Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by Chopper »

I actually went back to Caligula's list to see if he had a vote that would push RE1 over the top but unfortunately he has voted for #4 :lol:

Caligula! Did you sell your console in 2015? It seems that Bloodborne is the most recent game on your list :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: September 10th, 2019, 5:43 pm I actually went back to Caligula's list to see if he had a vote that would push RE1 over the top but unfortunately he has voted for #4 :lol:
You little weasel! :lol:
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Caligulas Horse wrote: September 10th, 2019, 4:33 pm Incase anyone is interested, the other two games I got with my PS1 were Michael Owen's Soccer and the Batman & Robin movie game, you can probably see why I spent so much time with Rascal.
Got Olympic Soccer with mine. I wonder which was worse. :). (quick wikipedia search later) OH GOD THEY'RE BY THE SAME DEVELOPER!

More nitpicking on Chopper's wonderful work, Final Fantasy Tactics and FFT:WotL are the same game, the latter has a new translation, cutscenes and a few other touchups for the PSP (and mobile). Good job though. :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I agree about amalgamating FFT and WotL.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Huh, the bit I read about it (or rather, skimmed) seemed to indicate significant differences but I will take you guys' word for it. Updated :)
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

Chopper wrote: September 10th, 2019, 5:43 pm I actually went back to Caligula's list to see if he had a vote that would push RE1 over the top but unfortunately he has voted for #4 :lol:

Caligula! Did you sell your console in 2015? It seems that Bloodborne is the most recent game on your list :)
lol it's kind of the opposite, I had a few years where I was only occasionally replaying older games until earlier this year when I finally bought a PS4.
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

ColinAlonso wrote: September 10th, 2019, 8:33 pm
Caligulas Horse wrote: September 10th, 2019, 4:33 pm Incase anyone is interested, the other two games I got with my PS1 were Michael Owen's Soccer and the Batman & Robin movie game, you can probably see why I spent so much time with Rascal.
Got Olympic Soccer with mine. I wonder which was worse. :). (quick wikipedia search later) OH GOD THEY'RE BY THE SAME DEVELOPER!

More nitpicking on Chopper's wonderful work, Final Fantasy Tactics and FFT:WotL are the same game, the latter has a new translation, cutscenes and a few other touchups for the PSP (and mobile). Good job though. :D
haha it looks like the one I had doesn't even have a wikipedia page.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

I am absolutely loving the amount of work Chopper has put into this thread! Thank you! The insights are really fascinating!

Was proud at first to be on the graph of being one of the people that has the most games no-one else does, but then I thought maybe that means I like a load of crap games :lol:

You love what you love I guess!

It would be very interesting to see a breakdown by release year, to get an idea of the breadth of people's tastes over time. Not expecting you to actually do this of course Chopper as unless people have included dates on their lists (which most haven't - including me), that would be a lot of work!

The oldest on mine looks to be the TMNT coin-op released in '89, but then whether I actually played it that year I've got no idea (I was but 6 years old!). From there it's a pretty decent spread I think running from early '90s (e.g. Dune 2, Lemmings, Sonic on Game Gear - oh yes!) through to present-ish day (Forza Horizon 3 and Inside from 2016 look to be my most recent).
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Sinclair:

The graphs were a bit too big so I split them. Some caveats:

Only a few people did it by year, and a few others included the year to distinguish the game from another. This is just that data.
A lot of the earlier games undoubtedly come from Leon's list :)
With different release dates, some games appear in two years - see TNMT IV and Super Mario World right at the start there.
Spoiler: show

And the list this is based on, if it's easier to read
Year Game
1983 International Soccer
1984 Spy vs Spy
1988 Mega Man 2, Super Mario Bros. 3
1989 Ducktales , Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Tetris
1990 Fiendish Freddie's Big O Top Fun , Flimbo's Quest , Magicland Dizzy , Super Mario World
1991 Micro Machines , Super Mario World, Super Tennis , A Link to the Past, The Simpsons Arcade , TMNT IV: Turtles In Time
1992 Darkwing Duck,Final Fantasy V, Sonic 2, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Streets of Rage 2, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (2), Thunder Force IV, Turtles in Time
1993 Bucky o Hare, Kirby's Adventure, Link's Awakening, Mega Man X, Starwing, Street Fighter 2
1994 SimCity 2000, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Super Metroid, Tie Fighter, Wind Jammers
1995 Chrono Trigger, Terranigma, The Raiden Project, Trials of Mana
1996 Command & Conquer: Red Alert, Wipeout 2097, Z
1997 Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Championship Manager Season 97/98, Lylat Wars, Mega Man Legends, Quake 2
1998 Einhander, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Ocarina of Time, Thief
1999 Half-Life, Soul Calibur
2000 Counter Strike, Deus Ex, Mega Man Legends 2, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Shenmue, Spider-Man, Majora's Mask
2001 Grandia 2, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Rez, Silent Hill 2
2002 Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Kingdom Hearts, Metroid Fusion, Resident Evil
2003 Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
2004 Half-Life 2 (3), Ninja Gaiden, Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen
2005 Killer7, Resident Evil 4, Star Wars Battlefront 2, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
2006 .hack//GU: Last Recode, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, Twilight Princess (2)
2007 BioShock, Mass Effect, Super Mario Galaxy
2008 Burnout Paradise, Far Cry 2, Football Manager 2008, Mount & Blade, PES 2008, Valkyria Chronicles
2009 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors,Batman: Arkham Asylum, Demon's Souls, Plants Vs Zombies
2010 Bayonetta, Fallout: New Vegas (2), Halo: Reach, Metro 2033/Last Light, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, NIER, Rock Band 3, Singularity, Vanquish, Xenoblade Chronicles
2011 Bulletstorm, Dark Souls (2), Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, Portal 2(2), Rayman Origins (2), The Binding of Isaac, To the Moon
2012 Dear Esther, Dishonored, FIFA 13, Hotline Miami, Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, Mark of the Ninja
2013 DmC: Devil May Cry, Gone Home
2014 80 Days, Threes!
2015 Albino Lullaby, Bloodborne, Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, Near Death, Ori and the Blind Forest, SOMA, The Beginner's Guide, The Witcher 3, Titanfall 2
2016 BlazBlue: Central Fiction, DOOM (3), Firewatch, Hitman
2017 Cuphead, Earth Defense Force 2017, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, Hollow Knight, Horizon: Zero Dawn ,Sonic Mania, Breath of the Wild
2018 Hitman 2, Iconoclasts, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Ys VIII: The Lacrimosa of Dana
2019 Metro Exodus, Resident Evil 2
Sinclair Gregstrum

Brilliant! Someone bestow the title of 'Official Cane & Rinse Statistician' on this man!

1992 getting a lot of love. I'm guessing that shows a lot of us may have been in peak childhood years around then, and that it was just a great year for games obviously!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

:D

I'm probably flogging a dead horse at this stage but I can't stop messing around with this data trying to extract some sense from it.

I've now discarded all the alphabetically ranked lists; we have lost a lot of Big Hitters, but c'est la vie. :lol:

New, ranked top ten to follow. You won't believe what's at number eight!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

The official Top Ten, based on Ranking!

This is taken from all the games that have been ranked 1-50 (or for some of us, 1-5 or 1-10) by twenty total members.

Don't mind the figure - that's just the weighting I gave them. I tried to put a bit of daylight between your #1 game and your #50 game, for example. I tried out a number of (simple) weightings, and the top ten was pretty consistent across all of them.

For context, FF7 here appeared on eight member's list, out of 20 total, and it appeared in the top five a stunning five times.

RE4 was in four people's lists, and appeared in the top ten twice.

Bioshock holds firm, but slips from #1 to #8.

Out of the twenty people, no one had the same game at #1.

Ksub - I did add the MGS 3's together this time, but they only rank at #29 (out of 589 unique games so not too bad).
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Pretty cool Top 10! I can live with that. :)

Interesting that FFIX is somehow surpassing FFX by quite a large margin - I was always under the impression X was more of a fan favorite.

One other thing worth mentioning is that some of us followed a strict '1 per series' rule while most didn't. I wonder if and how a more unified approach might have changed things.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 11th, 2019, 3:01 pm Pretty cool Top 10! I can live with that. :)

Interesting that FFIX is somehow surpassing FFX by quite a large margin - I was always under the impression X was more of a fan favorite.

One other thing worth mentioning is that some of us followed a strict '1 per series' rule while most didn't. I wonder if and how a more unified approach might have changed things.
Well, I think it was just you doing this, as we kicked Simon's list to the curb. :lol:

However, it was largely the same people that voted for both Final Fantasies, though most people had them separated by a fairly wide margin. Only Mr Ixolite and Caligula's Horse had both in their top ten. Some back of the envelope calculations indicate that if only one was allowed, FF7 would still keep top spot regardless, but FF9 would likely drift off the end of the graph and out of the top ten (but not that far out of the top ten - depending on whether it still had a top ten vote or two). Portal 2 ( :o ) would slide in to the #10 spot.

Mr Ixolite & CH - this is just an interesting side conversation, no aspersions are being cast on your votes.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: September 11th, 2019, 3:36 pm Well, I think it was just you doing this, as we kicked Simon's list to the curb. :lol:
I dunno man, it made the most sense to me at the time! :lol:

It helps to focus on what is truly the most important thing to me in any given series and gives the one or the other underdog the chance to shine a little. My Top 50 would be incredibly boring to read otherwise.

Out of curiosity so I don't have to scour the entire thread again: Who is the other gentle soul with RE4 in his/her Top 10?
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Cornelius_Smiff, his list was hosted on Giant Bomb.
Sinclair Gregstrum

We need to have a three line whip of list submitters to get everyone to rank their lists 1-50 so that we can make the data even more robust and get a bigger sample size (me included!).

The punishment for non-compliance is expulsion from the C&R forum!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Ok, I’ll be off then.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: September 11th, 2019, 4:14 pm We need to have a three line whip of list submitters to get everyone to rank their lists 1-50 so that we can make the data even more robust and get a bigger sample size (me included!).

The punishment for non-compliance is expulsion from the C&R forum!
Ranked, Year and System! :lol:

Just to get these out of the way, here's the 11-30 ranked graphs. The games that are in the middle of everyone's list - the Fallouts and Skyrims and GTAs are starting to creep in. I might have a more interesting graph or two tomorrow.

Witcher 3 probably suffering from the older polls. I can't see Fallout3 being above it if everybody was up to date.