Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by ratsoalbion »

Just a pedantic FYI, this is ‘Mega Tunnel Battle’. Battle Royale was a 2011 game.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah that was me being flippant ;)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

MEGA TUNNEL BATTLE!

I’d actually be interested to know how much DNA the two games share.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote: October 21st, 2020, 4:11 pm MEGA TUNNEL BATTLE!

I’d actually be interested to know how much DNA the two games share.
Time to finally join the big boys on stadia Leon? :D :P
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Damn, Judgment has got a fine selection of arcade games! The best in game arcades in any video game yet? I think so! If they just had an Out Run cabinet in there too it'd be perfect. But they've got Fighting Vipers, Virtua Fighter 5, Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone, Puyo Puyo, Motor Raid (first time on a home console!) AND an original House Of The Dead clone. Amazing stuff! Loving wasting all my yen down the arcade tbh.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

One of the reasons I bought it for £10 recently!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The icing on the cake would have been that the pinball table in your apartment was playable. I wonder if any games have ever included a playable pinball table - I can't think of any.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Does Word 97 count?

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Haha I guess it does! I'd forgotten all about that!
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I loved the House if the dead clone
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: October 21st, 2020, 6:26 pm The icing on the cake would have been that the pinball table in your apartment was playable. I wonder if any games have ever included a playable pinball table - I can't think of any.
YOU CAN PLAY THE PINBALL!!

:D :D
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I played another four hours of Judgment last night without advancing the main story line even one step, and had a great time doing side missions and stuff. Really enjoying it still. I popped a trophy last night for playing every arcade game and was amazed to see only 6% of players have that particular trophy. Wow! That's always one of the most exciting things for me in these games, seeing what arcade games there are and playing on them whenever I get chance.

The game suffers from the same questionable attitude towards women as the Yakuza games do. One side mission sees Yagami (who I would argue is almost as cool as Kazuma-san from the mainline series) finding a pantie theif. Despite Yagami, according to the in game lore, obviously being around 40 years old, the mission concluded with the brother of the girl who's panties have been stolen saying, "Hehe maybe she will let YOU see her panties if you play your cards right", or something along those lines. The girl is clearly not a day over 16, and that, along with other lines here and there always make the game feel a little seedy. There is more evidence of this throughout the game, whenever women or sex is referenced. I appreciate this may be a cultural thing, but it'll never sit quite right with me.

That said, I'm enjoying this just as much as Yakuza, and would say so far it's definitely better than Kiwami 1. I'm still early days with the story, so whether it beats out Zero and Kiwami 2 for me remains to be seen. But what I've played has rarely been anything other than pure pleasure.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Yeah, I found the treatment of women to be pretty bad in places. Personally I found the story to be better than Zero.

I would have been the people that didn't unlock all of the arcade games haha. Have you played any tailing missions yet? By the end of the game I literally despised doing them. Also, how are you finding the combat in comparison to Zero?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I only played the house of the dead game in Judgement which was great. Yeah the dating was weird I just stuck with one girl even though it encourages you to mess around.

Bomberman R needs to come out elsewhere it is becoming an obsession :lol: it is just so good and every time I play it I notice another level to it.

I've only just noticed on the side of the screen that not only does it tell you what the player count is in every remaining room but also when you lose 4 rooms (every 90 seconds) it'll show you which rooms will have power ups in and which won't as after each cycle all the rooms get filled with walls to blow up again. Do you go to a quiet room with no power ups or go to a busier one to beef up your character ready for the final Showdown?.

Theres also a lot of different bomberman builds you can choose so you can tackle it in various ways.

Like Fallguys I want it out everywhere so people can experience it.

I played the demo for Immortals Fenyx Rising which is a timed demo on Stadia for a week. Reminded me of Assassins Creed crossed with the aesthetic of Hades (lot of greek gods mentioned) and an unreliable narrator. One I'll keep an eye on the reviews for.

Bought Midnight Evil for 80p on the Switch purely as I was in the mood for a jump scary Halloween game. You basically have to read a story (well have it read to you, on pc you actually read it yourself) whilst looking up to make sure the monsters (Ghoulies rip offs) who can sneak up on you when you're not looking to eat you.

To start with the first few times it was fun but there isn't really any rhyme or reason to your deaths so after the first few deaths it grew a bit old, also the checkpointing isn't great as on death you're sent back a little bit too far in the story.

If you fancy a fun hour on Halloween cheap I'd give it a go.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Angry_Kurt wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 9:31 am Have you played any tailing missions yet? By the end of the game I literally despised doing them. Also, how are you finding the combat in comparison to Zero?
Yeah, they're not especially fun, but not as bad as in Assassin's Creed. The combat seems good so far, not as good as Zero with its three fighting styles, but the two it does have seem pretty decent for mixing things up. One thing I've noticed is that enemies rarely drop cash, meaning you really have to do the side missions to earn money. In Zero you were literally rolling in money from the start!

EDIT: Oh yeah, also, one of my biggest gripes (probably not the right word) with Yakuza was you never looked where you were going, just stared at the mini map all the time. Don't know why I never thought to do this before, but I've turned the mini map off in Judgment. So much better learning the town and actually remembering where locations are. It adds a lot, I think.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

DomsBeard wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 9:44 am
I played the demo for Immortals Fenyx Rising which is a timed demo on Stadia for a week. Reminded me of Assassins Creed crossed with the aesthetic of Hades (lot of greek gods mentioned) and an unreliable narrator. One I'll keep an eye on the reviews for.
How similar is it to Breath of the Wild as that was what a lot of people were comparing it to when it was first revealed.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I can see what they mean Kurt. I'm in the minority of not getting on with BOTW so can't offer much of an expert opinion. In the demo anyway you could pretty much ignore the marker and explore where you like. Art style is similar.

Finished one of the Destiny 2 campaigns that is leaving with the new expansion. Light level now 870. It has its hooks in big time now and already looking forward to the next 2 as I'd never played them before (I think the one I finished was the original Destiny 2 one at launch).
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Got to all the endings of Game Gear Out Run. It’s cut down (except possibly the best music you’ll hear on any version of Out Run), but it’s purpose-built to get the most out of the system, moves at pace and is a lot of fun.

Then I jumped to Road Rash Jailbreak on Game Boy Advance. The police are a bit too aggressive but otherwise this is a really good version and a very fine example of GBA racing done absolutely right.

I’m still going with Secret of Mana on SNES Classic after deciding I’d seen enough last weekend! Wanted to give where I was stuck one more go, and now a few more hours on I can’t leave it alone. And my love / hate relationship with Mario Sunshine on GameCube continues - stupid Mecha Bowser level with the worst checkpointing I’ve ever seen, but again, I can’t leave it alone!
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

did not realize age of mythology rerelease had DLC(or maybe the original did?), really surprised me lol, don't think i've heard anyone say that about it before...
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I have been playing Ratchet & Clank into the nexus! Which is the last PS3 R&C game, that got released during the PS4 launch for some reason, and its very fun. Has some real interesting ideas I hope are worked into a rift apart or whatever the PS5 one is called, seems like it will be.