Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ColinAlonso

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by ColinAlonso »

I'm playing a couple of games at the moment.

The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS). Despite finishing 6 Zeldas before, I never did finish this one. Played a friend's copy about 7 years ago on the N64 and made it about as far as where I am now, the Shadow Temple. The graphical update has been a big plus as the early 3D areas particularly in the darker dungeons put me off on the N64.
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All (3DS). (The second Ace Attorney) Having to use a bit more trial and error to advance the plot than in the first game sadly. Still liking the dialogue and the characters.
And some Rocket League (PC) on the side as usual.

I also picked up OutRun this week.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

ColinAlonso wrote:Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All (3DS). (The second Ace Attorney) Having to use a bit more trial and error to advance the plot than in the first game sadly. Still liking the dialogue and the characters.
Stick with it, it's probably the weakest entry in the series but it's essential character development for the third game which is outstanding.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I adored the first but couldn't make it through the second Phoenix Wright. I keep meaning to go back because I love the characters. I'm saving it for a plane journey some day.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Flabyo wrote:Stick with it, it's probably the weakest entry in the series but it's essential character development for the third game which is outstanding.
To add to that, and while I agree that JFA as a whole pales in comparison to the rest of the main series, that game's final case is one of the very best. Top 3 AA cases material? I'd say so.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

When I loaded up PS+ freebie Badlands the other night, I was sure it would go the same way that Dead or Alive Last Round, Hawken and Lords of the Fallen had gone this week - deleted within an hour! Especially as I'd not really been impressed with it on mobile a while ago. Then I found myself half way through. Some of the levels are stunning when your little dude is multiplied into dozens of little dudes flying at speed and getting picked off all over the place, feeling like Sonic meets Super Meat Boy. Then two thirds through things take a turn for the worse. The puzzles get frustrating, the "platforming" gets crazy intense but controls like Flappy Bird, and previously frequent checkpoints are removed, all of which is understandable, but the constant deaths for no reason is unforgivable. I died over and over with no apparent cause - happily flying along, no danger, then dead, restart. Next time no problem, unless it happens somewhere else. Which it does. And on the non-checkpoint levels, all previous enjoyment is forgotten. I did get to the credits, but there's a load more content that I will not touch with a barge pole now!
Craig

Post by Craig »

Any general hints to not be terrible at Outrun? I can get to the third checkpoint, but it seems like if I just make one or two mistakes in done for.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Drive fast. Avoid other cars. :D
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Craig wrote:Any general hints to not be terrible at Outrun? I can get to the third checkpoint, but it seems like if I just make one or two mistakes in done for.
I'm definitely not good at OutRun, but I found that dropping to low gear around some of the tighter turns helped. You're right that one (maybe two) crashes will end your run. It's better to lose speed (but not crash) than it is to floor it the whole time and flip your car by mistake.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Plus, if you're not too proud, you can go into the settings and up your time and reduce the amount of traffic on the road.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

I'm not sure if they exist anymore but I know a fair number of Capcom ds and 3ds games had kind of impressive website demo versions, might be able to get them from some archive if you look hard enough.

Here you go, try this one for ghost trick. It's pretty good for a website sample demo:
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... 70880.html

Sadly could only find the japanese demo for one of the phoenix wright games:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/gyakutensaiban/ ... index.html

Others:
English AA:Investigations
http://www.ace-attorney.com/aaime/
English Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
http://www.ace-attorney.com/aj/
Japanese Turnabout Trial 6
http://www.capcom.co.jp/gyakutensaiban/6/trial_play/
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So I was gonna try playing the Dungeons&Dragons Beat&ups I got on steam but for some reason my controller wasnt working and I couldnt fix it no matter what so instead I decided to try something in a similar setting and booted up Arcanum:Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura. It's the first RPG of Troika games a company formed by former Black isle and interplay employees it's a classic RPG setting the only difference being that the fantasy world is going through an industrial revolution,it's a pretty cool setting and the whole aesthetic is very victorian. Gameplaywise though it's a bit weird,It's a game that came out just after the Diablo craze so there's a definite influence there but at the same time it's still a classic CRPG with it's use of stats and everything,I will say that it's not a beginner friendly game at all first off the UI is crap,I think you could easily screw yourself by making a sub par character and combat is let's say tricky for example I just died to a pack of sewer rats because I couldnt hit them for shit,kinda brings me back to the first time I played Fallout 1 though so I guess the game it's doing it's job XD.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Craig wrote:Any general hints to not be terrible at Outrun? I can get to the third checkpoint, but it seems like if I just make one or two mistakes in done for.
Ha, ha, yeah, tell me about it :lol: .

Also, I tried to be cunning and start PES 2017 early.

So I pre-ordered it from the Xbox store and for some reason it has an old fashioned release date. It's today in the Americas and Thursday in Europe and the rest of the world.

It's already downloaded and installed on my system, so I thought I'd change region and see if it boots up !!!

It doesn't :| .
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

KSubzero1000 wrote:To add to that, and while I agree that JFA as a whole pales in comparison to the rest of the main series, that game's final case is one of the very best. Top 3 AA cases material? I'd say so.
Finished the finalcase this evening and yes that was the best case in the game. I'll leave a gap before Trials and Tribulations though as I've completed the first two in the last month.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Revisited the Dishonored DLC briefly, because Dishonored 2 looks promising and I've been feeling like I was maybe unfair towards the original, back when we covered it on Cane and Rinse. This game play video really convinced me to give the game a second chance:

So I went into the DLC thinking "be opportunistic, stop sticking to a strict play style." And guess what, I had a lot of fun. I'm no where near as skilled as this guy/girl above, but abandoning the need to go non-lethal and unseen, meant I experimented with the mechanics more and discovered how versatile this game really is.

I plan to finish the DLC before Dishonored 2 drops. Don't think I'll reply the main game, but who knows!
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Todinho wrote: I decided to try something in a similar setting and booted up Arcanum:Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura..
I really liked this game when it first came out the setting was brillant. I would recomend looking up the crafting side of things as it's never realy explained what's needed to make things from what I remember. I tip my Magnetic top hat to you sir!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Yeah I was gonna say the whole crafting thing isnt very well explained,I suppose it has something to do with the bunch materials I've been collecting but other then that...I also I have to say I appreciate then going for the victorian style even in the menus but that UI is a bit of a mess XD
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Still playing Arcanum and I think Im in love with it,especially the writing at first I thought it was bit weird but it`s actually brilliant in how comitted it is,everyone speaks in that pompous way of "I do declare good sir!" and it's both fitting and hilarious also Im loving the soundtrack and Im finnaly getting to grips with all the mechanics and yeah it's pretty complex game,way more so the classic fallout for example,I decided to got with a melee-tech build with some persuasion dont know how it's gonna turn out but it has been fun.

Also thanks to the recent talks in the forum Im replaying Dragons Crown and that game is just as gorgeous and fun to play as it was before I decided to go elf and Im kinda regreting it because of how squish she is and how unreliable how arrows can be at times,still great thou looking foward to get further into it but I'll probably not 100% the whole thing again XD.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

So, I've been meaning to get into Spelunky after listening to the podcast and because of the general praise surrounding it. But I'm not really feeling it so far? The controls and the combat are good, but I feel like the procedural generation is more trouble than it's worth. The levels often seem to feature complete dead ends, made even worse by the randomized bombs and ropes. I don't quite understand the long-term replay value if the game is able to screw you over at any moment. ...What am I missing here?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I've been playing this almost daily for several years now.

I've still yet to complete the game, but there is always a path forward and the procedural generation never fully screws you over.

Be sparing with your ropes and bombs however - use them wisely - and collect as much loot and open as many crates as (safely) possible.

It might of course simply just be that Spelunky isn't for you, but I would give it a little longer for it to reveal its genius. Perhaps watch some decent runs on YouTube as well.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I've been checking a few boxes in my expansive Wii U collection in preparation for the next console.

I tried Champion's Road in Super Mario 3D World and wanted to punch my face off. I then moved onto Pikmin 3 and cleared a lot of the challenges within. I don't normally associate that series with fast paced action within a time limit but as a reminder of just how good Pikmin is, it's great.

I'll pop back into Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze but will probably end up in a similar situation as Mario 3D World and ask for Yoshi and/or Kirby to hold me in their loving embrace.

The Wii U has some incredible Nintendo output. I hope it's backwards compatible with the NX somehow to help the games reach a potential wider (and deserved) audience.