Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Chopper »

Sorry to hear that, Alex. Hopefully beating up on the Third Lamb or the Tree of Men will give you some respite :). Excellent game, as you say.

No gaming for me, unless answering the door to trick'n'treaters counts. Numbers down from previous years, thankfully.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Alex79uk wrote: November 1st, 2018, 12:20 am Currently having the genuinely worst week of my life, so hiding in video games.
Be strong mate, talk to your mates / family and don't be alone with whatever it is, hope things get better for you :)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Alex79uk wrote: November 1st, 2018, 12:20 am Currently having the genuinely worst week of my life, so hiding in video games.
I too had the worst time of my life this year so i hid in sea of thieves. I hope it turns out ok for you in the end. I luckily pushed through the other side and now im doing alright.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Gonna shelve Evil Within 2 for now. Playing a manmoth like RDR2 alongside any other game has rendered me not truly getting the most out of either.

Theyre both very good but i just need to take them one at a time.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

dezm0nd wrote: November 1st, 2018, 5:51 pm
I too had the worst time of my life this year so i hid in sea of thieves. I hope it turns out ok for you in the end. I luckily pushed through the other side and now im doing alright.
Very good to hear this, you never want to probe but I'm happy that things are on the up fella.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Another season of Out of the Park Baseball is in the books; and another World Series has come to Albuquerque (2 total, in consecutive years).

Unfortunately my core group are all aging ungracefully and I’m going to have to blow it up and release some fan favourites. That means the fans won’t be happy, less tickets sold, pressure on payroll. Trying to win a third WS and create a dynasty amidst all that will be a good challenge.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I usually hate not finishing what I've started, but I really don't see myself playing Rise of the Tomb Raider to completion any time soon. I don't know why I have so little patience towards "those" games lately, but not a single element of it is motivating me to press on. It can go cozy up to Alien Isolation on the "maaaaaybe I'll go back to it some day but let's be real probably not"-pile of lame. I'll just conveniently blame Horizon for my current burnout on any "young archeress with lustrous hair and parental troubles climbs everywhere by herself, butts heads with random cultists and collects all sorts of shiny stuff in order to make some numbers go up"-type of affair.

Other than that, I've just played about 5 hours of the Tetris Effect demo. What you see is mostly what you get with this one - it's basically Tetris plus one new mechanic and the audiovisual presentation of Rez. I'd recommend anyone interested to give it a shot, especially if you have a VR headset collecting dust, although keep in mind that the demo will only be available for a limited time period. I'm certainly sold on it.

Next up... Valkyria Chronicles, maybe? I feel vaguely guilty about postponing it for so long.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Been continuing Project X Zone on the 3DS, starting on a family trip, last weekend.

Following the completion of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth for the show, I also aptly started playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Having seen some videos of it I never thought it looked particularly frightening, but after having played a bit... holy crap is it frightening! It's impressive how much Frictional Games achieves with so very little. Sound design and visual effects carry this one. Though I must say, the invisible water monster doesn't quite do it for me. It makes for tension, sure, but the splish sploshing is also a bit comical. Ah well, scares are a subjective thing as well.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ThirdMan wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 9:09 am I see that the first Luigi's Mansion has been ported to the 3DS. I'm a complete obsessive knobhead for having to play the first game in a series before I play the second, so this is perfect for me. They look like great fun.
Cool, well, personally, I enjoyed the first one more as a singular experience but the second one is a better computer game - if that makes sense.

Very different games, mechanics aside.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Michiel K wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 9:36 am Been continuing Project X Zone on the 3DS, starting on a family trip, last weekend.
Man, what is this !!

It looks nuts, worth picking up ??
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

After binning Hollow Knight for the second time, I’ve played another three or so hours. As much as I hate this game a lot of the time, I love it more of the time, and couldn’t stop thinking about it over the couple of weeks I’ve been away, so here we are again. After studying different charm combinations in forums, then finding one of the few I didn’t have that turned out to be key, I finally beat one of two problem bosses, one of which opened up all kinds of new areas I couldn’t access before, so whilst I’m still unlikely to ever finish this, I’ve got plenty more to do before it’s done. Again.

I think I’m most of the way through the main campaign in Destiny 2. I’ll finish it, but for some reason I don’t find the overall game as engaging as the original - I’m a bit bored! And still plugging away at Castlevania Rondo of Blood on PS4. I know I’m not focussed on it enough yet to be any good, but I’m really enjoying getting slowly better in short bursts for now. Wish it was on the Switch though!

Also got more than my money’s worth out of Darkest Dungeon, Punch Club and Reigns over the course of a couple of evenings; all bought for next to nothing on iPad a long time ago but left untouched. All fine but none of them really grabbed me. Glad I tried them though.

Finally, I tried out the Tetris Effect demo. It’s a good version of Tetris (but still isn’t quite Game Boy standard), it looks stunning on a normal TV and I can only imagine how good it is in VR, but after 15 minutes of my first game I got bad motion sickness and had to stop. And I can only imagine how bad that is in VR!!!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Suits wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 9:45 am
Michiel K wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 9:36 am Been continuing Project X Zone on the 3DS, starting on a family trip, last weekend.
Man, what is this !!

It looks nuts, worth picking up ??
What?! You don't know about Project X Zone?!

It's basically fan service heaven for fans of history-laden Japanese software dev and pub house giants like SEGA, Namco and Capcom. The moment-to-moment can be quite a slog if you play it for longer stretches and it takes ages to get to a point where it demands significant tactical insight /decision making and mastering of the "juggle the sandbag enemy" real-time combat (activated when engaging an enemy in your turn), but it really delivers if you're a fan of the massive character cast. It's got chatty friends and foes from Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, Ghosts 'n Goblins, Mega Man, Resident Evil, Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers, Shining Force, Sakura Wars, Valkyria Chronicles, Dynamite Deka, Tekken, Tales of Vesperia, Xenosaga, etc. and lovingly created sprite depictions of them.

For me, it was definitely worth the buy.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ha, no, I had no idea.

Sounds pretty detailed then.

Doesn’t sound like my cup of tea either - so I’ll definitely keep an eye for it, as I’m all for giving things a try.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

stvnorman wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 10:15 am After binning Hollow Knight for the second time, I’ve played another three or so hours.

Etc.
How far are you in? I've just reached The Resting Grounds and...
Spoiler: show
Got the dream nail.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

This week, I have been mostly playing:

Undertale - Continuing my slow progress with this one. I love the music, quite like the humour and tone, art style has plenty of personality and the game mechanics are unusual enough and kind fun. It's a bit of a slog, though, at the same. I'm waiting for it to click while persisting admirably.

Quad Fighter K - A pretty weird Switch shmup with C64 era graphics. You can have a four-player local co-op but you can also play with three COM ships helping out and you can link onto them make a 'quad fighter' with masses of firepower, or dissemble and spread across the screen independently. It's kind of fun but I'll be uninstalling once I've completed it, most likely.

Blade Strangers - This strange slightly low-budget Arc System Works rip-off Nicalis crossover 2D fighting game has grown on me considerably and ousted DBFZ over the last week or two. It's simplified but a lot of fun to play and the designs are, largely, a lot more varied than Dragonball. Shame that online is totally dead.

Dark Souls Remastered (Switch) - While the compressed sound was a minor bother for about five minutes, this is Dark Souls as I know and love it only much more solid than the PS3 version. It's exactly what I wanted, all I needed and - frankly - all I ever could have dreamed of when I first got the Switch. What a wonderful time to be alive, and I mean it.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Alex79uk wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 3:05 pm
stvnorman wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 10:15 am After binning Hollow Knight for the second time, I’ve played another three or so hours.

Etc.
How far are you in? I've just reached The Resting Grounds and...
Spoiler: show
Got the dream nail.
I’m a way ahead of you so I’m not going to even hide a spoiler! There are some bosses that are critical to finishing the game and some not. I’m not entirely sure which are which except I’ve learned in the game that the one I’m still stuck on is the first of a series of three that I need to beat to finish it. You will come across this fairly soon, but even though you can access it will probably want to do a lot more “things” before you can beat it!

Frustratingly, I did the hard part of the one I’m stuck on at lunchtime and was probably one hit away from beating it, then got a bit too excited and made a very silly error. I’ve tried again at least ten times since and got close a couple more times so I’m getting there.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah yes I've come across those three. Well, not fought them but had the cut scene. I wandered off the 'right track', watched that and thought nope, I'm heading back the other way haha.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I got Diablo 3 on the Switch after lots of hearty recommendations. It is damn good fun, or very addictive, or both. I think I'm enjoying it, anyway. It's very reminiscent of Hyrule Warriors in that it's insanely repetitive but you get into a good flow state and you're making lots of decisions on the fly and managing your cooldowns and stuff and the gear just keeps coming. I'm aware I've barely scratched the surface with only a few hours so far but I get the loop already and it's pretty satisfying. There's part of me that's saying 'sophisticated clicker' but it's only becoming more engaging as I go on. Very sophisticated clicker, perhaps.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

The Quiet Man.

This is a bad game but is teetering between so bad it is good and just bad.

It is better than The Bunker I can safely say that.

You basically watch a cut scene where you cannot understand what anyone is saying to you as you are deaf (I think they are trying to get you to lip read) then take place in some simplistic combat reminiscent of Shenmue followed by a bit of walking around then repeat.

I am presuming you are meant to be piecing the story and characters together yourself and hopefully the cut scenes will be watchable with audio once you have completed it to see the story properly?.

Anyone curious I would say for £10.79 pick it up, its only a couple of hours long by the look of it
Craig

Post by Craig »

Never played a Dragon Quest game other than a bit of a dabble with the very first, so I decided to pick up Dragon Quest IX as it was cheap and convenient to play. Loving the bright characters and monsters. Graphical style is a bit of an odd mishmash between polygons and sprites, but it’s a pleasant little game so far.