Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
hazeredmist

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by hazeredmist » January 23rd, 2020, 8:54 am

Ah, Destiny. I absolutely adored that game, so many good times with mates online. I don’t think it’s something you can just drop in and out of though, so like coming off a drug the best call is just cold turkey. Eventually you can’t relate to it anymore.

Enjoy the memories though!

Chopper

Post by Chopper » January 23rd, 2020, 11:30 am

clippa wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 1:50 pm
Preposterous universe more like!
@flabyo found your new favourite game!
That's a proper dad game, innit? Back in the day you'd see dads playing on a computer and you'd go "ooh, what you playing, man?" and it'd be something boring like that with loads of writing.
:lol:

Nailed it.

Flabyo is getting there with his Stellaris and Elite Dangerous but not quite yet; I thought Stanshall had joined the ranks when he mentioned Train World Simulator last year, but it doesn't seem to have stuck.

I'd meant to mention this before but didn't want to look like I was trolling in the Shmup thread - at some point you guys' reaction speed will decline, right? What happens then, is it onto the Dad Games for everyone? I see from your last video you don't have anything to worry about for a while yet, but won't there be whole genres of games that people won't be able to play (to their accustomed standards) when they are 50, say?

Anyway, less of the depressing stuff, I am still playing.....Field of Glory: Empires in multiplayer:
Spoiler: show

I am Egypt; the Seleucids declared war and forced me to take the Levant. The only human players left are me, Pontus (on the southern shore of the Black Sea), Maurya (India) who is the huge advancing red guy to the east, and Dacia (north of Greece). We started with 10 players.

Moving on Athens now, specifically Crete, with an eye on the logical conquest, which is Macedonia. Both Macedonia and I are Hellenic, which makes it easier to assimilate, race-wise. It's one of the 800lb gorillas though, so care needs to be taken.

Rome is also on the move - it's got a fleet in the Med - and Carthage is threatening my western borders through its client state Nasramones. Getting hot* in here.

*Insofar as a dusty wargame can get 'hot'.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » January 23rd, 2020, 11:52 am

I don't know about the others but I intend to Prince Phillip my way through genres I enjoy to my 50's and beyond as long as my limbs allow it, I've never been particularly good at them anyway it's just repetition and gradual improvement, and if you're having fun who cares!

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » January 23rd, 2020, 1:13 pm

It’s really only bullet hell stuff I don’t get on with, my reaction times are still perfectly fine for the likes of Doom and Overwatch...

Young punks, get off my lawn!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » January 23rd, 2020, 1:22 pm

Danmaku games are more about parsing patterns and fine motor skills than ‘twitch’ reactions.

clippa

Post by clippa » January 23rd, 2020, 4:11 pm

I've got a feeling a stroke or something else nasty will put a sudden stop to my preferred brand of sugar rush brainless twitching well before I reach my dotage, but when that happens, it's turn based stuff and roguelikes all the way for me.

I'm not big brained enough for the complicated stuff, but at the minute those are the sorts of games I play when I want to turn my brain off completely and relax, so maybe when I get to the point where my body is letting the side down, my brain will be reaching out more if it's not ready to relax, it'll be searching for something meatier to chew on and I'll be a dad game devotee!

Stanshall always has games where he goes "I like that, but I'll save it for the retirement home" :lol:
I think stardew valley was one of those for him. The way my brain works, I don't relax playing that game, I try to squeeze as much as I can out of each day, pelting around my farm pulling the milk out of cows, reaching up chickens and physically yanking out eggs, snorting a line of icing sugar and mowing the grass with my teeth, running to the shops and back, going mining if there's still half an hour to spare. You have all the time in the world in that game to just enjoy yourself and smell the flowers and I just can't help it.

We were sharing our farms one day on this forum and I shared mine - https://upload.farm/1CJ41Y

and everyone was really upset about it, saying it was ruthlessly efficient.
You make the most of the land, that's the whole idea! Everyone else had little walkways and ponds and nice areas where you could sit and stuff and mines just wall to wall battery farming. It didn't even occur to me to make it look nice, I was too concentrated on playing the games systems, you gotta make money! Gotta impress dead grandad. Push, push!

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » January 23rd, 2020, 4:19 pm

I mean, for years my main relaxation thing was to thrash my way through random Dynasty Warriors games. (These days I’m more likely to be watching speedruns on twitch and talking about random retro game stuff in the chat)

Suits

Post by Suits » January 23rd, 2020, 5:32 pm

Pro Evo is my brain dead go to.

Love it.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » January 23rd, 2020, 7:34 pm

I don't really have a go to brain dead game. I have found myself more recently needing to play a 'wind down' game before taking myself off to bed, though. Something like Flower or Grow Home, just anything relatively tranquil otherwise my brain is still too hyped up trying to get to sleep. When I was playing Sekiro I genuinely had a nightmare where ninjas were chasing me :lol:

Suits

Post by Suits » January 23rd, 2020, 10:13 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 7:34 pm
Something like Flower or Grow Home, just anything relatively tranquil otherwise my brain is still too hyped up trying to get to sleep. When I was playing Sekiro I genuinely had a nightmare where ninjas were chasing me :lol:
I get this alllll the time.

It’s horrific.

I get gnarly, almost fever dreams, over game mechanics and playing the game in my dream.

Sekiro gave it to me bad, Minecraft used to do it bad too.

Bloody horrible ain’t it 😄😄.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » January 23rd, 2020, 10:45 pm

Worst/best for me was playing Ikaruga. I would dream of my routes all night and then wake up stressed and nail it. Happened a few times and I started getting it again recently playing Mushihimesama Futari. It's restless sleep but it's extra processing time, as well. You internalise movements and spatial awareness.

Suits

Post by Suits » January 23rd, 2020, 10:48 pm

You’re mad.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » January 23rd, 2020, 10:51 pm

Stanshall wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 10:45 pm
Worst/best for me was playing Ikaruga. I would dream of my routes all night and then wake up stressed and nail it. Happened a few times and I started getting it again recently playing Mushihimesama Futari. It's restless sleep but it's extra processing time, as well. You internalise movements and spatial awareness.
I do this then still fail miserably when I wake up! At least your stressful dreams have a pay off. I’ll keep trying though, I practice every night ;)

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » January 24th, 2020, 6:07 am

Suits wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 10:48 pm
You’re mad.
I'm sure Ikaruga broke something up there. I've never been the same since.
Simonsloth wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 10:51 pm
I do this then still fail miserably when I wake up!
I wish this were a joke but I think it helped watching super play vids before bed so my brain internalised the right stuff! Otherwise, you're just repeating yourself. I can't believe I actually think this is true but as I say, I've never truly recovered.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » January 24th, 2020, 9:39 am

It's a bit of a thread tangent but yeah, pallet cleansers for me are generally visual novel games. Last night for example, after the shmups I fired up Phoenix Wright to pick up where I left off there for a bit, helps with the comedown and adrenaline you get from concentrating etc - pretty much every night ends with some visual novel game, even if it's just a few minutes.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » January 24th, 2020, 12:22 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 5:33 pm
Crimzon Clover is amazing. Finished it many times but no 1cc. The lock-on stuff is SO satisfying. I actually had no idea it was an arcade game, I thought it was an indie thing? Was it a proper cab?
Yup, it was built into a candy cab. But it's an arcade re-release or retooling of the PC game. The lead designer's a top DDP player, so I imagine he was pushing to release it to arcades as well.

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » January 25th, 2020, 12:06 am

I've legit had lots of dreams about games - some just using fragmentary elements, some total experiences. Perhaps the scariest one I've had in recent memory was last year, when I had an Apex Legends dream in first person. But I was physically there. And the danger was very real. I was hiding in the corner of a house hoping no one would find me, and when someone did, I felt genuine existential dread as I realized my shields were disappearing before my eyes.

It's really hard to describe - it put the disconnect between the screen and reality into perspective. Obviously, not being there, the experience is fun. You fight, you die, you have a laugh, you respawn. But if you were in that reality? It would be fucking terrifying. The horrors of war and combat are... Truly terrifying. Perhaps this is why horror games don't scare me? They're not something that could happen. But the idea of being huddled with a gun, hoping to every god in every pantheon that you don't receive a bullet to the brain... That's horrifying.

But on a lighter note, I'll be playing Metroid Prime 3 again this weekend. Michiel is welcome to watch a bit more of it. :P

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » January 25th, 2020, 12:58 am

Tried the first hour of Wolfenstein The New Order and hated it. Perfect use of PS Now to be honest, because I was going to buy it if I saw it cheap anywhere.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » January 25th, 2020, 1:10 am

Just to say that I didn't think the first hour or so of that game was much cop... but I stuck with it and ended up liking it so much that I played it until I got the Platinum.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » January 25th, 2020, 7:26 am

The first hour is very much generic 90s shooter then after a bit it starts to show it’s true colours and is quite brilliant! Give it a few more and you’ll see!