Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
User avatar
Cornelius_Smiff
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

Was fortunate enough to get a rather lovely bonus in my latest pay packet, so I invested in upgrading my aging PC and a Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset.

Been really digging Beat Saber and Elite Dangerous with this baby. HL: Alyx im waiting for annual leave next week so I can binge in one go (being the HL superfan that I am).

User avatar
Truk_Kurt
Member
Posts: 196
Joined: July 9th, 2015, 10:00 pm

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I'm sure you will enjoy it, stepping into that world in VR is quite the experience.

User avatar
Cornelius_Smiff
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

Truk_Kurt wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 2:43 pm I'm sure you will enjoy it, stepping into that world in VR is quite the experience.
Already really into it. I have to say there have been a few hiccups. The Creed game is in my opinion pretty terrible and I cannot say much about the Star Wars Vader title. Lacking... I think is the best phrase I can use.

Beat Saber is lovely though.

User avatar
Tolkientaters
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: April 22nd, 2021, 10:39 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Tolkientaters »

Cornelius_Smiff wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 2:33 pm Been really digging Beat Saber and Elite Dangerous with this baby. HL: Alyx im waiting for annual leave next week so I can binge in one go (being the HL superfan that I am).
I'd also recommend Pistol Whip, it's Beat Saber mixed with an light gun game, it's simple, but it's a lot of fun.

User avatar
Tolkientaters
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: April 22nd, 2021, 10:39 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Tolkientaters »

I'm getting into Dragon's Dogma for the first time and really enjoying it, it's nice to play an open world fantasy game with a good combat system. I do wish there was less pop in on the PS4 version, I'm not a quality snob, but it's pretty bad.

User avatar
Jon Cheetham
Member
Posts: 431
Joined: October 29th, 2019, 12:49 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Amazing game that, Gransys isn't the biggest open world in the business or the prettiest but to me it is one of the realest feeling and is so rewarding to explore. You're in for one hell of an adventure.

User avatar
Kal_Luke
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: February 19th, 2021, 11:44 am

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Kal_Luke »

I started Divinity: Original Sin 2 on Switch yesterday. I bet it’s great but I really seemed to struggle with having the attention span for it. This is definitely a me problem.

User avatar
Truk_Kurt
Member
Posts: 196
Joined: July 9th, 2015, 10:00 pm

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Cornelius_Smiff wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 2:51 pm
Truk_Kurt wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 2:43 pm I'm sure you will enjoy it, stepping into that world in VR is quite the experience.
Already really into it. I have to say there have been a few hiccups. The Creed game is in my opinion pretty terrible and I cannot say much about the Star Wars Vader title. Lacking... I think is the best phrase I can use.

Beat Saber is lovely though.
Cool, though I was more referring into the world of Half Life

User avatar
Simonsloth
Member
Posts: 1533
Joined: November 22nd, 2017, 7:17 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Simonsloth »

Tolkientaters wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 12:16 am I'm getting into Dragon's Dogma for the first time and really enjoying it, it's nice to play an open world fantasy game with a good combat system. I do wish there was less pop in on the PS4 version, I'm not a quality snob, but it's pretty bad.
It’s a great game which is all the better for the pawn system. I must admit I have Jon to thank for his pawn getting me through the latter stages of the game and good old Taffer would be a welcome addition to any party.

A word of warning though is I found It does unbalance the early game having an overlevelled friend pawn but I just thought it added to the silliness that runs through the game.

Feel free to add me and borrow my pawn. (apologies in advance for my psn ID)

My psn ID is fatboyslothsime

User avatar
Tolkientaters
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: April 22nd, 2021, 10:39 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Tolkientaters »

Simonsloth wrote: June 4th, 2021, 11:16 pm
Feel free to add me and borrow my pawn.
I might do that, I barreled through the main game and to the credits, but there's still a lot of "endgame" to take care of.

User avatar
Simonsloth
Member
Posts: 1533
Joined: November 22nd, 2017, 7:17 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Simonsloth »

Tolkientaters wrote: June 5th, 2021, 1:23 am
Simonsloth wrote: June 4th, 2021, 11:16 pm
Feel free to add me and borrow my pawn.
I might do that, I barreled through the main game and to the credits, but there's still a lot of "endgame" to take care of.
Wow! You did that quickly.

User avatar
Jon Cheetham
Member
Posts: 431
Joined: October 29th, 2019, 12:49 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Simonsloth wrote: June 4th, 2021, 11:16 pm
Tolkientaters wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 12:16 am I'm getting into Dragon's Dogma for the first time and really enjoying it, it's nice to play an open world fantasy game with a good combat system. I do wish there was less pop in on the PS4 version, I'm not a quality snob, but it's pretty bad.
It’s a great game which is all the better for the pawn system. I must admit I have Jon to thank for his pawn getting me through the latter stages of the game and good old Taffer would be a welcome addition to any party.

A word of warning though is I found It does unbalance the early game having an overlevelled friend pawn but I just thought it added to the silliness that runs through the game.

Feel free to add me and borrow my pawn. (apologies in advance for my psn ID)

My psn ID is fatboyslothsime
Nice to see you carrying on Dragon's Dogma tradition and sending your pawn off to help others Simon!

If you want to take Taffer as well TolkienTaters I'm on RunTheJewels1 on PSN.

User avatar
Seph
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: February 12th, 2021, 2:25 pm
Location: Peterborough

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Seph »

I was playing The Last of Us Part 2 (and enjoying it too, if that's the right word) and after 15 hours of work my PS4 decided it was too grim and has ended its life. And as I'm not on PS+ and I hadn't packed up my saves recently that's all my progress lost on this and Shibuya Scramble (10 hours). Isn't gaming fun...

User avatar
dezm0nd
Moderator
Posts: 4202
Joined: August 28th, 2012, 9:48 am
Location: Leighton Buzzard

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by dezm0nd »

I fired up Galaxy 2 with the intent of a fresh play through but part of me believes that it's coming to switch so when I saw I had the green star challenge to do from my 11 year old save, I decided to give it a shot.

For those who arent aware, this is a brand new set of stars within the levels of Galaxy 2 and they're dotted about in hard to reach and unusual places. It might sound frustrating and i first i found it to be so but once you understand what the designers are doing (and that's pushing your skills and the level design to its limits) then you find yourself almost playing a brand new Galaxy game. It's more tthan just Galaxy 1 with Luigi. These are fresh comet stars (the siren is still irritating) and I'm loving it. I'm currently sat at a combined total of 190 stars and I'm glad I've come back to it

I tried to do it after beating Galaxy 2 with mario but it was too much too soon but having this break from it and remembering how good Galaxy is with 3d all stars, I've found myself engrossed with finding all these devious green stars.

User avatar
Quiet Paul
Member
Posts: 72
Joined: May 18th, 2015, 4:00 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Quiet Paul »

Although things in Scotland are opening up and I could go see family, I’ve decided instead to knuckle down and 100% Castlevania Anniversary Collection.

As I mentioned in my Castlevania thoughts, this is a series I’ve just bounced off but after completing the first and loving it I decided to have a right go!

I cheated with Simon’s Quest (cos it was shite) but the achievement still popped so fuck it. Had a blast with 3 and its branching paths and characters. 4 was good but definitely missed something, though I’m not sure what. I thought the two GB games were excellent. I’m now on Bloodlines Stage 3 and so far, so good!

I was playing Returnal for a bit but I’m just not enjoying it. I’ll go back to it eventually I think but after getting to the second level and still thinking “meh”, I was disappointed.

User avatar
stvnorman
Member
Posts: 801
Joined: March 19th, 2013, 8:09 pm
Location: Keysoe, Bedfordshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by stvnorman »

I’ve had The Saboteur on PS3 hanging around waiting to be played for years, so decided to give that a go. Bit basic by modern standards, but it’s a good premise, the art style holds up and I’m having fun with the World War II setting. Guess I’m most of the way through and I’m glad I finally got to it!

Also got through most of the first world of Spyro 3 on the PS4 Reignited Trilogy, but it’s too much more of the same (except for playing as a stupid kangaroo on top) after finishing the first two relatively recently, so I decided I’m done with that.

And, inspired by the recent Cane and Rinse podcast, I’ve gone back to Wave Race on GameCube. Took a bit more getting back into that I expected, but those water physics still feel so good and it still looks gorgeous. What I wouldn’t give for a new one on Switch!

User avatar
Seph
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: February 12th, 2021, 2:25 pm
Location: Peterborough

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Seph »

stvnorman wrote: June 6th, 2021, 9:24 am I’ve had The Saboteur on PS3 hanging around waiting to be played for years, so decided to give that a go. Bit basic by modern standards, but it’s a good premise, the art style holds up and I’m having fun with the World War II setting. Guess I’m most of the way through and I’m glad I finally got to it!
I enjoyed that game for what it was. As you say, the art is great and it's a different approach to the world war story. Unfortunately for me I hit a glitch when a character from the side missions kept getting killed during a chase scene and it gave me the game over screen every time. There was no way around it, so I never finished it. I guess it would have been developed better if EA didn't shut down the studio like they have with many others.

User avatar
stvnorman
Member
Posts: 801
Joined: March 19th, 2013, 8:09 pm
Location: Keysoe, Bedfordshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by stvnorman »

Seph wrote: June 6th, 2021, 9:41 am
stvnorman wrote: June 6th, 2021, 9:24 am I’ve had The Saboteur on PS3 hanging around waiting to be played for years, so decided to give that a go. Bit basic by modern standards, but it’s a good premise, the art style holds up and I’m having fun with the World War II setting. Guess I’m most of the way through and I’m glad I finally got to it!
I enjoyed that game for what it was. As you say, the art is great and it's a different approach to the world war story. Unfortunately for me I hit a glitch when a character from the side missions kept getting killed during a chase scene and it gave me the game over screen every time. There was no way around it, so I never finished it. I guess it would have been developed better if EA didn't shut down the studio like they have with many others.
Oh no. That stinks. I’ve seen a few soldiers floating over canals but nothing more serious so far.

User avatar
Caligulas Horse
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: March 28th, 2019, 5:08 pm

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Caligulas Horse »

Started on Resident Evil Village over the weekend. It's my first time playing one of these with headphones, it really ratchets up the tension and I'm not sure how it's taken me this long to try it. During the introductory traipse through the dark every rustle or snort was getting to me even though I've played enough of these to know I probably wouldn't get touched.

I'm still waiting for it to open up and get into a steady rhythm. One too many in-game cutscenes, but I think I've been tossed about and mutilated enough now! The splashes of action have given me high hopes and I'm loving all the bits they've brought back from 4, though a little sad the old shopkeeper didn't make it to Romania.

User avatar
Tolkientaters
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: April 22nd, 2021, 10:39 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Tolkientaters »

I got to the credits in Dragon's Dogma and just started playing the endgame content and wow I didn't expect the difficulty to go up that much, I would've been destroyed by some undead and dogs of I didn't have Taffer with me.

Post Reply