Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Chopper »

I know, when that conversation was ongoing yesterday I was thinking, what about the retro guys, they play the same shit over and over again anyway. :D

I am joking, retro guys, don't @ me. :)

Yes, we all play games which appeal to us and which may not change much from iteration to iteration. I spend hundreds of hours every year playing sports games which have minute changes from the year before. So I guess it comes down to our personal gameplay preferences.

I've been playing a couple of ARPGs recently, and with them I was thinking that my enjoyment lasts as long as the fiction and gameplay masks the somewhat repetitive tasks that you actually carry out to progress. At some point, the fiction stops masking the underlying systems, and that's the point where I get fatigued with the game. Suddenly you become aware that here is the progression mechanic, and here is the mechanic that sets you back and makes you less powerful, and here is the gating mechanic that doesn't allow you to overlevel etc.

In the Ubigames, that process happens very quickly for me, almost right away. And I stopped playing Fallout 4 at about character level 5, and lasted 3 missions in GTA (though that was more to do with the cynicism of the game).

Anyway! I think it goes without being said that these are all personal opinions? We're not handing down dictates that game A is shit and game B is great. Instead it's, for me game A is shit etc, which is an important distinction to make. :)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

@Scrustle

Just in case you're interested in more about Game of the Year contender, Vampyr :D , gamecritics have done a podcast devoted to it. The podcast is a bit odd and probably not everyone's cup of tea, but if you were stuck for something to listen to on your commute etc.

@me

I am still playing Mooncrash, the DLC for Prey, which is an amazing piece of DLC, top ten all time easily.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Chopper wrote: August 17th, 2018, 7:39 am @Scrustle

Just in case you're interested in more about Game of the Year contender, Vampyr :D , gamecritics have done a podcast devoted to it. The podcast is a bit odd and probably not everyone's cup of tea, but if you were stuck for something to listen to on your commute etc..
Just read they're making a TV series of it, too.

http://go.newsfusion.com/gaming-news/item/1331097
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Apologies if this annoys anyone but I played Tekken 7 last night and thought it was dreadful. Felt like playing Street Fighter in quicksand. Not played one since 3 and thought I would give it a go as Negan was announced as DLC. Think my brain is too wired for Street Fighter and 2d fighters.

Ironically got Marvel vs Capcom infinite arriving today so hopefully have more fun with that!.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I'm not a fan of Tekken. I really enjoyed 2 and 3 on PS1, but I've never got really on board with later versions. Speaking of MvC, I've become determined to track down a reasonably priced copy of 3 on Vita. No joy yet!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've not been able to get into a Tekken since Tekken 2. I appreciate that I'm probably wrong but I can't bear the rhythm and feel of it. The characters feel like those punching kangaroo puppets, where the limbs snap back. My first thought of Tekken is constantly having my attacks interrupted and then being juggled and juggled into the wall and smashed into the ground and trying vainly to roll away or out of the corner and being limply kicked and my roll being staggered repeatedly.

My brother is brilliant at it, though. He came to visit me in China and played Tekken 5 or 6 in the arcade against an expanding queue of local players, which quickly became a crowd of folks keen to crush the lao wai. He stayed on the cabinet for almost an hour and he ended up having to just leave undefeated because we were both starving. Great day, and great retribution for my formative beatings on SF4 at the same arcade.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

My best memory of Tekken is years back when nightclubs would have PS1's set up in the chillout rooms with Tekken 2 and Wipeout on. I'd got Tekken 2 at home, and had learned every ten move combo for King. I'd get on and absolutely rinse the opposition, mainly made up of gurning wide eyed punters who could barely hold a pad let alone counter my (also rather sloppily put together) epic smackdowns, haha. God knows how I remembered the combos in that state :lol:
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Yeah, I kinda find hard to get into Tekken as well, but I just wonder if it's due to it being a 3D fighter? For all the complexities that some 2D fighters have (like Guilty Gear, or BlazBlue), it's pretty easy to navigate in a 2D space, even if everything else is impenetrable.

The last Tekken I actually bought was Tekken: Dark Resurrection on the PSP, and seeing that game run so smoothly on a handheld (pre-smart phone days, many centuries ago) was the big reason to have it, ever if it didn't necessarily "click" with me.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’ve gone back to For Honor now it’s a game with gold. Previously I played in the beta and it didn’t quite click, then I played through the single player campaign when it was on a free weekend last summer.

It definitely feels better balanced now compared to then, and with a big new dlc coming later this year it’s a good time to have a another look at i I’d say.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Just started Bayonetta on Switch and have a question. Was there always Bayonetta and someone else falling in the opening scene?. I played the 360 version at launch and dont remember there being someone else.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

DomsBeard wrote: August 18th, 2018, 2:17 pm Just started Bayonetta on Switch and have a question. Was there always Bayonetta and someone else falling in the opening scene?. I played the 360 version at launch and dont remember there being someone else.
Do you mean the playable sequence with Jeanne on the falling clocktower? If so, yes. Here's the intro of the Xbox 360 version:

(Skip to 2:10)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Not really stuck into anything lately with Dead Cells giving some extremely enjoyable roguelike action I’m not really finding it has that “one more run” vibe for me.

I’ve been dipping my toes in all sorts though which has been quite refreshing...

DJ hero
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga 3DS
WarioWare Gold
Far Cry 2
Torchlight 2
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.

Having way more fun than Tekken 7 even though Hulk has just destroyed my Ryu in story mode for the 7th time.

Dj Hero is a classic. I was just listening to the soundtrack at the gym last night.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

I started No Mans Sky again at the weekend, having played it briefly when it was launched on the PS4.

Having heard that the current state of the game is more inline with the original vision, I decided to pick up the Xbox version due to the One X enhancements.

I'm about 4 hours in to my playthrough and it's really clicking with me this time round. Maybe it's because my taste in games has changed recently, but the chill nature of roaming round planets, looking for stuff I need has been great.

I'm not sure how long something like this can keep my interest, but as it stands I can't wait to get back an explore.
Joshihatsumitsu

I'll keep it brief and super unscientific, but my preorder for the Japanese version of the Neo Geo Mini arrived (there's another world-wide release, still with 40 titles, but with 14 different games).

The pro's: that joystick is pretty damn good, and playing fighting games using those controls work surprising well. If you want an experience closer to the arcade, the Arcade Archives/ACA versions with a decent fightstick is still superior, but considering the form factor it works very well.

Sure, there's a ton of King of Fighters and Fatal Fury, but there's also other gems like Blazing Star and Sengoku 3, as well as Ninja Masters and Twinkle Star Sprites. The Japanese version has Shock Troopers 2, with the western/world release getting the first Shock Troopers, so they'll be a slight reason to get both.

The con's: no internal battery. Neither the NES or SNES mini had one either, but they also didn't include a built in screen, so you'll still need an external power source for portable play (the spare USB port on my Switch does a pretty good job, and the cable is pretty long).

This is a slight criticism, but you'll have to apply the decals yourself. It's kinda strange considering the amount of work that went into the design of it, but I'm garbage at applying decals/stickers - struggle to keep things straight and without air bubbles!

The interesting: the emulation at least comes from a primary source, and it seems more based on the AES than the MVS version. When you fire up an AES cart in a Neo Geo, usually after pressing start the next screen will be an options screen, where you select the difficulty level, etc. (depending on the individual games, of course). And needless to say, those options in the MVS would be located in the soft-dip menu, which wouldn't be available to the public in an arcade setting.

It's not an issue: I think the point of the Neo Geo Mini is basically a 40th anniversary celebratory release, and it's pretty damn good (and modern save-states are always welcome). And there's little to no difference between the AES and MVS versions anyway.

I only mention it because if you are looking to the Mini for an "authentic, deathly historically accurate, definite" version of these games, this won't be it. The old games didn't have save states, but the NES and SNES mini took similar liberties by adding modern bells and whistles.

Okay, so this wasn't brief ( :( ), and I haven't tested the HMDI output, and I don't have the controllers to test, so at least it's unscientific, kinda ( :oops: ).

Edit: I paid ¥19,990 (so you run that through your relevant exchange rate), and I just had a quick look at eBay prices... oh boy... those inflated prices didn't take long to kick in! The official price (in Japan), minus tax, is ¥11,500, so...yeah...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Amazing post though, more info as soon as you have it please!
Joshihatsumitsu

ratsoalbion wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 12:53 am Amazing post though, more info as soon as you have it please!
Ironically, I have a Uni assignment due this Friday related to the challenges of video game preservation... which means I can't do much gaming until it's finished! :ugeek:

Damn university... taking up precious "research" time!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Had another good session with Dino Crisis and it has just kicked in how difficult it is. I am making notes of passwords and staff names.

Sometimes the game tells you where to go the other times you simply have to remember where the room is that you need to take the items you finally have. It was easier in Resi as each corridor and part of the mansion looked different so easier to remember where as here it is all a uniform grey.

Also the raptors go room to room in certain areas (again forgot about this!). I always thought the Resi Remake was the first game to have that which shows how good a memory I have. I am near to my furthest point in now and yeah I am enjoying it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I was really interested in this until I saw the games lineup. I mean, ten King Of Fighters games, but then only Metal Slug 1, 2 & 3. It just doesn't make any sense. Shock Troopers 2 but not 1, baffling.

EDIT: Obviously talking about the Neo Geo mini!
Joshihatsumitsu

Alex79uk wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 8:13 am I was really interested in this until I saw the games lineup. I mean, ten King Of Fighters games, but then only Metal Slug 1, 2 & 3. It just doesn't make any sense. Shock Troopers 2 but not 1, baffling.

EDIT: Obviously talking about the Neo Geo mini!
I was struggling to find the info about the International version eariler, but this list states that there'll be Metal Slug 1 through to X, both Shock Troopers, and Last Resort.

Both versions have Top Players Golf, and neither have the far superior Neo Turf Masters? There's some interesting decisions being made in terms of game selection!