Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Alex79uk

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Alex79uk » September 15th, 2019, 3:22 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm
Alex79uk wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 2:10 pm
It's great! I can see me plugging away at this for weeks. Level 6 and I'm stumped!
Yeah, I love it too, despite the hurdle.

Remember, if it proves to be too much: there is also another (and much easier) game in the same series. Perhaps it might help ease you into the in-game logic a little bit.
Yeah I saw you mention that, although it doesn't appear to be available on Android. The in-game logic is pretty straightforward, it's just the fiendish puzzles!

For example, this stage I've screenshotted below is broken in my game. It's broken because it's clearly quite literally impossible to do.

Must be a faulty version. They'll probably issue a patch.

:lol:

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 15th, 2019, 3:27 pm

Oh man, I got stuck on that one for quite a while!

Definitely not a glitch though, I promise. :lol:

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 15th, 2019, 8:34 pm

I just played the first two chapters of The Room, the 3D point-and-click puzzle game. Surprised my laptop can even run it, honestly. I really like it so far! Solid atmosphere, engaging riddles and I haven't encountered any arbitrary leaps of logic yet. Although I think this is my first experience with this type of game so I don't know how it compares to other classics or how it rates among fans of the genre. I know CaR did an episode on the trilogy a few years back, so I look forward to listening to it later on.

Also, I noticed the developers are from Guildford! Friends of yours, Flabyo? :)

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » September 16th, 2019, 5:41 am

Not had a lot of career overlap with the people at Fireproof. But I know one or two people there. (Of the studios in Guildford its probably Hello Games where I know the most)

Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse » September 16th, 2019, 8:25 am

I'm right before the last mission in Spiderman so I spent yesterday afternoon swinging around clearing up a good chunk of the remaining collectibles & side missions. Most of it has been smooth sailing but the challenges can be quite tricky, it took me a lot of attempts to get gold on all of the Drones.
For the most part the challenges and side missions aren't that interesting in and of themselves, it's really a testament to how great it feels to control Spiderman that I want to do it all, I feel like I could just swing around aimlessly forever.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 16th, 2019, 1:14 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 8:34 pm
Although I think this is my first experience with this type of game so I don't know how it compares to other classics or how it rates among fans of the genre.
It's pretty much the pinnacle of the 'puzzle box/escape room' type game, so you don't really have anywhere to go from here, haha. The first Room game is amazing. Just really interesting and some great puzzles. The second was equally good, although I never got around to finishing it. Although I own the others also, I've never played them yet. Now you've reminded me of the series though, I think I'll give the first game a replay and go from there.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » September 16th, 2019, 2:15 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to balance play WoW Classic, which is just as addictive to me now and is was back in 2006, and playing ANYTHING else. I don't know how people who regularly play MMO's do it.
I had to quite playing League of Legends years ago because it stole all my time and meant that I wasn't playing anything else. Once I stopped, I beat, like, three games that week.
How do I get to level sixty in WoW while also wanting to play Dead Cells?

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 16th, 2019, 2:21 pm

duskvstweak wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 2:15 pm
At the risk of sounding melodramatic, MMOs are inherently designed to grab ahold of your lizard brain and take over your life. Not the healthiest concept, I would argue.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » September 16th, 2019, 2:53 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 2:21 pm
duskvstweak wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 2:15 pm
At the risk of sounding melodramatic, MMOs are inherently designed to grab ahold of your lizard brain and take over your life. Not the healthiest concept, I would argue.
Dinosaurs = lizards
Dinosaurs > Mammals
Lizard brain human playing WoW = Dinosaur!

What's the problem?

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » September 16th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Still playing Astral Chain and moved on to the post-game challenge missions. Done about 15 or so, out of a total of 71. I'm not sure I'll finish all of them, but I'm enjoying them right now. They are just straightforward combat scenarios, without any of the frills of the rest of the game, at least so far. The combat really shines in these missions, where you just get to focus on the best bit of the gameplay in a highly concentrated form. There are also a lot of enemies in this part that don't show up in the main game at all, and they start showing up really quickly too. It seems like a pretty large chunk of the content in the game is just in these challenges. Strange, but a nice surprise.

Although so far I've got an S+ on every mission, I have a suspicion that at some point the difficulty might escalate to a point where I can't keep up. That is, if this is anything like the similar post-game challenge in Bayonetta 2. That started off with a difficulty level in line with the lower modes, and gradually increases as the missions progress. Similar to the Bloody Palace in DMC I suppose as well. Then again, a couple of these missions have already been quite tough, so maybe it's not like that here. But once I hit a wall in this mode I might decide to go back to the main game and try the higher difficulty, or try to get a better rank on the mode I already beat. Although my consistent high ranks at this mode makes me kind of hesitant to go back. It makes it even clearer that pretty much all my lower scores were down to the non-combat stuff. The idea of having to go back and try to improve on the stuff I already don't enjoy doesn't seem that appealing. Meh, I'll see how I feel later. For now, it's a lot of fun.

Also finally had another shot at Prey (original flavour) and I'm enjoying it so far. It's been an extremely long time since I last played it, which I was quite shocked by. Seven years ago! It's been longer between now and then, than it was between release and when I last played. It doesn't feel like it though.

This game feels incredibly old though. No surprises there, being an early 360 game when things were still transitioning over. It's got a very Doom 3 feel to it, for obvious reasons. But it has a cool dark and moody feel to it that you don't really see in games much these days. I like it. It's also somewhat reminiscent of The Darkness. Another dark gritty FPS from that era, which I have a lot of fondness for. The gameplay here actually stands up fairly well though. Although it feels pretty basic and light on variety, there's a decent amount of movement and strafing involved. The mechanics of walking on walls and portals are pretty fun too. They are somewhat gimmicky, but they are a gimmick I like. And when you're fighting enemies who are running around on the ceiling, or vice versa, that is actually a pretty fun twist on shooter gameaplay, and still quite novel.

The intro is still fantastic too. It creates a somewhat foreboding atmosphere right from the start, even before the aliens show up and things start going crazy. The licensed music choice is really inspired too. Some great tunes that create a strong juxtaposition with the events happening, but still seem somehow fitting. Having it be diegetic is a great touch too, and then when they re-contextualise it later when you discover the bar as it has been partially engulfed in to this grotesque fleshy alien environment, it really sells the sense of how this invasion is consuming everything on Earth, taking things that had meaning to people, and just violating and engulfing it like there's no difference between any object or living thing at all.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » September 17th, 2019, 7:50 am

clippa wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 4:24 pm
Do you like roguelikes, chopper? You might just need a little break from all those big brain games. Give golden krone hotel a go, that's fab!
I notice that's a turn-based roguelike, did you tailor that recommendation for me? :) To be honest, I've only really started playing turn-based games this year, it hasn't been a theme of my gaming till now. Sounds interesting though, I will definitely check it out.

Today's intriguing must-buy game on sale appears to be Nantucket, though :oops:

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » September 17th, 2019, 7:57 am

I've been playing, or should I say trying to play, FTL: Faster Than Light on the iPad. I think I'm just going to have to admit that it's not for me and move on. I had similar trouble with it on Mac. It's not just the difficulty, it's that I'm not getting into the rhythm of the game. I'd relish the challenge if I could just get it to 'click' for me.

Suits

Post by Suits » September 17th, 2019, 8:34 am

I got well into FTL when it came out - loved that game.

I even modded it to a Star Wars theme which was cool.

I’m addicted to Tetris 99 - it’s brilliant.

The new version has added daily challenges and themes to unlock as you progress.

I also picked up the DLC which is £8.99 but inside a stack of Gold Coins I had saved up and it ended up costing me about £5 - which was nice.

The DLC adds co-op mode, as well as CPU battle and marathon mode - essentially making the game playable offline.

Excellent game that just keeps me going back to it each night for a few games.

Very good. Get on it, it’s free for Nintendo online subscribers.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » September 17th, 2019, 8:39 am

Suits wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 8:34 am

That sounds great. Was it just a re-skin or did the text refer to different races, etc?

I don't even consider myself a proper Star Wars fan and my hands are shaking at the mere thought of this.

Suits

Post by Suits » September 17th, 2019, 9:00 am

ThirdMan wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 8:39 am
Suits wrote:

That sounds great. Was it just a re-skin or did the text refer to different races, etc?

I don't even consider myself a proper Star Wars fan and my hands are shaking at the mere thought of this.
To be honest, I can’t remember the text but it was most certainly the ship skins.

It was decent.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » September 17th, 2019, 10:51 am

Suits wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 9:00 am
ThirdMan wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 8:39 am
Suits wrote:

To be honest, I can’t remember the text but it was most certainly the ship skins.

It was decent.
Just checked out a video there. Millennium Falcon versus a star-fighter. Very cool indeed.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » September 17th, 2019, 1:25 pm

ThirdMan wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 7:57 am
I've been playing, or should I say trying to play, FTL: Faster Than Light on the iPad. I think I'm just going to have to admit that it's not for me and move on. I had similar trouble with it on Mac. It's not just the difficulty, it's that I'm not getting into the rhythm of the game. I'd relish the challenge if I could just get it to 'click' for me.
I love the game, made it to one of my favorites.
I still haven't beaten it.

clippa

Post by clippa » September 17th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Chopper wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 7:50 am
I notice that's a turn-based roguelike, did you tailor that recommendation for me? :) To be honest, I've only really started playing turn-based games this year
All roguelikes are turn based.
A roguelite is a game in any genre that has a few roguelike mechanics slapped onto it (procedural generation and permadeath mostly).

Not everyone agrees, but the "berlin interpretation" is/was (see below) the most widely accepted definition of a roguelike - http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?tit ... rpretation

To throw another spanner in the works, language evolves over time, if enough people use a word incorrectly, the people using the term correctly end up being the ones in the wrong.

It started slowly, but everyone and their ganny just calls everything a roguelike now, and as you can clearly see, I'm over it. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. [partridge]I couldn't give a fuck[/partridge]

"Bullet hell" was always a subgenre of shmup, but it sounded cool so the great unwashed pinched it and used it to define any game in any genre that had more than one bullet on screen at any point.
I dislike labels in general for people, but all these little genre classifications come in really handy when you're talking about games and they become totally worthless when people use them incorrectly.

Oh right, so it's a relatively new foray for you, I thought you were like the turn based guy. Right, so that's just the tip of the iceberg!
ThirdMan wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 7:57 am
I've played for 26 hours according to steam, but yeah, it never quite clicked for me either. I could see why other people were going barmy for it, but there was something missing for me, like you say, couldn't quite get into the rhythm of it all, it was a bit stop/start. I think it might have benefited from being entirely turn based rather than having that pausable real time thing going on. I think I enjoyed all it's different parts separately but the game didn't quite come together for me.

Suits

Post by Suits » September 17th, 2019, 3:50 pm

duskvstweak wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 1:25 pm
I love the game, made it to one of my favorites.
I still haven't beaten it.
I’ve beaten it once, early on in my time with it too so it kind of gave me a false idea of how punishing the game can be.

That last fight is brutal, you can have an excellent build and feel like everything is going very well - then pow, it takes everything from you in an instant.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 17th, 2019, 7:44 pm

I felt like playing something fun, simple, simian and uh... "life-affirming" so I went with a bit of Super Monkey Ball and Donkey Kong Country Returns this evening.

SMB is as pure as it's ever been, one of gaming's most endearing displays of dedication towards a specific premise. All you need is the analogue stick (and what a stick it is!) and you have hours of challenging joy ahead of you. Amusement Vision was a brilliant studio.

DKCR is another winner with its charming level design and heroic duo. 2D platformers aren't exactly my favorite genre, but I'm having a lot of fun with this one even though I suspect it's probably on the simplistic side of things. I've never played the sequel on the WiiU which I hear is even better, so I look forward to trying that one out later on.

One thing that stood out to me in retrospect though, is that the motion controls aren't handled particularly well in this game. They are very basic to the point that they could all have been replaced with a single button press (and there are still unassigned buttons with the control scheme as it is), but their inherent margin of error also might not make them the ideal choice for something as precise as a platformer to begin with. It's not always clear when exactly the waggle will register which can cause a bit of frustration at times.