Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
duskvstweak

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by duskvstweak »

stvnorman wrote: February 21st, 2020, 5:15 pm Finished Castlevania: Circle of the Moon on Game Boy Advance, which only took me almost 20 years!
Did you play this on original hardware? It was the first game I bought with my GBA back on release and I loved it, but I was always huddled under a lamp because of the lighting. I didn't mind how dark it was then, but I know it was an issue. I never went back and played it with my SP, so maybe I missed out on how pretty it could really be. But, yeah, it was a great game and Harmony of Dissonance was aces. I wish they would re-release those portable Castlevania!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

duskvstweak wrote: February 21st, 2020, 6:38 pm
stvnorman wrote: February 21st, 2020, 5:15 pm Finished Castlevania: Circle of the Moon on Game Boy Advance, which only took me almost 20 years!
Did you play this on original hardware? It was the first game I bought with my GBA back on release and I loved it, but I was always huddled under a lamp because of the lighting. I didn't mind how dark it was then, but I know it was an issue. I never went back and played it with my SP, so maybe I missed out on how pretty it could really be. But, yeah, it was a great game and Harmony of Dissonance was aces. I wish they would re-release those portable Castlevania!
Yeah, on my SP, though the backlight isn’t what it used to be so I was huddled under a lamp for a lot of it. Would love these on the Switch. They’d look great on the bigger, better screen. Or a TV.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Picked up Devil May Cry 3 on Switch, and this is undoubtedly the definitive version. Style switching and having all weapons available at the same time does do a lot to shake up the experience. While it's still somewhat inconvenient that each style levels up on its own, being able to swap between Swordmaster and Trickster brings a whole new layer to the combat that wasn't there before, and it's even got me to try out Royal Guard too. While it's not as usable or complex as in 5, it's quite a bit more forgiving than I remembered. Having all the weapons too has a similar effect. I'm using other weapons more than I have previously. I even found that Nevan is actually pretty good thanks to having it more easily accessible. One thing that I didn't expect is that it helps cut down on a lot of frustration in tough bosses too. Each boss tends to have a specific weapon or tactic that they are especially weak against, and with your limited loadout originally that could mean you're going in to a boss at a big disadvantage and you might not even know or be able to do much about it. But in this version you can quickly cycle through everything you have to find what works without having to die and go back to a checkpoint multiple times until you work it out. Controls are still a bit fiddly though in a way that can be a bit frustrating, like how to do a Stinger you have to actually be facing the enemy for it to work. Some of the fixed cameras can be really annoying too. But otherwise, it's still really good.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I've been so busy recently that I haven't been playing any games other than what I've been streaming for Cane and Rinse and my own channel, save for the odd go at an arcade game, in the wild or at home.

That said, yesterday I had an hour or so to kill and the sudden urge to play The Addams Family on the SNES. Always had a soft spot for this Ocean produced game and it hasn't lost any of its charm to me. In a way, it's actually really interesting to play right now, what with platform adventure games (or Metroidvanias if you must) coming out in drove these days and clearly following the basic tenets laid out by, yes, the Metroid and the post-Symphony of the Night Castlevania games.

This one is a non-linear, exploration based romp as well, with areas that loop back on themselves, multiple, interconnected exits and a few permanent heallth upgrades protected by bosses with simple patterns. It's chuck full of secret rooms containing collectables and power-ups too. The thing is though, that there is no item gating in this game whatsoever! You hop and bop off, Mario-style, in multiple directions and the only thing stopping you is that some areas are clearly more difficult to navigate or survive than others. You do rescue family members and only get to the ending when you've got 'em all.

The menagerie of enemies is bizarre and many don't do much besides patrolling areas and walking back and forth on a platform area. There's a lot of bottom bouncing fodder in this game, really. But I do like a lot of the simple but shiny and polished environmental design and the music by Jonathan Dunn is, erm... TO DIE FOR. :|

Just check out this little ditty here:

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

^^^^ Not everyone seems to agree with us and the few times I see it talked about is negatively or as a target of angry or snarky retro game reviewers, but yeah... what you said.
ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan »

clippa wrote: February 21st, 2020, 9:07 pm
ThirdMan wrote: February 21st, 2020, 4:06 pmAmerican Truck Simulator
Aaaay! 10-4 brother! Keep on trucking. yeah, it's really relaxing, used to love hoying that on of a night time just before I went to kip.

Ha! I knew someone on here would be a fellow trucker and of course it's you! The hardcore shmup king hauling some midnight ass across the Silver State. It's perfect.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Michiel K wrote: February 24th, 2020, 9:26 pm ^^^^ Not everyone seems to agree with us and the few times I see it talked about is negatively or as a target of angry or snarky retro game reviewers, but yeah... what you said.
Hmm, weird. Whenever I see it come up in the speedrunning community everyone seems to have nothing but nice things to say about it.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I beat Yakuza 0 on Sunday, and I wanna get back into Front Mission: Gun Hazard. Sadly, a long patch of work-induced depression has had me feeling little energy with which to game. I'm probably gonna stream Mega Man Zero this week too if I'm not too busy.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Flabyo wrote: February 25th, 2020, 12:07 am
Hmm, weird. Whenever I see it come up in the speedrunning community everyone seems to have nothing but nice things to say about it.

Interesting. I don’t really follow the speedrunning community, but it would make sense and match with my own experience that people that engage with games on a deeper level have nice things to say about it than the average “retro games” focused YouTuber!

I could see this game being fun to speedrun as well.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I've been playing a loooot of Vanquish lately. Two campaign playthroughs back-to-back and now I'm neck-deep into the unlockable Tactical Challenges. Very happy with this port, the framerate is rock solid and makes the entire experience smoother and more enjoyable without any unintended glitches or other drawbacks that I could notice.

The Challenges are fairly similar in concept to the various RE Mercenaries modes, with the important distinction that they are graded based on completion time instead of score or combo. Which turns the entire premise into a mini speedrun mode of sorts, with precision and efficiency being the main factor. I prefer Mercs overall, but this is very different from basically anything else in the action genre and I like it a lot.

I think I got the world record for the second one earlier today. It's difficult to say for sure due to the all the different platforms but I'm at the top of the PS4 leaderboards and the closest time I can find online (by the legendary MoluJPN) is more than 12 seconds slower. Really proud of my strat on that one.

Onto the others tomorrow!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Fantastic stuff, KSub. Must feel great.
shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

just started playing Blazing Chrome on Switch. it's difficult :|

I actually don't think the diagonal aiming is all that tight, and the variable jump height depending on your button press is weird and taking time to adjust to. I still keep coming back for more, tho! they've really nailed the Contra vibe, especially with the bosses. some even remind me of Lifeforce/Salamander, but that just may be me :geek:
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’ve gone back to Apex Legends and actually bought the season 4 battlepass. No idea why, but I seem to be doing much better at it now than previous attempts at playing it.

Maybe all that Overwatch these last few years has finally levelled me up.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

After beating Titanfall 2 I've re-downloaded Apex and look forward to having another pop at it!

I'm in the UK so I've been getting a chance to do some local multiplayer with my brothers! It's been lovely. Couple of highlights

Nidhogg II

Completely hilarious side scrolling game where you have go kill or evade the other player while pushing into their side of the screen. Whether button mashing or actually attempting to strategise based on the weapon you spawn in with or even the terrain, the gameplay feels really responsive and fun. The animations are a joy and it's hard not to laugh whoever ends up getting sliced up/ squashed / knocked into a meat grinder. The best parts are where someone's winning streak gaining ground gets put to a stop and the battle rages back and forth on one screen for a while.

Heave Ho

A couch co-op game on Switch where you both play little creatures with long arms and have to help each other clear the stage by pulling each other along. You might have to swing on a rope and slingshot your partner across the screen or monkey from one platform to another holding an egg between you. A really weird and joyful game with a super charming visual style. Also really funny, I never minded failing because the sight of you or the other player flying haplessly off a ledge to certain doom never failed to elicit a chuckle. And when you miraculously manage to grab something and actually make accidental progress, even better.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’m really hoping they eventually add a hero to Apex that has the wall running of the pilots from Titanfall, it’s such a clear and obvious omission given its clearly set in the same universe as it.

The titans themselves are conspicuous by their absence actually, not even world decoration, I wonder if apex is set earlier than Titanfall? I could probably find that if I looked it up.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

That wall running is so good... Makes for exciting multiplayer moments as well so I agree it'd be a great addition.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 26th, 2020, 12:50 am I think I got the world record for the second one earlier today. It's difficult to say for sure due to the all the different platforms but I'm at the top of the PS4 leaderboards and the closest time I can find online (by the legendary MoluJPN) is more than 12 seconds slower. Really proud of my strat on that one.
Way too much of a casual statement to announce such a remarkable feat.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Suits wrote: February 27th, 2020, 10:07 am
KSubzero1000 wrote: February 26th, 2020, 12:50 am I think I got the world record for the second one earlier today. It's difficult to say for sure due to the all the different platforms but I'm at the top of the PS4 leaderboards and the closest time I can find online (by the legendary MoluJPN) is more than 12 seconds slower. Really proud of my strat on that one.
Way too much of a casual statement to announce such a remarkable feat.
Seconded!!!

Spent some time on Xbox Game Pass and Games With Gold now we’re back on school nights this week. Thought I’d love both Sea Salt and Creature in the Well, but didn’t get past loving how they looked. The gameplay in both just didn’t click despite giving them a fair go. Several times!

Also binned Castlevania: Lords of Shadow after more chapters than it deserved; it’s just not very good at being either a God of War rip-off or offering the Castlevania fan anything at all! Wonder if the sequel, one of next month’s freebies, will be any improvement?

Not that that the similar Xbox 360 Ninja Gaiden II is much of an improvement, but something about its mindless button mashing has me a bit more hooked!

Lastly on there, Assault Android Cactus is a really fun twin-stick shooter with a bit of bullet-hell, but probably only good for short bursts - gets repetitive quickly.

Played through Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Game Boy Advance. Simple but a lot of fun for its short duration. On PS3 I’m completely hooked on Daytona USA, which I picked up for almost nothing last year. Still such a great looking and great feeling game. My new Virtua Racer!

And according to my RetroArch game clock, I’ve now played ten hours of SNES F1 RoC on PlayStation Classic over the past week! I seriously love this game - despite its age, it just speaks to me and it’s definitely heading for my favourite games ever list! Thanks again Suits!
Suits

Post by Suits »

stvnorman wrote: February 27th, 2020, 10:49 am And according to my RetroArch game clock, I’ve now played ten hours of SNES F1 RoC on PlayStation Classic over the past week! I seriously love this game - despite its age, it just speaks to me and it’s definitely heading for my favourite games ever list! Thanks again Suits!
Mate, it’s so good isn’t it 😄.

I finished the fist season the other night and overall finished 1st by a few points - made it very exciting.

The back quarter of the season is tricky, some proper technical circuits on the back end that require careful consideration of power plants and downforce etc... so simply selecting the most expensive parts isn’t always the best option.

Second season is a lot harder, even though you keep your finances and car parts. I’d have liked the option to drive for another team though 😕.

It’s a great lift off racer game that I find fun, easy to pick up and very rewarding.

So, the 2nd game only came out in Japan and North America and had a slightly different set up.

This time round you are expected to work your way to Formula 1 by competing the the lower GT series races with non-formula cars.

I’ve got my eye on a Japanese import (Exhaust Heat 2) copy.

F1-ROC2 uses the ST-010 FX chip, so depending on what emulator you are using, you may come into issues when trying to run the game.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Suits wrote: February 27th, 2020, 11:19 am So, the 2nd game only came out in Japan and North America and had a slightly different set up.

This time round you are expected to work your way to Formula 1 by competing the the lower GT series races with non-formula cars.

I’ve got my eye on a Japanese import (Exhaust Heat 2) copy.

F1-ROC2 uses the ST-0010 FX chip, so depending on what emulator you are using, you may come into issues when trying to run the game.
You’re making me feel guilty emulating it, but you’ll get a lot more than me out of the original I’m sure! I’ve got it running great, but literally had one race. I’ll come back to it properly later. My default SNES emulator struggled with both of them. Took a bit of experimentation to get the speed of the originals right.