Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Suits »

hazeredmist wrote: October 1st, 2019, 8:38 am Playing Untitled Goose Game. It's nice to be playing something everyone is talking about from time to time.
I started this tonight, love the start and the way he appears out of the bush - had the wife chuckling too 😄.

I’ve been playing Rhythm Paradise on the Wii too, which is a nice little change. Hugely endearing series that, there has to be one on the way for the Switch soon.

I’m thinking about, or rather have set the GameCube up ready for, - Paper Mario:The Thousand Year Door.

This is a game that’s been on my shame list and one I’ve had my eye on for a long time.

The biggest hurdle - having to sit down in a fixed place to play it 😄. I’m so used to mobile gaming now it feels restricting having to be sat in front of a TV !!
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Chopper wrote: September 27th, 2019, 10:57 am Dicey Dungeons. Boy, everything about this game (art, writing, and (sorry, Colin) music) annoys me, apart from the gameplay, which eventually annoyed me enough that I haven't played it in a while. I was playing through methodically, doing the levels in order, but one has defeated me - Thief 3 - which is all kinds of bullshit. :D It was probably a mistake to play that way, I might go back in a bit.
Interesting, I found Thief 3 particularly easy and finished it on my first go. Knowing what dice were coming meant I could really plan and play around with some of the cards.

Having said that, I've drifted away from it after 20 hours. I'm on the fourth set of levels for each character and while I enjoyed all the rule changes the previous levels, level 4 is a rehash of each character's level 1. The differences are that enemies have all their cards upgraded and, I think, a bit more health. Thus it has managed to feel unfair and boring at the same time, so I've drifted off. The story is more to set up for the gameplay so it won't encourage me to get past this hump.

Also while I enjoy the music, the regular tunes total to about 40-45 minutes. Considering I've played for 20 hours, I'm a bit bored of them now. I assume its a 'stick on a podcast' game for you Chopper.

Honestly I think the game might have been better served by being shorter.

I've dragged myself into more Final Fantasy games, XV in this case. Damn, this game is odd and I can't really form many thoughts on it yet. I'm on chapter 3 but I've wandered around doing a lot of sidequests so my characters are already leveled to the mid 20s.

So far it feels like Square Enix were given second hand information on how both a Western style RPG and a character action game worked, still wanted to make a Final Fantasy game out of that and the guys who made Final Fantasy VIII felt that roads and cars were underused in that game and wanted another stab at it.

Each of the 4 guys have their traits and personalities well defined I can't say I'm warming up to them and the overall plot has taken a back seat to sidequests.

I'm finding it a very relaxing game however.

Add me to the list of people playing Super Metroid too. It's my first time playing it. I'm currently 2 hours in and a little bit stuck on where to go in Norfair. I'm still not fully used to shooting with X and jumping with A. Its an unusual button choice but these things were less standardised in 1994. Enjoying the exploration, the steady supply of new gear and rolling around dropping small bombs all over the place. Thankfully my enjoyment of the latter as proven very useful in discovering some of the paths. While I knew the sound was much lauded, I am loving the atmosphere the ambient sounds and music create.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

ColinAlonso wrote: October 1st, 2019, 10:52 pm Interesting, I found Thief 3 particularly easy and finished it on my first go. Knowing what dice were coming meant I could really plan and play around with some of the cards.
:shock:

Wow, I wonder if I’ve been approaching it the wrong way. I liked knowing the dice, but I found that 4-6 were unusable in the early going - meaning that I could only use 1-3 until late in the game and had to skip through 4-6 every time). I never got a card that used these numbers till the late stages. I assume that is by design but maybe I got really unlucky with rolls (or am just bad at using the cards I’m given). The one time I got to the end boss, she rolled 27 damage and wiped me in three hits (so I was at the dice roll that gives you all threes when I died :lol: ).

You do probably need to kill every enemy to get enough health to survive the boss but with only being able to use 1-3 I generally had to pick my battles and skip some fights on the way. I’d better go back and have another look at this later!

Yes, agreed that it dragged a bit, I think I’m on 14 hours already.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I started Resident Evil Zero last night.
Spoiler: show
I would have thought from all I've ever seen that the train is the whole game. Not so, huh? I guess I shouldn't be surprised I'm back in the mansion but I was ready for more train exploits!
ThirdMan wrote: October 1st, 2019, 11:34 pm I'm getting pretty deep into Baldur's Gate now, or as deep as it's possible to get playing on easy mode. I'm loving it. Of course there's plenty of dated elements that take some getting used to, but the backbone of the game is good writing and interesting characters.
One of my favorites! And, one of the more important games in my PC gamer journey! The second one is massive, so get ready!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Suits wrote: October 1st, 2019, 7:55 pm
hazeredmist wrote: October 1st, 2019, 8:38 am Playing Untitled Goose Game. It's nice to be playing something everyone is talking about from time to time.
I’ve been playing Rhythm Paradise on the Wii too, which is a nice little change. Hugely endearing series that, there has to be one on the way for the Switch soon.
What TV did you use? Just wondering if the timing is ok on a flatscreen?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Simonsloth wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 9:59 pm
Suits wrote: October 1st, 2019, 7:55 pm I’ve been playing Rhythm Paradise on the Wii too, which is a nice little change. Hugely endearing series that, there has to be one on the way for the Switch soon.
Sony PVM 20M4E - Zero lag, looks great.

I originally played it on my Wii U on a modern display and it was pretty much unplayable in the later levels.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Suits wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 10:07 pm
Simonsloth wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 9:59 pm
Suits wrote: October 1st, 2019, 7:55 pm I’ve been playing Rhythm Paradise on the Wii too, which is a nice little change. Hugely endearing series that, there has to be one on the way for the Switch soon.
Sony PVM 20M4E - Zero lag, looks great.

I originally played it on my Wii U on a modern display and it was pretty much unplayable in the later levels.
I thought as much. It’s difficult to know sometimes with the Wii as it straddled the standard definition/HD shift. I wouldn’t even be asking this question about a PS3 or 360 game!

My relatively recently acquired CRT is relegated to the back of a cupboard so I’ll set aside some time in a few weeks to give rhythm paradise, point blank and maybe some donkey konga a whirl.
Suits

Post by Suits »

The Wii looks blooming phenomenal on a CRT.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I got sent Code Vein as a rental the other day and decided to give it a spin. I knew nothing about what kind of game it was at all.

Totally not my cup of tea at all it turns out to be an anime style Dark Souls type game where everyone has lost their memory. Translation seems weird as characters are named after their demeanor. It has an in depth character creator at the start and a semi decent tutorial and the combat reminds me of Dark Souls as well (well the little of Dark Souls I have played).

Untitled Goose Game is more fun when playing with my 3 year old as he seems obsessed with stitching up the gardener. He found pinching his wellies to put in the lake hilarious.

After buying the season pass for around £5 a while back I gave The Council a go. A strange episodic game, the character models are really off putting and you have to decide which avenues/conversations to pursue knowing you will not be able to do others later. Basically you have points you can apply in game to certain options. For example you could spend 3 points to be able to question someone specifically however further down the line this means you cannot open a door or have an in to a conversation as you cannot unlock the knowledge.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

DomsBeard wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 10:57 am After buying the season pass for around £5 a while back I gave The Council a go. A strange episodic game, the character models are really off putting and you have to decide which avenues/conversations to pursue knowing you will not be able to do others later. Basically you have points you can apply in game to certain options. For example you could spend 3 points to be able to question someone specifically however further down the line this means you cannot open a door or have an in to a conversation as you cannot unlock the knowledge.
That's it, I'm not stanning for any more games on here. No more. Finito! :lol:

Don't worry about points allocation too much if you continue with it. The game is supposed to be balanced around giving you a good experience no matter what route you go. Sure, you will not be able to make some decisions, but that's ok, roll with it. The system really fills out as the game goes on.

I found putting points into Diplomacy early on meant that I got more involved in decisions that I might have been locked out of and maybe then been put off by.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ThirdMan wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 3:41 pm
duskvstweak wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 6:13 pmThe second one is massive, so get ready!
I hear it's possible to import my character into the second game. That's one hell of a journey.
That is true. And it can be! But, you couldn't make half-orcs in BG1 so I made a new character in the second one just for that reason. And then there's Throne of Bhaal...
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Virtua Racing on the Switch.

This is great - exactly what I hoped it would be, and a fantastic conversion. Spent a while last night beating the Beginner track, and getting a place on the Medium track. Has that addictive quality I used to get from Sega Rally.
macstat

Post by macstat »

New expansion for Destiny 2 will probably take what left i have of my free time. At least till Switcher comes out ;)
So far im enjoying myself. I was never a huge fan of Destiny story since its another space epic, but i liked Eriana-3 story so im enjoying this one a little bit more.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Tried Mafia III again and enjoying it more. Picked it up for a fiver from morrisons. Its definitely style over substance but if it keeps me busy then I'm happy for that price.

Quite interesting main character but the story hasn't quite hit the mark of Mafia II for me, even though I am enjoying it.

Can see the gameplay loop getting samey which might drag its heels. It's a shame as the missions in the 2nd game were great. Really loved Mafia II
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The core loop in 3 does get a bit dull after a while, but the set piece missions more than make up for it for me (even if there aren’t as many of them in the second two thirds of the game as there are in the first).
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Why on earth have I never picked up Viewtiful Joe until now? Just arrived for GameCube from eBay and it’s incredible!!!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

stvnorman wrote: October 4th, 2019, 6:38 pm Why on earth have I never picked up Viewtiful Joe until now? Just arrived for GameCube from eBay and it’s incredible!!!
Haha yes, amazing game. First time round I got stuck on the shark boss and never got past it. I recommend playing on easy if you find you hit a brick wall at any point. Believe me, the challenge is still there plenty so! I started replaying it ages back and got further, but I honestly can't remember now if I ever finished it or not. The second game is supposed to be great too. I own it but don't think I've ever tried it. Even the DS game was great, and had some cool Resident Evil homage stages in it.

A re-release of the two main games would be much appreciated.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I just turned on the phantom pain to play through the story missions and forgot how overwhelming it is. The base and staff management features are very deep and I was greeted by 10 minutes of notifications.

There had been 136 attempts to steal stuff from me and 135 failed. Go me! I’d managed to accrue millions of GMP but I still can’t afford some of the weapons.

I forgot about that side which I was very fond of. It took peace walkers quite modest low key attempts and multiplied by ten. I ended up auto sorting my staff as there are nearly 3000 of them!

Half an hour later I’m loading the prologue
Suits

Post by Suits »

Me and my mate just finished Goose Game in one sitting with a pizza and few beers.

A fun game played like that for sure.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Fun fact: If you type in "beers" into the forum's search engine you get 35 results (36 now I guess), a staggering 17 of which are from Suits. Second place being Stanshall with a mere 4. I'm seeing you, gentlemen. :P