Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Stanshall »

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate. I put about fifty hours in on the 3DS without really knowing what I was doing. Then I put a bit less time into World and enjoyed the multiplayer a hell of a lot, while finding things a bit less satisfying overall. I've now got back into the 3DS vibe with Ultimate, only with my understanding of the multiplayer and how satisfying that is. Damn. This is going to take a pounding. There is so much bloody game here.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

I bought the new God of War at launch, but wasn't really feeling it so didn't put much time into it.

I went back to it this weekend and put some more time in, but I'm still not digging it.

I'm not sure if my taste in games has changed, but I loved the previous games in the series but just don't enjoy this new one. It's a shame, but I think I'm done with it now.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I put a couple more hours into it after the discussion in the Videogame Criticism thread and I felt the same, unfortunately. I wish I could get more out of it but there's so little there that floats my boat these days. I was struck by quite how much walking and talking there is, even more than I remembered, as well as turning cogs or pushing wheels during an exposition dump. It doesn't help that the dialogue is an awful halfway house between gaming goofy and one-note 'worthy'. It has no sense of fun at all. I never played the older games but it seems I'd have preferred that glorious excess to this dirge.

It's the 'Oscar fodder' of video games.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: August 28th, 2018, 10:47 am And I agree, Marvel vs Capcom 2 plus CRT = silky smooth animation - it's a really beautiful game. That Dreamcast version is pretty damn good! I was testing out MvC 2 on the CRT I got, and yeah, it's a very noticeable difference.
I still wouldn't know about beautiful, but the sprites and backgrounds blend together much nicer than in the HD re-release. Another tiny issue I have is that the sprites are upscaled. Even the new ones appear drawn for the lower CPS 2 (240p?) resolution (so they appear at least consistent), so they look fuzzier than they do in the first Marvel vs. Capcom and X-Men vs. Street Fighter and the likes. Also, the returning characters lack some of their previous animation flourishes. Something had to give with that enormous character cast, I guess.

But it has a very distinctive look and feel, coupled with the irresistable OST and SFX, I'll give it that!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Pitwar wrote: August 28th, 2018, 11:19 am I'm not sure if my taste in games has changed, but I loved the previous games in the series but just don't enjoy this new one. It's a shame, but I think I'm done with it now.
It's not really anything like the old games, though. Barring a few references to earlier story it could easily have been a brand new IP, I feel. The combat does become deeper the more you play, but honestly I'd say if you're not feeling it after 4-5 hours you'd probably be better off trading it in whilst it's still got value.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: August 28th, 2018, 12:25 pm
Pitwar wrote: August 28th, 2018, 11:19 am I'm not sure if my taste in games has changed, but I loved the previous games in the series but just don't enjoy this new one. It's a shame, but I think I'm done with it now.
It's not really anything like the old games, though. Barring a few references to earlier story it could easily have been a brand new IP, I feel. The combat does become deeper the more you play, but honestly I'd say if you're not feeling it after 4-5 hours you'd probably be better off trading it in whilst it's still got value.
I had the same issue (however never played a GOW before this one). Might go back one day but it got to the stage where I would turn it on and go ''nah'' never a good sign!.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

I played some Halo last night due to the Master Chief Collection 4K patch being applied.

I'm still terrible at Halo, but it does look pretty with the HDR lighting and silky smooth framerate.

I think I'll crack on with ODST tonight having never finished it. I just need 343 to add Reach to the package then I'll be up to date on my Halo playthroughs.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Pitwar wrote: August 29th, 2018, 10:02 amI think I'll crack on with ODST tonight having never finished it.
Ahhhhh, my favorite of all the Halo games.

Try to make sure you hunt out and find as many audio logs as you can, they really add to the games atmosphere and paint a wonderful picture of New Mombassa and the nightmare than unfolds.

How's the multiplayer stuff shaking out ??
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

Suits wrote: August 29th, 2018, 10:31 amHow's the multiplayer stuff shaking out ??
I only had a couple of games but it all ran smoothly and I had no issue getting the games, so it looks to be working as it should.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Played a little bit of Prince of Persia (08) between other things I've been waiting for, as it was recently added to backward compatibility on XB1. I really liked this game when it first released, so I have something of a soft spot for it, but I don't think time has been kind to it at all. I've taken a quick look at it a few times over the years, and each time I come back with a pretty similar impression. Yet again, I'm getting the same feeling from it.

The problem with this game is when it was released. In between Assassin's Creed 1 and 2. It carries over a lot of the DNA of those earlier AC games, but used in a different framework. It's an early example of the "auto-platforming" thing the AC games use. Obviously earlier PoP games did that too, but here it feels like it carries over an influence of AC by using similar animation systems and a lack of any puzzle aspects to the platforming. Yet it also lacks the open non-linear style of AC. The game is structured as a web of linear paths. It makes the platforming feel so automatic and uninvolving. It's almost impossible to fail, and you have no choice in how you approach a problem. The way you get saved from any fall isn't a problem, but rather you'll almost never fall in the first place. When you do it's usually because of the slow, clunky controls not responding to your inputs, or the pre-scripted jump distance not lining up with what you expect it to be. But in terms of applying any level of skill to navigation, there basically isn't any. Back when the game released maybe it was easier to get away with these things. Since that style of platforming wasn't everywhere yet, it still felt somewhat novel. But now it's a pretty standard and kind of tired feature, and has been done in way more interesting ways, with far better controls too.

But it's still pretty at least. Still got a very unique look to it that nothing else out there has replicated. While combat is also incredibly simple, and with slightly clunky controls, you do have a bit more room to experiment and see how long a combo you can string together. It can have a certain flow to it. The unreliable parry can put a damper on that though.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I've been playing Phantom Doctrine on the PS4. It's a turn-based, tactical stealth game in the vein of XCOM, but with the emphasis firmly on stealth as opposed to combat.

It is very dense with systems, and it's taken me a long time to get to grips with it, as very little is explained. Or, I should say, it's taken me quite a while to get to grips with playing efficiently - jumping in with a minimal understanding of its systems is totally feasible too.

The game is set during the Cold War in 1983 and you can play what look like separate campaigns (maybe they dovetail together later on) as the CIA or KGB, with Mossad unlocked at the end of the game. The game interface is divided into the strategic layer (world map with flashpoints), base activities (base expansion, investigating intel, forgery department, infirmary, team management), and a tactical layer (office buildings, hospitals, train stations) where the missions play out.

It's pretty damn deep, enough to make me restart after possibly 7-8 hours, with a better understanding of how to play. I got back to that point in about half the time.

The Cold War setting is decent - Pakistan is on the brink of developing nuclear weapons, your first base is in Beirut, you have to create new identities for your agents when they become too exposed etc. There is an investigation minigame which utilises impressive amounts of gibberish via randomly generated code names which is quite a bit of fun.

I hear it gets repetitive later on (and even in the early game a lot of the missions are of the same type, until you unlock base upgrades) but it's good for now. There's a constant struggle between spending money on upgrades for your team or for the base, which keeps it challenging, while missions are meant to be geared towards stealth but often devolve into firefights and a hurried exfiltration. Pretty decent.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: August 30th, 2018, 2:57 pm I've been playing Phantom Doctrine on the PS4. [...]
You make it sound very interesting! :o
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

It is both better and worse than I make it out to be above :)

The first fifteen minutes of this video probably will tell you whether it is for you or not.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Had a friend sleeping over and we played...

Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Mario Kart 8, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, Street Fighter V, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Senko no Ronde 2, Lethal League and the latest build of the game me and another friend are developing.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Michiel K wrote: August 30th, 2018, 8:01 pm .......... and the latest build of the game me and another friend are developing
Go oooooooooooonnnnn............
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

It's basically an asset flip of our own assets for a game we were making that proved a bit too ambitious at this stage. Will share more later! I've found the hook to it all and we're making good progress!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Michiel K wrote: August 30th, 2018, 8:19 pm It's basically an asset flip of our own assets for a game we were making that proved a bit too ambitious at this stage. Will share more later! I've found the hook to it all and we're making good progress!
Ah, wicked man, sounds rad.

Look forward to it.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Chopper wrote: August 30th, 2018, 6:23 pm It is both better and worse than I make it out to be above :)
Cheers for the impressions on Phantom Doctrine. I’ve been thinking about getting it, and I may well at some point this weekend now.

On Warhammer Inquisitor.... yeah, I can’t really recommend it for now. It’s too buggy and repepetitve at the moment. It’s a game with a long (planned) tail of content though so like Path of Exile there’s room for it to evolve into something far better. But right now they’re asking too much cash for not enough game I think.
Suits

Post by Suits »

A few of us have picked up Strange Brigade on the Xbox One, with the idea of having some Co-Op fun.

I started it last night and did the first story mission and quickly jumped into matchmaking.

So far, so good.

I'm a big fan of the L4D, CoD:Z, Firefight game types, so this very much plays to that. I was also a fan of the Sniper Elite games and the Zombie Army Trillogy so it hits a lot of my taste buds.

It's not going to win any awards but'll certainly give some multiplayer fun while the Lego talk flows.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Flabyo wrote: August 31st, 2018, 11:51 am
Cheers for the impressions on Phantom Doctrine. I’ve been thinking about getting it, and I may well at some point this weekend now.
The Eighties setting is used a lot less than I’d like, and the game is a bit opaque at the start, but I think it’s solid. The infiltration vs shooty stuff becomes more balanced as you progress too (there’s more shooting) which helps keep it fresh. The big drawback may be the length of the campaign which I’ve seen mentioned at 40 hours, given the potential repetitiveness.

There, I think I’ve covered myself now. Buy it! 😀