Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Suits »

stvnorman wrote: February 27th, 2020, 11:29 am You’re making me feel guilty emulating it, but you’ll get a lot more than me out of the original I’m sure! I’ve got it running great, but literally had one race. I’ll come back to it properly later. My default SNES emulator struggled with both of them. Took a bit of experimentation to get the speed of the originals right.
Hahaha, I’m sure I’m not 😄.

People should play the games they want, the way they want.

Mind, that’s a pretty mean feat getting that to run - although I freely admit I’m not up to date with the current state of FX Chip emulation but it used to be a tricky thing.

Exhaust Heat 2 is about £15 boxed and complete on import, which is nice 😎.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: February 27th, 2020, 10:07 am
KSubzero1000 wrote: February 26th, 2020, 12:50 am I think I got the world record for the second one earlier today. It's difficult to say for sure due to the all the different platforms but I'm at the top of the PS4 leaderboards and the closest time I can find online (by the legendary MoluJPN) is more than 12 seconds slower. Really proud of my strat on that one.
Way too much of a casual statement to announce such a remarkable feat.
Thanks mate! But you know, old-school japanese 3D action games like Vanquish are kinda my thing! :lol:

To be completely transparent, it looks like only a handful of players have ever played Vanquish competitively and I just happened to shave a few seconds off of the top spot on the easiest one (!) of the six challenges after a few hours of trial and error. We're not talking about some Ben Cartlidge level of mind-blowing achievement here. Something tells me I would probably be in the triple digits placement if this game had the same player base as, say, Overwatch. ;)
ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan »

DomsBeard wrote: February 16th, 2020, 9:14 am Sorted Nvidea Geforce now to see how it holds up vs Stadia and to play Disco Elysium on my Mac.

Interesting without being blown away so far. I think you need mouse and keyboard to play it optimally so glad I picked it up before waiting for the console ports.
I definitely agree that keyboard and mouse is optimal but I wouldn't be too concerned about the console port. There's no combat per se and the inventory management is minimal in comparison to Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin 2 and those ported over very well. In fact I think the latter game has fully kicked down the doors in terms of CRPG ports.

I'm more interested in seeing how the character will move and feel via free movement. He doesn't stand out or feel like a regular 3D character because of the painterly quality of the art. He almost bleeds into his surroundings. I find that with other CRPG ports the characters can look a little 'loose'. The free movement that you exercise is more jerky and odd in comparison to the pathfinding on PC. A related issues is his movement speed. On PC it's click once to walk, twice to run. I've been walking everywhere because running doesn't fit with the tone of the piece. The slower pace is adding to my exploration. I hope they find a way to implement that on console.

How are you getting on with the game since we last spoke? I am blown away. I think the writing and world-building is superb. I've heard it being described as indulgent but the author and designer, Robert Kurvitz, said it's inspired by Tolkien and D&D. Indulgent seems about right!

I'm in love with this character but I don't think the feeling's mutual. I'm pushing him toward his extremes. Alcohol, drugs, his lust for fame and celebrity. I also recognise some of his worst excesses. I've played RPGs where I've tried to make the character like me in some superficial or idealistic way. But this is my first time with a character that self-destructs like I do, that daydreams and bullshits his way through his addictions the way I can. I'm having a wild time and finding it truly hilarious.

The only sour note so far is the inconsistent voice-acting. I'm enjoying Jullian Champenois' performance as Kim however there is some very poor and almost pantomimic work among the supporting players. Thankfully it's not fully voiced so I can live with it.

I've been warned that the story loses momentum and becomes even more of a shaggy dog tale as the game progresses. At the moment that doesn't concern me. I'm getting a lot of Inherent Vice from the various encounters and that story, in both book and film, is deliberately obscure and rambling. I think I've seen enough so far to know that I'll be gripped by it all the way through, no matter what.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I've not had chance to play anything for a couple of weeks sadly. Looking forward to getting back into it. I'm still on the first day.
ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan »

DomsBeard wrote: February 27th, 2020, 3:55 pm I've not had chance to play anything for a couple of weeks sadly. Looking forward to getting back into it. I'm still on the first day.
My first day took me 8 hours! The 'time to beat' for this game seems to be all over the place. 25-30 is average but I'm gonna go way beyond that I feel.
DeadpoolNegative

Post by DeadpoolNegative »

Afterparty- Night School's follow up to Oxenfree isn't nearly as polished or interesting as its predecessor, but it's still a good game.

Vapid college pals Lola (Janina Gavankar) and Milo (Khoi Dao) are getting wasted at a party when they realize they're actually not a a party but instead, in- HELL!!!!! But there's one way out- win a drinking contest with the devil.

Unlike Oxenfree, which was more about exploration and mystery solving, Afterparty is more about building social relationships between Lola and Milo and the various demons so they can get an edge up on Satan (played with a comic suaveness by Dave Fenoy). The game is interesting in how it gives you several paths or relationships to choose from, but it often involves walking back and forth over and over again across big maps hoping to encounter an NPC with a speech bubble above their head.

The writing is very good; Lola and Milo weren't exactly bad people, but they weren't exactly good, either, which is why they wound up in hell. You get a lot of sketches and details about their lives on earth before they died, thanks to a demon whose job it is to torture them. Things are rarely spelled out, but you can get a good picture in your head of how Milo and Lola's neuroses kept them from being the kind of people who would get into heaven. It helps that Gavankar and Dao are very good in the roles, as is the rest of the case (but is Ashly Burch now legally required to voice a character in every game now?)

The game has a pretty amusing payoff if you know how to get the "Secret" ending. It's both sad and amusing in equal measure, but be forewarned it can be a chore to actually play.

Saw- I had played the sequel nearly a decade ago (and don't recall completing it), but I was always curious about the original game, which got middling to negative reviews. So I bought it in January with a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket.

and a few weeks later I had to return it, because the disc was too scratched it eventually conked out after a few hours. But what I did play, I liked.

Detective Tapp somehow survived getting shot in the last game, and now Jigsaw (Tobin Bell, the only actor from the films reprising his role) is going to put him through his own hell of traps. Jigsaw is punishing Tapp for ignoring the rest of his life while focusing on chasing the Jigsaw killer. This game reminded me that I always found Hoffman a more interesting antagonist than Jigsaw, because Hoffman's sense of justice was twisted but it made sense, whereas Jigsaw seemed more motivated by whatever the screenwriters would think might be a cooler twist. Amanda Young shows up, but the game makers either couldn't afford or couldn't bother getting Shawnee Smith's participation so it took me a bit to realize it was her.

Anyway. Tapp is forced to encounter many other lost souls that populate an abandoned asylum. Throughout the asylum you can also find old documents pertaining to its history, and this works surprisingly well for building atmosphere and mood. Unlike the generic warehouses of the films, this place has an actual identity. I enjoyed the silence punctured by the screams of Jigsaw's victims...

Several of whom I had to fight. I've heard the stories about how legendarily bad the combat is in these games. So legendary in Flesh and Blood combat sequences were thrown out altogether for QTEs. And the legends are true! You often get rushed by enemies and find yourself crammed into tight spaces while uselessly swinging a pipe. Often times it's better to just run away from them hoping the next area you get to will trigger a cut scene.

But I really found myself liking the game despite all the issues. And hopefully I'll find a new copy that won't conk out on me, allowing me to complete it, but I'll have wound up hating the game by the time I finish it. Who knows.

A Plague Tale: Innocence- I had ignored this game last year but now that it's on Game Pass and it was getting a lot of praise from some of the gaming podcasts I listen to, like Player One Podcast, I gave the first few hours a whirl. It's not that bad! The game play isn't that varied or exciting but to be fair that's by design. You're playing a teenage girl dragging around a preschooler with health issues. Just a lot of stealthing, dodging, and strategically placed rocks.

It looks great, and what really works is the voice especially by Charlotte McBurney as the lead character Amicia, a young woman who has to do a lot of growing up as disaster strikes her home and she finds herself stuck with a brother she barely knows and can't take care of.

Onimusha: Warlords- I don't recall playing Warlords back in the day but I do remember enjoying Samurai's Destiny, the sequel. I was a bit reluctant to try this game because of the Resident Evil style controls, but i turns out they did a little adjusting for this remaster. In fact, I'm really impressed with how well I adapted to a 19 year old game I'd never tried before.

The plot is familiar stuff- a bad guy, an evil demon general (oh that Nobunaga!), a princess to be rescued, a cute kid in the crossfire, and a hot ninja girl who you get to play sometimes- but it's effective and paced well. The game shows its age with the animated figures fighting across almost painted looking pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed cameras, but once you get used to the simplicity of the combat you're good to go.

--Dan
DeadpoolNegative

Post by DeadpoolNegative »

chase210 wrote: February 21st, 2020, 8:33 am Ratchet & Clank the 2002 original is an interesting one to go back to. Well, to play for the first time. I'd heard a lot of people say the remake is rubbish compared to this. But although the remakes story definitely suffers from being tied to the movie, I would still say it's far and away superior to the original. Not that it's bad, its just very very janky.

- Again, coming at it from the perspective of playing the remake first but the story is quite disconnected and vague, and again, weird.
While the remake has a much more straightforward story, I thought the story of the first game was pretty great. It wasn't afraid to have its main character act like kind of an asshole for a while. the biggest thing I love about the story though, is the ending, which I can't spoil. But I will say I can understand why you might find it disconnected and vague, a lot of people must have, since the Ratchet and Clank Future trilogy was dedicated to filling in new origins for the characters.

--Dan
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

No Man's Sky - I decided to start a new game, having not touched it in a couple of years and with a few new big updates behind it. I love it. I started on an awesome snow planet, the likes of which I've never seen before in my 15-20 or so hours with the game previously. In fact I liked the planet so much (easy going sentinels, lots of resources, no aggressive animals) I decided to head back there when the tutorial path reached the base building section. One thing I've noticed is it's a lot quicker getting your ship up and running since the updates, I was off the first planet within half an hour. I remember it taking multiple hours the first time I played the game. Enjoyed the time with it so far and looking forward to going back later.
TheEmailer

Post by TheEmailer »

Lair of the Clockwork God An indirect sequel to two indie point a clicks from a year ago. The two leads are the main characters, except Dan (who made The Swindle) now want to make 'emotional darling indie platforms'. So gameplay is switching between the platforming and point and click.
I'm a little frustrated with some of the puzzles, but it might just be because I'm out of practise. The jumping is maybe a bit floaty, not LittleBigPlanet levels but not the tightest.
But really I play for the writing, which makes me laugh alot. Broadly, its making fun of game dev and tropes, with lots of sillyness/low level puerility. So far its avoided being too meta by just being adorably daft.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

the first two infamous games which do not hold up at all, disappointingly. I don’t know if it’s cos Spider-Man has changed my expectations for open world super hero games, but these games have a poor frame rate, bad and cheap enemy design, poor traversal methods, the NPC characters all cut very weird and aren’t logical, it looks awful even by last gen standards, and in general, just aren’t great.
TheEmailer

Post by TheEmailer »

TheEmailer wrote: February 28th, 2020, 9:57 am Lair of the Clockwork God An indirect sequel to two indie point a clicks from a year ago. The two leads are the main characters, except Dan (who made The Swindle) now want to make 'emotional darling indie platforms'. So gameplay is switching between the platforming and point and click.
I'm a little frustrated with some of the puzzles, but it might just be because I'm out of practise. The jumping is maybe a bit floaty, not LittleBigPlanet levels but not the tightest.
But really I play for the writing, which makes me laugh alot. Broadly, its making fun of game dev and tropes, with lots of sillyness/low level puerility. So far its avoided being too meta by just being adorably daft.
Goooood god. There's an extended puzzle /joke in here (the 'admin' one) that's worth playing the game for alone. I exclaimed 'FFS' is bewildered glee
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

On console, I've been getting back in to The Division 2 now that friends are showing an interest with the new expansion just around the corner.

With the launch AI's hugely aggressive tendencies now patched out, traversing the map isn't the slog it used to be and with all the safe rooms and most of the missions unlocked, fast travelling is a little easier.
The thing is still a grind for sure and I'm still as likely to be playing alone as in a group but I am beginning to see more people actively playing this and my road to the final stronghold is about to come to a close which will put me at Tier V finally and be able to access some of the endgame content that has been gated as my gear score is not yet high enough.

I've also been nibbling at Halo Reach for the first time ever. Being able to set the controls via the MCC front end makes swopping between games in that franchise much easier and the story of Noble Squad's doomed defense of Reach is proving enjoyable, though not enough to make me ache to complete it.

I also gave Wolfenstein: Youngblood a try - this one isn't leaving much of a mark. The drop-in co-op works well but it seems to play like the social space in an online game - random missions here, there and everywhere. There is certainly a need to memorise a number of pathways through common spaces and the environments are all a little too similar to properly navigate initially - a GPS marker a la Division 2 or Destiny 2 would certainly be helpful and wouldn't be out of universe seeing as the main characters have power armour! Talking of the main characters, much is made of them being the children of the original protagonist. I have no issues with their backstory - I just don't like them! Which makes it a little hard to care what happens to them. I'm also finding the gunplay a little fiddly when in close quarters to the enemy
I can see the logic in providing a number of things to do that can push the story and allow players not to get caught by a difficulty spike that prevents moving onwards (you should be able to level up and come back to an area you were initially finding tough). It just feels a little off and the grey palette is not appealing for extended viewing.

And finally, I've also recently started playing a D&D campaign on the Roll20 platform. It works really quite well, considering that you aren't sitting with a bunch of like-minded people around a table. The advice/tutorials are entirely geared to the GM experience rather than that of a new player but as you get your head around it, it's a pretty featured set to aid online play in real time
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Quite alot of gaming tapas to be honest.

Halo 4 / 5 with Suits and Sloth. Really enjoying the almost nightly coop sessions

PvZ Battle for Neighborville - its overwatch PvZ basically. Good fun

Two point hospital - gamepass title to fill the time. Actually, it destroys time. Handy when waiting for new Ori.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'm still playing:

The excellent Tokyo Mirage Sessions . I really can't think of a JRPG so streamlined and in line with my current mood and tastes. Some of the idol stuff looks a bit 'tiddy' but up to now, the game has seemed quite wholesome, to be honest. The music is excellent and the plot and characters are fairly broad. It's just a good fun romp through a cheerful Persona-lite world.

The quite magnificent Ketsui Deathtiny and the bouncy, brilliant Dangun Feveron. They are fantastic ports with so many modes and OST choices and visual tweaks available and fundamentally amazing examples of the genre which would appeal to literally anyone who is vaguely interested in shmups. Ketsui, in particular, is simply one of the greatest ever. I'll be playing these games for years.

I'm back to playing:

The increasingly intriguing Steins;Gate Elite, a goofy but beautiful visual novel about time-travelling and existentialism. It took a good half hour to get going and I bounced off it several times when trying to start it in bed and falling asleep. I pushed past the slow start, though, and it's now starting to get under my skin. Yes, I could simply watch the anime but I enjoy taking the time to soak up the details and to think about what I'm seeing. It's going places now and I can't wait to get back to it.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Playing:
1)Axiom Verge

Giving Axiom verge another go. There are so many things I like about it but often I feel directionless and clueless as to the next step. Unlike say CastleVania: SOTN where usually the solution was clear but getting there was the challenge often I am in the right place but just can’t work out what to do.

So I’ve started cheating to an extent. I found a map with a suggested order of item collection so I’m working my way forward that way. I still have to work out what to do when I get there but at least I’m making progress. It’s changed frustration to enjoyment. The joy of exploration and discovery is still there but I’m making progress and hoping to see it to the end. I realise this is probably defeating the whole purpose of the game but I wouldn’t have continued otherwise. It’s more a compass than a sat nav so I’m not feeling too guilty.

2)Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze

Started on the WiiU with my son and quickly realised it’s too hard and frustrating co-op with him. He is desperate to play it with me so I’ve bought the switch version which has funky Kong mode which I understand should be more manageable! Fingers crossed.

3)Days Gone

Not sold yet on this but it’s gradually starting to click and I’m genuinely looking forward to playing it again. I suspect you have to invest a decent bit of time in it before it does start to get more enjoyable so i can appreciate why there was a lukewarm reception on release.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Simonsloth wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 11:31 am Playing:
1)Axiom Verge

Giving Axiom verge another go. There are so many things I like about it but often I feel directionless and clueless as to the next step. Unlike say CastleVania: SOTN where usually the solution was clear but getting there was the challenge often I am in the right place but just can’t work out what to do.

So I’ve started cheating to an extent. I found a map with a suggested order of item collection so I’m working my way forward that way. I still have to work out what to do when I get there but at least I’m making progress. It’s changed frustration to enjoyment. The joy of exploration and discovery is still there but I’m making progress and hoping to see it to the end. I realise this is probably defeating the whole purpose of the game but I wouldn’t have continued otherwise. It’s more a compass than a sat nav so I’m not feeling too guilty.
Mate, I have serious issues with this game and serious love for it all the same time.

My advice, stick with it.

I’m at a stage with it now where it’s all becoming clear.

I’m trying to put something down and settle with an opinion on in time for the podcast but I keep sweeping back and forth on it 😬.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

When I get a new gadget and work out what to do with it the pieces fall into place but sometimes what I have to do seems impossible. Diagonal glitch/dashes in the air and the grapple are infuriating. Haven’t done a precise platforming but using those yet and I hope I don’t have to
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Just finished the Final Fantasy VII Remake Demo.

Absolute joy from start to finish. Familiar enough for all the feelings and memories enough to come flooding back but with a new combat system which was fun to get stuck into. I had already paid up for the digital version but this was a nice surprise on a Monday morning.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

DomsBeard wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 5:01 pm Just finished the Final Fantasy VII Remake Demo.

Absolute joy from start to finish. Familiar enough for all the feelings and memories enough to come flooding back but with a new combat system which was fun to get stuck into. I had already paid up for the digital version but this was a nice surprise on a Monday morning.
I had my doubts when this was announced. Still had some of them when they started showing it.

Now I’ve played it, they’ve gone.

They’ve made this work, it’s a modern take on jrpg combat and a respectful treatment of the source. I especially love the music, how it blends in and out of the battles by using a more energetic version of the current area theme, but still uses set pieces battle themes too.

Voice acting is a little.... well... Squaresoft. But that’s about the only problem I have with it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh man, I can't wait to play it later. How long did it take you to get through it? Does the demo have much replayability?

In other news...

I'm still flitting about like a butterfly, not being able to stick with much. I started a fresh play of No Man's Sky the other night. Ten hours in and really enjoying it. They've done so much work on the game, and it shows. It's like a total reworking of many of the games systems, much less grinding and emphasis on getting in the air as quick as possible. It's just a really good, relaxing game.

No idea why, but I also started God Of War 3 Remastered . The game is starting to show its age graphically, but it's as good as God Of War has ever been. Played a couple of hours.

I'm trying to finish Assassins Creed 3 on Switch as I'm keen to move on with the series but I don't seem to be able to sit down with it for more than half an hour at a time lately. I'm very near the end though, so will push on. I told myself I'd play the AC: Liberation remaster (of the Vita game) before moving on, but the fact I'm kind of gloomy about doing so means I'm definitely not going to do that, may come back to it later. I never finished it on Vita so still need to get it done at some point just for the story.

I've also got Metro: Last Light I've been meaning to play since finishing the first game last year, but I've only played about half an hour so far.

ALSOOOOOOO.... Still trying to clear the last area of Mega Man X.