Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by Flabyo »

If I had to rank it, I never would’ve posted it cause I wouldn't be able to.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 9th, 2019, 4:37 pm It would have been interesting to see the popularity index (graph #2) if everybody had ranked their list, though.
100% this. At the moment we are limited to counting stats only - the alphabetically ranked lists are a bigger problem than I originally thought - basically you can strike off anything that begins with A-B-C etc, including Chrono Trigger unfortunately :(

I had originally decided to randomise those lists, but I thought, people will complain if I put Crazy Taxi down as their favourite game ever. But in hindsight it would have been more 'accurate'. And we could have had some real fun.*

*Actual fun debatable.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Chopper, I’m so impressed. Well done!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Top effort there Chops, very good mate 👍🏽.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Nice number crunching!
And thank you for including mine, even though it's 15 years and many hundreds of games out of date.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Great work, Chopper! Fascinating stuff.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Nice one Chopper! Haha!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Cheers folks!

@Combine Hunter - :lol:
ratsoalbion wrote: September 9th, 2019, 10:17 pm And thank you for including mine, even though it's 15 years and many hundreds of games out of date.
And you aren't even the 'Most Eclectic' with that list, the games on there must have really stood the test of time!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

As with Josh, my tastes have always tended to align with the ‘critical consensus’.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

There is always going to be a recency bias with these things, so it's less interesting to see what new additions crop up than what games have so concretely stayed in our collective concensus, that even 10 - 15 years later, they still make the cut. That's when you know a game goes beyond just being something you enjoyed.
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

Combine Hunter wrote: September 10th, 2019, 12:50 pm There is always going to be a recency bias with these things, so it's less interesting to see what new additions crop up than what games have so concretely stayed in our collective concensus, that even 10 - 15 years later, they still make the cut. That's when you know a game goes beyond just being something you enjoyed.
Yeah I'm just finishing mine and one of my main reasons for wanting to post it is so that I can come back in a few years and see what has changed. I think in regards to recency bias it kind of works both ways, I was a lot more forgiving of games as I was growing up. I'm just about finished with Spiderman, I think it's a great game buut I found the MJ & Miles missions really tedious and I think it won't make it on the list with the memory of those missions still fresh; I can't say for sure but I think if I played the game at 13 I would have just got on with the 'boring' missions and would have mostly forgotten about them by now.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Best Of...

Spoiler: show

Caligulas Horse

Here's my list (Not meant to be in order). I tried to only pick one game per series but I couldn't decide between FF9 or 7 so they both went in.

I had PES 05 in there but really there are several PES games from 2003-7 that all just blur into one, it felt a bit weird putting any of them on the list alone.
Spoiler: show
1. Halo 3
2. FF9
3. FF7
4. GTA: San Andreas
5. Metal Gear Solid
6. Streets of Rage 2
7. Onimusha 2
8. The Day of The Tentacle
9. Dynasty Warriors 3
10. Sam & Max Hit The Road
11. Hitman: Blood Money
12. Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven
13. Golden Axe
14. Suikoden 2
15. Age of Empires 2
16. Counter Strike
17. Silent Hill 2
18. Time Splitters: Future Perfect
19. Time Crisis 2
20. Red Faction
21. Red Dead Redemption
22. Shadow of Colossus
23. The Warriors
24. Deadly Premonition
25. Resident Evil 4
26. Left 4 Dead
27. Fallout: New Vegas
28. Pokemon Gold
29. Earthbound/Mother 2
30. Tekken Tag Tournament
31. Ape Escape
32. Rascal
33. Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PS2)
34. Deadspace 2
35. N+
36. Spyro: Year of the Dragon
37. Sonic 2
38. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
39. Super Smash Bros: Melee
40. Mirrors Edge
41. Dead Rising
42. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
43. 007: Agent Under Fire
44. Crash Bandicoot: Warped
45. Parasite Eve
46. Bloodborne
47. Monster Rancher 2
48. Marvel vs Capcom 2
49. Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors
50. SmackDown! Shut Your Mouth
It's quite a sentimental list for me, the clearest example of that being the inclusion of Rascal lol.

I've seen people call Rascal the worst game ever, it definitely isn't but it is an extremely flawed game. It's a platformer with rubbish tank controls and an uncontrollable camera, anyone who plays it now would think it's terrible but it was one of the first games I owned or played and I loved it, it's a weird time travel story which means you play every level in the past, present and future- I still think that's really cool :ugeek:. I used to play it with my mum as well and we still talk about it every now and then, it's quite an important game for me but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because it kind of sucks. Soundtrack has some bangers though.
Caligulas Horse

Incase anyone is interested, the other two games I got with my PS1 were Michael Owen's Soccer and the Batman & Robin movie game, you can probably see why I spent so much time with Rascal.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: September 10th, 2019, 3:41 pm Image
Not to criticize the almighty algorithm or anything, but Magical_Isopod, Combine Hunter and ThirdDrawing all have the Resident Evil Remake in their list, so it definitely has more than one vote.

The downsides of sending a machine to do a human's job, Agent Smith. :P
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

You know, I knew you would pull me up on something. I actually thought it would be the enhanced versions of the MGS games :lol:

Thirddrawing doesn't have it on the list I used.
Isopod threw me off by only distinguishing it by year of release. Take one from column A and add it on :)

EDIT: Ah, I see my mistake. I stand corrected (though am waiting for the incoming history lecture). All these damn remakes...
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: September 10th, 2019, 5:03 pm You know, I knew you would pull me up on something. I actually thought it would be the enhanced versions of the MGS games :lol:
Good call! Because Ghost World, DarthCuddles, Todinho, Combine Hunter, myself, Simonsloth, ThirdDrawing and AndrewBrown all have one version or another of MGS3, which gives it 8 votes combined. Snake Eater and Subsistence are both the same game, man. :P

Here is TD's list with REmake at #14 for your fact-checking pleasure. I can already see your little edit in my previz window but I'm leaving this in because I'm being an insufferable prick today.

Sorry not sorry for being a hardass about this, we both know it had to happen. You come at my darlings, you best not miss. :lol:
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

If you add the remakes to the first column, then they are neck and neck with RE4. It's a toss-up really, which is better ;)

MGS - I am aware of the version difficulty, but being unfamiliar with the games, I have to accept what people wrote down. Maybe they were just being exact, or maybe they actually think that version is better than the other version, or a significantly different game. Who knows?

Anyway, you are all big enough boys to figure that stuff out on your own. It's right there on the graphs :lol:

I can see I'm going to have to watch my step. ;)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: September 10th, 2019, 5:33 pm It's a toss-up really, which is better ;)
Now that is cute. :heart:

Chopper wrote: September 10th, 2019, 5:33 pm I can see I'm going to have to watch my step. ;)
I'm just messing with you, my dear. Thanks for putting it all together.