Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Chopper »

Flabyo wrote: March 4th, 2019, 5:03 pm Menu navigation seems fine, although I suspect it might start to get trickier once I have a larger number of fleets and planets to handle.
When I played it, one massive blob fleet seemed to be the way to go, so unless that has changed you should be ok. There should also be a function where you can make a bunch of planets into a self-administering group (so you can get them to a certain level of development and then hand them over to the paper pushers in accounting) so as to avoid micromanagement.

Sounds like you are having fun, glad to hear it.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

rob25X wrote: March 4th, 2019, 12:19 pm Gran Turismo 5 on the PS3 (for my third month now).

After smashing the truly excellent GT6 within a few weeks (40 hours or so), I decided to start the new year by revisiting and finishing off, GT5.

Oh boy! The 600+ hour completion time is no joke! Not only is GT5 one of the most time consuming games to finish on PS3 but one of the most challenging too. The gold medals for all license tests and the special event times are seriously unforgiving of mistakes. Some say the game is better played with a wheel but I'm determined to beat it with my good old dualshock 3 (best controller ever btw).

So sad the PS4 installment (GT Sport) had to be 'online only' and mess everything up. I like it when developers try new things and bring something new to the table but they should understand that online play is not everyone's thing, especially when we're talking Gran Turismo!
Yeah, also not a online only fan either!

I've been eyeing off, and hesitating, on GT6 for a long time (even though it's super cheap now).

As for GT5, I had an old save file with many, many hours and progress packed into it. Unfortunately, that was years ago, on a PS3 that died during an electrical storm... and I haven't had the heart to start from scratch!
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Yeah, also not a online only fan either!

I've been eyeing off, and hesitating, on GT6 for a long time (even though it's super cheap now).

As for GT5, I had an old save file with many, many hours and progress packed into it. Unfortunately, that was years ago, on a PS3 that died during an electrical storm... and I haven't had the heart to start from scratch!
[/quote]

GT6 is amazing, it really should have been a PS4 launch title. It would certainly have been the game to get among launch titles if it had been.

I had the same problem with my original GT5 save... 200 hours or so of progress lost when my console died.

Just so you know, the 24 hour endurance races got patched with a mid race save option so that's no longer something to worry about.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ThirdMan wrote: March 5th, 2019, 1:17 pm I'm now the proud owner of a Switch and Super Mario Odyssey. My first, and hopefully last, impulse purchase of 2019.
Suits wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 9:20 am Man, the whirlwind relationship you have with consoles/games is something else.
What the man said. ;)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ThirdMan wrote: March 5th, 2019, 1:49 pm Suits actually popped into my head last night!

Spoiler: show
Just messing with you, Nick. :lol:
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I been enjoying AC: Odyssey quite a lot recently.

I tried and failed to get into Origins. It does a lot of the same things in terms of combat and base clearing, but the tone, storytelling and lead character left me really cold. Kassandra is charismatic and instantly memorable in a way the series hasn't seen (at least for me) since Ezio. She's a joy to inhabit, plus the added dialogue system gives me a deeper connection with her than any of the previous AC protags. The writing in general, while not any where near Witcher 3 levels, strikes a much stronger balance between humour and drama. All that, plus Ancient Greece will always be one of my favourite settings.

So now that I'm enjoying the flavour, it's enabled me to properly appreciate the systems Origins introduced, and while all my favourite aspects have been borrowed from other games (Witcher 3, MGS5, Shadow of Mordor) they all come together really, really well.

Feels good to fall back in love with a series that has left me cold for a good long while.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: March 4th, 2019, 9:27 pm I've been eyeing off, and hesitating, on GT6 for a long time (even though it's super cheap now).
You're welcome to my copy if you want it? It's been sat on my shelf untouched for years since I last played it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Hahahahah, you two 😍😍😍.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I've started Super Mario RPG on my SNES Mini (I love my SNES Mini). I think, as a teen, I got to the part where Geno joins your team, maybe the fight with the bow and arrow boss. But, now that I'm past that, it's all new to me! Even though I knew Bowser was a playable character, that didn't diminish my excitement when he joined up... and how quickly I kicked Geno to the curb for Bower's spot!

Anyway, really enjoying this game. It's held up well, even graphically with those semi-3D effects still looking so nice. I think it has a few mechanical elements that should be used more in modern rpgs, like the timed hits. I like it!
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Alex79uk wrote: March 5th, 2019, 7:09 pm
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: March 4th, 2019, 9:27 pm I've been eyeing off, and hesitating, on GT6 for a long time (even though it's super cheap now).
You're welcome to my copy if you want it? It's been sat on my shelf untouched for years since I last played it.
I would take you up on that, if I didn't fear that it would sit on my shelf untouched as well! :lol: Thanks for the offer though.

Such a huge backlog... not that I'm complaining... :oops:
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

The Occupation isn't very good.

Loading times are long and it takes too long to explain what is going on.

I have had to shut the game down every time my controller has gone idle as it doesn't recognise you turning the controller back on.

It is 100% still set for mouse and keyboard too. If you want to pick up a letter or a piece of paper you have to hover over the exact pixel the game wants you to otherwise you won't pick it up.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Starlink: Battle for Atlas on Switch

One of the lads at work text me yesterday morning offering me this, boxed nearly new with all the toys intact, for a fiver. Crazy. I snapped his hand off, what is there to lose at that price?

After playing it for a couple of hours I think it's great! The gameplay loop seems a lot of fun, definitely reminiscent of No Man's Sky with the difference being I feel compelled to play it, and the space dogfighting feels like a good Starfox game! Graphically / performance wise it feels good, and you don't need the toys to play it so I get to leave the Arwing on my desk as a nice little model. It's taken me by surprise just how much I enjoyed it, I just kind of assumed it would be throwaway rubbish to prop a toys-to-life model up, but it's far more than that. I'm on the second planet now and excited to play more.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

DomsBeard wrote: March 6th, 2019, 10:09 am
It is 100% still set for mouse and keyboard too. If you want to pick up a letter or a piece of paper you have to hover over the exact pixel the game wants you to otherwise you won't pick it up.
Okay but real talk, can you guys call up Tony Blair or whatever and get this shit banned? It's great that we can put PC games on console now, but piss in a pot and call it ice cream, I hate playing Magic Pixel on a 4k television.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Left Alive is a very curious game.

I cannot recommend anyone buy it at the price it is now but I would recommend it at £15-£20 if you want a Metal Gear light fix. As I mentioned elsewhere it does remind me of Alpha Protocol, rough around the edges but I think some people would get some serious enjoyment out of it. I am playing on Normal and the AI is brutal once you are seen. Story etc is very MGS which is helped by the talents of Yoji Shinkawa who is one of the artists behind MGS and is working on Death Stranding.

The metacritic for this is funny as people are giving it 9's and 10's or 1's and 2's where the truth is in the middle.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

DomsBeard wrote: March 6th, 2019, 2:40 pm The metacritic for this is funny as people are giving it 9's and 10's or 1's and 2's where the truth is in the middle.
See also: almost every game ever.
;)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

DomsBeard wrote: March 6th, 2019, 2:40 pm I cannot recommend anyone buy it at the price it is now but I would recommend it at £15-£20 if you want a Metal Gear light fix.
Sounds fair. I've been curious about the game and I'll probably buy it once it reaches that price point. I would have preferred buying it at launch but some of these videos and impressions are rough.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Interestingly I have finished a chapter 1 of Left Alive and various choices I had made were wheeled out at the end and the consequences of such decisions. No telltale mind!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Following my recent travels to Austria and Germany, I had been looking forward to finally starting For Honor which was on PS+ last month, but the controls just didn’t click after playing through a few stages. I spent a similar amount of time on Hitman too, but that’s really a series that’s never interested me, and this confirmed it still doesn’t. This month’s PS+ offering has started a lot better though, and Modern Warfare Remastered is proving to be the ideal antidote to the “between games” state of mind I’ve been in for a while. Feels just as good as I remember.

And after cancelling my Switch preorder for Trials Rising but never getting around to the PS4 version instead, I’ve gone back to Trials Fusion, not realising how close I was to completing (albeit not very competitively) all the courses, which I’ve now done, and am quite happily trying to improve on some of the earlier ones now. The new one can wait a bit longer!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Guys, I can't choose:
- Ys VIII: Lacrimose of Danish (PS4)
- Tales of Vesperia (360)

Tell me which one to play. I'm in the mood for a modern JRPG.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Magical_Isopod wrote: March 8th, 2019, 8:16 am Guys, I can't choose:
- Ys VIII: Lacrimose of Danish (PS4)
- Tales of Vesperia (360)

Tell me which one to play. I'm in the mood for a modern JRPG.
Ys is the wild card, Tales is the known quantity. I'm sure both are great. Flip a coin.

Alternatively, go play Baten Kaitos. ;)