Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Flabyo »

Bouncing back and forth between Mortal Kombat 11 and Middle Earth: Shadow of War.

Neither is quite holding my attention fully yet, but that’s more down to me than the games. I expect to commit a lot more time to MK in the back end of May when I’ve got less other things going on.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

As someone who really really enjoyed AC Odyssey and who probably enjoys open world stuff more than I realise, I'm very tempted by Days Gone. I'm just starting to fall in love with Dragon's Dogma though so I think I'll wait til DG goes on sale.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

stvnorman wrote: April 27th, 2019, 7:49 pm After decades of trying, I finally got to the end of Out Run today! I’ve come within touching distance a couple of times on the Sega Ages version on Switch but this time, apart from a brush with one other car, everything went right and I had seconds to spare. In all my years of gaming, I think this tops the list of my most satisfying accomplishments, and my heart is racing again just thinking about it! And I got a nice silver car as a reward too, so ready to go with that on the next route.
This guy deserves more high fives than he got for this! Nice job mate!

I long ago came to terms with the fact I will never achieve this...

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Pitwar wrote: April 29th, 2019, 9:09 am I've played a few hours of Days Gone over the weekend, and I'm really digging it.

I'm really pleased I picked it up and look forward to cracking on with it this week,
Hoping to get stuck into this myself sooner than later and looking forward to it after spending a good few hours watching streamers playing it over the weekend.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Magical_Isopod wrote: April 26th, 2019, 2:50 pm I tried playing Wild Guns for about an hour and like... This game is way too hard. To the point of being not fun. Even on easy, you're constantly getting hit with cheap deaths (like rolling out of enemy fire and directly into enemy fire, constantly), and while the game looks and sounds great, the difficulty is just killing the experience. It doesn't even seem to be a matter of "git gud", it seems to be more "git lucky" than anything. Maybe there's something I'm missing.
You can shoot enemy bullets, Homie von Homenstein!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Michiel K wrote: April 29th, 2019, 8:04 pm
Magical_Isopod wrote: April 26th, 2019, 2:50 pm I tried playing Wild Guns for about an hour and like... This game is way too hard. To the point of being not fun. Even on easy, you're constantly getting hit with cheap deaths (like rolling out of enemy fire and directly into enemy fire, constantly), and while the game looks and sounds great, the difficulty is just killing the experience. It doesn't even seem to be a matter of "git gud", it seems to be more "git lucky" than anything. Maybe there's something I'm missing.
You can shoot enemy bullets, Homie von Homenstein!
Mijn God, that makes entirely too much sense. The cursor seems a little slow for me to keep up, but I'll have to retry with this insight in mind.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I took a break from Valkyria Chronicles last week and got back to Darkest Dungeon. It's been a year so I was rusty and that rust got a few characters killed, but I'm back in the swing of things.
It really is a great game, makes me wish I had a laptop or Switch to carry that thing around.
This time around, I finally saw the light with Jesters and using Vestals as more than just healers.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

My copy of Darius Cozmic Collection (Switch - regular default/vanilla edition) arrived in the post yesterday, so I've been playing a small amount of Darius Gaiden in hand-held mode, and boy, is it ever so glorious!

(This Eurogamer review outlines features and criticisms, for those more curious.)

And of course, mileage with depend on how much you like the Darius series to begin with. But if you're like me, and you do, it's more M2 goodness.

Side note: while regular editions of the game are still pretty widely available (well, widely available for a Japanese-only-no-digital-copy-phyiscal-only release), good luck tracking down a reasonably priced special edition - mostly snapped up and going for very inflated prices.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

duskvstweak wrote: April 29th, 2019, 11:30 pm I took a break from Valkyria Chronicles last week and got back to Darkest Dungeon. It's been a year so I was rusty and that rust got a few characters killed, but I'm back in the swing of things.
It really is a great game, makes me wish I had a laptop or Switch to carry that thing around.
This time around, I finally saw the light with Jesters and using Vestals as more than just healers.
I love the game, but I feel like I have to level 20 characters at once and that sucks the fun out of it for me. I also never really got into the synergies/advanced gameplay. I must go back to it at some point with a guide or at least a clue as to what I'm doing (I pretty much had the same party composition for all dungeons - Occultist - Houndmaster - Dismas- Hellion - for example).
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Chopper wrote: April 30th, 2019, 7:19 am
duskvstweak wrote: April 29th, 2019, 11:30 pm I took a break from Valkyria Chronicles last week and got back to Darkest Dungeon. It's been a year so I was rusty and that rust got a few characters killed, but I'm back in the swing of things.
I love the game, but I feel like I have to level 20 characters at once and that sucks the fun out of it for me. I also never really got into the synergies/advanced gameplay. I must go back to it at some point with a guide or at least a clue as to what I'm doing (I pretty much had the same party composition for all dungeons - Occultist - Houndmaster - Dismas- Hellion - for example).
The game does make it difficult to grind, as certain levels won't go on missions lower than them. So, even as far in the game as I am, I'm still sending parties of level 0-2 on beginner missions.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I had a bit of a go on it again this afternoon - started a new game - but it's too much to keep track of over all those characters for me - too many numbers. I always come away feeling a bit defeated by the game.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I started The MISSING (2018) last night... What a game. Mechanically, I really like it. Story-wise, I'm waiting for it to hit it's stride. But this game is... Just fucked up. If you want something macabre and kind of disgusting (and I strongly suspect it'll do into some narratively dark places too), definite hit this one up. It's on sale on Steam right now.

After this, I think I'm gonna start on Monster Boy, so I can remember what joy is.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

State of Decay 2 has been shelved for a bit (forever?) on my second playthrough; there's a bit too much waiting around for resources to regenerate (gas/petrol - it's basically suicide to go out at night on foot so you have to wait out the nights).

That's a bit of a knock on the (recent?) zombie games - Dying Light, State of Decay 2, and so I hear, Days Gone - they have a fun-sucking night cycle where you are forced to do nothing because the enemies are too aggressive or they have a strategic element that is rendered useless by not being able to see anything. :x

Out of the Park baseball continues to see looks.

I had a good go on BLACK BIRD's easy mode last night; very enjoyable though I wasn't expecting the Spelunky ghost to appear ;). In the 'getting my excuses in early' dept, I can barely make out the enemy bullets at all on the third level (colourblindness) so that might be it for me. It's possible I'm just confused by all that is going on and they'll become clearer when I've had a few goes at it. Enjoyed my time with it very much so far, but most likely only gonna play on Easy in any case.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Injured my hand so playing lots of games that don't require using my left thumb much.

Picross is as lovely as ever. It's a great go to relaxing title.

Ding dong XL is perfect as it only uses one button, costs 89p and is very addictive. You just send a ball back and forth avoiding the shapes that try to get in your way, with your score increasing the more you risk proximity to them. Worth a look.

Valkyria Chronicles works in part but gets tricky in 3rd person sections. I am halfway through the game now and half love it, half can't be bothered with it. Spend a long while getting into battles and doing well only for an event or piece of landscape altering to render your tactics fatally flawed. Sometimes feel like it's very predetermined what has to happen in order to win a battle. Charming art style and music though.

Also played some Virtua Racing. Tremendous port and I find trying to relentlessly perfect my times on a limited number of tracks far more rewarding than 50+ races. Bit hard to play currently though! But it's great to experience it again.

Lastly thought it a good time to clear my point n click backlog and tried out Grim Fandango. Really, really want to love it. Great premise, art style, music and characters. But CHRIST the gameplay and puzzles stink. Listened to the podcast about it last night and couldn't agree more with Leon. I'm midway through Year Two but have resorted to just using a walkthrough as I've no idea what to do. And for that reason, I think I may turn it off and chalk it down as not for me. Only the 3rd or 4th game I've done that with in 35 years...
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

seansthomas wrote: May 1st, 2019, 9:25 am Injured my hand so playing lots of games that don't require using my left thumb much.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I tried to play Grim Fandango last year. Its really a terrible adventure game if I'm being brutally honest. I love the setting, the music and the dialogue, but as a playable game, nah.

Fortunately, a lot of the classic Lucas adventures hold up remarkably well.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I got a refund on The MISSING because I legit started having like... I dunno what you'd call it. Intrusive thoughts?
One of the design elements of the game is that you're intentionally killing your character (a young woman), accompanied by some horrible screams and gore sounds. And after a while, it started making me feel ill and disturbed... Like, it was wearing away at my emotional state. Never had a game do that to me before. The brutality of it all struck a nerve, and I haven't been in a good mental state all year so... I couldn't continue with it.

I did, however, start on Monster Boy (2018) and like... Holy heck, what a great game! I was apprehensive, because the cutesy design of it all is *so* not my jam... But man, does the overall design transcend that. It's kinda-sorta (but not really) a Metroidvania, but there's so much diversity in your skillset. There's so many different methods of battle, traversal, etc. that you're constantly engaged with environment.

It has a few nit-picky things that can be a pain - the biggest of which is the button assignments, which have me pausing to remember what button does what, it's not as intuitive as a Zelda or even something like DmC - but overall, a very polished game. Highly recommended.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Quiet a lot on my plate at the moment, which I’m enjoy and get decent satisfaction from dipping in and out of.

Firstly, I’m nearly there on 100%’n Yoshi’s Crafted World.

I have three more areas left, of all flowers and hidden crafts found. I do still have to find.

Once I’ve done those, it’s onto the boss rush sections and working out how to beat them in the quicker that normal optimum manner. It seems that there is a way to interrupt their sequence and get another hit in to beat the timer challenge flower.

Box Boy & Box Girl - I’ve literally just started this and flew through the first few worlds as I’m familiar with the gameplay having spent a wonderful time with the 3DS version. My wife has threated to join in with me on the Co-Op adventure but I’m hesitant with this as I’ve heard there is a fundamental issue with the challenges making them a literal pushover.

Sky Fore Reloaded – Good fun, worked my way into the final section of the game, just chipping away at it now and is a welcome break at times.

Overdriven: Reloaded Special Edition – Picked this up as an extension of my recent peek at the schmup scene as Have recommended it and it was only 79p. It’s cool and I get it but I think I enjoy Sky Force better for now. That said, I’ve only cleared the first three stages so far.

Also a slew of Mega Drive games that I’ll leave in the Retro thread and still immensely enjoying my time with Wario Land 3.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Suits wrote: May 2nd, 2019, 9:57 amSky Fore Reloaded – Good fun, worked my way into the final section of the game, just chipping away at it now and is a welcome break at times.
Fuck it. I'm gonna pick this one up :D
Suits

Post by Suits »

hazeredmist wrote: May 2nd, 2019, 10:11 am
Suits wrote: May 2nd, 2019, 9:57 amSky Fore Reloaded – Good fun, worked my way into the final section of the game, just chipping away at it now and is a welcome break at times.
Fuck it. I'm gonna pick this one up :D
Sweeeeeeetttt !!!

I’ll finally have someone on my friends list I can compare scores with :lol: .