Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by ratsoalbion »

As per the podcast schedule, I think we make it abundantly clear that games of all ages, genres and platforms are equally welcome and respected here.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Chopper wrote: August 20th, 2019, 5:23 pm
Michiel K wrote: August 20th, 2019, 3:17 pm So this is what it has come down to already.
I don't know what you mean here Michiel, but I would say that Reprobate Gamer is not being negative about those games but just expressing a bit of uncertainty about his place on the forum. It can be a bit dispiriting on a discussion forum when no one else is playing the same games as you, though it's unavoidable with a small forum population and seemingly infinite numbers of games these days.
You'll note that it doesn't stop me posting...

I probably should have put a winking emoticon after my initial sentence - sometimes it's those odd mentions somewhere that open up a game or even genre that you never would have gone towards. Monument Valley is something that I wouldn't have tried without a passing comment somewhere. And I wouldn't have been as quick to load up Oxenfree when TrueAchievements had that as a playlist game without having also seen good words for it here and there.

It just happens at the moment that of the five (six? Does the Wii count as two as it can natively play Gamecube?) consoles ready to play at home, the Xbox One is currently the one with the most choice (and the only one I have headphones for - which is something of a consideration when I can only get onto games once the rest of the family has gone to sleep).

I genuinely like seeing what other people are playing even if my choice appears more mainstream (my usual gaming friends are mainlining Destiny 2, FIFA and Wildlands at the moment whilst I carry on with Arkham Knight and bounce in and out of Minion Masters and Warframe) so I accept that I'm generally a little out of sync.

And that's okay :P (remembered the emoticon this time!)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Chopper wrote: August 20th, 2019, 5:23 pm
Michiel K wrote: August 20th, 2019, 3:17 pm So this is what it has come down to already.
I don't know what you mean here Michiel, but I would say that Reprobate Gamer is not being negative about those games but just expressing a bit of uncertainty about his place on the forum. It can be a bit dispiriting on a discussion forum when no one else is playing the same games as you, though it's unavoidable with a small forum population and seemingly infinite numbers of games these days.
I think we all feel like we’re talking to the void on the forum sometimes.

But that’s cool and that’s the peaceful beauty of this forum I think.

I certainly read more than what I post.

When it comes to playing games no-one else is playing that’s cool too. In fact it’s really cool.

Although I understand if it can feel frustrating not being to join in on a hot topic.

I’ve sort of fallen into a three-pronged-pattern 🔱 with games.

Something new and fresh that’s on the shelves, then something old and retro that I know nothing about, then finally something off my shame list that I can get into and enjoy.

There’s never been a better time to be playing video games and chatting about them 😎.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Well said, Suits :)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I only really post in this thread when I’m doing something new. Most of the past month I’ve just been slowly working my way through a bunch of gamepass games, the story modes in Soul Calibur 6, and playing a bunch of Elite Dangerous and Overwatch.

I have gone back to playing Neverwinter this week, they’ve shifted the game from 4th to 5th edition which means a complete respec of my character from the ground up, but there’s also a bunch of new content that I’ve not been through. It does appear that I’m the only Cane and Rinse guild member to play in the last 2 years though, maybe someone can log in and promote me to guild leader so I can do stuff? :)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

How do you find going back to Elite? I’ve often thought about it, but it would probably entail a trip to Sagittarius A and I’m not sure I’m ready for that - it would probably be another exercise in gaming futility like my attempts to become a salvage expert in No Man’s Sky, or a business tycoon in Black Desert Online. Maybe one for the winter with the cat on my lap as co-pilot.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’ve never really left it, been playing it a few hours a week since launch really.

If you haven’t played it since Horizons launched it’ll be barely recognisable to you, so many things have been added and changed. The most recent was an overhaul of how the exploration systems work to make it a little more interactive.

There are more places to visit at distance now as well, there’s a chunk of human controlled systems in a place called Colonia that’s further away from Sol then even Sag A is, and there’s more coming,
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Chopper wrote: August 20th, 2019, 5:23 pm I don't know what you mean here Michiel, but I would say that Reprobate Gamer is not being negative about those games but just expressing a bit of uncertainty about his place on the forum. It can be a bit dispiriting on a discussion forum when no one else is playing the same games as you, though it's unavoidable with a small forum population and seemingly infinite numbers of games these days.
I should have put an emoji there as well, as I was being facetious and jestful. :P

Wasn't that long ago when I felt like the odd duck here, with my regular gaming palette of choice, so I'm all too familiar with the feeling. Clippa and fairly recent 2D shooter converts like Stanshall, Ksubzero (check out this dude's meteoric ascension) and hazeredmist have certainly changed that for me.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Michiel K wrote: August 21st, 2019, 9:39 am I should have put an emoji there as well, as I was being facetious and jestful. :P

Wasn't that long ago when I felt like the odd duck here, with my regular gaming palette of choice, so I'm all too familiar with the feeling. Clippa and fairly recent 2D shooter converts like Stanshall, Ksubzero (check out this dude's meteoric ascension) and hazeredmist have certainly changed that for me.
Ehhhh, damned emojis! I use too many of them myself and now am unable to comprehend posts without them :P Apologies for the kerfuffle, everyone.

I think RG's post just hit a nerve with me as I'd been thinking about it recently, and about how sometimes you need register your enthusiasm for a game and let nature take its course.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Flabyo wrote: August 21st, 2019, 8:42 am I only really post in this thread when I’m doing something new. Most of the past month I’ve just been slowly working my way through a bunch of gamepass games, the story modes in Soul Calibur 6, and playing a bunch of Elite Dangerous and Overwatch.

I have gone back to playing Neverwinter this week, they’ve shifted the game from 4th to 5th edition which means a complete respec of my character from the ground up, but there’s also a bunch of new content that I’ve not been through. It does appear that I’m the only Cane and Rinse guild member to play in the last 2 years though, maybe someone can log in and promote me to guild leader so I can do stuff? :)
Neverwinter is something that I pop into and out off - was in a reasonable amount over winter but then haven't touched it so hearing that I'm going to have to properly look at my GWF is a good heads up. As it happens, I am a guild leader for a guild that is very small and hasn't done a lot - we have a farm and are some of the way towards the next building. Understand if you want to join a larger guild to get access to the larger stronghold missions but if you are interested in a small guild to start with, I'm happy to invite you in with enough rights to be able to do something
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I love reading what people are playing here, whether old or new, obscure or well known. The diversity is the best bit, and makes me feel less like a weirdo when I’m not playing the latest and greatest that every other podcast or media channel is talking about. I like to post here too. I know most people won’t be playing some obscure Game Boy title about Bruce Lee, or discovering a Castlevania game for the first time like its 1989, but in the absence of anyone I know in the “real world” sharing any interest in my hobby, it’s nice to be in a friendly place just saying what you’re up to. Whether anyone wants to hear it or not!!!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Is anyone else playing DC Universe Online on Switch or.... just me?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Hello right stick, my old friend,
I've come to play with you again...

I started Metal Wolf Chaos XD.

This game is positively hilarious. From the Bernie Schwarzenegger protagonist in his off-brand Iron Man suit to the corrupt "DNN" host spreading garbage propaganda and blaming economic unrest on "mass immigration". I'm sitting around alone and sober and yet I'm going from one belly laugh to another.

It has this unshackled, oddly prescient and endearingly honest quality of so many other classics of the same time period that I love so much. It doesn't take itself seriously in the slightest and is all the more respectable for it. It's fueled by the exact same spirit as the final bossfight of Metal Gear Rising, expanded to an entire game with simplistic but fun and perfectly functional gameplay.

Generally speaking, comedy is a difficult theatrical genre to tackle in video games, but this game pushes all the right buttons for me at the moment. Especially with the world going to shit in the background. :lol:

PS: All hail based FROMSOFT for creating this gem and Devolver for localizing it. :heart:
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Flabyo wrote: August 21st, 2019, 9:37 am I’ve never really left it, been playing it a few hours a week since launch really.

If you haven’t played it since Horizons launched it’ll be barely recognisable to you, so many things have been added and changed. The most recent was an overhaul of how the exploration systems work to make it a little more interactive.

There are more places to visit at distance now as well, there’s a chunk of human controlled systems in a place called Colonia that’s further away from Sol then even Sag A is, and there’s more coming,
Ah! I played it when the Engineering stuff was introduced, and did visit an alien site with my SRV but that was quite a while ago. I have read bits here and there about the exploration overhaul, and that sounds good.

I looked into what a Sag A trip would take and it's fairly daunting. I think it might be a minimum of 16 hours of jumps with no distractions. :lol: Reading up on it made it quite tempting to reinstall the game. I do have a bunch of ships including a tricked-out Asp, but I'd probably want to get an engineered FSD, check out the self-repair options etc etc. I have that trophy for owning 10 distinct ships at once so I'm well used to a bit of grinding. On the other hand, I've stopped listening to podcasts much, so I'd need to queue up something there too.

The deluxe edition is EUR 8.99 on the PS Store today :shock:
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

stvnorman wrote: August 21st, 2019, 5:31 pm ... in the absence of anyone I know in the “real world” sharing any interest in my hobby, it’s nice to be in a friendly place just saying what you’re up to. Whether anyone wants to hear it or not!!!
For sure. Since my brother stopped gaming I don't know any real life gamers either. I spent lunchtime today trying to get him to make a Steam account so I could gift him Return of the Obra Dinn (a cunning ploy) but he was having none of it. :x
shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

Dead Cells has become much less fun ever since I switched to Hard mode. I've activated one (ONE!) Boss Cell, and now grazing some spikes or catching a hit from the most basic foot solider will decimate 95% of my life bar. also, damage dealt isn't always consistent; sometimes it seems normal, other times it's practically a one-hit kill. things would be less frustrating if I at least understood what causes the variation. as it stands, I'm always tense when playing now, and not in a good way.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw (PC) is a bit dull, unfortunately.

There seems to be less of a buffer between the player and the dull ARPG grind than usual - space travel, landing and taking off, and all interactions are just prettily disguised menus and loading screens, so you are X-ing through these constantly. The meat of the game is in the dogfights with other craft, but these are primarily governed by the stats of your ship (I didn't try with assists off) so the gear-grinding treadmill is fairly in your face too. It's all a bit unadorned - I realise that from a certain viewpoint, a lot of space games just seem like front ends for the grind, but this is a bit more in your face than usual in my opinion.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Went back to Elite Dangerous (PS4) last night for a while. I had to do the flight tutorials again but managed a few successful but bumpy landings after that.

Was surprised to find that I had two Asp Explorers in storage. I also had 50m credits so I was able to buy the biggest FSD and head off to Felicity Farseer to get it engineered. It looks like this mechanic has changed a bit since last I saw it, and you can buy materials from vendors now, though this is still a bit of a mystery. I'll get this up to level 5 (maybe) and then contemplate a long journey.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

There are some materials traders who deal in the rarer things engineers want, but you’re still mostly going to get them from doing missions or salvaging wrecks.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

There was an article I caught this morning (on Polygon? Kotaku?) which was talking about the 16 ship capacity fleet carriers. It mentioned towards the end that there was September patch update which will include a fully fleshed out tutorial.

That may be enough for me to finally try this one out - most of my friends list have this and I'm the odd duck out