Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by dezm0nd »

My issues with Other M are control based. Nintendo made a few good games which were ruined by the lack of accessibility with flexible control methods.

I look forward to playing it properly if/when wr do the series for cane and rinse
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote: January 1st, 2019, 2:42 pm I look forward to playing it properly if/when wr do the series for cane and rinse
That would be nice.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Poking around some of the game pass stuff that interests me. I’m about two thirds through Rise of the Tomb Raider Which is decent but feels more like an add-on than a sequel, there’s very little new here.

Also playing Shantae and the Pirates Curse, which I think is a little more consistent than the HD era game that came after, but isn’t quite as nice to look at (unsurprisingly).
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Just started Celeste thanks to the Xbox One GwG service.

Caw blimey that's a goodun!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Isaac... you say? ... hello!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been really enjoying God Eater Resurrection on Vita. I'm about five hours in. It's my first real foray in to the monster hunting sub-genre of third person action adventures and it seems pretty good. The basic premise is that you are a monster hun... sorry, God Eater, who is training at God Eater school. So all the tutorials and learning of the game are framed around classroom learning which is kind of cool. I like it, cool Persona type aesthetic, good weapons and an actual story. Got both this and its sequel for slightly more than the cost of a pint, so I'm pleased.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Man, I got zero gaming done over Christmas, so I have to add the games I got to tide me over the Christmas break to my backlog.

I've managed to dip into The Return of the Obra Dinn this morning, and carried on with Subnautica last night. Subnautica is quite deceptive - though you can see the path to the endgame early on, getting there is quite long and gruelling (although I tried to go off half-prepared and as a result have spent a long time in disaster recovery mode).
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Really enjoying Diablo 3 on Switch. It's everything I hoped it would be so far, satisfying in all the right ways. My character is level 14 and the skills upgrades & variety in enemy design are great so far. Graphically and performance-wise it's very impressive, and it appears to have an immense amount of depth.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I played some Captain Toad on Wii U yesterday and was having a great time, until
Spoiler: show
the game suddenly ended... but then it turned out that it didn't and I'm only half way through, or so it seems! The levels look like they've become much more challenging as well!
What a lovely little game that is.
False Eight

Post by False Eight »

I caught a hellish cold after Christmas and started playing Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty to pass the time. I finished the story yesterday and I really don't know what to make of it. I have completed the game a few times before, but I've never quite liked it as much as 1 and 3. The Tanker section is every bit as exciting as the other games in the series, but Raiden's part is just plain boring. It doesn't help that the gameplay is repetitive, the new characters are dull and uncharismatic and the story's just incomprehensible in all it's absurdity.

I know nitpicking like this will annoy any reasonable person, but I've always been hugely bothered by the fact that the ship in the beginning of the game is called a tanker when it clearly isn't one. Tanker's don't have holds that are connected to each other through doors, they have tanks that are segregated from each other like the name suggest's. The Discovery resembles a bulker, a ship that's designed to carry dry unpackaged cargoes like coal or grain, not oil. She has cranes on her deck, not pipelines like a tanker would. This wouldn't really matter if the oil spill wasn't such a crucial part of the story, but because the word tanker is mentioned in every other cutscene, I find hard to pass it by. I also understand how silly complaining about minute details like this must sound when the game features a swordfight with the U.S. President, an immortal flying vampire and a romantic subplot straight out from the steamier corners of the internet, but I can't help myself. I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to ships.

I've also kept on losing a lot in PES. All quiet on that front.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Michiel K wrote: January 2nd, 2019, 5:54 pm I played some Captain Toad on Wii U yesterday and was having a great time, until
Spoiler: show
the game suddenly ended... but then it turned out that it didn't and I'm only half way through, or so it seems! The levels look like they've become much more challenging as well!
What a lovely little game that is.
Dude, that game just keeps going and going with new levels and fun twists.

Very delightful, fun, game that. One of my favs.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

It's 2019, and with games released in 2018 like RDR2 striving for realism and immersion, I decided to put my own reservations aside and embrace this pursuit towards games being more than games, but rather something much deeper and mature.

And in 2019 I start that journey, nay, adventure (if you will), with the 1998 GNet release of RC de Go!

I ordered it last year, and on the second day into 2019 it arrived in the post, complete with the RC controller that plugs directly into the motherboard, allowing you to become one with the game... truly zen.

I know what you're thinking: I have truly experienced nirvana. But lets dial it back a bit and express the connection I felt.

As the title suggests, lets go have fun with RC cars, and indeed, fun was had. Just like in really life, through the use of the replica Remote Control device, I was able to experience what it would be like to control a small car remotely. And just like in real life, the perspective is not from behind the car, but rather from a detached distance.

This means that, just like in real life, when the car is driving towards you, the directions of left and right are switched, requiring ones spatial awareness to be tuned in to make necessary adjustments. Does this means I crashed into the walls many times? Yes, yes it did.

Indeed, when it comes to realism and immersion, move over RDR2... RC de Go! is the true king.

2019 has started very auspiciously.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

:lol:
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m currently playing Chibi-Robo (GC) on the Wii. What a delightful game. I knew absolutely nothing about the game going in but am pleasantly surprised. It’s got a pikmin and animal crossing vibe particularly with the day cycle. It’s nice chipping away at certain goals and the world feels small and manageable.

Part of me hopes it doesn’t suddenly expand exponentially but another part of me hopes there’s a dramatic change. The pace is absolutely refreshing and exactly what I was after without knowing it. It’s also very kid-friendly although my son has started putting things on my 6 month olds head saying she is chibi robo so maybe not!

Looking forward to seeing what else is in store for me.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The podcast we did on it is in store for you!
😉
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 2nd, 2019, 10:36 pm The podcast we did on it is in store for you!
😉
That’s the reason I’m playing it! Looking forward to it.
oni-link

Post by oni-link »

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Fes (2007)

I'm 102 hours into this and a few days from the final boss. I'm really enjoying it and have been playing it since September. It's my second Persona game after 4, which I played back in 2016, and I maybe prefer it to 4. That said, I've probably gone overboard on grinding a little, but games with timers make me anxious. I don't want my game to end up unwinnable so I tend to err towards being a tad over leveled if possible

I'm not sure if I'll play the FES post game campaign yet, I've heard a lot of mixed things about it

Final Fantasy IV (1991)

I'm playing the GBA version, I'm 14 hours in and it's pretty good, but considering how much I love VII, IX, V and VI, I'm finding IV somewhat disappointing. I can't really put my finger on why, other than to say the combat is less fun. I seem to constantly have party members who are borderline useless and who seem to miss with every attack, and back attacks and ambushes happen all the time and always frustrate

I'm just about at the moon, but I think I have quite a lot of the game to go

Yakuza 0 (2015)

I'm 14 hours into this game too. It's my 3rd Yakuza game after 4 and 5 and it's rapidly become one of my favorites series' and one I hope is covered on the podcast one day

0 is just classic Yazuka, great world building, great story, amazing cast, goofiness mixed with serious drama and fun satisfying visually interesting combat. I'm just so happy these games are finally getting their due
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Played the very first scenario of Prey Mooncrash. Bit meh so far. I assume the appeal of this game are the different scenarios and the rogue-like aspects of it? Chaining everything together at the end? I wonder how much of it is scripted and how much is procedurally generated. I'll persevere and see how I feel about the rest.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Day 37 on Pikmin 3.

The ‘one more day’ scenario is real and hardcore.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 3rd, 2019, 2:35 am Played the very first scenario of Prey Mooncrash. Bit meh so far.
:lol:

Having a genre-curious forum member willing to try out new things at your behest can be a double-edged sword at times. :)