The Monster Hunter thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Benjo321

Re: The Monster Hunter thread

Post by Benjo321 »

Just made my way onto the high rank village quests :-D

The final boss was quite boring, but nice to have a new challenge on high rank. Much more difficult now, no handholding at all!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Just took down my first Royal Ludroth! It was actually easier than I was expecting. I tried going after one before, but I was totally outclassed, but this time round it wasn't too hard. It moves pretty crazily though.

The game really is the perfect thing to play while listening to a podcast too.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Yeah I found it was great podcast fodder. Should get back into this game soon but there's so many plates to spin, it'll probably be whenever there's a lull i'll come back.
Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex »

Absolutely addicted to this. It's real GOTY stuff.
Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex »

Any veterans give me some advice on trapping? I managed the Azuros but the Great Jaggi making life hard. I wouldn't mind as normally he's a great big pussy but capturing him alive is giving me a bit of a headache, especially with the meagre provisions they provide you with.
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

Capturing can be a pain in the arse (which is why I don't normally bother).

Make sure you wait until they start limping, if you do it before then, there's a very good chance it won't work. I recommend taking at least 1 other trap and plenty more tranquilisers on a capture mission (you can make shock and pitfall traps pretty easily).

If they don't go down after 2 tranqs you can try chucking a couple more on them
Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex »

I figured I could make traps in the field.

How do I make tranq bombs? I figure it's a bomb casing but looking through my combo list I'm at a loss at what to put with it.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Your best bet is to head to a wiki, man. I had one on my tablet at all times ready to answer my queries of which there were many.
Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex »

Kind of hard to wiki stuff when you're laid in bed playing or out and about though. :P
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I've made it up to the point where the quest for going up against that big monster that's terrorising the island is available. But it seems odd to me. Seems like it's way too early. I'm still only wearing Jaggi gear, which is the first set of stuff I've crafted, and I'm still apparently Hunter Rank 1. I thought it was supposed to go up through the single player missions. Or at least, that's what I read when I looked up the topic on the internet. Do I have to finish every single quest in a group (like the one star, two star, etc. quests) to raise my rank? Or is this somehow only the beginning of the single player quests, and I'll rank up after killing this thing? Am I really supposed to be able to go up against it now too? I don't really feel like I'm ready. I expected to have gone through at least a few more equipment sets before this point.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Doesn't the quest text say "repel the lagiacrus" and not "kill"?
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I don't know. I didn't take a close look at it yet, I just know I just got given it.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Ah, in which case if it is "repel" then you'll fight the Lagiacrus only a certain way and it'll run away.
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

Your Hunter Rank only changes when you do the online, so don't worry about that when you're doing solo.
Just concentrate on upgrading your gear so you stand a better chance later on. There's no one set of armour that is perfect, so some will work better against fire enemies bit be weaker to ice and water etc. Always handy to have different options available.

The Wroggi armour is a VERY useful one to have. There's a particular skill boost that has saved my ass on quite a few bosses.
Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex »

I buckled and got a WiiU. I've been playing this almost nightly since I managed to get a noob platoon together. It really is magnificent online, it really presses all my buttons from what I want from a game. You can feel yourself getting better as you work out attack patterns and other behaviours.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Great purchases (console and game)!
Sadly I didn't get to do as much Monster Huntering as I wanted before deadlines dictated that I had to move on.
I should love to return to it some time.

Feel free to add me on Wii U: RatsoAlbion.
Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex »

I've added you. Maybe when you find a slot in your busy schedule you can come and see a master at work. By that I mean you can watch me roll around aimlessly whilst blowing into my hunting horn. :D
Ashguyver

Post by Ashguyver »

hi all, just got a 3ds for little one and its asking on club nintendo for a recommendation code? Anyone out there have one at all? Apparently there is free game in it?

As ever, Nintendo website not the best at communicating!

Cheers
Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex »

I'm digging through the Nintendo website and I cannot find my recommendation code. I've sent them a support request, if they get back to me with a code it is yours.
GSMason

Post by GSMason »

More details here.
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Campaig ... 60510.html
I was emailed mine but I think it was in a banner at top of club nintendo site when I logged in too.