Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
AndyKurosaki

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah I've got Resistance down as a rental, though the reviews have been less than favourable. I'd like to say COD on vita will be better, but with so little known about it I bet it'll be a bit bollocks.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Finding Binary Domain tedious, going to leave it for a bit.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Ghost World wrote:I find this funny because Wheatley Is one of the reasons why I love Portal 2, I can count on one hand how many games have made me laugh more than a couple of times and Wheatley would be right at the top of that list!
I think it depends on how much you like Merchant, as it is Merchant being very Merchant. If only he hadn't done those infuriating bank adverts before that game came out. I found the writing smart enough to just about stop me resenting him though.

I played a whole lot of Test Drive 2 yesterday. Quite a weird game at points, the first person mode in garages and things is really odd. But, the driving physics are good and it was quite relaxing just cruising around. I can see it being a go to zone out game for a while. It is the first game I've played where even though you are kind of in single player, there are loads of other people in your game that you can actually challenge to races and things.
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

AndyKurosaki wrote:Yeah I've got Resistance down as a rental, though the reviews have been less than favourable. I'd like to say COD on vita will be better, but with so little known about it I bet it'll be a bit bollocks.
Well as Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified is being developed by Nihilistic who are also responsible for the aforementioned Resistance: Burning Skies I'm not holding my breath, Also four player versus over Wi-Fi isn't going to keep any of the MP fans happy!
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah, that's quite concerning. I read an article in a magazine recently where they asked some big COD team member what they thought of the Vita version, and they said "I've never even seen it, you know as much as I do". Usually this close to release, a dev is proudly showing off what you've got to look forward to. The fact that this isn't rings very loud alarm bells indeed.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah I think the fact I'm not a Merchant fan did put me off before, he was a slight irritation until
Spoiler: show
he's put in charge
then it escalated. Also there was one test where I must've died at least 20 times before figuring it out do hearing all the dialog again and again....

Is the co-op good?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Portal 2 co-op is good if you're playing with the right person. Well worth playing as it does feature some outstanding puzzles.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote:Portal 2 co-op is good if you're playing with the right person. Well worth playing as it does feature some outstanding puzzles.
Sounds like my L4D2 experience, always got put with idiots so never got a decent game only finished the first level once.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Play with nice people from this forum, not randoms. I guarantee you'll have a good time on both games.
catbhoy

Post by catbhoy »

Played a lot of Rock Band Blitz over the weekend, cracking wee game, very addictive. Its also has the additional bonus of importing the RB songs in and the RBB songs out, great value.
W1DGET

Post by W1DGET »

I went back to Lollipop Chainsaw over the last few days having only put an hour into originally. That is one crazy game! Despite the storyline (if you can call it that) being completely ludicrous and having that perverted Japanese style I found the gameplay quite enjoyable and the combo combat system quite rewarding.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

ratsoalbion wrote:Play with nice people from this forum, not randoms. I guarantee you'll have a good time on both games.
Portal 2 in co-op is great. I played through it all with the same person over a few sittings, and you kind of learn how the other person is thinking. It was also interesting how difficult some things were to verbalise, and you would just fire a few portals to explain a really complex solution.

On Steam they've also started allowing user made co-op levels, so I'm hoping to try a few of those soon too.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Finished Sleeping Dogs, and I really enjoyed it. It doesn't have any original ideas of its own, but the execution is pretty stellar on all fronts. If I had one complaint, it's that while the story is well told and the dialogue is well written and performed, I didn't really get emotionally invested. The problem was, the characters I REALLY liked were usually only there for a specific mission , and then didn't show up again. But the characters I was stuck with for the whole journey, I didn't really care that much about.
Spoiler: show
Why pay Emma Stone to come onto a project, if she is barely even going to be in your game!?!
So all in all, it was a really enjoyable game to play, but as a story it lacked that emotional punch that Red Dead Redemption had.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

A few weeks ago i made a conscious decision to play some of my games collection. I have always been an avid gamer but this last couple of years the online fps genre has got its claws into me. As many CandR regulars know my particular drug of choice nowadays is the consistently amazing Battlefield 3.
It has always been easier to just pop in the shooter my mates are playing & ignore my physical & digital shelf of unfinished or unplayed games. All in all i counted 162 games(i know, i know, but i like collecting) in my collection that fitted that description. So in order to solve this problem i basically used a lottery system to pick the game to play. My rule is to give the game at least 6 hours of play & if it hadnt grabbed me by then at least i gave it a try.
First up was Civ Rev on PS3, have to say i enjoyed my time with it & if it was left to me it probably would never have been played. Next up was FEAR 3 which i found to be a competant shooter with some neat little touches. Then came MGS 3 from the HD collection. This i had years ago on PS2 & i thoroughly enjoyed revisted the Metal Gear universe to gather some trophies. Out of the hat came Skate 2 next & while not really getting on with it i gave it the hours that my mini regime stipulated.
So all in all my crazy lotto setup is working in between bouts of BF3 with the guys. As fate would have it, although i wont get it done in time, MGS4 Guns of the Patriots was pulled out of the hat on Saturday night, happy coincedence with the poddy coming up this week. Ive had it for years, but only ever played the first few hours, so im glad it came up. The time seems right.
catbhoy

Post by catbhoy »

DomsBeard wrote:Finding Binary Domain tedious, going to leave it for a bit.
same here, the main character saying "aight" instead of alright every two second was driving me slowly insane had to stop.
catbhoy

Post by catbhoy »

Combine Hunter wrote:Finished Sleeping Dogs, it was a really enjoyable game to play, but as a story it lacked that emotional punch that Red Dead Redemption had.
kind of agree with your review I liked the game mechanics very much but feel the main character a tad confused one minute a gangsta in streets of HK next minute solving crimes.

It's all ways going to be tough comparing anything to RDR and possibly unfair, I do hope the next GTA lift all the good points from RDR
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I've got Rage and Modern Warfare 2 coming from Lovefilm today, what should I play first?. Going to put Sleeping Dogs to the top of my pile now I've only heard good things about it.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Cleared up all the stuff I hadn't gotten in Dust: An Elysian Tale. Then realised that the final achievement requires starting a new game and making a slightly different totally inconsequential choice in a sidequest. I could forgive it if the entire game were built around moral choices, but that is just utterly terrible.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

DomsBeard wrote:I've got Rage and Modern Warfare 2 coming from Lovefilm today, what should I play first?. Going to put Sleeping Dogs to the top of my pile now I've only heard good things about it.
I've completed and gotten all achievements in both, and they do both have their plus points and some negatives.

I thoroughly enjoyed the all out action pacing to Modern Warfare 2, it doesn't tell a story anywhere near as skilfully or perhaps, originally, as Modern Warfare did, but it makes up for it with a pace that never really dips below frantic. It's also incredibly short, I did a Veteran run first then, once completed, started on a lesser difficulty to finish up the achievements and managed it again in the same night. You know exactly what you're going to get game play wise from it too if you have played any of the others.

Rage is a more interesting one as it was so anticipated and of course developed by id. It got a lot more grief than it ever deserved (although largely from PC gamers and perhaps rightly so) and they completely bollocked the Miltiplayer up (this is id after all), going for a Twisted Metal style vehicular combat model was misjudged and poor.

The SP however is actually very good. There's some very good things about Rage, notably that it looks stunning and the enemy animation is still perhaps the best in class. There is one pointer I will make though - play the game in Nightmare difficulty. It's not hard or unfair, it just makes you approach it differently and forces you to use the correct weapons, as it should be. I promise you, it isn't difficult and it makes all the difference to how the enemy AI behaves. If you're one for achievements then it will take a little longer than Modern Warfare 2 due to side quests and such (there's a variety to Rage's achievements) but the main quest is not long.

Both are worth playing even if Rage has the worst game ending since Borderlands.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Detest achievements so I'll fire through MW2 and then try your recommendation in Rage. Cheers