Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by ratsoalbion »

I’m finding quality v performance a tough call!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I thin if I was to take this game as my only game for a while and one to be great at I’d keep it on performance mode but I know once Red Dead releases in 3 weeks I’ll of had my fill with it. Absolutely worth it though, gamepass is such great value for the consumer
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 7:57 am Absolutely worth it though, gamepass is such great value for the consumer

Not to take your quote out of context here man – but I will anyway in the sense of a little discussion about Gamepass.

Interesting one this, one which me and my mates have chatted about a few times, with widely differing opinions.

I think it is great value generally, but for others is a bit of Red Herring.

FH4 is the first game that has been released, that has been got me listening. It’s the first major game I think that really pushes Gamepass into the limelight as something that possibly the more committed users can take advantage of.

The back catalogue, which is slowly improving is wonderful. Imagine jumping into the Xbox eco-system now and being able to play all these games you’ve never played for £7.99 a month, plus an XBL Gold membership.

On the other hand, most players that have been following the scene for a while will have probably played Fallout 4, Doom and Oblivion. Then there’s the other games, that while on there are great but are now cheaper to pick up than the £7.99 a month – if like the others you’ve not already played them, or have them on your shelf still.

I almost feel that there’s a case of been blinded by choice also, there’s so much to choose from you don’t actually give anything a serious go.

Looking at the base package price, it’s £90 for the year and you also need Xbox Live Gold £40, so £130 a year will get you access to these old games and new first party Microsoft games.

That’s £140 for the first party new releases and the past library of games. Cool ?

What this boils down to for me, or where the meat value shines is new releases. So far, the big dogs of the Gamepass library in terms of new releases are Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 and Forza Horizon 2. Equally all have a mixed reception it seems.

Crackdown, Gears 5 and Halo infinite are the listed next big Microsoft titles coming out in the next 12 months – let’s say.

Couple those with the previous 3 games to make six and spread it over 2 years say and I’m not sure the value seems all that obvious, or as clear cut as it may initially seem.

Microsoft are far from silly and now exactly how close to price this compared to just picking the games up on release.

Now, you can get this cheaper if you take advantage of offers and early sign ups you can get it super cheap, like the £2 for two months thing that you have Dez. I sort of flop about with my XBL membership and buy it on a month by month basis. Last month, I got a months pass for £2, a few months prior I paid £5.99 to play Sea of Thieves ( which I bought from Argos for £30).

So currently, I’m well up on the fact that I’ve played everything I have wanted to play and been way under the £140 price mark that I would have gotten from signing up for a Gamepass membership.

Hunting around for offers for gamepass is really well worth it, and something that would make the whole thing even more appealing. Although, you do have to be careful. I was caught out last year buying an online 6 months Xbox Live Gold pass for a price that was literally to good to be true. I got my money back in the end via my bank – but I did have my fingers nibbled.

Now, you could argue the same point about physical games, shop around enough, use codes and vouchers and you’ll get the physical game cheaper. Sometimes, not even looking about but just going straight to Argos or Smyths will result in launch day savings.

Wait a couple of weeks and CEX will have a copy for sure – even cheaper.

I often get looked at ugly when I question the actual value of Gamepass, as if I’m someone that can’t see a clear winning choice, it’s also worth stating that generally, Xbox is my system of choice, especially for multiplatform gaming and has been for since the 360 launch.

As the years tick by and my shelf of Xbox, 360 and One games starts to dwindle then sure, I’ll maybe look at this library of games and perhaps start to ponder my choice but I just don’t think Gamepass is as such an obvious choice for all – yet.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So given up on Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze now. I must have changed as I have never given up on 2D platformers ever but after attempting world 2-2 for the 50th time I have decided to call it a day as it just wasn't fun anymore. It does give you an option to exit the level and move on if you want to but I am pretty sure if it is outfoxing me this early it can only get worse. Also the music from that level I have gone from loving to loathing after hearing it so many times! :lol:

It isn't you Donkey Kong it's me
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Tried Funky mode?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 12:14 pm Tried Funky mode?
Nah it loses something for me when I have to reduce the difficulty or play on an easier mode. I am all for it in narrative based stuff (I had to lower it once in Yakuza 0 as I forgot to stock up on health drinks before a boss fight) but in platformers etc I feel like I am missing the point of the game. I had done all 96 levels on Super Mario World and finished the older Donkey Kong Countries I just think I am less patient nowadays and I like to feel I am progressing whenever I play games due to the less free time I have.

Speaking of Yakuza I am well into Kiwami 2 now and although I am missing
Spoiler: show
Majima
it is brilliant and as mentioned before streets ahead of Kiwami.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I totally get what you’re saying Rich but as DKTF is so very hard, Funky Mode just kind of takes it back to a regular difficulty.

Worth trying rather than binning off the game entirely perhaps?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Currently 30+ hours deep into DMC3 and no sign of stopping. I haven't even finished the main story because I'm having so much fun replaying previous levels in order to hunt those sweet S ranks. Minor control quirks and preferences aside, this combat system is an absolute delight. Pacing, cutscenes and most of the bosses are fantastic as well. This playthrough is definitely reminding me of why the series is so great. 5 can't come soon enough.

Suits wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 9:15 am a little discussion about Gamepass.
I think it is great value generally, but for others is a bit of Red Herring.
Great post which echoes a lot of my concerns about subscription services in general.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah that was interesting to read. One thing though - do you have to be a Gold member to use Game pass? If so, thats one plus point for PS Now, in so far as you do not need to be a PS+member to play PS Now games online.

However, the two services still aren't really comparable, overall.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

You need Gold if you want online multiplayer. Otherwise they are separate services.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

For me it’s an optional way to play and/or try games, reminds me of walking into blockbuster/ritz/choices as a kid and being blown away by choice

The real hurdle is wait time to download which is a pain but also forces me to give it a decent go when it finally downloads. I don’t think I’ll be subbing to gamepass every month but more of a gap filler.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 11:34 pm You need Gold if you want online multiplayer. Otherwise they are separate services.
Oh, can you have Gamepass without needing to have Xbox Live Gold first ??
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Finally weaned myself off Spintires for an evening and took The Golf Club 2019 out for a couple of rounds. This was an independently-developed game for its first two iterations, but in this latest one they've struck up a partnership with 2K and have got six actual PGA courses in the game. Its big claim to fame up to now has been an excellent course creator and easy ranking and sharing of created courses with other users, so unlimited courses, in effect.

The game has always been a polarising one; I'm the only one of the group of golfing-game friends I know that plays it, the others preferring the power ups and pinpoint control of Tiger/Rory/Everybody's Golf. The Golf Club doesn't have any meters, but relies on the analog sticks alone. So it's all about 'feel', rather than nailing a pointer shooting up a meter. This has its advantages and drawbacks.

This latest game is pretty challenging to get to grips with, in my first session shots haven't been landing anywhere near where I'm expecting them to end up. I need to spend some time working out the controls and whether it's my accuracy, wind, loft or whatever that's giving me these results.

Enjoyed my couple of rounds last night, looking forward to getting back to it.

In the area of sports games, golf is a pretty soulless one, with its lack of teamwork, and often absence of any other players. MLB The Show is also like this - it's you in the moment, in a bubble where you have to perform - but I guess that's my preferred experience (Madden is also stop, start, execute one play). But playing the manicured courses carved out of the desert or the Florida swamp, gave me pause for thought last night. Golf is such a weird game.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Suits wrote: October 4th, 2018, 6:19 am
ratsoalbion wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 11:34 pm You need Gold if you want online multiplayer. Otherwise they are separate services.
Oh, can you have Gamepass without needing to have Xbox Live Gold first ??
That’s what I just said innit!
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: October 4th, 2018, 8:04 am That’s what I just said innit!
Don’t get flirty with me Ratty !

I genuinely didn’t know that. All the conversations I’ve had and the way that I have understood things is that you have to have an active membership to be able to take advantage of Gamepass.

That does make a difference.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I just had a quick Google at the Ts and Cs and there it was.
;)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, clear as day.

I stand corrected on my original script.

It makes no serious alterations about my approach to the service mind but that’s certainly a sweetener I think.

The month by month approach is a smart one I think.

Anyway, FH4 on Gamepass is a clear winner at the moment and it’s dragged a lot of us old Xbox boys back into the eco-system.

Played another large chunk of it last night, in varying single player, multiplayer, PvP, Co-Op and team races.

I’m enjoying it, I’ll be back at it tonight !!

Forza Gamepass FTW :lol: .
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

Fire Pro Wrestling World - PS4 Pro

I've been a wrestling fan all my life, and like most us us who love this crazy world we no doubt started by watching WWF or WCW.

Now while I do keep up with WWE, my love of pro wrestling is kept alive these days by NJPW. That means my excitement for Fire Pro Wrestling World was even higher than it would of been due to it incorporating some of New Japans best grapplers.

What Fire Pro may not offer in terms of photo realistic visuals it sure makes up for in the way it plays. It's easy to pick up, but can be complex to master.

Matches can in theory be won by sticking to a set number of moves and a standard formula, but that means you won't get a great match evaluation. This encourages you to mix up the way you wrestle, have an exciting back and forth match to get that elusive 100% evaluation.

As far as mechanics go, Fire Pro has no equal in the wrestling game genre, and it'll be played for a long time to come I'm sure.

Forza Horizon 4 - Xbox One X

I've not put a huge amount of time into Forza due to Fire Pro taking up a lot of my time, and due to the fact I got married over the weekend, but what I have played has blown me away.

For starters the game looks incredible, it constantly impresses me how good it looks and the changing seasons really spice up the surroundings.

It also plays beautifully and is the perfect mix of arcade racing with a hint of SIM for me. I'm really looking forward to cracking on with it.

With both of the above, a playthrough of Shadow of the Tomb Raider also underway and Assassins Creed Odyssey hitting tomorrow, I've got plenty to keep me occupied for the foreseeable future.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Congratulations, Pitwar! :D

I've been playing the holy heck out of Psyvariar Delta and Dragonball FighterZ still, but about to go as deep with AC Odyssey as it will let me. Totally enthralled by its world at the moment and the lite stealth combat is a lot of fun.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I'm playing more of the same, but there's a few new developments.

I think I'm just past the halfway point in CrossCode now, and it's in a weird spot at the moment. Recently the game went through a very emotionally intense section for quite an extended period of time. It took a huge turn and up-ended a lot of what was happening in the story so far. Definitely a highlight of the experience thus far. It's still dealing with the fallout, and there's still a lot of lingering plot threads it brought up. It's kind of hard to get back in to the swing of things, and the same old questing and such when that part had such a big impact and took things in a different direction. I guess that's sort of a form of praise in a way. Still eager to press on and see what happens though.

Also continuing to be hooked on Forza Horizon 4. The structure of this one really is the loosest yet, and I'm not entirely sure what to think of it. I guess I am liking it because of that, but I feel like I shouldn't. The game feels like it doesn't really have any proper career mode to speak of really, but instead several dozen progress bars that just continually go up. On the one hand, it does make each thing feel less meaningful, like you just keep getting showered with positive feedback like you're reaching some milestone every minute without even trying. But at the same time it makes the game extremely compelling for long sessions. It's constantly egging you on to do just one more little thing. Every time you're wondering what to do next, it's so easy to just do whatever little task is in front of you over and over. Each thing seems easy to commit to since it's only a few minutes, but then suddenly hours have gone by and you didn't even notice.