Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Suits »

ThirdMan wrote: November 12th, 2019, 7:59 pm
Suits wrote: November 12th, 2019, 7:24 pmThis for me is one of the games that actually looks better when played on a TV than on handheld.
Just on that point, what other games do you feel are better on TV?
Not too many really. Luigi’s Mansion(as I said), I also preferred Mario Maker 2, Super Mario Odyssey and Captain Toad come to think about it.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Odyssey feels quite cramped to me in handheld, and the slightly fiddly precise controls are much better on a Pro Controller than the handheld sticks and little buttons.

ARMS and Splatoon 2 are also way better on the telly and both look gorgeous. Astral Chain benefits from the big screen.

NSMBUDX, Tropical Freeze and MK8D look great in both.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Fire Emblem are both a bit better in handheld because they're a bit ropey and/or simplistic on the telly.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Doom 3 looked bloody incredible in handheld mode.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I really enjoyed Odyssey on handheld, it was the only way I played it, 60 odd hours! Did cramp my hands after lengthy sessions (FNAR etc.) but I tend to play in relatively short bursts of under an hour anyway.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

So after the behemoth that was Yakuza 0, I decided to try the demos for other entries to see what the rest of the series has to offer. First, Kiwami 2. It is really cool to see Sotenbori change from its depiction in 0 and the little bit of story I seen was definitely enough for me to want to check out more. Combat is still fun but I miss that I could not switch between fight styles (though that might be possible in the full game). Certainly want to try the full game in future.

Now I have less to say about Yakuza 6 as there was actually less gameplay to deal with and a whole lot of story. To such a degree that I was completely lost at what was going on! My fault from going from 0 to 2 to 6 but still, I was curious. I think when I know what has happened in previous games when I finally get around to this I think I will be much more excited to try it. But what gameplay there was still showed that there was a great adventure in store. But if there is one thing that both demos disappointed me with, it is that Kiryu does not have as good of a “NANI?!” as he did in 0. If I could sum up the Yakuza series in one word it would be Nani so I hope when I am doing more daft stuff I will be exposed to the word in its full glorious context. Seriously, that word is as iconic to me as the sound of ring grabbing in Sonic or Mario grabbing a mushroom.

Away from Yakuza, I thought it might be good to go for something a little smaller in scope and so I tried out Tetris Effect. I have literally not played any Tetris since the Game Boy game so to say this it has been a while is an understatement! But after hearing that Tetsuya Mizuguchi was producing this I had a feeling this was not going to just be Tetris with a slight lick of paint. The soundtrack and visuals complement the tile shifting action perfectly and can definitely induce a zen-like state while you play. However, I have also come to the painful realisation that I am really bad at Tetris. I mean I am struggling with the third level! So I am going to have to relearn all the tricks in order to get anywhere in the game. But, the presentation is still pushing me to want to see and hear more and thus get better. Never thought I would have bothered with Tetris after all these years but yeah, it still has that addictive quality to it.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Jobobonobo wrote: November 13th, 2019, 9:03 pm So after the behemoth that was Yakuza 0, I decided to try the demos for other entries to see what the rest of the series has to offer.
Happy to see someone new jump on board the series. The best place to go after 0 is probably Kiwami 1, and then playing through the series in chronological order. With the remasters of the PS3 games coming out, it's possible to play the whole series on PS4. That is, if you count the Kiwami remakes as substitutes for the PS2 originals.

Although that said, 0 is arguably the best in the series, and Kiwami 1 is probably on one of the lower rungs. It's still good, but it should be noted it's a bit of a step down compared to 0. Other games are better. It's based on the same engine and combat systems as 0 though, but you only play as Kiryu.

The demos for Kiwami 2 and 6 are very different, and K2 does a way better job of showing what the game is like. It takes place a short while in to the game and gives you a good look at the early game stuff, while the demo for 6 is just the start of the main game, ending before you get to do anything worthwhile. On top of that, a lot of the exposition they bury you under is irrelevant to the rest of the game. Both games are based on the same tech though, and don't have the style switching of 0. Personally I'd say 6 is the overall better game because of story, but Kiwami 2 has better gameplay because it was able to smooth out some of the faults in 6.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Scrustle wrote: November 13th, 2019, 9:53 pm
Happy to see someone new jump on board the series. The best place to go after 0 is probably Kiwami 1, and then playing through the series in chronological order. With the remasters of the PS3 games coming out, it's possible to play the whole series on PS4. That is, if you count the Kiwami remakes as substitutes for the PS2 originals.
Oh yes, I am definitely going to go through these in order. I will be playing the Kiwami remakes as my PS2 is back in Ireland and my place is crowded enough as it is so having the entire series on PS4 is a true godsend.
Scrustle wrote: November 13th, 2019, 9:53 pm Although that said, 0 is arguably the best in the series, and Kiwami 1 is probably on one of the lower rungs. It's still good, but it should be noted it's a bit of a step down compared to 0. Other games are better. It's based on the same engine and combat systems as 0 though, but you only play as Kiryu.
Yeah, I have heard series fans say that 0 really is up there with the best and I can believe it. It just does everything right and it knows when to be hard hitting and when to be silly. I'm hoping the other games achieve a similar balance. I am looking forward to going through the series but I will try not to have the sky high expectations 0 set me up with. I reckon it should still be a good time. Also same engine and combat system is a promising start to get me hyped for it!
Scrustle wrote: November 13th, 2019, 9:53 pm The demos for Kiwami 2 and 6 are very different, and K2 does a way better job of showing what the game is like. It takes place a short while in to the game and gives you a good look at the early game stuff, while the demo for 6 is just the start of the main game, ending before you get to do anything worthwhile. On top of that, a lot of the exposition they bury you under is irrelevant to the rest of the game. Both games are based on the same tech though, and don't have the style switching of 0. Personally I'd say 6 is the overall better game because of story, but Kiwami 2 has better gameplay because it was able to smooth out some of the faults in 6.
The Kiwami 2 demo definitely showcased more of the game and if the 6 demo was my first exposure I would have thought it was alright but again completely out of the loop storywise. Don't know if I would have had any interest in the series otherwise so I am glad that I started with 0! One thing I do appreciate is that you are in the same area throughout the series as watching it grow and develop over the years is quite a unique way for a game series to do worldbuilding. Will be interested to see how Kamurocho will differ between all 7 titles.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The text size is apparently being addressed in the next patch. Apparently one of the directors is colour blind and has said that the art style and colour choices are such that it doesn’t need a colour blind mode, be interested in knowing if that’s really true from people that are though.
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

Flabyo wrote: November 14th, 2019, 7:42 am The text size is apparently being addressed in the next patch. Apparently one of the directors is colour blind and has said that the art style and colour choices are such that it doesn’t need a colour blind mode, be interested in knowing if that’s really true from people that are though.
That's really interesting. One of the complaints I have about the game is it's use of colour, mainly in it's environments. There's a real clashing of palletes and it looks very over saturated, like you've turned the colour on your screen up too high.
I find it very unpleasant to look at and it really took me out of the experience.
I'd love to hear what the experience is like for someone who is colourblind and how it compares to games that just include a separate mode as an option.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It's very similar in palette to No Man's Sky, but where you could embrace that because it was an empty space for your imagination to sink into, it looks more like a TV set in Outer Worlds, to me. I'm sure they did what they wanted but yeah, I agree. A bit garish. Give me greyscale Skyrim any day, not that they're similar games.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

ThirdMan wrote: November 14th, 2019, 8:13 am Aren't there different degrees of colour blindness? Is a one size fits all scheme even possible?

I'm afraid I'm completely ignorant on the subject.
There are, I think there’s four different primary variants (and people can be on a continuum between them).

Have a watch of this for a bit of an overview of it, and the ways you can work around it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Let me tell you what I've been playing the hell out of. A little game called Call Of Duty MOBILE.

It's brilliant! Started playing with my eldest, and it's the full CoD multiplayer experience on phone. Controls great, it's an absolute blast!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

To be fair to KSub, I asked him to come on and offered him the protection of the owl mask.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

More off-topic drivel, sorry:
Spoiler: show
And yet, he's the one who is on your Steam friends list after I was unceremoniously booted :D

Clearly I need to be more of a bastard to earn people's trust and respect!

I also think that was entirely banter. Owly loves his lil' clippa, evidenced many times. Surely also it's nice to be in people's hearts when you aren't around enough for them to mention you too. There's something in that.

...not that I should be giving pep talks here. The bastard route would lead to us being best mates as we've established.

Disclaimer: banter
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Oh yeah, I don't care who sees my friends list or judges me on it. Looking popular or needing to fit in is not something that interests me at all. Real talk. For me it's just nice to have a nose into what people are playing - half the time I get game ideas that way - and compare scores, see how many hours people have put in, the odd game invite (though this is rare these days). Also it's telling that I know more about my Switch "friends" than my PS4 friends too, considering you can do almost fuck all other than see what they've been up to on there.

Regarding Steam, honestly I'd never have mentioned it again if I hadn't seen you on Ksub's list when I was checking his shiznit out one evening by coincidence. There are some feelings buried in me somewhere. Maybe. :lol:
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

:lol:

I got a 27 kill streak on Overwatch!!! With Bastion, no less. See? I did games wot I played
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: November 15th, 2019, 3:31 pm
He just wanted on there for intel, he needs to know the exact coordinates so he can drop stinking owl turds all over my scores with pinpoint accuracy.
Legit info.

And yeah, the mask was HIS idea, thankyouverymuch. :P
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I've got something for you to wear as well, clipz. <3
Oh, and...
Nothing else to see here.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've been away a bit recently but back this weekend and looking forward to a day off with some gaming.

I've been mostly playing the following on handheld:

Steins; Gate - My profile says 2 hours for this. I literally can't remember anything of it yet and I've restarted it about five times. Great idea in theory to play around visual novel in bed but it sends me to sleep every time. Quite handy, though, in that respect.

Psyvariar Delta - Handful of runs on this though it's tough in handheld because the sticks are so fiddly and imprecise for my fat hands. Ended up sacking off the grazing and just blasting everything. Died at the last boss. Still not 1CC'd this but probably only had about twenty proper runs on it. Most of my time was spent hammering the first stage like a degenerate.

Divinity Original Sin 2 - An undeniably great game and a brilliant first twenty hours or so, perfect next to the pool or on a packed stinking train. I managed to finally escape the enormous tutorial area and started the main game proper, and then lost all interest. See also: Loads of games, I always do this for some reason.

Luigi's Mansion 3 - A really good game in short bursts. Will I ever finish it? I dunno. Still have Captain Toad and Tropical Freeze which I've played in a similar piecemeal fashion and still not completed them. It's good old mid-tier Nintendo entertainment. Likely to be regarded as a lost classic in years to come but it isn't, really.

Dark Souls Remastered - I've spent a lot of time and money over the years trying to capture the feeling elsewhere that Dark Souls gives me every time I turn it on.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Quite a lot of things lately but the interesting things are;

Luigi’s Mansion 3. I’m currently stuck on a puzzle, the TV scene puzzle. So I’ve stepped aside for a moment.

Also worth noting me and Dez have meeting up most nights and having a go at the MP. It’s very samey and not to great but it’s charm and satisfying mechanics make it fun to meet up and catch some nasties with others.

So I’ve got back into Super Mario Maker 2 which I think is the best game I’ve played this year. It’s just so enjoyable. Skintight Jeebers, who I met I think on the TCGS Discord) makes some f the best levels I’ve played.

Also, Ring Fit Adventure. So I picked this up on launch but only really got the chance to set it up properly and have a serious go this morning.

Ha, well, it certainly gives you a workout 😄.

I’ve not anything active since I hurt my medial ligament in my left knee playing football in September.

Since then I’ve not done anything and my body has stiffened up rather a lot. I’m hoping this will limber me up a bit and maybe bring some added health benefits as well.

I plan/hope to do a level a day and see where that takes me.