is nothing special, it's a basic rush mode in the style of RE2's Extreme Battle. There's no real strategy involved, you just run towards the exit all the time. And combined with CVX's underwhelming combat and enemy design... meh. RE2's similar modes do a lot more with a lot less.

I know you can brute-force the same camera swap for the main game using emulation in some way or another.

It's possible that some of the later versions may have it unlocked from the start, although I don't think so.

If all else fails, Darkside Chronicles. :P
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

KSubzero1000 wrote: April 15th, 2020, 9:41 am HE TAKES THREE GAS ROUNDS + TWO ACID ROUNDS AND YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO F'N MOVE

Are you people for real?? :lol:
Spoiler: show
And yeah, I know he can be a hurdle for unprepared newcomers. But man, talk about an exaggerated reputation!
Every playthrough I forget to bring enough!
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Playing a lot of Virtua Racing on Switch at the moment. Absolutely fantastic version from the wizards at M2, as usual.

For the £4 it's on offer for right now, you get a seminal early 3D arcade racer that stands up brilliantly well. There are three tracks to master, all excellent, and the flat poly visuals have been really nicely up-rezzed and run at a silky smooth 60fps.

John Linneman has also done a really interesting DF Retro piece on it, looking at this new version and every other from the arcade original onwards. As always with John's work it's very much worth a watch!

https://youtu.be/uEbmTfSxt9Q
Suits

Post by Suits »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: April 15th, 2020, 2:09 pm Playing a lot of Virtua Racing on Switch at the moment. Absolutely fantastic version from the wizards at M2, as usual.
Didn’t we have a community thread up for this with times etc...
Sinclair Gregstrum

Suits wrote: April 15th, 2020, 3:22 pm Didn’t we have a community thread up for this with times etc...
ooh I don't know! I'll see if I can find it!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

stvnorman wrote: April 15th, 2020, 10:15 am Been having a lot of fun with Timesplitters on PS2 while I’m waiting for the second to arrive via eBay.
I loved all three of the Timesplitter games, but probably played the most out of the first onthe PS2 with my neighbor. I know it's considered a bit stripped down compared to the sequel, but it still provided solid, fast multiplayer action for the two of us. And some of those level designs in death match were fabulous.
Sinclair Gregstrum

ratsoalbion wrote: April 15th, 2020, 3:32 pm It's right here: https://caneandrinse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2560
Cheers Leon! I'll put some times up there.

I'm 100% focussed on Bay Bridge (medium track) at the moment and have raced that circuit a crazy amount of times in the last week trying to get first!

No matter what I do, I can't get above 2nd, with a best time of 3:15.56. It's driving me insane!

To top it off I've been watching videos of other people winning with times slower than that! WTF!!!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Really glad to see that discussion of Code Veronica is coming back into vogue, even though it looks as though Capcom may have snubbed it.

I will say though, I've played through Code Veronica X approximately 2.9 different times, and that Tyrant fight always throws me for a loop. Every single time. Even when I know he's coming. The last time I played it was roughly around 2016, when I attempted a full-play marathon in a single day on Halloween... I'd really love to do something similar again one day, that was a fun event to promote. I wound up getting to the Claire v. Shrek boss fight late in the game, but was too tired to continue.

Anyway. That Tyrant fight is not easy. I got to that fight with just barely enough ammo to beat him, but there's enough variables to make that fight stupid. Miss a shot? You're screwed. Shotgun blast doesn't land full damage? you're screwed. Tyrant yeets himself to the front of the plane right before you press the button? You're screwed. Accidentally use too much ammo in the rather difficult segment before that plane trip? You're screwed. Because not only do you need to do enough damage, he also needs to be close enough to the hatch to get blasted out.

It's a really finnicky boss fight with inadequately explained mechanics, and the worst part is that it acts as a gatekeeper to what I feel is the best part of the game. That whole Antarctica segment is just incredible, especially when you first land there. In a way, it certainly feels like a reward for playing smart, but it's very much a situation where you can be soft-locked, or where casual players will likely stop playing... I think this boss fight alone is why some RE fans don't like this game. It has the potential to stain an otherwise great experience. Steve aside.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Magical_Isopod wrote: April 15th, 2020, 7:04 pm I think this boss fight alone is why some RE fans don't like this game. It has the potential to stain an otherwise great experience. Steve aside.
Oh Steve. Maybe he will find redemption in resi 8.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: April 15th, 2020, 4:55 pm I'm 100% focussed on Bay Bridge (medium track) at the moment and have raced that circuit a crazy amount of times in the last week trying to get first!

No matter what I do, I can't get above 2nd, with a best time of 3:15.56. It's driving me insane!

To top it off I've been watching videos of other people winning with times slower than that! WTF!!!
That’s a great time. My best is a second slower, and that wasn’t the one time I won it! I’m fairly sure when I started going a bit insane with it, I noticed the lead car go into a spin on the right hand turn after the road closure on the left. I caught it on the way past but it gave me hope there was a scenario (and I’m still not exactly sure what it is) that you could take the lead there. And eventually that’s what I did, going past when it span, after which you just have to make sure you don’t screw up the last couple of turns.