Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
arry_g

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by arry_g »

Dark Souls 2 at the moment for me. I know many Souls fans don't like it but I actually love it. It's my second favourite Souls game so far with Demon's before it and the original Dark Souls very close behind.
wolfrider

Post by wolfrider »

Started The Evil Within, and I'm three chapters in, and it's just not clicking with me yet. Will give it another couple of chapters though
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

wolfrider wrote:Started The Evil Within, and I'm three chapters in, and it's just not clicking with me yet. Will give it another couple of chapters though
I've had the same issue, I'm in a room where there is far too many enemies and I have zero ammo.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I stalled around chapter 8 and haven't been back yet. I will at some point but having too much fun with Batman Arkham Origins.

I started Final Fantasy VI (PS1 on Vita) recently. Never played past a couple of hours before, and it's a great game, but I'm not sure if I've accidentally activated some kind of easy mode because the challenge is laughable! Every fight is done in one or two hits, even boss type characters take around 5 and don't pose any threat whatsoever. Is it meant to be this easy!?
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Alex79uk wrote:I stalled around chapter 8 and haven't been back yet. I will at some point but having too much fun with Batman Arkham Origins.

I started Final Fantasy VI (PS1 on Vita) recently. Never played past a couple of hours before, and it's a great game, but I'm not sure if I've accidentally activated some kind of easy mode because the challenge is laughable! Every fight is done in one or two hits, even boss type characters take around 5 and don't pose any threat whatsoever. Is it meant to be this easy!?
It will heat up, I remember a few hours grinding exp late in the game.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Yeah, 6 does have a bit of a grind in the middle, but it's just before one of the greatest set piece moments in the series' entire history.
RobC

Post by RobC »

While waiting for PS plus to trickle into Europe yesterday I went back to the Walking Dead season 1, I took a break after Episode 3 so picked it up again at 4. I almost rage quit it was so shanky, I came across one game breaking bug, only to reload, redo my progress and find a whole cut scene failed to play. Once I got past that hurdle I kept getting stuck again with seemingly nothing to do. A quick google and I find out I have to do things in a specific order just to get round the bugs that are still there!

I still have every intention of going back because I am really enjoying the story, but man is it making it hard.
Giles

Post by Giles »

At a few people's suggestion on Twitter yesterday, I've started playing Telltale's The Walking Dead. Really enjoying its episodic nature, and the ambiguous decisions it's having me make. For a three year-old game, I'm lucky (ignorant?) enough to be going into this entirely spoiler-free, and I'm going to try and play at least an episode a week (Karl recommended one per day or so!), a luxury not afforded to anyone who played it as-released.

One question, do I generally have time to have a good look round the locations when it goes free-roam? I'd like to be able to investigate every minutiae, but I'm concerned I'm going to be penalised for not being 'on point', so to speak. Don't want someone to die just because I stopped to read an old newspaper when I should've been getting them an energy bar within a certain time-limit, or something.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

You're free to explore without penalty as long as the screen isn't turning red, and that's only during obvious action sequences.
Giles

Post by Giles »

ratsoalbion wrote:You're free to explore without penalty as long as the screen isn't turning red, and that's only during obvious action sequences.
Good to know! Thanks, Leon.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

You can't really fail in the game anyway.
richie_in_japan

Post by richie_in_japan »

Flabyo wrote:Strider is great up to the point where they stopped having a difficulty curve and went with a cliff.
Finished last night and, one tough spot aside (two freeze-ray spider robots on the lift), can't say I hit that cliff. I'm a card-carrying button masher and far from skilled, although I only played on Normal.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Helldivers is good fun.
tough, but fair, and great fun.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

arry_g wrote:Dark Souls 2 at the moment for me. I know many Souls fans don't like it but I actually love it. It's my second favourite Souls game so far with Demon's before it and the original Dark Souls very close behind.

I don't know if people don't like it, I absolutely loved it, I just didn't think it beat the first Dark Souls game. I preferred it to Demon's Souls though, just because I wasn't a huge fan of the level structure in Demon's. It's still in my top 20 of all time though.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Alex79uk wrote:
arry_g wrote:Dark Souls 2 at the moment for me. I know many Souls fans don't like it but I actually love it. It's my second favourite Souls game so far with Demon's before it and the original Dark Souls very close behind.

I don't know if people don't like it, I absolutely loved it, I just didn't think it beat the first Dark Souls game. I preferred it to Demon's Souls though, just because I wasn't a huge fan of the level structure in Demon's. It's still in my top 20 of all time though.
I have heard a lot of negativity around the game, a lot of comments from people about how and why the geography, environments, PVP design issues and boss fights make it a bad game, it might be a case of the vocal minority though.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Bunch of stuff on the go at the moment.

On the iPad I'm playing Square Enix's new strategy game 'Heavenstrike Rivals'. I'm enjoying it so far, the free to play mechanics haven't yet reached a point where I feel I have to spend any money. It's very pretty, has an art and music style very reminiscent of Final Fantasy Tactics, and while it's not a full on strategy RPG it does appear to have quite a bit of depth to it. Promising, and way WAY better than anything else Square have done on mobile recently.

On the XBO I'm playing Dead or Alive 5 Last Round and getting very frustrated at the crashes when matchmaking. Seriously, it shouldn't be this unstable for a core feature of the game.

I'm also playing Hand of Fate, which is a weird little mix of action game and card game. Hard to explain easily what it is really. I watched a few people playing it on Twitch before I picked it up, as the reviews don't explain it that well. You'll pick up the basic idea within few minutes of actually watching someone play it though. The XBO version seems to suffer from quite bad slowdown at times, hoping they'll fix that, but it's not game breakingly bad.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Besides Monster Hunter which has taken control of my gaming schedule I've managed to break away to play a few things:

Bravely Default
Just a few hours in but already in awe of its awesome style and almost perfectly honed gameplay, can't wait to see how it develops.

CounterSpy
The dark horse of the PSplus update and surprisingly more robust and action focussed than I'd expected it to be. Really expected a dry collection of puzzle bits glued together but from early impressions it's a little more special.

OlliOlli 2
More of the same with the added task of linking it all together, might not get as deep into this as the first but it'll be good to pick up on every few months.

DOA5+
Had a solid number of online games cycling what seemed like every costume and stage of the core fighters version and as much as I loved it in its early incarnations I'm pretty sure I've fallen off the DOA train. It wanted more than I had to give for what feels like a renovated counter system and for what was once a competent fighting game it felt like all fights fell purely under who could get that first hit in, if a tutorial based purely on defense for this game exists I'd certainly give it a look should I ever return.

Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition
The one that partially broke Monster Hunters reign would read the epitaph for this game. Despite completing it a few years back I've managed to get quite hooked on it once again, mechanically it's nothing spectacular with the backdrop providing a good crutch to keep me there in the first place but the selection of things to do seems fine tuned to keep me far from bored. There's a fun game from any angle and the story is once again providing that safety option if I genuinely get even the slightest idea of turning the game off. I've heard a few people recently dismiss the driving and praise the combat but the tables seem reversed for me and as much as I see the faults in the driving the right selection of vehicle just seems to keep it fun, I can't remember when gunplay makes its way into the game again but I'm somewhat excited considering my memories of it from the last time are hazy. There is a worry that due to the price of GTAV I'm over praising the game and intentionally playing before that future purchase but having already played GTAV in it's PS3 guise I'm still surprised by what this game still has to offer.

Once again, no idea how I find the time but I'm playing way too many games and the fact that half of my time has been playing games online is an odd addendum.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Haven't had much time to play stuff these past few days. Social things seem to be popping up with short notice quite a lot lately, which is kind of unusual for me. I managed to play a little bit though.

I got up to the first boss of Force Unleashed 2. What a load of garbage that was. It was mostly QTEs, and what wasn't was just awful. That terribly clunky combat and movement mixed with attacks that are just too wide and too fast to possibly evade. All this with a loud, patronising voice shouting at you every 5 seconds simply telling you what you need to to for every stage of the battle. I've also noticed that it's pretty much impossible to even come close to dying on easy mode though. Pretty much all attacks do next to no damage, and your health recharges almost immediately too. It's a bit stupid how easy it is. So much I don't think it even counts as an "easy" mode. It's more like "we're not even pretending to care" mode. It makes the difference between easy and medium pretty massive. I'm glad this game is short, because it actually is starting to drop below my already very low expectations. I thought this game was supposed to have better gameplay than the first, if only minorly. At least it's still kind of pretty, and I fixed the screen tearing.

Today (or rather yesterday looking at the time) I also picked up a copy of Heavenly Sword. I did it mostly because I had some time to kill and wanted to buy something so I had some change to carry around. But I have been somewhat curious about this game for a while, since it's the only Ninja Theory game I hadn't played up until this point, outside of a few minutes with the demo. I wanted to see how it compared to their later work. Again, I have to say that even though my expectations were rather low from playing the demo, I'm still finding it underwhelming. Maybe I haven't had enough time with it, since I could only play the first 20 minutes or so, but what I've played didn't leave a good impression. It starts off with a scene where you're in a huge battlefield of enemies, and holy hell does it chug badly at that point. Really bad way to introduce people to your game. Normal combat was a little better. Ran smoother, but the animations still feel kind of floaty, but also erratic and not the most graceful. The mechanics feel pretty shallow too, and the shooting sections and motion control elements were just diabolical.

This is kind of in line with my impression of Ninja Theory as a studio though. Over time they've been getting steadily and clearly better. DmC was what I think was their first legitimately outstanding game, and I really hope they carry on with this trajectory with their next game. I can't help but root for them and their attitude towards business too after reading that big talk they did a while back. I think it was last CDG or something.
The_Rooster

Post by The_Rooster »

Heading head strong into the world of Farcry 4. Just about to head into the himalayas. Still early on into the story but christ it's fun just bombing round in a car or mini helicopter.

It's up there with one of the most beautiful games in terms of landscape. I do find it very funny how you can take on 50 guys with guns then get killed by a God damm honey badger.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been plodding on with Batman Arkham Origins. I say plodding on, that carries negative connotations I guess, but I just mean I make slow progress as I don't get to use my PS3 much. I'm loving it though. Far and away the best Batman game. Lots of big name extra baddies, I love the new crime scene detection mode, and the combat (widely reported as not as good as the first two games) is spot on (perhaps they patched it?)

Also been playing 999:9 Persons 9 Hours 9 Doors on the DS. Enjoying it a lot so far. A bit over indulgent on stating the obvious during text sections, but liking it all the same. I've been meaning to play it for years.