Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Flabyo »

Speed runners tend to use the pro controller but with the motion controls turned on. There are some things you can’t do fast enough using standard FPS controls.

Saying that I play using normal FPS twin stick my pro controller and do just fine. But I’m aware that there’s a definite advantage to learning the motion controls if you can.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Less what I've been playing, and more what she's been playing.

Still in the early stages of a new relationship, and getting to go one another, my partner can around to my place and ask to play a game. There was talk on the weekend at a party about the violence in Mortal Kombat X, with disgusted looks from my girlfriend as another friend showed her the graphic, bone-breaking highlights on their phone. She doesn't like violence, and hates horror movies, so you can imagine she was repulsed... and yet, curious.

So, of course, the game I ended up playing with my feminist, academically, ethically inclined girlfriend was Mortal Kombat, on the PS3.

I though I had X, but it turns out I only had the 2011 reboot. It's not like she was unfamiliar with the game; she told me she played Mortal Kombat before when she was younger, against her brother. She mentioned that the graphics looked amazing: she's not a big gamer, so from her perspective, yeah, I guess it does.

We played two player local, once I figured out where that setting was. There was the occasional pressing of the circle button, which of course takes you back to the previous menu, but eventually we got to some battling. The only catch was that I was not allowed to select Freddy Krugger; everyone is fine, but my god, she hates horror movies!

We played quite a few rounds. Of course, there was a lot of air punching and kicking; plenty of "give me a second... just to figure out the buttons"; and many failed fatality attempts. In fact, no successful fatalities at all.

Afterwards she felt better. In the context of the game she found the violence kinda goofy more than horrifying. Her only complaint was that there wasn't more female characters, but she felt better after kicking the crap out of things. Work and private life is a bit stressful, so being able to stab my character in the neck, multiple times, was a cathartic release.

So far, what I've discovered about my partner: games like Abzu and Flower, games I wrongly assumed she'd be dazzled by, bored her. Games like Mortal Kombat - kinda fun.

In conclusion: assume = ass + u + me. :lol:
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 27th, 2018, 10:37 pm
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: February 27th, 2018, 10:03 pm Anyhow, it's a really solid and streamlined racer. It's very intense too, and better for short bursts than long sessions. It is a fast, twitchy game that requires a little nuance to master. Thank god for my shmupy gaming background!
I don't know if you have any experience with the F-Zero franchise and GX in particular, but if you do, how would you say this compares to them?
I've only got experience with the Wii U version (Neo) and my quick take is: looks like WipEout, plays like F-Zero. The track designs and controls/handling aren't quite on F-Zero levels (then again, what is), but they have tried very hard, with a worthwhile futuristic racer as a result. They even got the GX announcer in there!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Michiel K wrote: March 1st, 2018, 12:12 am I've only got experience with the Wii U version (Neo) and my quick take is: looks like WipEout, plays like F-Zero. The track designs and controls/handling aren't quite on F-Zero levels (then again, what is), but they have tried very hard, with a worthwhile futuristic racer as a result. They even got the GX announcer in there!
Sounds great. I almost impulse-bought the WiiU version, but I thankfully looked it up beforehand and since the Switch version seems to be an expanded port of the former, I'll save it for my eventual Switch purchase. I'm sorta really looking forward to this all of a sudden! :P
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

^^^^

I don't know what it's priced at on Switch, but on Wii U it was definitely worth the 20 bucks for the disc version, I feel.

Finally pushed past a part that had me stumped in 2016 Doom's late game, last night. I play on Hurt Me Plenty and Pinky Demons are my bane. I have no problem playing toreador with them, but it's a different thing altogether when there is more than one and I've got Mancubii and Hell Knights coming after me at the same time. Diabolic enemy arrangements! What a rush when you manage to do it, though!

Afterwards, I cleared a particularly tricky Rune Challenge that pits you against a variety of enemies including a Hell Knight with only a shotgun and 1% of health in only 3 tries and I felt pretty godlike.
russ32233

Post by russ32233 »

My Summer Car, for some reason I can not get the car to start. I have checked everything i can think of but I just don't know now
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I’ve now played around 12 hours of Knack and I’m still not sure why. It looks nice and the combat is pretty good, but some of the checkpointing is appalling, to the point where despite obviously being near the end, I’m still thinking if I die one more time here and go all the way back again I’m binning this. I’m clearly enjoying it on some level though, and it’s always nice to get maximum value from a PS+ freebie.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So I fell into the trap of replaying Bloodborne after seeing it being free for ps plus, it has been awhile since I played it and since I played Nioh,Monster Hunter and even DS3 so I was concerned that the combat would`ve lost it`s luster on one hand yeah I mean even with the transforming attacks the combat feels very simple it's alot of R1 pressing(or R2 if you're using the Riflespear) so in that sense yeah but what keeps the gameplay great is the movement, the quicksilver bullets and the regain system in fact this time around Im really appreciating the regain system and how it really ties everything together, for example how you can make bullets and then attacks enemies to get that life back and it is all built around keeping you in the offensive and it's great, that's where the fun of the combat really is so the fact that your combos are really basic doesnt detract too much, btw parrying in this game is so satifying and rewarding it might be my favorite thing in the game XD.

But you know something that isnt fun, grinding for blood vials! Man I fucking hate that it gets in the way of you playing the game, especially in a game where it's whole ethos is encoraging aggression and therefore is gonna make you burn through healing items much quicker, there's no greater turn off then almost beating a boss only for you to go back and see you have no vials for a second attempt and instead you have to spend the next 5 minutes killing mobs to get vials, stuff like this makes me want to stop playing the game, I dont mind dying 100 times as long as I can get to try again but having to farm shit is so annoying I cant state enough times how much I hate it.
Another thing I hate is the camera in many of the boss fights, this time around it really struck me how bad the camera in Cleric Beast and Bloodstarved is, especially Cleric Beast which is the first boss it really gets in the way.

One thing that is kinda of bugging me this time as well is that I have the impression that the game would initially have a much more "open" structure more akin to Dark souls 1 rather then the more linear approach, you can see that in a bunch of instances like that door in Cleric Beast's bridge or the link between Old Yharnam and Yahar'gul, this would alos explain some nonsensical things like the door in Oedon chapel opening after you kill bloodstarved and the snatchers showing up in the streets, I mean it would make alot more sense for you to find a key and open that door or for the snatchers to appear after a moon phase change or if the player reachs a certain level of insight(which is a system i really like but that I feel was underutilized).

But yeah still really enjoying it, Im in forbidden woods now which is one of my favorite areas in the game and I think the best "forest area" in any video game I think it's really well designed, going for a bloodtingue build(because I dont wanna wait until the end of the game to get my favorite weapon the Burial blade,and yeah that still really bothers me) and this time I try and tackle the DLC which I never played.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I just started Ori and Blind Forest! It's...so...pretty!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

DomsBeard wrote: February 28th, 2018, 10:52 am Got rid of Wolfenstein 2 and picked up Fifa 18 and Splatoon 2 on Switch.

Fifa is great on Switch, been sticking to seasons and have a 8-1-2 record so far. I only lost my first game as I went in without looking at the controls. I have had a bit of lag playing it but being able to play it in the bath out ways that!.

Splatoon I have had on for 30 minutes and initial impressions are good. Nobody plays with the gyro controls surely?. Gave me a headache!
Find it hard to play any shooter without gyro controls now. They're a game changer. Hard to use in handheld though.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

As a follow up to my last post, I’ve just finished Knack and it’s very irritating final boss, reiterating my checkpoint frustration; the pre-final boss was at least split into two sections, but not this one. Happy enough I played it through, but if the sequel ever appears on PS+ I’ll be giving it a miss. Now onto my Yakuza 6 “demo” I think...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

A game I definitely haven't been playing is Steins Gate on Vita. I've heard a few people talk about it lately, and suddenly developed an urge to play it. I went to the PSN store knowing I'd got a copy in my library from when it was on PS+, only to find I didn't! Not only that, further investigation reveals it has never been on PS+. Despite me clearly remembering adding it to my basket as a free game a while back.

Except I will obviously didn't.

Bizarre how your mind works, isn't it!

:lol:
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I have to say I am really enjoying Star Wars Battlefront 2 story mode. Combat is way more fun than Wolfenstein 2, plenty of choice of tactics to use in situations.

It does have some issues such as Luke Skywalker looking nothing like or sounding nothing like Luke Skywalker which takes you out of the story a bit but it is a good bit of fiction set in the universe, reminds me of the books I used to read.

I had one game online which didn't blow me away but it was fun to smash people up as Darth Maul. I didn't feel heartbroken that I couldn't choose Vader off the bat.

Splatoon 2 is pure fun, reminds me of Jet Set Radio for some reason and I cannot think why, might be the music?. Just messed around online so far with good success.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Funny thing happened last night. I decided to finally check out Max Payne 3 on my dusty 360, but I couldn't get into it whatsoever, unfortunately. The presentation style has some very interesting elements, but I found the controls to be oddly unresponsive and the gameplay rather unsatisfying as a result.

Just for fun, I decided to revisit Vanquish for a quick comparison. First impressions were rough. This game is ugly as sin and I can't aim worth a damn, I thought. I must be getting old, I thought. These exposition scenes are grating, I thought. Let's finish the first level and call it a night, I thought.

...Next thing I knew, it was 5 in the morning and I had completed the game in one sitting, grinning from ear to ear and yawning around like an idiot. Mikami, you magnificent wizard. If there is one person who knows how to create engaging gameplay systems in this industry, it's you.

It was my first time (properly) going back to it since 2011, and what an incredible ride it's been. Well worth the two hours of sleep I had to contend with.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 5th, 2018, 12:02 pm Funny thing happened last night. I decided to finally check out Max Payne 3 on my dusty 360, but I couldn't get into it whatsoever, unfortunately. The presentation style has some very interesting elements, but I found the controls to be oddly unresponsive and the gameplay rather unsatisfying as a result.

Just for fun, I decided to revisit Vanquish for a quick comparison. First impressions were rough. This game is ugly as sin and I can't aim worth a damn, I thought. I must be getting old, I thought. These exposition scenes are grating, I thought. Let's finish the first level and call it a night, I thought.

...Next thing I knew, it was 5 in the morning and I had completed the game in one sitting, grinning from ear to ear and yawning around like an idiot. Mikami, you magnificent wizard. If there is one person who knows how to create engaging gameplay systems in this industry, it's you.

It was my first time (properly) going back to it since 2011, and what an incredible ride it's been. Well worth the two hours of sleep I had to contend with.
Would love Vanquish on Switch
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yeah, the game is in dire need of a re-release on current platforms, but I suppose the disappointing sale numbers of its initial release aren't exactly making this a priority for the publisher.

If it's an option for you, maybe consider the recent 60fps PC port?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 5th, 2018, 12:02 pm Funny thing happened last night. I decided to finally check out Max Payne 3 on my dusty 360, but I couldn't get into it whatsoever, unfortunately. The presentation style has some very interesting elements, but I found the controls to be oddly unresponsive and the gameplay rather unsatisfying as a result
It has a very slow start, but is honestly worth sticking with. It's my favorite non-GTA Rock* game.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Speaking of Steins;Gate, I finished my first playthrough of Steins;Gate 0, which, for a game with multiple endings, doesn't count as "finishing the game". ;)

I think (not that I'm going to look it up, because I don't want spoilers) that I got one of the more depressing endings on my first go. I'm going through again, with the merciful assistance of the "skip" function.

Still hooked. There's six outcomes, so plenty of digging to do.

Tutturu! :P
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Three down here on Steins;Gate 0 but I will be posting that platinum update as soon as it comes. Its just a shame the skills aren't transferable to Street Fighter V which thanks to the good Michiel has finally become not just a game I love but a game I play as much as my professed admiration for it.

Otherwise I'm continuing Valkyria Chronicles 3 at the slowest pace possible and it's great as expected.

I'm also dabbling in Crazy Taxi, a game I never truly understood as simple as it looks from the outside. Learning how to play it correctly is an experience I can recommend to anyone even though I don't have the scores to back it up just yet.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

mikeleddy83 wrote:
Otherwise I'm continuing Valkyria Chronicles 3 at the slowest pace possible
I’m intrigued. How are you playing this? I though it was Japan only?