Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Alex79 »

Anyone played Greedfall? Looks really nice, it's an RPG set in the 1700s, fantasy Witcher/Dragon Age type thing except from the screenshots it looks more set around the American revolution time (could be wrong). It's on PS Now, I think I'm going to give it a try after Death Stranding.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

For a while I've been thinking about going back to Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 again, so I finally got around to it. I was a bit apprehensive going in after some time away, wondering if it would hold up. And so far it really does. The intro sequence is really fantastic. Not just the bombastic God of War style action scenes with the big battle, but the early story moments when things settle down a bit and it sets up the groundwork for the rest of the game. It does a fantastic job of setting to mood. Also I started from a fresh file this time around, instead of going on another NG+ run, so I'm going through the unlocks from scratch again. Combat does feel a bit restrictive early on because of that, but it's still pretty satisfying to engage in moment-to-moment. But it's fun to have a reason to explore every little corner of the world again.

Also on a whim decided to boot up Need for Speed: Underground as well. This is sort of me picking back up my little NFS nostalgia trip that I was on back around the new year. So far it's fun, although I'm realising why this one hasn't made me feel the pull to come back to it as much as the others. Racing still feels good, but not quite as good as the sequel. In general the game feels simpler and just kind of... less interesting I guess. The career is just a string of events you pick from the menu as you're given them. And all the tracks do kind of feel very similar, and reuse a lot of the same sections pretty frequently too. They're not bad tracks, and actually racing is fun, but yeah, the later games definitely feel like they are a much more thorough experience. I'm digging the soundtrack though. All the nostalgia comes flooding back listening to all this edgy early 2000s nu metal etc. Fun stuff.
Alex79uk wrote: September 20th, 2020, 12:49 pm Anyone played Greedfall? Looks really nice, it's an RPG set in the 1700s, fantasy Witcher/Dragon Age type thing except from the screenshots it looks more set around the American revolution time (could be wrong). It's on PS Now, I think I'm going to give it a try after Death Stranding.
Yeah I played it, and I liked it a lot. It's very rough around the edges, but it has a pretty unique setting, which goes in to some interesting areas. It's set in a fantasy version of colonial times, and it explores those themes quite extensively. I really like the world and atmosphere too.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Alex79uk wrote: September 20th, 2020, 12:49 pm Anyone played Greedfall? Looks really nice, it's an RPG set in the 1700s, fantasy Witcher/Dragon Age type thing except from the screenshots it looks more set around the American revolution time (could be wrong). It's on PS Now, I think I'm going to give it a try after Death Stranding.
Played it a fair bit, need to go back and finish it at some point.

It plays like a slightly jankier version of Dragon Age Inquisition, but has I think a much more interesting plot. The subtitles suffer from some odd typos but the spoken delivery is great.

It’s a solid 7/10.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I keep eyeing Greedfall, probably one I'll pick up sometime in the future (kinda hoping it turns up on PS+ sooner than later).
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

These days it's mostly Marvel Puzzle Quest and Persona 5 Royal for me. P5 works great as my new exercise bike game
I've heard its passable, though the setting may be uncomfortable for some(racism, from what I've heard)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks for the Greedfall replies, all. Yes, I've heard that it's fairly true to colonial times, raisinbman.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2

Got this one on a bit of a whim, kept hearing about how good it was and realised something upbeat and freeform, completely free of conflict and violence would actually really hit the spot right now. Never played any skate games in the past or any sports games of any kind I don't think, but I really enjoy this. The parks are really fun to knock about in and get to know, learning tricks and trying to get new high scores is amazing (and I'm not usually a person who pays attention to scores in games) and the two-minute timer for each run means you can pick up and play really easily but there's a strong "one more go" aspect that keeps me glued to it. I've unlocked about half the parks at the moment across the tours for both THPS 1 + 2 and I'm loving it.

Nowhere Prophet

Needed another deck building game to play on the Switch after SteamWorld Quest but this is about as different as you can get while still being essentially about cards. It's more of a caravan management survival game, but with combat being based around two decks of cards (your leader's and your followers') and I find it tough as nails. It is also a roguelike, although seemingly without many unlocks in the early game so at the moment it just means there's permadeath as far as I'm concerned.

I have done a few runs now, and will probably keep a habit of doing one every night or every two nights, as the combat is fun, if frustrating. I initially found it felt very unfair. To play cards you need to spend energy, each card costs 1-7 energy to play for example, and you start the fight with 3 energy and get more with each turn. So you can only play low level cards to start with. The enemies however will somehow play a 4, 5, 3 and 1 energy card all at once in the first turn so the battle becomes about watching your cards get shredded as soon as you place them because the opponent obviously has the upper hand.

There are ways to mitigate this which the game doesn't really do a good job of explaining, such as spending the first couple of turns killing enemy units so you can then field your own heavies to kill the enemy leader, and overall it is engaging if still occasionally very frustrating. I would have beaten the opening map last night if I hadn't got into a random battle with a completely overpowered opponent who basically eviscerated every card I played and my main health bar, and (the other quite annoying thing with this game) there is rarely anywhere you can heal, and if there is then there are only finite opportunities to heal at that location.

Anyway I don't know why I still like it and keep thinking about it but I do, and will keep playing it in the hopes of eventually progressing.

Edit: had my best run yet, made it into the later maps and unlocked a bunch of stuff so the game is now back in my good books.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I persevered all the way through Duke Nukem 3D on Switch, partly because it’s still quite enjoyable, but mostly because it’s like a car crash you can’t stop looking at!

Still enjoying Mario Sunshine on Gamecube. I actually got 3D All Stars last week, but am being stubborn because I wanted to finally play through the original version first, so it’s still sealed in the box it came in!

Also started Vanquish on PS4, and I’m having a lot of fun running and sliding and shooting stuff! Moves at a hell of a pace and still looks nice, and I’m not a big boss fight fan but the couple I’ve done so far are bonkers!
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Vanquish brings back great memories, love that game, weirdly it is the only Platinum game I have got on with. Really hope there is a second game.

I have started playing Horizon Zero Dawn in my quest to get through the PS4 exclusives I missed and I think it's really good. I don't care too much about the story so far but I absolutely adore the combat, it's so much fun and can be quite strategic with how you take down the robots in a variety of ways. I am intrigued by the history of the world and how these robots came about, do they delve into this later in the game?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Angry_Kurt wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 9:49 am I am intrigued by the history of the world and how these robots came about, do they delve into this later in the game?
Yes, they tell you everything. I actually enjoyed the story more than the gameplay with this one.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

It takes a while for the narrative to get going in HZD but once it does I think it's genuinely excellent sci fi storytelling.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Started Destiny 2 now it's all on Game Pass. Light level currently 751 so going to work through it to be ready for the DLC out November 10th.

Will be on tonight if anyone wants to be in my Fireteam
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

For those who were chatting about Greedfall & haven't picked it up, its on sale on the PS store. With PS+ its €16.99, so whatever that is in pounds.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've put a couple of hours in to the SNES Super Mario Picross on Switch. It's Picross, so yeah it's great. Bit disappointed with the puzzles so far just in that they're not anything to do with Mario. Maybe the later ones are, but they've just been random stuff so far, like letters or animals and stuff. Still, enjoying it.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

DomsBeard wrote: September 25th, 2020, 3:56 pm Started Destiny 2 now it's all on Game Pass. Light level currently 751 so going to work through it to be ready for the DLC out November 10th.

Crikey need to get it up to 1040 apparently to be able to do everything!. Best get to work

Pretty sure Greedfall is on ps now if you have it.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

DomsBeard wrote: September 25th, 2020, 3:56 pm Started Destiny 2 now it's all on Game Pass. Light level currently 751 so going to work through it to be ready for the DLC out November 10th.

Crikey need to get it up to 1040 apparently to be able to do everything!. Best get to work

Pretty sure Greedfall is on ps now if you have it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah Greedfall is on PS Now. Got it downloaded ready for my next game.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

DomsBeard wrote: September 25th, 2020, 10:09 pm

Welcome to the grind! You should find the trip to 1000 fairly easy. Just start with Forsaken, move onto Shadowkeep then see what's left from the current season. I'm happy to help out where I can, though the instance level balancing is not as smooth as in other games (Elder Scrolls, etc)
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

It just occurred to me that a few weeks back I played Malicious: Fallen but forgot to talk about it, despite having some thoughts on it. It's a game with some interesting ideas, but the execution leaves a whole lot to be desired. The basic concept is that it's something of a cross between a musou/Warriors game, with a Mega Man style boss rush structure to it. You start off with a handful of levels you can attempt in any order you like, with each consisting of little more than an arena where you fight a boss, surrounded by groups of smaller fodder enemies. When you beat the boss you unlock a new weapon that is sort of themed around what they used. Then once you beat them all you unlock the final boss.

I kind of like the idea of taking a game in this genre and changing the focus to more meaningful opponents, and making it based on a short play time. The whole game is less than three hours long, so it feels like it's encouraging you to experiment with different approaches on multiple attempts. The art style is also pretty nice. With a sort of watercolour palette to it, and some cool otherworldly anime elements.

But a lot about how it all works in practice is not fun at all. Combat feels sort of flat and weak, making these big boss encounters feel a bit bland and not as bombastic as they could. So the thing you spend most of your time doing, and what should be the centrepiece of the experience, is just rather dull. The controls are pretty awkward too, as they way it deals with the extra weapons you unlock is quite clunky. Most of the new attacks you get from new weapons fit on to your basic combos you start with, extending them by switching weapons during said combos. That could be really cool, but the buttons to switch weapons are on the D-pad. It feels inelegant, and there's a big issue with how it plays in to the combo system as well. Most combos start off with your basic fists you start the game with, so you'll pretty much always want to have them equipped by default. Yet with these combos where you switch weapon in the latter half of the string, it will stay with that weapon equipped at the end, forcing you to manually switch back afterwards. It really kills the pace of combat and makes managing weapons a big pain getting in the way of things. It also highlights how most of the weapons don't really do much, and have few attacks of their own.

There's also this powered-up state that you can go in to (forget the name) which is again a potentially interesting idea, but is poorly implemented. You have a sort of score that the game tracks as you fight, which also acts as an energy resource for this super-powered state. As you kill more of the fodder enemies, you collect more of this resource, which then drains over time when you activate this state. In this state your attacks are powered up, and if you're able to kill multiple enemies in quick succession using this, it gives you a big boost to the amount of energy you get back too. So sounds like it could be a cool idea to keep the pace of combat going, but it's poorly explained, and makes the final boss an awful experience. I'll get on to that later, but in terms of explanation, while the game tells you about this mechanic, it doesn't make it clear how you're supposed to use it. Once you activate this state, that isn't all you have to do, you also have to hold down another buttons to power up your attacks while you're in it. Otherwise your power will just be draining away for no reason. There's zero reason why you wouldn't want to boost your attack power in this state, so I have no idea why this extra step is needed. It's also not clear at first that you're supposed to use it to kill lots of enemies in a row either. Before I stumbled on how this mechanic is supposed to work, I was getting awful ranks on early missions because there was a "Combo" stat on the results screen that I was getting nothing for, having no idea that it actually referred to this mechanic.

And then there is the final boss. After you've done all the normal levels, this one unlocks, and bloody hell is it awful. It's this huge mountain-sized blob creature, and fighting it is extremely tedious and confusing. Despite this being the point where you would expect you get a chance to put all your new skills to the test at once, fighting it mostly involves using the homing ranged attacks on specific points. It has a bunch of attacks that take a long time to play out, and can easily destroy you if they hit you, but are easy to avoid if you just keep moving. So you usually can't stop and hit it with your melee weapons, you just have to keep moving most of the time spamming these weak homing attacks. First you have to attack some floating obelisk things, which then opens an opportunity to actually hit the weak spots on the boss. Both these things require you to be in the powered-up state to actually do damage to, which isn't made clear at all. So between attempts at trying to actually make any tiny amount of progress, you have to spend minutes at a time farming energy from the smaller enemies that spawn around the arena. So having to deal with this obtuse and tedious crap, never feeling like I was making any progress, and dying over and over to those brutal attacks on the times I did get caught out by them, I eventually threw in the towel and gave up. I'm guessing this might not even be the final boss either, or at least not the final phase. I would assume a game like this would do something like that, but I never got to see past this point, and don't much care to. Oh, and a little thing that made it even worse, the game only gives you three lives to complete the whole thing. I lost a few on previous bosses, so I was basically screwed on this final one.

That's why I didn't bother to talk about this before. Since the game is so short, I was initially expecting to only have to talk about it in the Games Completed thread, but when I got to this point I was so aggravated by it that I just wanted to throw it away and not think about it anymore. This isn't even the first time this happened. I actually bought this game quite a few years ago. On my first attempt things went pretty similarly, although I didn't get as far. This was me giving it a second chance. It's kind of a shame, because this idea has potential in it. A boss rush musou with mid-combo weapon switching that lets you tackle it from different directions sounds cool, and I like the art design. But this game is just bad.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I started Dead Space 2 last night! That's an intense first five chapters...