Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ReprobateGamer

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Miririn wrote: March 5th, 2021, 2:11 pm
I got through it! Like a moron I didn't use the Auto Health Chips because I thought they were just for automatically consuming your healing items without pressing the d-pad and circle, haha. I can't believe I'd been playing so much of the game without them! On the 9S playthrough now, except I have zero experience with bullet hell shooters and have now realised I'm not particularly good at them. Would like my big gothic sword back please.
:lol:
Good job then if you weren't using auto health! I don't remember healing items ever being a problem in this game but I also don't recall any explanation of chips properly going into how it all works so I've kinda found one set-up that works for me and haven't ever properly gone into loadous for this.

And I'm in support with you on bullet-hell shooters - not a genre that I'm all that keen on and I approach most of the hacking sequences with dread ...
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Ghosts’n Goblins Resurrection is a thing of beauty, and, just like its predecessors, I’m having the time of my life playing the first two levels over and over. It’s crazy brutal!

Played Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Classic Mode on Xbox, which is a nice bonus, but doesn’t feel as “classic” as Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon or its wonderful sequel; it’s all there, but just missing a bit of soul.

Not sure why I decided to play through the very average Battletoads and slightly less-so Double Kick Heroes on Xbox One, a rhythm action game elevated by its devotion to the very depths of heavy metal, but I guess I had a good time!

Also played a load more Middle Earth: Shadows of War on PS4, but I don’t know, I’m enjoying it but increasingly feeling I’ve played it all before in the first game.

My Xbox Series X arrived on Friday then spent a day downloading stuff, but I’ve played a fair bit of Forza Horizon 4, a couple of hours of The Medium and Dirt 5, and the Gears 5 boot camp. All very nice so far, though The Medium isn’t exactly a next-gen showstopper!

And after some more Badlands, I reminded myself why its predecessor Supersprint on Atari ST is one of my top 20 games ever! Really enjoying the ST at the moment, though some of my old disks are a bit hit and miss now.
Switchsayer

Post by Switchsayer »

Hello all,

Long-time listener, first time poster!

I’m currently playing Hyrule Warrior’s: Age of Calamity on Switch. I’ve put 50 hours into it now, completed the main game and have done pretty much all I can/am willing to do. As a Zelda fan, I have enjoyed it very much.

I’m a massive Pokemon game fan (Gold being the best IMO) and was put off by the negative fan reviews of Sword/Shield so decided to skip it. But after some research I realised those “fans” are just spoiled people who were moaning about the national Pokédex cull and the lack of Breath of the Wild graphics engine. So I’ve bought it and it’s arriving tomorrow! As long as the same formula is there I’m sure I’ll like it.

I’ve also put nearly 90 hours into AC: Valhalla on PS5. I’ve really liked my time in this world. Being a Viking and sailing around England, burning down villages and pillaging monasteries has been a blast. The main story arcs have been quite absorbing too, and I appreciate the changes they made to the open world, omitting spray-gunning the map with a million side-quests like in Odyssey.

Well, that’s it from me for now. I look forward to reading more of your posts!

SS
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Switchsayer wrote: March 7th, 2021, 3:04 pm Hello all,

Long-time listener, first time poster!

Well, that’s it from me for now. I look forward to reading more of your posts!

SS
Hey Switchsayer, and welcome to the forums!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm still deep in to year 2 of Stardew Valley and loving it. It's my little place of tranquility at the moment. Also started Warframe which I'm enjoying so far.

But, the only new thing I've been playing this week is Lonely Mountains Downhill, which turned me off immediately. It was too difficult, didn't like the controls, irritating and frustrating, and massively disappointing considering I've been saving it since Christmas. But... I stuck with it, and it suddenly clicked! I'm really enjoying it now. The thrill of barely being in control, hurtling down a slope towards a sheer drop, skidding round a corner, it's ace! I changed the controls to standard left/right steer as opposed to 'point where you want to go', and finding the game a lot easier to handle, too.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Played through the beta for The Eternal Cylinder. It's the new game from Ace Team, who made the Zeno Clash games that I'm quite fond of. This has the same incredibly imaginative and surreal visual design to it, but it's a very different genre, being a survival game. I generally don't get on with survival games at all, but this one has some interesting ideas to it that make it stand out.

It has a pretty unique structure that gives a very deliberate direction to it. It allows it to have a story, and to dole out specific upgrades at the appropriate time. The idea is that in this strange psychedelic world, there's an enormous cylinder rolling across the entire land, flattening everything in its path. You can stop it temporarily by reaching certain checkpoints, and it stays like that until you move forward out of the safe zone created by the checkpoint, which you will have to do eventually to progress. So it has this loop to it where you alternate between more relaxed moments of exploring and gathering, and then a mad dash to the next safe zone with this huge threat bearing down on you.

You play as these weird little alien things, controlling one of a group that you can swap between at any time. They all get unique upgrades based on certain things they eat, and some of them can change the game quite a lot. Like you can get one mutation that makes you glow in the dark, so you can make your way through a dark maze. Or another that lets you inflate like a balloon and float up in the sky. So there's some puzzle solving potential there, which makes a change from the usual crafting mechanics of the genre.

Still not sure I'm sold on the experience, and this hasn't suddenly made me love survival games, but this game does have something to it. Might be worth checking out for someone in to the genre and wants something new. Or if you just want to see some weird stuff.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Mafia: Definitive Edition, which so far I'd describe as very competent but somewhat unmemorable. It is absolutely gorgeous (the cars! the city! the clothes!) and reasonably acted, but it reminds me a lot of "Ghost of Tsushima"* in that it's clearly made by a team that adores classic mafia movies (who doesn't? Me too! That's why I bought it!), just like Tsushima with Kurosawa movies, and it wears its cinematic influences on its sleeve (I've only played for a few hours but if I took a shot for every Godfather reference so far I'd be in an alcoholic coma)... but while the respect/love for the films that inspired both Mafia and Tsushima is evident and enjoyable, both games seem to lack the deep and engaging stories and characters found in the best mafia or samurai movies. I tried to compare it to something like RDR2, which draws so much from classic Westerns but also offers a compelling, moving story in its own right. And that comparison can make Mafia feel a little empty so far.

All of which isn't to say I'm not enjoying it (or that I wasn't enjoying Tsushima when I was playing it before I took a break): it's like going to a wonderful Godfather costume party. I grew up obsessed with these films and being shown "Goodfellas" by my family one Christmas when I was inappropriately young. Like the idea of the "Kurosawa mode" in "Ghost of Tsushima", I'm happy just to have my nerdy interests indulged. But whether the story of this will grab my heart or if it will be pretty forgettable is another matter. It's very easy to come up short when you're pitting yourself against some of the best films ever made, especially when you've littered your game with so many references to them. And the gameplay is only so-so so far, which doesn't help. (It's not bad, it's just ok).

* before I'm murdered - because I know this is a very beloved game - I'll add a disclaimer that I need to finish Tsushima so my opinion might change, and also that I think it is a much better game than Mafia so far, *especially* when it comes to mechanics and combat, which Tsushima really excelled at even if I was finding the plot quite cliched and vanilla (but that might change later in the game!)
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

My brain and everything attached to it have been fried and have had no energy... so I haven't been playing a bunch of stuff.

Tetris 99 on the Switch for bits and pieces. I've hit 2nd place a few times but haven't had my first win. The refresh between games is so quick, it's hard to put down...

Animal Crossing on the Switch. It's my wife's game and island, so there's little pressure on me! I just piddle around, make a few bells and comeback when I feel like it.

Civilization VI on PC is what I've really been doing... lots of it. I've been trying to go through the civs I haven't won with yet, while keeping it fun, so I'm staying on King difficulty. Plus, I just turned on the day/night cycle and it's a whole new level of pretty. It's been my game to play while watching shows I'm interested in but not committed to, such as Supergirl and the first season of Supernatual. At this point, I must have surpassed my time with Civ IV.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Alex79uk wrote: March 7th, 2021, 5:13 pmBut, the only new thing I've been playing this week is Lonely Mountains Downhill, which turned me off immediately. It was too difficult, didn't like the controls, irritating and frustrating, and massively disappointing considering I've been saving it since Christmas. But... I stuck with it, and it suddenly clicked! I'm really enjoying it now. The thrill of barely being in control, hurtling down a slope towards a sheer drop, skidding round a corner, it's ace! I changed the controls to standard left/right steer as opposed to 'point where you want to go', and finding the game a lot easier to handle, too.
I was a big fan of this, so I’m glad it clicked! I went back to it on my new Xbox last week and once I’d got my head around the opposite controls again it still feels so good! Didn’t know they’d added standard controls, and might be too late for me now, but I’ll definitely give those a go later.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Been incredibly busy with school, so just been sneaking in some Puzzle Bobble and/or Super Bomber Man when I need a break. The worst of my assignments are over for now, so I can get back into FF7 and finish it for the first time.
Gadget8Bit

Post by Gadget8Bit »

I’ve been streaming Dead Space 3 in co-op with one of the podcast lads.

I didn’t like it when I played it years ago solo, but in co-op it’s a hilarious mess.

Honestly, the game is so broken. Enemies get stuck on the environment, assets pop in and out, Carver disappears from cutscenes, Ellie’s boob physics are ludicrous, it’s insanity.

But what I didn’t appreciate on my first run through is just how entertainingly stupid the game is. The set pieces aren’t exciting, they’re idiotic. The amount of times Isaac and Carver are thrown down cliffs with giant pieces of buildings or space ship chasing after them is nuts.

I’m having a lot of fun with it. Just probably not the intended kind of fun.

It’s definitely the Resi 5 of the series
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I've had to stop playing Yakuza LAD to have a break as it's doing my head in. I'm on the penultimate chapter and facing a boss who I am having real trouble with, shortly after a boss I just defeated that was also a really frustrating experience as I went through a cycle of attempting him, losing, grinding to a higher level, try boss again, fail, rinse and repeat. It soured my experience of the game a little and the thought of having to do that again now just really puts me off playing it and I know if I carry on right now it will sour my experience of the game which up to these last couple of chapters has been good.

I appreciate that this is par of the course for JRPGs but this is my first one, so it's a new experience to me. I understand that Yakuza LAD isn't even that bad relative to other JRPGs for grinding so it has kind of put me off trying others in the future, which I was thinking of doing in the games first few chapters. A shame it has had to end this way but a couple of weeks rest to play something else is needed so I can come back fresh and get it finished.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

I have been playing a lot of Apex Legends, it's dangerously more-ish.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Gave up on "Mafia: Definitive Edition" (I feel bad about it because so much love and care was clearly put into it but there is just so much driving and the driving mechanic isn't particularly fun, and it looks beautiful but gameplay felt flat). Maybe I'll pick it up again some day.

I played a bit of "Persona 5" and I loved it but took a break because I can't really face playing two one hundred plus hour games at once (see below on "The Witcher 3") and it also made me feel a bit sad for stupid, unrelated personal reasons, so maybe need to wait until feeling sunnier generally before devoting time to it. It's so stylish though! But man, I wish they would include the Japanese text on versions of the game bought from the UK store - really appreciate that the audio is able to be changed, and I also appreciate that it's understandably not a big demand to provide source language text, but text is such a big part of the game (especially visually) and I would just prefer not to play it with English text. I guess there are probably logistical reasons they can't include it, though. Was grateful and pleasantly surprised that "NieR:Automata" provided a Japanese text option even with a purchase from the UK store, but the rarity of that sort of thing is one of the downsides to the convenience of digitising games/films/books/movies because things become increasingly region-locked and it's harder to access things in their original language (and it's not just games. For example, if you want a digital Shonen Jump subscription and you don't have a Japanese credit card you HAVE to download the English version - which is why I still end up always getting the physical copies from J bookshops here, which is wasteful and more expensive). Sorry that became a very Indulgent Pretentious Non Problems ramble.

Finally slowly getting more into "The Witcher 3". I don't like the combat still, and I don't like the ugly labelling text (although I do laugh at the helpful labels like "cat", "goose", "peasant" etc) but the story is becoming increasingly absorbing and I love all the care put into things like character and creature descriptions in the glossary. I love that my actions feel like they have actual consequences. I followed advice from posters here to treat it more like a novel than a game (I cranked the combat difficulty down and play it for thirty mins to one hour chunks a day or in bed), and to try out the Polish audio with English subtitles, which is fun because it sounds really nice.

Currently trying to decide whether I want to play Geralt as a lecherous Samantha or a chaste Charlotte, seeing as beautiful ladies keep throwing themselves at me. I like Yennefer so I'm leaning towards being a good guy and being faithful. But otherwise, after two playthroughs of playing RDR2 with Arthur as the nicest, most honourable version of himself possible, I'm playing Geralt as a lot meaner and I've gone from turning down coin to demanding it. Because look, all the villagers and Nilfgaardians (sp) are so bloody ungrateful and I didn't even want to kill the stupid griffin, I would have been happy just doing sidequests and finding old women's lost frying pans, but I went out there and slayed it and then all the villagers were so ungrateful and like... no. Bye. :lol:

Sorry for the tl;dr ramble!

(Also have been constantly playing the "NieR:Automata" soundtrack since I finished Ending E. It's gorgeous)
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I've just started Mafia: Definitive Edition as a break from Yakuza Like a Dragon, only a couple of hours in but I'm enjoying it. It's absolutely stunning to look at the level of details in both the interior and exterior environments is incredible. They have nailed the 1930s atmosphere and sense of place. I'm not normally someone that likes going round getting collectibles and reading any in game documents but I have enjoyed reading the newspapers which lie around which reference real world events like the Prohibition, ex-presidents and the Great Depression. I like them as they are just headlines and a couple of sentences detailing the story, whereas in other games there can often be reams of text to scroll through which puts me off reading them as silly as that sounds.

Mechanically as Miri has said before, it's fine. I think the shooting is good but the cars are going to get some getting used to. Really looking forward to playing more.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

FF7Remake via PS Plus.

Thought I'd have a quick nip in and check out some nostalgia, ten hours later i'm hooked and enjoying it. alot.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Played through The Medium on Xbox Series X. As my first proper next-gen game it was a bit underwhelming, but as a supernatural walking (and sometimes running) simulator I enjoyed it quite a lot. Also enjoyed Donut County a lot more than expected - short but very sweet, just like a real donut / doughnut!

Forza Horizon 4 is where I’ve spent most of my time this week. It is just stunning and feels so great to play. Wish I’d known what a convoy was (and then how to join Xbox multiplayer!) when a friend from here asked me to join though, and by the time I’d worked it out he’d gone! Pity the Xbox beginner! Also a good way into Gears 5 on there. Don’t think there’ll be anything particularly memorable for me, but it looks amazing and the it’s pretty fun to play.

Otherwise, Jaws is a really fun (genuinely!) ten minute text adventure on the ZX Spectrum, and if you’re a fan of either definitely look it up if you missed it in 1984 like I did! Played through Shao-Lin’s Road arcade and Spectrum versions for a new retroarcadia.blog post - top five game ever, so always a joy! And I discovered Test Drive 2 on SNES, which I’ve just completely fallen for. Definitive version of a very good old racer that just had something that’s really clicked with me.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Alex79uk wrote: March 7th, 2021, 5:13 pm I'm still deep in to year 2 of Stardew Valley and loving it. It's my little place of tranquility at the moment. Also started Warframe which I'm enjoying so far.

But, the only new thing I've been playing this week is Lonely Mountains Downhill, which turned me off immediately. It was too difficult, didn't like the controls, irritating and frustrating, and massively disappointing considering I've been saving it since Christmas. But... I stuck with it, and it suddenly clicked! I'm really enjoying it now. The thrill of barely being in control, hurtling down a slope towards a sheer drop, skidding round a corner, it's ace! I changed the controls to standard left/right steer as opposed to 'point where you want to go', and finding the game a lot easier to handle, too.
I think LM:DH's central flaw is that it has a reverse difficulty curve - it starts off very frustrating but gets steadily easier and more fun once you start to unlock better/more durable bikes and can start to experiment and explore for shortcuts.

It gets really fun after a while, but I wouldn't really blame someone for not persevering and bouncing off it.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I've been playing Ys IX for over a month now - work's been busy - and now that I'm super close to the end... Man, this is a weird example of, "Great game, but I don't like it."

I wanna write a more detailed review of it for my "Games Completed 2021" post, but this is a really, really good game with great combat, great characters, and some fun exploration... But it's all rendered moot by a really lousy story that really only starts in Chapter 8 (of 9) and doesn't go anywhere interesting from there.

Really unfortunate, considering Ys VIII is like a Top 5 JRPG for me. But yeah, this one's been a big disappointment for me overall.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

After four (!) tries to get into The Witcher 3 something has finally clicked and now I've finally got to the addiction stage of playing this game that I kept seeing people talk about and didn't really understand. Not sure how far in I am (I'm alternating Skellige and Novigrad quests) but it's a wild (get it har har har) ride so far.

What's there really left to say after six years of people discussing it? In brief: Team Yen (I don't care for Triss), got the "good" Bloody Baron ending (...was it... good???), The Crones are great, I accidentally killed one of Geralt's minor love interests (consequences!), and I'm not bothering with Qwent but am pursuing Witcher contracts like mad. And I'm not really playing Geralt with any coherent moral code (except I'm romancing Yen and rejecting other women), I just pick whatever story option sounds more interesting or whatever story option I hope will lead to trouble for characters I don't like (the clever thing about the writing in this game is I often get it wrong and things turn out okay for them).