Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Jon Cheetham

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Jon Cheetham »

After the Doom Eternal pod dropped on the Patreon feed I got a bit of a craving for the 2016 game, which I played 2 hours of a year ago then set aside for various reasons. Last few nights I've been using the hour of pc gaming time I can usually cram in when everyone's asleep to play it and been loving it.

It's all been said but Doom 2016 is just well good. The other night I was in a huge brawl at the bottom of an energy tower with a bunch of those gigantic monsters, some hell knights and an army of imps. I survived with 3 health left. It was amazing.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Just started Sam & Max - Beyond Time and Space for the Wii!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

After listening to the Back Page podcast Best of 3DS episode, I picked up a couple of 3DS games which has been by far my most neglected console in terms of the number of games played on it. I have only played Super Mario 3D Land, a bit of Pokemon Sun, Star Fox and that's about it. So I have a lot of catching up to do.
I began by picking up Ghost Recon Shadow Wars and Codename STEAM for a total of £5 which I am pretty pleased with, especially because I have been loving Ghost Recon Shadow Wars. Ever since playing Mario & Rabbids I have been a sucker for turn based strategy games and have been looking for anything with that style of gameplay. So far I have played through Steamworld Heist and Gears Tactics, loving both and now I am loving Ghost Recon too.
I'm not really paying any attention to the story but I'm finding it a joy to play and it even does some things I haven't seen in a game like this before. Early on there was a mission structure which is not one I have come across before whereby I had to take my units up towards a sniper who was on my side but not one of my controllable units in order to rescue them. The sniper would be taking down enemies to help at the beginning of my turn. Once rescued they then became part of my team to control for that one mission. Maybe this has been done elsewhere in the genre but it was my first experience of it. Can't wait to play more.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I just got to the first ending of Drakengard. Before when I've got to this stage with a Yoko Taro game I post each ending up on the Games Completed thread, but I don't think I'll do that here until I'm fully done with the game. Most of the reason I did it before is because at the time I wasn't even sure how many endings there would be, but no mystery here. It's starting to get interesting, and I do appreciate some of the stuff it's going for. But at the same time I feel like this is a game I prefer thinking about compared to actually playing it. Gameplay is still a dull slog that's lacking in many areas. One thing that stands out to me now is how few of the weapons are not completely awful. Every weapon type except the sword swings so painfully and inadequately slowly, and often with a pitiful range, that they're practically unusable. Each weapon also has a unique spell associated with it, and one sword happens to have the ability to turn yourself invincible and unstaggerable for a time. And when the only real problem in combat is being stun-locked by a bunch of enemies, it makes that weapon by far the best to use.

Initially I was going to try to collect all the weapons to unlock the final ending, but I gave up after a while. Even using a guide and knowing where they were, simply trying to get them all in a single chapter was a horrible time, so after that I took Simonsloth's advice and gave up. I'll just watch that last bit on Youtube or something. Although I kind of know what it is already.

The story is starting to show signs of being interesting though. With the whole world descending in to chaos with some kind of abominable apocalypse. The leader of the opposing empire being a child possessed by some strange unknown force, who seems to only half understand what they're even doing. And the good guys virtually losing everything in the process of stopping them. I'm still not sold on the idea of Caim being interesting in the slightest, but at least now I want to see where it goes with these other threads. I have seen videos reviewing this game before and going over the plot, so I do have some conceptions about the sorts of things that are coming, but it was so long ago I can't remember the details. Definitely want to see it for myself.

I get the impression that perhaps the reason it took until the first ending for it to start getting interesting might be a sign of Yoko Taro's "backwards scriptwriting" technique not yet being refined. There's a cool ending that brings up some intriguing situations, but he has not yet worked out how to make the buildup engaging.

Another thing I'm starting to appreciate is the aesthetic of the game, in a weird way. It's an ugly, drab game, with technical limitations that makes the presentation feel alienating and unreal. But for this world, and the tone it's going for, in a way that's kind of perfect. Whatever this world is, it's a strange, barren, harsh place. One where there are few people left who are not turned to husks through endless war, be that through supernatural influence or otherwise. The music is like this too. On one hand, it's repetitive and grating. Unmelodic and unappealing. But it has this quality to it that fits. It's full of tense, stabbing strings, and is partially warped and fragmented through synth techniques. It feels broken and unnerving, like the world itself. It almost has a horror vibe.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Scrustle wrote: March 27th, 2021, 5:15 pm I just got to the first ending of Drakengard. Before when I've got to this stage with a Yoko Taro game I post each ending up on the Games Completed thread, but I don't think I'll do that here until I'm fully done with the game. Most of the reason I did it before is because at the time I wasn't even sure how many endings there would be, but no mystery here. It's starting to get interesting, and I do appreciate some of the stuff it's going for. But at the same time I feel like this is a game I prefer thinking about compared to actually playing it. Gameplay is still a dull slog that's lacking in many areas. One thing that stands out to me now is how few of the weapons are not completely awful. Every weapon type except the sword swings so painfully and inadequately slowly, and often with a pitiful range, that they're practically unusable. Each weapon also has a unique spell associated with it, and one sword happens to have the ability to turn yourself invincible and unstaggerable for a time. And when the only real problem in combat is being stun-locked by a bunch of enemies, it makes that weapon by far the best to use.

Initially I was going to try to collect all the weapons to unlock the final ending, but I gave up after a while. Even using a guide and knowing where they were, simply trying to get them all in a single chapter was a horrible time, so after that I took Simonsloth's advice and gave up. I'll just watch that last bit on Youtube or something. Although I kind of know what it is already.

The story is starting to show signs of being interesting though. With the whole world descending in to chaos with some kind of abominable apocalypse. The leader of the opposing empire being a child possessed by some strange unknown force, who seems to only half understand what they're even doing. And the good guys virtually losing everything in the process of stopping them. I'm still not sold on the idea of Caim being interesting in the slightest, but at least now I want to see where it goes with these other threads. I have seen videos reviewing this game before and going over the plot, so I do have some conceptions about the sorts of things that are coming, but it was so long ago I can't remember the details. Definitely want to see it for myself.

I get the impression that perhaps the reason it took until the first ending for it to start getting interesting might be a sign of Yoko Taro's "backwards scriptwriting" technique not yet being refined. There's a cool ending that brings up some intriguing situations, but he has not yet worked out how to make the buildup engaging.

Another thing I'm starting to appreciate is the aesthetic of the game, in a weird way. It's an ugly, drab game, with technical limitations that makes the presentation feel alienating and unreal. But for this world, and the tone it's going for, in a way that's kind of perfect. Whatever this world is, it's a strange, barren, harsh place. One where there are few people left who are not turned to husks through endless war, be that through supernatural influence or otherwise. The music is like this too. On one hand, it's repetitive and grating. Unmelodic and unappealing. But it has this quality to it that fits. It's full of tense, stabbing strings, and is partially warped and fragmented through synth techniques. It feels broken and unnerving, like the world itself. It almost has a horror vibe.
Glad you’re sticking with it. It’s definitely a game which is better to think about than actually play. That’s a bizarre statement in itself.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Spent most of the week having the best time with what I think was originally the SNES remaster of Dragon Quest on Switch. I was in the mood for that kind of grind but without too much JRPG faff, and playing through this old classic was just the job!

Also finished the career mode on Wreckfest, which I started on PS4 then restarted a couple of weeks ago when it came to Game Pass with some Series X enhancements. Incredible looking game and great, chaotic fun, albeit a little repetitive by the time you’re doing the highest ranked stuff.

Otherwise, I played through the very generous Outriders demo on Xbox and I’m sold, and the first couple of chapters of the very stylish kind-of-point-and-click Genesis Noir which just appeared on Game Pass, and I reckon it might be a bit special!
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Still chugging away at "The Witcher 3" but feeling a bit burned out, which means I play it less, which means it's taking longer. Have been feeling teeth grindy and anxious this week which doesn't help me resist the siren call of a comforting nine billionth re-play of "Uncharted 4" when I have a backlog as long as my leg.

My Witcher-mad friend told me to play first DLC before completing the main mission and the second DLC after, but I thiiiink I'm going to just complete the main mission and treat the two DLCs as independent games because otherwise it's a bit much all at once (I'm rubbish at having more than one game on the go, and also at games that take many many hours - with my beloved RDR2 being the exception to the rule - so I think this is a good compromise).

Also everyone is rude to Yen all the time. I have decided the only characters I love are Yen, Ciri, and Lambert and moooostly Geralt, and everyone else can bog off. (Lambert is also rude to Yen, yes, but he's rude to everyone - and if I'd been sold ad a child to a weird magical cult that, if it doesn't kill you during your childhood, makes you infertile... I'd be rude to everyone too).
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I started MediEvil on PS4 last night, and it scratches an itch I didn't know I had. Who knew I was pining for a cartoony horror-themed thing with 90s charm out the arse? Gameplay isn't anything special so far, but I'm certainly the sort who can be wowed by style over substance.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I think I have two weeks left of Gamepass, so I started Sunset Overdrive last night. Didn't get too far last night, but grinding, bouncing and swinging around was a lot of fun. Lots of 90s attitude that I'm in the mood for.

I have Jet Set Radio on Steam, but I've never played it. Might check it out sooner than later now.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

JSR feels rather stiff to play these days, as cool as it is.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Disco Elysium! Finally (no gaming PC so was waiting for a console port)! I have no idea what the hell is happening or what I'm supposed to be doing! It's great! I am also extremely drowsy with seasonal allergies! But if anything that may be the best way to play this! I'm laughing a lot! Exclamation marks!

(As well as the dialogue being very funny, the art design is amazing)
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Really looking forward to playing Disco but waiting for a Switch port as that way I'll be able to actually get through it.

Still playing Doom 2016, although only about 45 minutes at a time as I find it quite exhausting. It's amazing, and really fun, but pretty intense. I'm happy playing it in short bursts of demon-splattering and djent riffs. I've got into a habit of playing 10 minutes of Pyre after to calm down.

Also started Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. It's very cute and funny, the music is tops and I love the trials where you have to catch people out in their testimony.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

I was considering waiting for a Switch port as it's so text-heavy so I thought portable might be better, but I was so impatient that my compromise was pulling a chair right up close to the TV to play it instead.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

The voice acting I have heard in video reviews I watched sounded really good, seeing as the PC upgrade is free I think I replay it in the future, despite my problems with the game
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

So far the voices are all really fantastic. I really like whoever they got to play Kim Katsuragi especially (although that may be partly to do with the universal appeal of a lovely French accent).
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

We've moved onto Little Acre

I was a little surprised to find that it's basically a point and click (and that my eldest not only knew the style but sighed when she realised :lol: )

Early days yet - it's not calling to me hugely but the world is intriguing, for now at least ...
shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

I've really enjoyed the brief time I've spent so far with ScourgeBringer.

after giving up on Dead Cells awhile back for its frankly disrespectful difficulty on higher levels, this is really scratching that same itch. the combat is really zippy and sharp, the animation is cool, and the way the music kicks up while you're dashing and slashing all over the screen is really satisfying.

it doesn't do a great job of explaining its systems, but I'll get the hang of it eventually. it's one of those "perfect for Switch" games—pick it up, start a run, get killed, come back later. heavy Hyper Light Drifter influence in the visuals, as well.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm 20 hours in to the first Ni No Kuni on Switch and enjoying it. I wasn't aware of anything to do with the familiar raising system before playing, and it took a little while to warm to, but digging it now. Plus, the graphics. Wows.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

Getting stuck into that Genesis Noir on Gamepass. Loving it so far. It's a cosmological crime thriller. A surreal concept, can't wait to see where it's going with all this...
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Game Pass has really delivered with new stuff over the past couple of weeks! Finished Genesis Noir, which has pointing, clicking and jazz, but despite all of that I still found this unique adventure absolutely wonderful!

Next, I’m deep into Narita Boy, a very stylish and very modern metroidvania homage to the eighties with a really good feel to movement and fluid, intuitive combat.

And finally on there, Outriders has completely sucked me its repetitive, progressive shooter-looter loop, something that hasn’t happened since original Destiny. Story seems alright, it plays great and it looks stunning too. And apart from some server difficulties on the first day, the smart co-op matchmaking has worked really well when I’ve fancied that as well.