Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Craig

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Craig »

While I enjoyed Galaxy’s controls I’d say their implementation is far from essential - and in fact, there is an HD version without them! For the Chinese only version of the Nvidia shield you can pick up a few Wii releases including Mario Galaxy.

The most interesting thing about the games is they’re apparently running on an emulator using and the shield uses a similar chipset to the Switch. Hopefully the tech will see the light of day outside of China and outside of the shield.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Well true, the IR pointer in Galaxy is mostly used for collecting the star bits and could probably be replaced by a gyro or very generous stick option, although I would have thought that some sections would lose out on their intended flow a little.

I just have trouble believing that games that are completely centered around IR Wiimote aiming could be ported onto the Switch without undergoing any major rework first. But we'll see.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Super Mario Galaxy is already available with ‘trad’ controls, and in 1080p. In China:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... i-emulator
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Very interesting stuff. The analogue stick option does seem to work well enough for most of the game, although the DF guys do mention struggling with certain sections that were originally dependent on pointer aiming and bemoan the lack of accuracy in this emulated version.

So on SMG in particular, I stand corrected. I remain skeptical of similar dual analogue ports of pointer aiming dependent titles, however.
shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

currently attempting to play Okami HD for the first time (I missed it the first go-round). I had high hopes for this game, but so far I think it's just OK and I don't feel very compelled to play more; if I continue on, it'll be out of a sense of duty.

(I'm also a bit upset that I missed the cut-off period for Nex Machina imperssions, as that's one of the few modern games I've actually played and have a solid opinion on. *sigh* :(. so glad I bought that on disc; if it were a download I could load up at anytime, I'd barely play anything else)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

shadowless_kick wrote: January 7th, 2019, 2:22 pm I'm also a bit upset that I missed the cut-off period for Nex Machina imperssions, as that's one of the few modern games I've actually played and have a solid opinion on. *sigh* :(
It may be too late for the podcast recording, but I'm sure some people here would be interested to read about your impressions of the game, myself included. :)
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Alex79uk wrote: January 7th, 2019, 12:00 pm
KSubzero1000 wrote: January 6th, 2019, 3:04 pm Exactly. It's the same debate as with Skyward Sword or SMG.
Hmm OK, Skyward Sword maybe, but Mario Galaxy could so easily be played without the motion control. You only really need it for collecting the star bits and the odd bit of aiming Mario towards things. I think it could easily be adapted without too much fuss, and would be a much more enjoyable (to me) game for it. I just hate motion controls so much, it really hampered my enjoyment on the Wii. That's not to say I hated all motion controlled games, I enjoyed Resi 4, but I just didn't think Galaxy was enhanced by the forced motion at all.
You say this, but have you ever played light gun games on the Wii? They are freaking excellent. If you want some good ones on the cheap, Ghost Squad, Sin & Punishment 2, and House of the Dead 2&3 Return are some standouts. Really a shame that the Wii went the direction of shovelware and tacked-on motion controls when it had the ability to really innovate the light gun genre. Like, imagine something like Rez on the Wii? Or an entirely new type of game that uses that pointer control in a new and innovative way? I feel like the era of motion gaming was really a missed opportunity.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 7th, 2019, 1:19 pm Very interesting stuff. The analogue stick option does seem to work well enough for most of the game, although the DF guys do mention struggling with certain sections that were originally dependent on pointer aiming and bemoan the lack of accuracy in this emulated version.

So on SMG in particular, I stand corrected. I remain skeptical of similar dual analogue ports of pointer aiming dependent titles, however.
I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe. :P The Wii is not space age tech, not by a country mile. Like. Similar technologies existed with nearly the same level of performance in the 1980s - albeit for a much high cost. Think of it this way - there is a version of Area 51 on the PS1 that has no light gun support. You play it with a reticule slapped on the screen. If they could do it in 1996, why not in 2019?
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

shadowless_kick wrote: January 7th, 2019, 2:22 pm currently attempting to play Okami HD for the first time (I missed it the first go-round). I had high hopes for this game, but so far I think it's just OK and I don't feel very compelled to play more; if I continue on, it'll be out of a sense of duty.
Okami is a veeeeeeeeery slow burn. It's about 40 hours long for a first time play, and a solid 20 of that is world building. It really pick up pace in the second half. That said, yeah, if you don't have the patience to sit through 20 hours peaceful Zen gameplay? Don't force yourself through it and settle for a Let's Play instead. Not gonna be everyone's cup of tea, and that's okay.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 7th, 2019, 5:15 pm I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe. :P
Because I'm basing my argument on the technological limitations of the Switch itself. Just because it's the latest console doesn't mean its hardware is perfectly compatible with all the consoles and games that came out before it.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 7th, 2019, 5:22 pm
Magical_Isopod wrote: January 7th, 2019, 5:15 pm I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe. :P
Because I'm basing my argument on the technological limitations of the Switch itself. Just because it's the latest console doesn't mean its hardware is perfectly compatible with all the consoles and games that came out before it.
And from a hardware/software side of things, you'd be right. Lots of potential compatibility and porting issues. But purely from a controls perspective, there are very, very few Wii games that could not be ported. Look at Dead Space Extraction - build from the ground up for the Wii. Works perfectly fine (if a little sluggish) on PS3 with a Dualshock 3. The Switch having gyro controls eliminates the largest potential control barrier.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 7th, 2019, 5:26 pm But purely from a controls perspective, there are very, very few Wii games that could not be ported. Look at Dead Space Extraction - build from the ground up for the Wii. Works perfectly fine (if a little sluggish) on PS3 with a Dualshock 3. The Switch having gyro controls eliminates the largest potential control barrier.
Well, I sincerely hope you're right and that we will get a port of the Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch that plays and feels exactly like the original games without any creative or mechanical concessions.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 7th, 2019, 5:11 pm
You say this, but have you ever played light gun games on the Wii? They are freaking excellent. If you want some good ones on the cheap, Ghost Squad, Sin & Punishment 2, and House of the Dead 2&3 Return are some standouts.
Yes, I actually own all the ones you mention (plus a few more. The Resi ones and HotD Overkill). I don't really class light gun games as motion controlled, though.

I will say though, going back to HotD on Wii after playing it with the Move controllers on PS3 really shows up the Wii technology. It's awfully laggy when directly compared. They're still a lot of fun, though, even on Wii.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ghost squad is rad.

I think I find it the most enjoyable of the Wii shooters as it’s a shooter designed around being a console game and not an arcade game ported to a console.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Suits wrote: January 7th, 2019, 6:27 pm Ghost squad is rad.

I think I find it the most enjoyable of the Wii shooters as it’s a shooter designed around being a console game and not an arcade game ported to a console.
It is an arcade game ported to a home console though...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

True, although it was embellished for the home version.
fieldy

Post by fieldy »

Still Cracking with Dark Souls remastered but a few friends are putting together a Smash Bros ultimate tournament so I've picked this up and I'm running with this along side DS'. I love that this game is a huge love letter to all things Nintendo, I really love the soundtrack section where you can just sit and listen to a huge selection for Nintendo tracks amongst others 🙂
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah right, gotcha.

It just seemed so much better suited to a console compared to all of the HotD games - that’s why then.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 7th, 2019, 5:20 pm
shadowless_kick wrote: January 7th, 2019, 2:22 pm currently attempting to play Okami HD for the first time (I missed it the first go-round). I had high hopes for this game, but so far I think it's just OK and I don't feel very compelled to play more; if I continue on, it'll be out of a sense of duty.
Okami is a veeeeeeeeery slow burn. It's about 40 hours long for a first time play, and a solid 20 of that is world building. It really pick up pace in the second half. That said, yeah, if you don't have the patience to sit through 20 hours peaceful Zen gameplay? Don't force yourself through it and settle for a Let's Play instead. Not gonna be everyone's cup of tea, and that's okay.
Yeah, kind of in the same boat regarding Okami. I do have the benefit of a save file that's maybe 10 hours in, so there is the option to revisit it down the line.
shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: January 7th, 2019, 10:11 pm
Magical_Isopod wrote: January 7th, 2019, 5:20 pm Okami is a veeeeeeeeery slow burn. It's about 40 hours long for a first time play, and a solid 20 of that is world building. It really pick up pace in the second half. That said, yeah, if you don't have the patience to sit through 20 hours peaceful Zen gameplay? Don't force yourself through it and settle for a Let's Play instead. Not gonna be everyone's cup of tea, and that's okay.
Yeah, kind of in the same boat regarding Okami. I do have the benefit of a save file that's maybe 10 hours in, so there is the option to revisit it down the line.
I think I'll give it a little more time, but I've already semi-resigned myself to giving it up for something that'll grab me more. I've yet to get my hands on Dead Cells...