Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Michiel K wrote: December 23rd, 2017, 11:21 pm
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: December 23rd, 2017, 2:07 am Progear No Arashi - CPS-2 (fullkit with original artwork and beautiful B1 sized poster)
Nice. How much did you put down for it, if I may ask?
To be precise:
Spoiler: show
¥99,900
And that's not even the most I've paid for a board!

Helps to be single and have no children to raise. :D

Amendment: I bought it through The Emporium. They have an eBay store too, but prices are much cheaper here. I've bought a few things through them, and everything arrived packed with great care, and worked. I kinda wish I was getting paid to promote them - could really use the money to pay my credit card!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I'm playing Batman: Arkham Origins. Thought I was going to be done with with the series after City, but recent discounts and a general affection for the Bat brought me in. So far, it's not as good as Asylum, but it's a nice jaunt back into the character and world. I might even gamble with the PC version of Knight afterwards!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Origins is the best of all the Arkham games! In my opinion.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: December 27th, 2017, 8:56 pm Origins is the best of all the Arkham games! In my opinion.
I'm really liking it! It's nice to get excited for boss fights in an Arkham game!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

duskvstweak wrote: December 27th, 2017, 7:30 pm I'm playing Batman: Arkham Origins. Thought I was going to be done with with the series after City, but recent discounts and a general affection for the Bat brought me in. So far, it's not as good as Asylum, but it's a nice jaunt back into the character and world. I might even gamble with the PC version of Knight afterwards!
I actually prefer Origins to CIty, though I suspect I'm in the minority.

I got Pillars of Eternity for Christmas, and it's glorious. Haven't played a game like this for year. I also got Torment - Tides of Numenera and I had a hard time choosing between them, but I went for old school fantasy.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I like pretty much all the Arkham games fairly equally (with maybe the most recent slightly in last place because its starting to feel a little tired now) but with Origins in particular I like that they don't forget that Batman is meant to be a detective as much as he is a face-puncher.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

ThirdDrawing wrote: December 28th, 2017, 8:49 am
duskvstweak wrote: December 27th, 2017, 7:30 pm I'm playing Batman: Arkham Origins. Thought I was going to be done with with the series after City, but recent discounts and a general affection for the Bat brought me in. So far, it's not as good as Asylum, but it's a nice jaunt back into the character and world. I might even gamble with the PC version of Knight afterwards!

I got Pillars of Eternity for Christmas, and it's glorious. Haven't played a game like this for year. I also got Torment - Tides of Numenera and I had a hard time choosing between them, but I went for old school fantasy.
Im with you. City looked phenomenal, was full of lovely fan service and had great cut scene polish but I found it overwhelming, unevenly paced and a bit of a mess as an actual game. People moan about Gotham feeling empty in Origins, but I prefer that to wall to wall repetitive tasks in City. Origins did most of what I like most about Batman really well; detective elements, good bosses, origin storyline, moody tone.

I prefer the Metroidvania structure of Asylum to the open world of Origins and City, but Origins was a far more enjoyable game.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Switch:

Splatoon 2 - After the daily ego dump which is PUBG, I've really enjoyed getting back into Splatoon with all the Christmas noobs. It's not a game I've ever massively taken to and the undoubted highlight was the C&R night early on, which kind of killed playing with randoms afterwards. Anyway, playing against pissed nans and kids and the like has really been a lot of fun and it's reminded me how much fun this game can be when you're not constantly being wiped out by folks who know all the maps and all the tricks. I don't have the commitment or interest to get any good at it so Turf War against noobs is the ideal for me.

The End Is Nigh - A decent platformer but so oddly similar to Meat Boy, it's virtually a reskin. The wall hanging mechanic is the main new thing going for it and I find it quite limiting, to be honest. There's a prescribed route and prescribed timing you need to hit, and it therefore lacks some of the fluidity of Meat Boy. I much prefer wall jumping to this bitty wall hanging thing. The levels feel too 'blocky', like the original Tomb Raider, you know what I mean?

ARMS - Not as many Christmas noobs here but I suppose that's because I've been largely playing Ranked. Still really enjoying my girl Lola Pop and settled on some heavy arms with her which I've been causing a little trouble with. I still think Ninjara as a character is bullshit, though, and that the smaller faster characters are much better. I'm a really bad loser, by the way.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

REALLY slow day at work today, the only day I'm working between Christmas and new year, and we have as many children as staff in today! As such, I've been playing Papers Please on the Vita. It's still a brilliant game. They've done a good job of cramming it on the smaller screen, and whilst I wouldn't say it was quite as user friendly as playing it on a bigger device (I previously played it on iPad), it's certainly a good compromise and works well.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

seansthomas wrote: December 28th, 2017, 10:22 am
ThirdDrawing wrote: December 28th, 2017, 8:49 am

Im with you. City looked phenomenal, was full of lovely fan service and had great cut scene polish but I found it overwhelming, unevenly paced and a bit of a mess as an actual game. People moan about Gotham feeling empty in Origins, but I prefer that to wall to wall repetitive tasks in City. Origins did most of what I like most about Batman really well; detective elements, good bosses, origin storyline, moody tone.

I prefer the Metroidvania structure of Asylum to the open world of Origins and City, but Origins was a far more enjoyable game.
I don't mind that Origins is "emptier" than City. It helps the lonely feeling one would have spending Christmas Eve being Batman.
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

Picked up Hidden Agenda for $10. I’m a huge fan Supermassive’s Until Dawn. This continues the trend for me. I’ve only played it with my wife, but it certainly would be fun with a larger group.
nickturner13

Post by nickturner13 »

ThirdDrawing wrote: December 28th, 2017, 8:49 am I got Pillars of Eternity for Christmas, and it's glorious. Haven't played a game like this for year. I also got Torment - Tides of Numenera and I had a hard time choosing between them, but I went for old school fantasy.
Oh man, I got Pillars of Eternity on a Humble Bundle a few months back, finally booted it up today... it is indeed glorious.

I just don't know if I can find the time to put into the game that it clearly needs, but the first couple of hours or so have been brilliant so far!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

duskvstweak wrote: December 28th, 2017, 3:52 pm
I don't mind that Origins is "emptier" than City. It helps the lonely feeling one would have spending Christmas Eve being Batman.
That's a really good point actually. I had it chalked up to the game being in Winter and at night. Hadn't really thought of the Christmas Eve point. Well done!
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'm deeply in love with Xenobalde Chronicles 2 on the Switch at the moment.

For a game that I wrote off due to its alternate aesthetic and previous (personally unapproachable) entires, it's got me.

I'm into the world, the music (to a degree), the combat and more importantly the story.

I also have to freely admit that I was waaaay to hasty to jump down the throat of the people that said "Yes !" to the regional British accents. They sound brilliant and give a sort of familiar theme to a big adventure. Being Welsh myself, I'm totally thrilled every time I hear Nia pipe up with something. Even the little colloquialisms are timely and correct, delivered at a pace that makes it seem honest.

All that said, I'm currently on Chapter 4 and about 40 hours in and fully understand that these games are 100 hour games, I cannot say that I'll put that amount of time in although it soon racks up.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Also been loving XC2 and like you, I grew fond of the regional accents and mad acting. I am still only in chapter 3 and got stuck a couple of times due to the map, and I'm starting to understand why some folk were moaning about it! I'll just look up a guide to figure out where to go next because it's dulled my motivation slightly.

I've been playing the heck out of the ARMS Party Crash. They've added some really fun new modes to the rotation, such as first hit wins and giant arms, which do enormous damage. Nothing revolutionary but just add even more variety and fun to what is already a superb event, and probably the best way to appreciate what the game offers.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Diablo 3 has a whole set of about a dozen difficulties above Hard that you unlock once you beat the story. The post story content is probably about twice as long as the actual game was (something Path of Exile borrows from it too)
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Currently obsessed with Pokemon Ultra Sun, Stardew Valley and Everybody’s Golf, which my ten year old, who has no interest in video games, has also been playing to death with me. All three are joyous time sinks, for different reasons, where minutes turn into hours before you know it.

Just finished Bound, which I’d dismissed after five minutes of the demo when it first came out, but decided to try again when it came free with PS+. It’s a stunning looking game and an easy play, though I could have done without the dreadful pregnant lady semi-cut scene back story that kept interrupting it, despite it probably being the point of the game!

Also recently finished Resident Evil Biohazard, which I’ve been playing on and off for months! I think I’d have enjoyed it even more without the Biohazard bit - I loved the first few anxious hours in the Texas Chainsaw house, but once the ooze appeared it became a bit less interesting, to the point that it could have done with being a couple of hours shorter. Great return to horror form though.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Moved some bits around and began testing once I'd settled on things.

Put this on to test it quickly - been playing it about an hour now :lol: .

deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

I went to my parents house and dug up my Virtual Boy. Spent most of the day playing Mario Tennis.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

ThirdMan wrote: January 1st, 2018, 1:48 pmI was treating the campaign as the traditional single player RPG and the adventure mode as the optional multiplayer aspect that I would normally have little interest in. The reality is that everything feeds into adventure mode. That seems to be the true Diablo experience.
Yeah, that sums it up pretty well.

It wasn't like that at launch of course, its just that the game has evolved a lot to mainly cater for those players still putting in the hours this many years after it launched.

Myself, I've gone back to Mafia 3 again. I think I'm about halfway now. When it's good, its very good. I still love the framing device where it cuts to interviews with characters years after the events of the game, clips from a congressional hearing about what happened etc... and the main story missions continue to be really fun. But its rammed full of open world 'padding', repetitive missions that ask you to repeat the same basic objectives only in a different part of the map.