Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ColinAlonso

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by ColinAlonso »

Three games on the go right now.

I'm through two of the 6 clubs in Empire mode in DJ Hero 2. I bounced off this back when I bought it as the tracklist leans more heavily on late 2000's hip-hop/r'n'b which I don't care for much. Gameplay is still fun and the freestyle crossfade sections in the tracks are a nice touch.

Playing Suikoden on my commute. I'm not following a guide but I do have a list of missable characters so I can try for all 108 and I'm currently stuck on a duel I need to win to get one. Its a solid RPG if not as engrossing as its sequel.

Dicey Dungeons is a clever little game. Each run involves going through 5 levels of enemies and a boss and each (successful) run takes up to an hour. Battles involve rolling dice and using them to power your ability cards. Abilities can do a number of things aside from attacking including inflicting status effects, adding a shield, duplicating dice, raising or lowering the value of dice etc. The abilities that affect dice mean you're not stuck with the original roll and each turn can become quite involved. The five characters I've unlocked so far each have their own difficulty, but that's due to each having a different playstyle. The first, the warrior, can reroll dice but then it get more complicated from there. The robot can roll dice up to the value of his CPU, if he lands on the total he gets to choose a special move, if he goes over he cannot use any moves. During his run you can obtain abilities that play around with that system a bit too. I've unlocked the subsequent episodes for the first 5 characters but I'm still trying to complete the witch's first episode so its early days yet. The soundtrack is a funky chiptune banger.
PallasRil

Post by PallasRil »

I've been trying to platinum Star Wars Battlefront 2 because I like challenging myself with things that are borderline insane. I also picked up The Division 2 since I'm done with Black Ops 4 and needed a new military shooter that allows me not to think. I'm glad to report that Division succeeds in that regard. I find it much more enjoyable than CODBLOPS because it's prettier and you're forever getting a dopamine hit with new gear.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Flabyo wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 4:58 pm There are some materials traders who deal in the rarer things engineers want, but you’re still mostly going to get them from doing missions or salvaging wrecks.
Cheers, I slowly came to this realisation myself yesterday. I don't have a lot of interest in the scanning side of things, and I have done next to no combat in this game, so I was trying to select missions with rewards I could parlay into the mats I need. It took me several hours to get about 3 mats, so I have switched strategies and am now at a place called Dav's Hope, logging in and out and collecting the eight or nine random mats scattered about.

Definitely grindy, I'm starting to question myself. :) Man, it took me forever to find the place based on the co-ordinates (it's an abandoned base on a small planet so going in and out of supercruise was torture).
ReprobateGamer wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 5:42 pm There was an article I caught this morning (on Polygon? Kotaku?) which was talking about the 16 ship capacity fleet carriers. It mentioned towards the end that there was September patch update which will include a fully fleshed out tutorial.

That may be enough for me to finally try this one out - most of my friends list have this and I'm the odd duck out
You know that, In space no one can hear you scream, thing? Well it's a good job, because you will be doing plenty of screaming when you're trying to learn the game :lol:

I don't mean to put you off, but it's definitely an acquired taste. It's a brilliant flight simulator, and the space hubs are fantastically realised, but it is a grindy experience - you are constantly working toward goals like buying a bigger engine, or a bigger ship etc, and sooner or later you have the moment when the veil is lifted from your eyes. It's a lot of fun (and frustration at times) getting there though.

It's not that far removed from Destiny really, so you might be alright ;)

It's also a bit like Euro Truck Simulator and those type of games in a way - the zen-like experience - and is great for 'Woah, space is humongously big'-type moments.

Those carriers look cool, though I can't imagine what they'd cost.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Elite has always had that, right from the very first wireframe version way (way) back when - which is a large part of why I haven't tried it out - my gaming time is already limited and there are more than one grind games on my (supposedly) active playlist.

I'm reasonably certain there would be a point where I would be able to just explore without feeling obligated to grin onwards but I'm also reasonably certain that it would be a while to get there ...

For moments when I'm wanting to fly around in space and shoot things, Everspace seems suitable. It's not much of a sim but as a blast it does fine. Warframe will also be adding space battles soon so that side of things I think will be covered.

Which is all very well but Elite is still there ...
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I've been dabbling back in Forza Horizon 3 lately, and trying to wrestle with the PC version again. It's always been poorly optimised and very hard to run. I've never been able to run it anywhere near 60fps reliably. Something I haven't had a problem with on FH4, on higher settings. But now, after all these years, I think I finally cracked it. It still doesn't run perfectly, but it's close enough to constant 60 to make occasional dips forgivable. And the visual settings are still high enough to look nice too. The key was to drop down the resolution to 900p. It makes the game look a bit pixelated, especially since I can't push the anti-aliasing very far, but it's still enough for the details not to get lost in all the jaggies. I'm kicking myself a bit for not working this out years ago. I was always resistant to changing resolution because I didn't want to lose detail too much. And I did once try it at 720p, but it looked terrible, so that put me off trying again. I have a feeling it didn't even run well either, maybe because I had other settings too high as well. But anyway, it works now, and it's nice to be able to play this one at 60fps finally.

And I did get some use out of it too. I finally finished up beating a championship on every route in the game. So I got to test these new settings out in a lot of different situations. It was fun to get stuck in to some raw racing again for once as well, instead of aimless free roaming. Racing feels kind of weird in this game though, at least compared to 4. It feels like there are some tracks that are way harder than others, not because they are hard to drive, but just because the AI is way faster on them than others. I guess they refined the rubber banding mechanics over time. Tried out some new cars, and fiddled with their settings too. Another thing strange about this game is how it seems the Horizon Edition cars that are supposed to be set up to be really good for racing by default are sometimes not really very good. They have a focus on handling over speed, but the Performance Index rating system seems heavily biased against that sort of car. So you just can't keep up with the AI. But a couple of them are still really good, and I've found adjusting the differential settings on any car also helps a lot.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

ReprobateGamer wrote: August 24th, 2019, 12:50 pm Which is all very well but Elite is still there ...
You should get it now, there’s a deep discount on ps4 and pc so I expect that’s the case for Xbox too. Make sure you get the version with Horizons included.

I’ve often thought about getting everspace but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

I picked up Elite for less than £12 back in a January sale ... it's been sitting on the hard drive staring at me as I scroll past

I've only tried Everspace once or twice so far - there is a roguelite element to it and I think the handling is a little off (more akin to how you'd expect a plane in atmosphere to handle than being able to properly navigate a 3D space but I do want to go back to it and give it a proper try
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I just beat Enslaved: Odyssey to the West earlier tonight and.... Phew, lads. That game is very much worth playing. It's very short, and that ending makes the whole thing worth it. It's a hidden gem, for sure.

Also been playing Apex Legends an hour or two each day. I've gotten very good at it. But the monetization of the last event has really poisoned the water for me.

Also started The Long Dark, and fuck that game. It's "realism" to the point of anti-realism.

Been slowly hammering away at Fire Emblem Echoes, and it's alright. Better than Awakening and Fates for sure. But lacking a certain hook.

My next big single player game will be Man of Medan, and I'll probably hit up the FF8 remaster when that drops.

Oh, and The Council was good fun until the lame plot twist.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Magical_Isopod wrote: August 25th, 2019, 7:27 am Also started The Long Dark, and fuck that game. It's "realism" to the point of anti-realism.
It’s lovely though, right? I hope you’re not playing the campaign/story. It’s much better in free roam.
Delighted you got over your dislike of the character models and tried it. What was the twist?
Spoiler: show
The whole occult bit? Or lady whatshername?
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I’ve fully engineered my jump drive in Elite, I can get 48LY jumps out of it now, maybe 50 when I get back to home base and fit it out properly for exploration.

Considering whether to get something called a Guardian Drive now, which would add another 10 LY. That involves a bunch of missions which have Rover combat [screaming emoji] though, so I dunno.

I’m not sure if what I’ve been doing for the last three days in getting the engineering materials has been fun exactly. It’s certainly been something.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Chopper wrote: August 25th, 2019, 7:59 am
Magical_Isopod wrote: August 25th, 2019, 7:27 am Also started The Long Dark, and fuck that game. It's "realism" to the point of anti-realism.
It’s lovely though, right? I hope you’re not playing the campaign/story. It’s much better in free roam.
Delighted you got over your dislike of the character models and tried it. What was the twist?
The whole occult bit? Or lady whatshername?
RE: Long Dark... The anti-realism was in how long and mechanical obtuse it was to complete any action. They have these dial timers on EVERYTHING to try and simulate actually performing the action, but having actually learned some survival skills myself, I can say that the act of doing an action feels as though time is not passing -- like how a busy day at work feels shorter than an uneventful one. It really felt like something designed by someone who likes to read about outdoorsmanship, but has never actually done it.

RE: The Council... No, the twist comes toward the end of Chapter 4, and it's played so straight the game becomes a parody of itself. The art style is actually great, and MOST of the voicework is good... But that main character's performance is just awful. I thought it may have been a Frenchman imitating an American accent, but it's just an actor that isn't great at voicework. The rest of the cast is very good, which really highlights how lacklustre he is.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Ha, it’s funny the small things that set us down the road of not liking a game. I can’t tolerate games which start out grounded and veer into the supernatural in order to explain events, or hand-wavy or vague denouements. I’m happy to take any preposterous nonsense if expectations are set ahead of time though.

Agree about the voice acting of the main Council character, bit of a shame there, but it didn’t impact my enjoyment much.

Hmmm, can’t remember what I was going to post now... :?
Kacey

Post by Kacey »

Suits wrote: August 20th, 2019, 7:35 pm
There’s never been a better time to be playing video games and chatting about them 😎.
This is something I find true and rather beautiful. My area of interest is very much the early to mid 2000s, the Xbox and early 360 era. Many of my friends into the same stuff wish they could go back to 2004 and play Halo 2 online in its prime before the servers shut down, or get their hands on a brand new S Controller.

While sometimes I feel the same, it's easy to forget the modern conveniences and prices of things far outweigh the sadness of days gone. I'd be lying if my heart didn't ache for the secrets of Planet Hot Wheels, a 2001 MMO nobody will ever get to play again, or for Midnight Club 3 online multiplayer. Yet, it's beautiful that I'm able to go back and indiscriminately experience just about any game or system I want, either on the cheap or free by simply emulating it.

And now with the internet, time to contemplate and the dust, hype and competition that always surrounds a new game settled, we can talk about it at its core. Nobody can really review Destiny on its release day-- but I think we probably could, at this point. Same for most early 3D games or early online games, the novelty and newness of the tech changed the way reviewers talked about the games- we can consider them without that hype today.
DeadpoolNegative

Post by DeadpoolNegative »

Superman Returns- I played and beat this over a decade ago for the PlayStation 2 and remember enjoying it despite its reputation, and I found a cheap copy of of it at NJ Gamer Con. So let's give it another go.

There was a very good Polygon article about the troubled development of this game a few years back. EA Tiburon, the Madden guys, is the developer. And after this, they remained the Madden guys. When you read the article you learn a lot about the restrictions DC put on them, and the time spent working on it that resulted in a lot of the story by Marv Wolfman being thrown out. Also, Superman Returns the film was shrouded in such secrecy they didn't get a full look at the script.

But Tiburon did have a couple good ideas here, mainly that since Superman is so powerful, instead of him having a health bar, they give the city of Metropolis a health bar, and when Metallo and other villains attack the city, or fires or other disasters happen, you have to prevent them. But the more people get hurt, and the more the city gets wrecked, the more that health bar goes down. Metropolis is a vast, multilevel affair, and there's a nice, tranquil simplicity to just flying around- I do think as I did back in 2008 this game really gets the flying right. THere's a good amount of combos and various uses for heat vision, ice breath, and super-breath, though like me you may just find yourself using the same combos over and over since they work.

The problem becomes there's not too much to do- either you fight fires or fight bad guys, basically. Mr. Mxyptlk has some races to send Superman on. There are stretches- not long stretches, but they FEEL long since the city is so empty- where you're just waiting to get a signal to do one of those menial tasks to push the XP bar forward and advance the story as well. And the story is piecemeal- it awkwardly jumps between storylines with Metallo and Mongul (who shows up in a new scene taking place before the events of the movie, which I found near impossible to beat way back when but pretty easy now), and parts of the movie. The film's cast lent their likenesses and voices to the game, though Kate Bosworth looks and sounds off. I was really disappointed with Routh's performance- the script by Flint Dille and Wolfman doesn't give him much to work with, true, but he delivers lines in the same stilted stuffed shirt style he did in Superman Returns. Considering how much better Routh has been in... well, pretty much every thing he's done since Superman Returns, I'm gonna lay this one at the feet of Warner Bros and Bryan Singer.

Spider-Man 2 set a standard in 2004 that Superhero open world games have struggled to match, and this game is a prime example of that struggle. It was likely time Also, this game's graphics are sooooooo 2006 it hurts. Metropolis from afar looks weirdly blue green and there's a lot of pop-in. Especially annoying is when you have to take an injured citizen to an ambluance and the game specifies one far away but the game's lack of model variety usually means there's an ambulance RIGHT THERE.

And yet, I enjoy playing this game and will likely press on...

Spider-Man 2- speaking of, I've been playing the XBox version of this and I Cannot, I repeat CANNOT- turn off Doc Ock's crazy machine. Can anyone help me out with this? Also, this game is probably the only example of a movie tie in adding something- mainly the Black Cat plot- that actually enhances the movie's storyline (since it helps Peter sort out his feelings for Mary Jane).

Snpier Elite 4- free on PlayStation Plus this month, I only just got around to trying it. I played through and enjoyed Sniper Elite V2 for the 360, though I had to laugh at the game's over the top ending and hints at a Cold War set sequel, which never materialized. I was really impressed with, in a sad, inner 13 year old way, the whole bullets crashing into bones and organs effects that Rebellion Developments seems to have way too much fun crafting.

Set in Italy in 1943, the downmarket BJ Blazkowicz that is Karl Fairburne is back and ready to kill some Nazis. In V2 the levels felt linear- here it's a lot more like Hitman and I approve of the change. I found myself on an island off the coast of Italy filled with little targets and goals to take out. The main one was a high ranking Nazi officer who of course has intel. But there were also four other Nazi officers to take out, a checkpoint to clear, and Nazi propaganda cameras to destroy. While I wouldn't exactly call it variety- there are also an absurd amount of collectibles to grab- what I appreciated about it was that it gave me plenty of goals to think about as a navigated the terrain and made my way towards the main target.

The game is fairly challenging for me on even the Casual difficulty, which surprised me but didn't bother me too much, because the game's stealth mechanics so far are fairly solid. Nothing particularly earth shattering or innovative, but it plays fair with its surroundings and what the player and enemies can or can't see.

But we're really here for the gross, gory effects, and the game delivers. Shooting in this game feels very tactile and solid, and you feel every crunch the bullet cam slaps onto the screen. It's so... satisfying to pull off a long shot, or pull it off without having to hold your breath (more XP for me!). What I found myself doing surprisingly often is waiting for soldiers to get into the vicinity of cars and trucks and gas canisters so I can shoot them and blow them up. Even better, there are now environmental kills- shooting a load of bricks that just happens to be hanging above a busy street or shooting out support beams on a platform.

The Council- damn you and your sales, Microsoft. I initially passed on this Telltale-alike from developer Big Bad Wolf. I was kind of annoyed that the voice actors for the main character and his mother were American when the characters were clearly French- in fact the voice actor of the main character, Louis, while not giving a bad performance, felt really off and not suited for the material. But I was continually intrigued by what I heard about the conversation mechanics. Big Bad Wolf has hit on some fascinating mechanics, and when they offered the first episode for a little over a buck, I gave it a shot. I was hooked enough after the first episode to buy the season pass, and here we are.

What are the mechanics, you might say? Well, you can choose Louis' background and interests at the start. Politics, subterfuge, knowledge of the occult, psychological warfare, even agility- all of these abilities can be used to navigate the game's world and its characters. One skill might be effective in learning something from a particularly tricky subject- but that may mean you won't have the ability later to unlock a box containing power ups. Or one skill will cause the person you've having a conversation with to avoid the question.

Your abilities come with a price- Louis has a limited amount of focus to use these special traits, and depending on how much experience you have, and how many points you have put in will affect what you have to win or lose a confrontation.

The Council is not simply a game of "X Will remember that", Big Bad Wolf is trying to make the experience more, well, playable. And that's what drew me to the game. There are some mildly interesting puzzles and plenty of wandering around the big island estate where the game takes place, but the conversations between Louis de Richet and the personalities he meets is the meat. Initially the Council is thrilling in that regard.

Then something goes horribly, terribly wrong.

Let's finally talk about the story: Louis De Richet and his mother Sarah are members of the Golden Order, a secret society based out of France that collects occult artifacts. When Louis' mother goes missing in the early 1790s, he finds himself summoned to the island manor of the mysterious Lord Mortimer where she was last seen. Sarah de Richet was supposed to cast a vote for the Council, a sect of world leaders and movers and shakers from Europe and the United states that include some dude named Napoleon Bonaparte (whose actor speaks with a French accent) and George Washington, you know, that President guy. Louis finds himself embroiled in not only the fate of his mother but the Council's desire to manipulate world events for mankind's own good. The lovely duchess Emily Hillsborrow (a VERY Good Bibi Jones- the voice acting is fine in general but she stands out) has eyes for Louis, and he has eyes for her. Too bad he keeps having visions of his mother shooting her. And there's that strange girl with her head shaved that looks like the long lost daughter of John Adams...

For the first three chapters, I was hooked. Louis' continual descent into the bizarre world of the Council has a lot of intrigue and the characters are very interesting, despite the fact that the character models are all hyper-detailed (except for the smooth skinned Emily) and look like overly busy Todd McFarlane drawings. Lord Mortimer isn't an eccentric that dabbles in the occult who has a lot of rich friends- he's a man who's trying to manipulate the fate of nations, with Washington and others as his beneficiaries. At times it kind of felt what it must be like to be the Templars in the Assassin's Creed series- SHOULD people choose their own fate, or does this chaotic world need shaping by the "Right" people?

But then episode 4 happens and
Lord Mortimer turns out not just to be all powerful but a literal fallen angel that left heaven after Lucifer's rebellion against God. And the snotty British dude who opposes him in the council? Another angel, and his brother. Not only that, but Lord Mortimer is your father! Not only that, he's also Emily Hillsborrow's father, so if you pursued a romance with her, you've been fucking your sister. Not only THAT but those visions you've been having? since Louis is the sire of a Daemon, you can actually take possession of people's bodies. Oh, and the only way to stop Mortimer is to stab him with the spear that was named into the side of Christ on the cross. To quote Vanessa from the Square Roots podcast: WHAT. WHAT. WHAAAAAAT.
This turn of events completely shattered the mood the game built up to that point. Despite some seeds for it being sown in earlier chapters, it was just too much for me and flattened all the nuance the game was building towards. A real shame, since Big Bad Wolf's heart was in the right place. I would really love to see them tackle this again, with a different genre and setting, though I'm not sure how well the game sold.

--Dan
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Man, two The Council posts on one page; I’m in heaven!

I enjoyed your spoiler section immensely, Dan. Everybody else - don’t read the spoiler but rush out and buy the game, which is incredibly cheap right now :D

Great summary of the game, glad you enjoyed the first half at least. The events you described made a bit of an impresssion on me but I was happy to roll with it:
me wrote:There were a few points in the late game where I felt a little bit railroaded, as I guess the game was giving me a second chance to consider my big decisions, by making me spend time with the opposite view. There were also a few places where you have to swallow your disbelief, but overall it's a very accomplished piece of work.
:P

Edit: by the way, Big Bad Wolf have been taken under Paradox’s wing, and are working on ‘a narrative RPG in the Vampire the Masquerade universe,’ so we will hopefully see something more from them.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

DeadpoolNegative wrote: August 26th, 2019, 1:54 amSnpier Elite 4- free on PlayStation Plus this month, I only just got around to trying it. I played through and enjoyed Sniper Elite V2 for the 360, though I had to laugh at the game's over the top ending and hints at a Cold War set sequel, which never materialized. I was really impressed with, in a sad, inner 13 year old way, the whole bullets crashing into bones and organs effects that Rebellion Developments seems to have way too much fun crafting.
Yeah I tried this the other night. Looked very impressive and was as smooth as silk to play. I ended up playing the first level and thought "yeah, I see what this is", and immediately deleted it. Not that I didn't enjoy it, I thought it was quite fun. I just knew I wasn't going to commit to finishing it and once I'd got the measure of it just thought that if I'm stealthing around I'd rather be playing MGSV or Hitman, neither of which I've played more than an hour or so of! I may go back to it one day, but given the huge backlog, it seems unlikely.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Having recently got my Wii firing again, I've been playing a couple of deep cuts one or two of you guys might have stumbled across:

Super Mario Galaxy

I'm about halfway through and every minute of this is such a pleasure. The ambient music and sound design add so much to this, it's so lonely at times, and melancholic, twinkling away, and then you arrive at a new planet and suddenly it's all trumpets parping away joyously and squidgy basslines, then the next minute you're soaring through the skies and the strings are swooping and carrying you along. It's a genuine work of genius before we even get to the feel of the thing.

This is the essence of Mario for me. This is what I think of when I think about Mario. The 2D games are fantastic but something else entirely. 64 is brilliant but the camera is a bit quirky to entirely forget about it. Odyssey has a tremendous highlight reel but quite a lot of filler. Galaxy is about 95% solid brilliance. To offer the only criticisms I can think of, some of the comet stars are a bit frustrating. One or two of the motion type minigame stars are a bit hard because of the controls. The hub is a bit more straightforward in Galaxy 2. That's all I got. I'm also playing via the VC:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Never finished this as a kid. Never finished it on the 3DS. Maybe maybe I've got past Death Mountain but I can't remember it. Until I played it on the 3DS, I didn't even know about the Temple of Time concept. Honestly. Anyway, I've restarted this and I'm very very much enjoying it, not least for the wonderful music (again). Only just got onto Hyrule Field and although it obviously doesn't have the same impact it did in '98, there is a grand sense of adventure to the whole affair which sweeps you along. Will I get there this time? I dunno. I recently restarted the original Tomb Raider on the PS Classic and I got about halfway through, really enjoying it, but then dropped it because I started relying on save states to balance out the time wasting sudden deaths. I think this is much better, more tightly designed so should avoid that'd kind of thing but we'll see how it goes. Thrilled to be in this little world again, though. The dawn music...
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Stanshall wrote: August 26th, 2019, 5:06 pm Only just got onto Hyrule Field and although it obviously doesn't have the same impact it did in '98, there is a grand sense of adventure to the whole affair which sweeps you along.
That's exactly what kept me going when I played it on 3DS last year - lying in bed thinking about what you've done and what to do next is always the sign of a game worth seeing through!

On a completely opposite note, I’ve been playing Detroit. I really liked the first chapter with its future-CSI vibes, but since then I’ve been collecting packages and cleaning houses and if it doesn’t pick up again soon it will go the way of every other David Cage game I’ve ever played!

Also gone back to two games I’ve started many times but never finished. I’m about half way through Super Mario Land 2 on Game Boy. It doesn’t have the nostalgia to me of the first, but it ramps up just about everything that did. Except the difficulty maybe. Really fun though.

The other game is Castlevania Symphony of the Night on PS4. My preference will always be for the more linear Castlevanias, but my recent obsession with the Konami Collection prompted me to persevere this time, and by treating it as more of an RPG than on previous attempts, I think it’s clicking a bit more than before. Spending some real time with it has also made me realise it has one of the best soundtracks I’ve ever heard!

Lastly, I am over the moon to have finally come first on the Sega Ages Virtua Racing Medium track on the default arcade settings. I wasn’t expecting to have to spend over 20 hours getting into the top 250 on the global leaderboard in order to do so though! Absolutely love this game all the same - I used to play the Mega Drive version with my brother so have some history, but with this Switch release it’s definitely crept into my top 50 games ever.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote: August 26th, 2019, 5:06 pm Having recently got my Wii firing again...
Approved.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Generation Zero

It has always been on my pick up when cheaper or when on Game Pass list for a while as it looked interesting. Lo and behold it appears for free on Xbox Live for the weekend so downloaded straight away.

I had a good couple of hours but ultimately I deleted it before the weekend was up. The setting is good (think Everybody's Gone to the rapture in Sweden) with some combat. The atmosphere is good as the world feels abandoned much like Rapture and you are piecing together what happened. Ultimately I struggled with the combat as I was playing alone and was then downed I had to respawn at a ''safe house'' which was usually another 10 minutes back from where I died. If there was more than 2 enemies it was pretty much game over. This 100% needs to be played with friends.

Dino Crisis 2

Played for 30 minutes and feel like I have already shot more dinosaurs than I did in the entirety of the original. Everything just seems dialled up to 11 whether it is the running, shooting and music.

A Way Out

Have started playing this with the Mrs and had an absolute blast with it. It is pretty simple but pretty much 99% of our cock ups have been due to not working together. I'm pretty sure it is on sale on Xbox right now too so would recommend.