Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Magical_Isopod

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I've been playing MediEvil on PS4 and... Man, am I ever loving this game! There's something I really love about 90s game design sensibilities, and putting modern graphics and controls and QOL considerations in here... It's just a really good time. I never played the original, I have 0 experience with this series before playing this remake, but I'm enjoying the whole structure, and all the secrets (remember those?) and the nonlinear levels (remember those?) and the bosses (remember those?) and all these other things that modern publishers arbitrarily decided games shouldn't have anymore.

I think there's a good reason why the Crash and Spyro remakes are so successful, and it's not just nostalgia. Heck, I know for a fact small kids are buying and playing those games - I've seen them buy them. Sonic Mania, same deal. Good game design is timeless, and it's definitely worth revisiting the past to escape the homogenized sludge of modern AAA game design.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

For anyone on the fence about the "Disco Elysium" PS4/5 port:

Sadly I think I've finally come up against a bug that's stopped me progressing in "Disco Elysium" (I already had a sidequest I had to give up due to a bug). I guess I'll just have to hope they patch it soon and hope I can carry on my current game instead of starting a new one.

I looked it up and other players seem to have the exact same issue, so I think, although it's a shame because the game is so much fun, I'll need to take a break from it and play something else for a while until it's fixed. But if you are thinking of buying the ps4 or ps5 version it might be worth waiting for the patches.

That said, if you do want to go ahead i had barely any problems at all until around the end of day three when you need to start doing more stuff in the fishing village. You can have lots of mostly bug free fun in town before then.

Description of the major bugs I had:
Spoiler: show

- Can't progress getting my gun back off The Pigs as the screen won't let me progress or leave the interaction. I guess I could load an earlier save and do other stuff but I think getting my gun back is important to the plot so I'd feel weird not completing that task. I tweeted a photo the moment here: https://twitter.com/MiririnMirimi/statu ... 99042?s=19

- Can't interact with the sandcastle to get the gauntlets. (This seems more like a sidequest than a main quest but I would like to be able to get the armour set)

- Not a problem yet, but there appears to be a problem interacting with the frozen car, which also isn't fully rendered. Other players are complaining about that so I guess it becomes important to the plot later but isn't working properly.
It is an extremely fun and very funny game and I'm sure that when it's patched it will be impeccable, and I've been having a great time, but if you do want to play it on a console, be prepared for some bugs. And quite big ones at that.

I really love that there are people out there making weird and esoteric games like this, and I love when games from countries outside of the USA and Japan do well (nb: I adore American and Japanese games, it's just always nice when successful games come from countries not particularly famous for games), so I do feel sad talking about the bugs and advising people to wait. If I had a gaming PC I would totally play it on a computer. It is so well-written and funny, no game has made me laugh like this since "Theme Hospital/Two Point Hospital". It's a cliche to say "such and such game is just like an ambitious novel!" ...but this one really is like an ambitious novel. It reminded me a lot of "The City and the City" by China Mieville, but with the weird Kafka-esque humour really dialled up. Which makes it sound like the most awful and pretentious thing ever, but it is so hilarious and weird and accessible. I love it a lot.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Magical_Isopod wrote: April 5th, 2021, 4:38 pm I've been playing MediEvil on PS4 and... Man, am I ever loving this game! There's something I really love about 90s game design sensibilities, and putting modern graphics and controls and QOL considerations in here... It's just a really good time. I never played the original, I have 0 experience with this series before playing this remake, but I'm enjoying the whole structure, and all the secrets (remember those?) and the nonlinear levels (remember those?) and the bosses (remember those?) and all these other things that modern publishers arbitrarily decided games shouldn't have anymore.
To be fair, I think bosses are still pretty common in games in various genres, and non linear levels to a lesser extent.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

So I was going to wait for the Switch port but Disco Elysium: The Final Cut was on my Steam for the equivalent of £9 and I caved. Glad I did, I'm already head over heels for it. And I'm quite happy I'm playing it on my laptop as (despite not being a stickler for fidelity by any means) the art in this game is beautiful. The colours and stylised painted characters are just wonderful and worth enjoying at a decent resolution.

Exploring Revachol is an absolute pleasure, it's compact and non-linear but dense with incident and NPCs to talk to, which is where the game shines. The writing is fantastic! I love these conversations, and th voiceovers they added to this edition are pretty much universally terrific.
Miririn wrote: April 5th, 2021, 8:49 pm ...makes it sound like the most awful and pretentious thing ever, but it is so hilarious and weird and accessible. I love it a lot.
Miri made a really important point here - it is really funny and accessible, it isn't trying to make you feel stupid or wave its knowledge of history or obscure writers or manifestos in your face. The devs themselves are clearly extremely well read and that comes through in the notions the game presents and in the gorgeous prose, but it's still punchy, entertaining writing throughout. It also isn't only for crpg mavens, it's very easy to pick up and play.

Not only is it hilarious but the feels are big too, the pathos of some of the situations you get into and the way some of the conversations hit can be actually heartbreaking.

It's funny how sometimes a game you wish those non-gaming folk in your life could appreciate for the richness of the experience it provides and the quality of the writing, is one they might think is really unapproachable and odd-looking. Anyway I'm absolutely evangelising and I've only got to about 8pm on day one but it's just so good you guys.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Jon Cheetham wrote: April 6th, 2021, 3:28 pm Miri made a really important point here - it is really funny and accessible, it isn't trying to make you feel stupid or wave its knowledge of history or obscure writers or manifestos in your face. The devs themselves are clearly extremely well read and that comes through in the notions the game presents and in the gorgeous prose, but it's still punchy, entertaining writing throughout. It also isn't only for crpg mavens, it's very easy to pick up and play.
I actually had the opposite feelings with your first point, I agree the devs are extremely well read, much more than me and I really felt it in the game as to be honest it made me feel a bit thick that I didn't know about all the political and social theories/concepts that kept being brought up and it didn't really explain what any of them meant. So unfortunately I was left a bit confused as to what the right choice would be in certain conversations as I didn't know the morality behind certain concepts being brought up. Lots of isms that I had no idea what they meant, but I can't decide whether that is more a fault of me than the game. Maybe it encourages players like myself to look things up outside the game but maybe certain things should be explained it the game for the those uneducated on certain topics like me.

I would agree with your second point that the game is very easy to pick up and play.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Me too! I don't have much of a brain (at all badum tish) for politics or philosophy - and I used to have a part time job in a university philosophy library!! (I clearly never read any of the books). I decided to approach it like when I first got into Russian novels despite not being well-versed in religious theory or Russian history: just go with the flow and not worry about understanding everything unless not understanding something is getting in the way of the plot, and if so, then look that up.

A lot of the people around Main Character (so far at least) are a lot more normal and don't constantly spout political or philosophical babble (Lt Kim, for example) so in a way not understanding everything puts you in their shoes having to deal with such a... different protagonist.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Yeah I am honestly not widely read (by which I mean, read much at all) in the schools of political thought they're drawing on or the history that would give me more insight into the cultural cues in this game.

Also I took the same approach, when there's stuff that flies over my head I just go with it. I doubt whether most people would play this and be across everything that's going on, but the world building and dialogue is enough fun to be worth the ride.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

After messing around with emulator settings for a couple of days I've started Drakengard 2. Kind of a pain to get working compared to the first game. That one was pretty easy with no hassle, but this one has been a headache. I've had to settle for it looking a little fuzzy, but it's acceptable.

First impressions, it's a vastly better game to actually play compared to the first. Although it's still pretty clunky, melee combat has way more feeling of impact, the dodge is way more responsive, and you can recover quickly from being knocked down, which is a big help. Different weapons within the same class actually have different combos now too. Dragon combat is improved as well. Much faster and snappier, and now you can hold a button that lets you hover and focus on ground targets much more easily.

The game has a much lighter tone though, so far at least. The setting comes across as much more standard fantasy, and it doesn't have the same sort of apocalyptic feel to it, so far anyway. There appears to be hints it might be going more in that direction however, as it's not long before it's revealed that the side you're fighting for aren't exactly the good guys. It does that by bringing back one character from the first game in an interesting way too, that I'm eager to learn more about. The soundtrack reflects this less dark and subversive feel too though. Not bad by any means, but gone is the weird, discordant chaos of the first game, replaced again with fairly standard epic fantasy music. I know that one song that is sort of the unofficial theme of the series does make a return here though, so again I can see a chance that the soundtrack might take a turn at some point too. Although I'm keeping my expectations in check, since going in I have heard this game walks back on a lot of the more grim aspects of the first.

And just as an aside, the dragon in this one is called Legna. If anyone else has had their minds poisoned by the internet as much as I have, maybe you'll understand why hearing characters shout that word brings to mind certain things.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Jon Cheetham wrote: April 7th, 2021, 5:01 pm Yeah I am honestly not widely read (by which I mean, read much at all) in the schools of political thought they're drawing on or the history that would give me more insight into the cultural cues in this game.

Also I took the same approach, when there's stuff that flies over my head I just go with it. I doubt whether most people would play this and be across everything that's going on, but the world building and dialogue is enough fun to be worth the ride.
And the loading screen tutorials even encourage you to pick the silliest possible answers, so often I'll pick dumb dialogue about balloons or being cool etc (whatever makes me laugh most), rather than something seruous or political. (But at a certain point the game - somewhat fondly - told me off for almost always going for the "hmm I don't know, I'll make up my mind later" option when asked to give a political or philosophical opinion, haha. They could tell I was hedging my bets!!)
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Miririn wrote: April 7th, 2021, 6:53 pm
Jon Cheetham wrote: April 7th, 2021, 5:01 pm Yeah I am honestly not widely read (by which I mean, read much at all) in the schools of political thought they're drawing on or the history that would give me more insight into the cultural cues in this game.

And the loading screen tutorials even encourage you to pick the silliest possible answers, so often I'll pick dumb dialogue about balloons or being cool etc (whatever makes me laugh most), rather than something seruous or political. (But at a certain point the game - somewhat fondly - told me off for almost always going for the "hmm I don't know, I'll make up my mind later" option when asked to give a political or philosophical opinion, haha. They could tell I was hedging my bets!!)
Oh yeah, "don't be afraid to say *weird* stuff" :lol:

Just have to get that balance of picking entertaining dialogue options, without Kim being too disappointed in me.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Lt Kim being disappointed in me makes my soul crumple into a paper ball of self-loathing.

Why I am so desperate for the approval of a fictional character is beyond me.

Argh I miss playing, I can't stop thinking about it. I really hope they patch it soon. I'm so ready for karaoke but my skill check chances are low so I'm just trying to improve those and then I'm gonna wow everyone with my soulful singing.

Edit - Also did you know that they're selling Kim's jacket? Currently sold out and too expensive for me to justify but I love it: https://atelier.zaumstudio.com/
Gadget8Bit

Post by Gadget8Bit »

Help!

I bought Monster Hunter: Rise on a whim and I’m utterly, completely, catastrophically in love with it.

My Xbox is crying. My PC is gathering dust. My girlfriend is threatening to take the cats and go to her mothers!

Good god this game is brilliant. I’ve never bothered to get into Monster Hunter before. It always appeared impenetrable to me, like a spreadsheet with swords. But this game is sitting on the right balance for me, it’s in depth but not overwhelming.

The difficulty seems to be nicely paced, the gameplay is fun and engaging. The graphics are GORGEOUS. SERIOUSLY. The RE Engine is officially witchcraft

I’ll have more coherent thoughts down the line but I absolutely love this game.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Gadget8Bit wrote: April 9th, 2021, 12:00 pm Help!

I bought Monster Hunter: Rise on a whim and I’m utterly, completely, catastrophically in love with it.
I am very tempted by this game, but I'm too afraid that what has happened to you will happen to me. I simply don't have time for that kind of behaviour at the moment, so I shall resist......for now......
Gadget8Bit

Post by Gadget8Bit »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: April 9th, 2021, 2:51 pm
Gadget8Bit wrote: April 9th, 2021, 12:00 pm Help!

I am very tempted by this game, but I'm too afraid that what has happened to you will happen to me. I simply don't have time for that kind of behaviour at the moment, so I shall resist......for now......
It’ll get you eventually. Remember, it has doggos you can ride called Palamutes. It’ll break you sooner rather than later
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Please get in the thread!

https://caneandrinse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2988

I've just finished it this afternoon, all the Village and Hub quests done and got myself some top tier gear. I haven't played any games with great interest in several months but this has hooked me like nothing since Missile Dancer. Extremely looking forward to the free DLC later this month, and whatever else they follow it with. It's my favourite MH game ever, the best possible blend of the traditional rewarding loop and refined accessibility.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

(moved to thread)
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Spent an hour or two on Outriders last night.

It's as if someone decided what Gears of War needed was a Diablo loot system and Warframe style space magic.

I've chosen the Devastator path and what I would have liked would been some measure of a tutorial - not so much to learn the skills but to get an idea of things like the range, area and so on. The third person viewpoint actually seems a little too close and I haven't found a way to get a lockon yet which is an issue for a class that needs to be up close to kills to get it's health regen working.
Haven't yet logged online yet so haven't had to deal with any of the connection issues that seem to be prevalent at the moment - I think that this is a game that needs friends to truly get going but my current schedule has me out of sync with my regular gaming friends so I may have to risk random matchmaking - and hope that the community is as friendly as Warframe, and not one of the more toxic communities ...
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I finished new Game Pass treat Narita Boy; the final boss nearly outstayed its welcome, but otherwise a stylish, fluid and thoughtful metroidvania of sorts. More so than Gato Roboto, which I saw is leaving Game Pass soon and I’ve always fancied, but after playing what seems to be a third of the story it’s all a bit by the numbers.

Still progressing through Outriders and still enjoying shooting and looting, then doing it again! And I’m still working my way through Dirt 5’s career mode, though it’s starting to drag a bit - only so long that nice lighting can hold your attention. Zombie Army 4 doesn’t even have nice lighting - shallow and tedious and deleted after a couple of chapters!

Tearing myself away from Game Pass, I’ve played enough Pac-Man 99 to work it out, though I’m not doing any better as a result! It’s good, though I wish they’d not chosen red for enemy Pac-Men because on the black background it makes if impossible for me to see game over coming when I’m playing handheld. If it keeps growing on me I might invest in the Xevious skin to fix that!

Finally, I’ve been writing about Kawasaki Superbikes on Mega Drive for an upcoming retroarcadia.blog post, so had a lot of fun catching up with that polygon racer hidden gem, which I am increasingly choosing to play over Dirt 5! And same for VIC-20 Andes Attack - still a crazy-addictive take on Defender by Jeff Minter that’s become a daily ritual!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I've started Gato Roboto too but I'm enjoying it so far, though I am still very early in.

I agree with what you say on Dirt 5, I got it with my Series X and even though it does look lovely, I just thought the career was quite dull. The event types just all seem to be the same except with different vehicle types and I was really disappointed that there wasn't any traditional rallying events at all in the game. People have said to me "just play Dirt Rally" but that's a sim, I want that balance between arcade and sim from the DIRT games.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I'm still playing and enjoying Sunset Overdrive. But! My Gamepass for PC subscription expired and I wasn't looking to renew it, but I wanted to finish Overdrive and it was only $5 on sale... oh, that's how Microsoft is doing this!