Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Flabyo »

ThirdDrawing wrote: December 18th, 2018, 6:40 pm Finally got my copy of Night Trap for the Switch, at my parents. It's......really bad.

THIS is what the ESRB was created for?
It really is terrible. I think they’re bringing Double Switch out again as well, that’s marginally better (and was actually filmed in the same decade that it originally released in, unlike Night Trap)
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I saw Double Switch on the PlayStation store, more drawn in by the "25th Anniversary Edition" subtitle, and arrogantly thought I'm 38, surely in my lifetime I would have heard about this game? How could I miss such a "classic" title?.

And after looking at the preview video, I remembered why I forgot! I shall tick "unable to attend" on this anniversary invitation methinks... :?
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Flabyo wrote: December 18th, 2018, 10:58 pm
ThirdDrawing wrote: December 18th, 2018, 6:40 pm Finally got my copy of Night Trap for the Switch, at my parents. It's......really bad.

THIS is what the ESRB was created for?
It really is terrible. I think they’re bringing Double Switch out again as well, that’s marginally better (and was actually filmed in the same decade that it originally released in, unlike Night Trap)
Don't know Double Switch. Is it another FMV game?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Yup. It also has Debbie Harry in it.

As I say, it’s marginally better than Night Trap, but not by much. Probably the best of the crop of FMV games that hit the mega cd though.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

My love-hate relationship with Subnautica continues. Well, I say that, but it's more a mild enjoyment-mild irritation relationship. After about 18 hours I have a clear path to the endgame, though have not yet discovered all the stuff I need to make it there.

It's a nice game, with a bare-bones but enjoyable story. The environments are great. The chief irritations lie in inventory management (you have to have materials in your inventory to craft something, it doesn't look at the mats in storage, so you have to look in every locker to find the three or four bits you need, every bloody time) and in the progression mechanic, which is chiefly swimming around on the seabed looking for parts of machinery which you can turn into a blueprint for that thing once you find enough of them.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Chopper wrote: December 19th, 2018, 4:56 pm The chief irritations lie in inventory management...
I didn’t play Sub-Nautica but watched Sips’ playthrough and very much enjoyed it but thinking about playing myself I very much doubt, as like you mention in your irritations things like that very much stand out as annoyances.

Where about are you in the development of the story Chop ??
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Played an hour of Hellblade and really found it fascinating. It seems a bit simple from a gameplay point of view so far but its ideas are good and I'll carry on with it.

Got Starlink through the door, at 20 quid it was a bargain. Its got Starfox all over it.

Seems promising!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Reminder: if you’re playing Hellblade, play it with headphones on. That binaural stuff it does is first in class.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

dezm0nd wrote: December 19th, 2018, 7:42 pm Played an hour of Hellblade and really found it fascinating. It seems a bit simple from a gameplay point of view so far but its ideas are good and I'll carry on with it.

Got Starlink through the door, at 20 quid it was a bargain. Its got Starfox all over it.

Seems promising!
On the subject of Starfox I’ve just started Starfox adventures. It’s a bit of an oddity and not sure if I’m going to see it through given its generally poor reception which it seems to be living up to. Would anyone recommend persevering?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Simonsloth wrote: December 19th, 2018, 7:51 pm On the subject of Starfox I’ve just started Starfox adventures.
This has been on my list for a while, to the point I slide it off the shelf last week.

Not started it though :mrgreen: .
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote: December 19th, 2018, 7:42 pm Got Starlink through the door, at 20 quid it was a bargain. Its got Starfox all over it.
I got reasonably far into this but found that I wasn’t playing it as I should have been and never really picked it up again.

Feels nice to play mind, especially as Star Fox.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I take it the way to play is to be super chill ala No Mans Sky? Not to chase the story beats.

Regarding Starfox Adventures; There's not much you'll miss out on if you don't see it through. If you're a fan of Rare or the Starfox series then play it but if you're not enjoying it the knock it on the head.

It feels very similar to Kameo for me, if that makes any sense.
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote: December 20th, 2018, 5:58 am I take it the way to play is to be super chill ala No Mans Sky? Not to chase the story beats?
Well, personally I found it more fun chasing the story beat to be honest.

I lost momentum when I needed more than one ship as it was best to have a number of ships and builds etc.. all I wanted to do was to use the Arwing.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Suits wrote: December 19th, 2018, 7:00 pm I didn’t play Sub-Nautica but watched Sips’ playthrough and very much enjoyed it but thinking about playing myself I very much doubt, as like you mention in your irritations things like that very much stand out as annoyances.

Where about are you in the development of the story Chop ??
I'm pretty advanced in that I've reached most places and can see what I think they intend for the end game; I just don't have the ultimate means to get there at the moment. There are a few crafting materials showing up now that I haven't encountered yet, and I need one set of blueprints in particular.

I had a good session with it last night. Opinion is trending up. :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Chopper wrote: December 20th, 2018, 7:42 am I had a good session with it last night. Opinion is trending up. :)
Cool man, I enjoyed the mild story beats very much and seeing the ultimate goal unfold.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Does anyone else have multiple consoles housed in the TV unit cubby holes? If so, what do you do to stop them from heating up to the maximum?

I currently have a PS4 and the XB1X in one cubby hole and it's not doing either of them any favours.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

R-Type is dope.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Metroid Fusion is becoming dope.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Yeah i loved fusion
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote: December 21st, 2018, 4:55 pm Yeah i loved fusion
Yeah, I was initially left a little flat with exact Super Metroid formula but as soon as you build yourself back up to standard it starts getting fun and different in its own way.

It also builds the atmosphere and theme of the research station on SR388 really well and has some of the best 2D sprite work ever I think. The backgrounds and detail in the little computers and workstations is wonderful and very immersive.

Coming off the back of (fairly) recently playing through the Samus Returns re-make which is also set on SR388 fits in nicely with me too.