Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Simonsloth

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Simonsloth »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 12:06 am After a considerable amount of a break from the first game, I'm maybe half way through my first play-through of Steins;Gate 0 on the Vita.
I loved the first game and am probably halfway through this one but I’ve found it vastly inferior so far. I think it comes down to the seemingly absent interactivity (or am I missing something) and the story just isn’t as engaging.

I’ve put it to the side for the moment as it was a chore rather than something I was enjoying. I look forward to hearing what your thoughts on the second half are
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I can’t put the new Alto’s Odyssey game down. I know many scoff at mobile games, but this is something else (and not and IAP in sight). I’ve played the original Alto’s Adventure more than any other game on mobile (or tablet in my case). It’s the perfect, premium mobile game, and has been my go-to time-passer across thousands and thousands of miles on plane journeys over the last few years. Alto’s Odyssey swaps snowboards for sandboards, but is more of the same, and then some. The new desert backdrop is stunning, and the day/night cycles, variable weather - especially the storms - and multiple biomes to explore make for some outstanding eye-candy. And the one-touch, backflipping gameplay remains challenging, skilful and perfect. I can’t recommend dropping a fiver on this enough.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah can't wait for it to reach Android. The original was very good.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

macstat wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 4:15 pm Im just about to start that quest ;) Guess i can wait till next patch :P. Right now im about 11 on strength, 10 on dexterity, 13 on speech. Strength is very easy to level if you pick specific perk in herbalism called "leg day". ALso im fighting using dex based saber. I'll let you know when i get to it :).
As I said, its very buggy atm i won't deny that. But at the same time, i see a lot potential in it. Bugs or interface can be fixed, bad core or story not so much.
Oh, I only have about half the stats you have, apart from speech. I think my Strength is less than 5. Obviously not doing enough fighting! Let me know how you get on with that quest, hope I didn't spoil it on you.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Just got Ending A in Nier Automata. I can see why this game has multiple endings, final boss was cool but felt kinda rushed and there was a real sense of it being incomplete. But still enjoying it and am curious to see where it will end up.

Also got back into Super Mario Bros 3 and finally finished World 7-4. That is easily the most intense water level I had to play! Every press of the A button had to be super precise and I could never go too fast because a blooper could be just waiting to crash into me. Glad that obstacle is over and I can press on with the game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've found Rime, unfortunately, really outstays its welcome. I got really stuck on one puzzle involving...
Spoiler: show
leading a robot thing on to a pad to open a door, and had to look it up on YouTube. (Spoilered it just in case anyone didn't want to know anything before going in)
I thought I was right near the end, and to be honest was ready for it to wrap up, yet could see from the walkthrough video I have at least an hour left to play! It's a really nice game, very stress free but I do find it sticks with certain mechanics a little too long sometimes. I'm struggling to find the motivation to go and finish it now I know there is so much left. Sure I will do, but I think if it had ended where I am at now, it would have been the perfect length.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Simonsloth wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 8:13 pm
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 12:06 am After a considerable amount of a break from the first game, I'm maybe half way through my first play-through of Steins;Gate 0 on the Vita.
I loved the first game and am probably halfway through this one but I’ve found it vastly inferior so far. I think it comes down to the seemingly absent interactivity (or am I missing something) and the story just isn’t as engaging.

I’ve put it to the side for the moment as it was a chore rather than something I was enjoying. I look forward to hearing what your thoughts on the second half are
Hmmm... indeed, I am curious about where the rest of this game goes.

I think it was smart to move the focus away from Rintaro and onto everyone else around him. And I like that the sequel is not simply repeating the same story, but expanding and building upon the original.

Of course, like the first game, the interactivity is very subtle. Having played through the first Steins;Gate I was more aware of when those moments were occurring, but the first play-through is the one opportunity to play it instinctively, so I'm just making decisions based on what I feel would be the most organic.

But yeah, I'm curious to see how I feel once I get to the end... or at least one end.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

I had a few hours on Metal Gear Survive over the weekend, and it's ok.

Saying that I was pretty disappointed with the online aspect of the game, as was hoping you could do the whole thing in co-op, however it seems it's just a horde salvage mode that you can play with friends, and the campaign is purely a single player experience.

I can totally see why the game was released at a budget price, and I'm thankful I didn't pay over £25 for it, but even then it seems a bit much for what's basically re-used MGS5 assets.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Pitwar wrote: February 26th, 2018, 10:37 am even then it seems a bit much for what's basically re-used MGS5 assets.
I mean, the whole thing is just a scam to recuperate some of the FOX engine production costs anyway. Nothing more, nothing less.

Out of curiosity, I watched the... "final boss" plus ending cutscene on YouTube and holy shit what a joke! :P
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Im opposed to playing MG Survive just out of principle but I never thought the game would be a complete disaster, after all you have the basis of MGSV I mean how bad could it be? Aparently pretty bad, all footage I`ve seen of this game seems like a goddamn chore, I dislike most "survival mechanics" like hunger and thirst meters and MGsurvive seems to turn it up to 11 plus having a very slow progression and all of that of course wouldnt be complete without the added microtransactions, there only for "more choice" for the player of course ;) .
Overall I think VG Dunkey pretty much sums up what I think about Metal gear survive:

Also while this may venture into conspiracy theory territory(I mean you know Metal Gear fans) fans have been looking into one of the first cutscenes of the game and are now convinced that someone who on the worked on the game left a secret message there basically saying fuck Konami, I dont know how much of that is what we wanna see but there are some really compelling arguments to believe it's true, it really warms my heart if someone working on MG Survive had the guts to put this type of message in there:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Hihihi this is genius! :P

Totally buying this one just because it makes me so happy to think about. KJP FOREVER!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Been having a lot of fun playing Ultra Street Fighter II on Switch together with my kids. Buddy Battle and Versus, mainly.
Joshihatsumitsu

I hesitated to get this game on the Wii U (still plugged in... love that thing), but I finally got around to getting, and playing, Fast RMX on the Switch.

(I realise now that Fast Racing Neo is the Wii U title, but I'll keep that mistake in anyway) :D

Anyhow, it's a really solid and streamlined racer. It's very intense too, and better for short bursts than long sessions. It is a fast, twitchy game that requires a little nuance to master. Thank god for my shmupy gaming background!

I am curious though: I know there are some colour-blind people in this gaming community, and there are some colour coded aspects to the game... is it a hurdle? Are there other aspects of the game that make up for that?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: February 27th, 2018, 10:03 pm Anyhow, it's a really solid and streamlined racer. It's very intense too, and better for short bursts than long sessions. It is a fast, twitchy game that requires a little nuance to master. Thank god for my shmupy gaming background!
I don't know if you have any experience with the F-Zero franchise and GX in particular, but if you do, how would you say this compares to them?
Joshihatsumitsu

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 27th, 2018, 10:37 pm
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: February 27th, 2018, 10:03 pm Anyhow, it's a really solid and streamlined racer. It's very intense too, and better for short bursts than long sessions. It is a fast, twitchy game that requires a little nuance to master. Thank god for my shmupy gaming background!
I don't know if you have any experience with the F-Zero franchise and GX in particular, but if you do, how would you say this compares to them?
I haven't had the opportunity to play GX at all, so I can't make that comparison. I have played the first F-Zero and much like that you're learning the tracks not just to improve time/not crash, but also to take advantage of boosting, which in later stages becomes more important to even placing well.

It's definitely got a "spiritual successor" to F-Zero vibe to it, but it's also a very focussed game. And very fast. There's one track where it is constantly raining, so the combination of impaired vision and high speeds make it kinda stressful!

I would even say there's a touch of Burnout to it too, as you can spin out other racers by boosting and hitting them from behind, which gives the game another layer of strategy. Sometimes it's better to boost right by them, but sometimes taking them out works better.

It's a very polished game.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: February 28th, 2018, 12:10 am It's a very polished game.
Okay, sold! :P
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I must admit, I'm terribly disappointed that there are no playable arcade games in Yakuza Kiwami (and no, I'm not counting that stupid insect lady wrestling card battling game - it's rubbish and blatant teenage wank fodder).
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Got rid of Wolfenstein 2 and picked up Fifa 18 and Splatoon 2 on Switch.

Fifa is great on Switch, been sticking to seasons and have a 8-1-2 record so far. I only lost my first game as I went in without looking at the controls. I have had a bit of lag playing it but being able to play it in the bath out ways that!.

Splatoon I have had on for 30 minutes and initial impressions are good. Nobody plays with the gyro controls surely?. Gave me a headache!
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

Since I’ve gotten back to school I haven’t had major time to devote to larger games. I did begin Hellblade and AC Origins. Most of my time however has been with fighters. I’ve already spent over 100 hours in Injustice 2, but I also have dived back into Injustice 1 which I did not give a lot of time to back then. I’ve noticed to my surprise that I’m a little better at the first game than I was the 2nd. I also have spent time back with Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (debating if it try out Infinte). And I’ve gotten back into Dead or Alive 5 on Vita.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

DomsBeard wrote: February 28th, 2018, 10:52 amSplatoon I have had on for 30 minutes and initial impressions are good. Nobody plays with the gyro controls surely?. Gave me a headache!
I've tried it, they are surprisingly good but i don't think it's doable handheld - you can select differing preferences whether you are handheld or docked though. I use a pro controller, and had been trying to get used to motion controls but since unlocking the Splat Roller I've switched back.