Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Simonsloth

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Simonsloth » July 7th, 2019, 4:58 pm

El Shaddai definitely is more style than substance for me. The fact my favourite part of the game was the Jason Issacs delivered attract mode says a lot. Let me tell you a tale...
[youtube]https://youtu.be/GU4I6MM-moU[/youtube]

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » July 7th, 2019, 5:53 pm

I started Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect 1 was the first game I streamed from start to finish on Twitch back in 2017, so now I've been using the series as my anniversary game. I'm only two hours in (the intros never really grab me) but excited to finish this trilogy up. I most likely will not be trying Andromeda.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » July 7th, 2019, 6:42 pm

I think Game Boy Castlevania Adventure gets a bum rap. Then again, I think that about Pit Fighter and the Spectrum version of Out Run too! Anyway, I remember being hugely impressed with it on the original hardware, and have really enjoyed playing through it again in the Konami Castlevania Collection on Switch.

A lot of the current criticism seems to be about it being boring compared to the sequel, therefore redundant in the collection, and taking the place of a GBA game or Symphony or whatever.

The first stage is a bit sedate, but there’s some really good platforming, races against time and boss fights later on. Took me a few goes to remember how the end bit works, but the rest felt comfortably familiar and as much fun as I remembered. And I for one am glad it’s present! Now I just need that Arcade Archives Pit Fighter release!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 7th, 2019, 10:04 pm

I rate M2’s Castlevania: The Adventure - Rebirth as a fabulous SNES-esque remake too. Real shame it isn’t on the compilation.

I don’t think Hamster have any Atari IP, so you won’t get an ACA version of Pit Fighter.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » July 8th, 2019, 8:28 am

ratsoalbion wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 10:04 pm
I don’t think Hamster have any Atari IP, so you won’t get an ACA version of Pit Fighter.
Treading all over my dreams with your superior knowledge...

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 8th, 2019, 9:04 am

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » July 8th, 2019, 9:51 am

I know it but haven’t got it. However, when I last looked the price on PS2 was much higher than it seems to be on eBay currently. Unfortunately my PS2 drive is knackered and only plays about one in three games, so I’ve been reluctant to buy anything new for it. The first one does still work though. If it’s only a few quid I might take a punt. Thanks!

UPDATE. Just bought for £2.50!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 8th, 2019, 10:29 am

duskvstweak wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 5:53 pm
I started Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect 1 was the first game I streamed from start to finish on Twitch back in 2017, so now I've been using the series as my anniversary game. I'm only two hours in (the intros never really grab me) but excited to finish this trilogy up. I most likely will not be trying Andromeda.
Hope you enjoy it! I loved it, and it was my favourite of the trilogy. I even loved the ending (but then, I liked the Lost ending too so what do I know?)

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » July 8th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 10:29 am
duskvstweak wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 5:53 pm
Hope you enjoy it! I loved it, and it was my favourite of the trilogy. I even loved the ending (but then, I liked the Lost ending too so what do I know?)
Yes, I'm aware of the controversy/mixed feelings people have about the ending, and vaguely aware of why (not certain, so no spoilers please!)

I will say, I like the series but don't love it, so I doubt I'll be mad either way. Also, from what I've gathered, people were upset because the ending made them feel like their choices didn't matter, but, from what I've seen in the games, it's more of the illusion of choice anyway. If people want to see Bioware choices that can really mess them up, go play Baldur's Gate II.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » July 11th, 2019, 7:25 pm

I’ve been dabbling with Night Trap since the day it came out last year on Switch, gradually getting a bit further through the story each time. A couple of weeks ago I got to what turned out to be a mid-way checkpoint (after all of 14 minutes!), so I’ve been getting a bit more serious, even taking notes on event timings like it’s 1992, no less! The game is the same every time, and once you start down this route, you get gradually more addicted to working out where and when everything happens, and it gets very easy to have just one more go and get one more scene further along. I’ve now finished it, with the final run clocking in at around half an hour.

I love the low-budget 80’s horror it’s based on; I love the concept of the repetitive gameplay and ultra simple controls - essentially switching between 8 CCTV cameras playing FMV and activating traps on vampire trespassers; and even though I’ve never played it before, I still have huge nostalgia for how cutting-edge and cool this game was when it came out. I know most people hate it, but I couldn’t be a more perfect demographic for both the concept and the dumbed-down gameplay, and as such I think it’s great!

Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse » July 12th, 2019, 11:13 am

stvnorman wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 7:25 pm
I’ve been dabbling with Night Trap since the day it came out last year on Switch, gradually getting a bit further through the story each time. A couple of weeks ago I got to what turned out to be a mid-way checkpoint (after all of 14 minutes!), so I’ve been getting a bit more serious, even taking notes on event timings like it’s 1992, no less! The game is the same every time, and once you start down this route, you get gradually more addicted to working out where and when everything happens, and it gets very easy to have just one more go and get one more scene further along. I’ve now finished it, with the final run clocking in at around half an hour.

I love the low-budget 80’s horror it’s based on; I love the concept of the repetitive gameplay and ultra simple controls - essentially switching between 8 CCTV cameras playing FMV and activating traps on vampire trespassers; and even though I’ve never played it before, I still have huge nostalgia for how cutting-edge and cool this game was when it came out. I know most people hate it, but I couldn’t be a more perfect demographic for both the concept and the dumbed-down gameplay, and as such I think it’s great!
Ahh that's cool, I'm planning to get a Switch sometime soon and I didn't know this was on there.

I've wanted to play it since I saw it on AVGN, in my teens. I get a kick out of crappy low-budget things in general and even more so when they have something unique going for them. I reckon I'll feel the same as you do when I eventually give it a go.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 12th, 2019, 12:38 pm

I waited and it finally paid off, picked up Yakuza Kiwami 2 on PS4 in the sale last night. Got to finish Detroit first but can't wait to get back in that world and play through the second installment.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » July 12th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Caligulas Horse wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 11:13 am
Ahh that's cool, I'm planning to get a Switch sometime soon and I didn't know this was on there.
I think you’ll like if. The Switch version has loads of extras if you’re willing to put the time in. I think it’s been in sales fairly regularly since it came out so hopefully you’ll get it at a decent price too.

Speaking of which, thanks to Leon for recommending I check out Midway Arcade Treasures 2 on PS2 so I could get my hands on Pit Fighter again. Bought on eBay for £2.49 on Tuesday, arrived today and thankfully works in my temperamental disk drive. I haven’t played it since it was one of those arcade machines everyone marvelled at for its visuals, which obviously aren’t the marvel they were then, and the gameplay was and still is, shall we say, simple, but I won’t hear a word said against it! Aside from Pit Fighter, it’s one hell of a compilation. What a buy!

clippa

Post by clippa » July 12th, 2019, 4:18 pm

Curious Expedition

I remember trying this when it came out, really enjoying it and snapping it up straight away but I only had like 20 minutes or something on steam so some other, shinier game must have come out at the same time and lured me away.
Anyway, I was going through my library looking for something a bit more chill and slow paced to play of a night time and this is really hitting the spot. It's really good fun, like a choose your own adventure sort of thing, really relaxing.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 12th, 2019, 9:56 pm

Ooooh - Curious Expedition 2 coming

To console as well and the original is getting a console release this year too (Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4, Xbox One).
• Enjoy deeper travel and combat mechanics that offer opportunities to express your personal play style.

• Witness the next era of procedural generation that will provide you with unique endless stories and characters, coming alive through their diverse personalities and relationship features.

• For the first time, compete against your friends and the rest of the world with the new multiplayer features.
You can play an in-browser version of the first game here if you want to try it out - https://curious-expedition.com/demo/

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » July 13th, 2019, 7:59 am

Alex79uk wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 12:38 pm
I waited and it finally paid off, picked up Yakuza Kiwami 2 on PS4 in the sale last night. Got to finish Detroit first but can't wait to get back in that world and play through the second installment.
Yeah that is a great price for Kiwami 2.

Judgement continues to be excellent. I now have a girlfriend who constantly texts me whenever I'm trying to get anything done, much like real life :)

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 13th, 2019, 8:53 am

Detroit continues to be really good. I'm hoping that once you finish the game you're given the opportunity to replay the individual vignettes, as there is a lot I wish had gone differently but there doesn't appear to be a way to go back and change anything during a playthrough. Wish I'd knocked the artists son out for starters...

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » July 13th, 2019, 9:13 am

Alex79uk wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 8:53 am
Detroit continues to be really good. I'm hoping that once you finish the game you're given the opportunity to replay the individual vignettes, as there is a lot I wish had gone differently but there doesn't appear to be a way to go back and change anything during a playthrough. Wish I'd knocked the artists son out for starters...
You can

ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer » July 13th, 2019, 10:36 am

Another 3 games tried out recently:

Thimbleweed Park - Honestly didn't get too far into this. Not a huge fan of adventures in this ilk but heard good things

Final Station - Freebie from a Mixpot giveaway two(?) years ago. Knew it involved trains but hadn't realised it was a platformer. Undecided if I want to go back

What Remains of Edith Finch - Very atmospheric and I've managed to both never had played this before AND avoid spoilers. Geography of the house makes no sense to me. Intrigued for more.

The bean dive is coming to a close so that'll be it for a while on batches of games. It's been a nice change to dip into a selection of games rather than continuing with games that require a grind

clippa

Post by clippa » July 13th, 2019, 11:11 am

Unbecuntinglievable. State of this - https://i.imgur.com/ehJom8N.jpg
I'd just ransacked a temple and the earth was falling away, if I hadn't panicked and just gone the long way round, I wouldn't have fallen down that hole, I'd have gotten to the golden pyramid and escaped!
I'm going back to ketsui, this isn't relaxing at all!

Really like this promotional picture thing for the new one.