Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Post Reply
User avatar
Chopper
Member
Posts: 1135
Joined: April 16th, 2013, 4:35 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by Chopper » May 21st, 2018, 4:00 pm

Bloodborne is the other, I forgot to include it in the 11-20 list :oops:

I meant to say actually, that RDR surprised me on your list. To me, it's the pinnacle of the Cinematic Action genre; I never thought the gameplay was that great, but the incredible job it did at being a Western took my breath away.

Surprising, with you being so dogmatic about your mechanics ;)

User avatar
Spacefarer
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: February 12th, 2018, 8:10 pm
Location: Foundry

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by Spacefarer » May 21st, 2018, 4:14 pm

Combine Hunter wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 1:40 pm
How are you guys able to rank these? I can't do it.
SCIENCE! :geek:

What I did was give each one a rating out of ten for gameplay, music, graphics, narrative, and lasting appeal. (There's a bit more to it than that, obvs.) Then fuddle around with decimal points so that I didn't have two in the same spot.
Seems really cold and detached now that I say it, though...

User avatar
Stanshall
Member
Posts: 1579
Joined: January 31st, 2016, 5:45 am

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by Stanshall » May 21st, 2018, 4:26 pm

Flabyo wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 3:45 pm
I might do chronological.
It was the best way for me to look at it, mostly because I would have forgotten even more than I did if I didn't go through one format at a time.

User avatar
kintaris
Member
Posts: 442
Joined: May 7th, 2017, 9:44 pm
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Contact:

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by kintaris » May 21st, 2018, 4:34 pm

I'm only ranking mine for a bit of masochistic fun. In reality there are clusters that are loved equally.

I enjoy the "yeah, but if you HAD to pick one over the other" questions in life because it really makes me think about what it is I like about the things I enjoy.

User avatar
KSubzero1000
Member
Posts: 2541
Joined: August 26th, 2015, 7:56 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 21st, 2018, 4:41 pm

Chopper wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 4:00 pm
RDR surprised me on your list. To me, it's the pinnacle of the Cinematic Action genre; I never thought the gameplay was that great, but the incredible job it did at being a Western took my breath away.

Surprising, with you being so dogmatic about your mechanics ;)
Ha, fair enough. I can be a bit of a zealot sometimes, but it really depends on the type of game we're talking about. My line of thinking is: If you're going to make an action game first and foremost, then your (usually combat) mechanics have to stand up to scrutiny. That's why I have beef with Naughty Dog and Ninja Theory. But I also think that different genres should be evaluated according to different factors. I have two adventure / visual novels in my Top 15, an unplayable piece of jank at #18, some hippie button holder at #29, and a contrived feels delivery system at #44. So it's not like I don't care about any other aspects! :P

I agree with you on RDR. The gameplay really isn't that great, but the world-building and overall Western atmosphere are absolutely fantastic. It feels like an open world with a purpose, with the protagonist being a tiny part of this brutal and undomesticated environment. The American Frontier will probably be the last period in History in which people are populating an (allegedly) uncharted land, and the game really captures this specific combination of the dangerous beauty of Nature and the sophisticated ugliness of Humanity. I'm also a big fan of thematic representations of the three-act structure, and the different locales in this game are really hitting the right note for me. To say nothing of some of the unexpected, powerful story beats.

I've yet to really dive into Horizon. I'm secretly hoping it'll manage to recapture the same raw sense of wonder and isolation.


PS: That's also why I like non-revisionist Western films.

User avatar
Simonsloth
Member
Posts: 989
Joined: November 22nd, 2017, 6:17 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by Simonsloth » May 21st, 2018, 6:09 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 4:41 pm
Chopper wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 4:00 pm
RDR surprised me on your list. To me, it's the pinnacle of the Cinematic Action genre; I never thought the gameplay was that great, but the incredible job it did at being a Western took my breath away.

Surprising, with you being so dogmatic about your mechanics ;)
Ha, fair enough. I can be a bit of a zealot sometimes, but it really depends on the type of game we're talking about. My line of thinking is: If you're going to make an action game first and foremost, then your (usually combat) mechanics have to stand up to scrutiny. That's why I have beef with Naughty Dog and Ninja Theory.
Strangely I’m the complete opposite. If a game has an excellent narrative but medicocre mechanics I’m much more likely to enjoy it than if it’s the other way around.

I think that’s why I bounce off platinum games.

Still making my list

User avatar
kintaris
Member
Posts: 442
Joined: May 7th, 2017, 9:44 pm
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Contact:

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by kintaris » May 21st, 2018, 8:07 pm

It absolutely depends on the game, the genre and my mood as to whether a game's mechanics or narrative is more important. Hell, sometimes it can be a janky mess with an awful narrative and still win me over - hence TES V Skyrim continues to creep up my list.

User avatar
Cornelius_Smiff
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 2:21 pm

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by Cornelius_Smiff » May 22nd, 2018, 10:15 am


User avatar
Suits
Member
Posts: 2391
Joined: October 28th, 2015, 2:25 pm
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by Suits » May 22nd, 2018, 1:41 pm

Cornelius_Smiff wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 10:15 am
Phew! All done. Here is my list.

https://www.giantbomb.com/profile/corne ... es/363074/
Ha, Super Mario All-Stars is a bit of a cheat :D .

User avatar
Cornelius_Smiff
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: February 15th, 2018, 2:21 pm

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by Cornelius_Smiff » May 22nd, 2018, 5:18 pm

Suits wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 1:41 pm
Cornelius_Smiff wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 10:15 am
Phew! All done. Here is my list.

https://www.giantbomb.com/profile/corne ... es/363074/
Ha, Super Mario All-Stars is a bit of a cheat :D .
I know, I know! :roll:

But then it was the first time I had experienced each of those games to be fair hence I was playing it by the book.

User avatar
Suits
Member
Posts: 2391
Joined: October 28th, 2015, 2:25 pm
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by Suits » May 22nd, 2018, 5:42 pm

Cornelius_Smiff wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 5:18 pm
Suits wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 1:41 pm
Cornelius_Smiff wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 10:15 am
Phew! All done. Here is my list.

https://www.giantbomb.com/profile/corne ... es/363074/
Ha, Super Mario All-Stars is a bit of a cheat :D .
I know, I know! :roll:

But then it was the first time I had experienced each of those games to be fair hence I was playing it by the book.
I’m only messing mate, it’s your list.

Besides, those 16BIT versions of those games may well be your favoured versions, so it’s more than applicable :) .

User avatar
Chopper
Member
Posts: 1135
Joined: April 16th, 2013, 4:35 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by Chopper » May 23rd, 2018, 6:48 am

KSubzero1000 wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 4:41 pm

Ha, fair enough. I can be a bit of a zealot sometimes, but it really depends on the type of game we're talking about. My line of thinking is: If you're going to make an action game first and foremost, then your (usually combat) mechanics have to stand up to scrutiny. That's why I have beef with Naughty Dog and Ninja Theory. But I also think that different genres should be evaluated according to different factors. I have two adventure / visual novels in my Top 15, an unplayable piece of jank at #18, some hippie button holder at #29, and a contrived feels delivery system at #44. So it's not like I don't care about any other aspects! :P

I agree with you on RDR. The gameplay really isn't that great, but the world-building and overall Western atmosphere are absolutely fantastic. It feels like an open world with a purpose, with the protagonist being a tiny part of this brutal and undomesticated environment. The American Frontier will probably be the last period in History in which people are populating an (allegedly) uncharted land, and the game really captures this specific combination of the dangerous beauty of Nature and the sophisticated ugliness of Humanity. I'm also a big fan of thematic representations of the three-act structure, and the different locales in this game are really hitting the right note for me. To say nothing of some of the unexpected, powerful story beats.

I've yet to really dive into Horizon. I'm secretly hoping it'll manage to recapture the same raw sense of wonder and isolation.


PS: That's also why I like non-revisionist Western films.
All good stuff, thanks! I hope Horizon goes well for you :)

User avatar
Simonsloth
Member
Posts: 989
Joined: November 22nd, 2017, 6:17 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by Simonsloth » May 25th, 2018, 12:11 pm

I was going to rank these but I ended up going with alphabetical order because I would still be shuffling them around long after this thread was dead. There's a distinct lack of "old" games as I think my tastes change so frequently.

I was also going to go with one game per series like KSub but my love of MGS won out.

Spoiler: show
1 Abe's Oddysee
2 Arkham Asylum
3 Biochock Infinite
4 Blackwell Legacy
5 Burnout 3: Takedown
6 Circuit Breakers
7 Day of the Tentacel
8 Dead Space
9 Fallout: New Vegas
10 Gabriel Knight 2
11 God of War 2
12 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
13 Heavy Rain
14 Hellblade
15 Inside
16 Knights of the Old Republic
17 Last Of Us
18 Left 4 Dead 2
19 Mass Effect 2
20 Max Payne 3
21 Metal Gear solid
22 Metal Gear Solid : Peace Walker
23 Metal Gear Solid 3
24 Metal Gear Solid V
25 Monkey Island
26 Portal 2
27 Poy Poy 2
28 Red Dead Redemption
29 Resident Evil 4
30 Rock Band
31 Rogue Legacy
32 Sam and Max Hit the Road
33 Sensible World of Soccer
34 Shadow of Memories
35 Shadow of the Colossus
36 Silent Hill 3
37 Skyrim
38 Soma
39 Tekken 2
40 Tex Murphy and the Pandora Directive
41 That Dragon Cancer
42 The Walking Dead
43 Theme Hospital
44 Timesplitters 2
45 Turrican 2
46 Uncharted 2
47 Virtue's Last Reward
48 What remains of Edith Finch
49 Witcher 3
50 Worms Armageddon

User avatar
ThirdDrawing
Member
Posts: 313
Joined: October 13th, 2016, 12:33 pm
Location: Asia

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by ThirdDrawing » May 28th, 2018, 4:13 pm

Saw this thread and gave it a lot of thought. There's a definite theme to my list. I have played a lot of RPGs.

Edit - Ugh. Had to edit because I forgot one game.

Spoiler: show
1 Suikoden 2
2 Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
3 Silent Hill 2
4 Pool of Radiance (C 64)
5 Eternal Darkness
6 Knights of the Old Republic
7 Battletech - The Crescent Hawk's Revenge (C 64)
8 Grand Theft Auto 3
9 Final Fantasy 9
10 Grandia
11. Zork
12 Skies of Arcadia Legends
13 Shin Megami Tensei Persona 2 - Eternal Punishment
14 Resident Evil (Gamecube)
15 Legacy of Kain - Soul Reaver
16 Nier
17 Xenoblade Chronicles
18 Legend of Mana
19 Chrono Cross
20 Bruce Lee
21 Rayman 2 - The Great Escape
22 Super Mario Bros. 2
23 H.E.R.O.
24 Ico
25 Shenmue
26 Need for Speed High Stakes
27 Etrian Odyssey IV
28 Colony Wars - Red Sun
29 Metal Gear Solid 3 - Snake Eater
30 Shadow Hearts
31 Deadly Premonition
32 Hotel Dusk
33 Tekken Tag Tournament
34 Ape Escape 3
35 Hydro Thunder
36 Descent
37 Defender of the Crown
38 Tenchu - Wrath of Heaven
39 Katamari Damacy
40 Wipeout Fury HD
41 F-Zero GX
42 Lode Runner
43 Columns
44 Voodoo Castle (Vic 20)
45 Mister Mosquito
46 Incredible Crisis
47 Shamus
48 Mr. Driller
49 Dig Dug
50 Crystal Castles

User avatar
Simonsloth
Member
Posts: 989
Joined: November 22nd, 2017, 6:17 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by Simonsloth » May 28th, 2018, 4:47 pm

ThirdDrawing wrote:
May 28th, 2018, 4:13 pm
Saw this thread and gave it a lot of thought. There's a definite theme to my list. I have played a lot of RPGs.

Spoiler: show
1 Suikoden 2
2 Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
3 Silent Hill 2
4 Pool of Radiance (C 64)
5 Eternal Darkness
6 Knights of the Old Republic
7 Battletech - The Crescent Hawk's Revenge (C 64)
8 Grand Theft Auto 3
9 Final Fantasy 9
10 Grandia
11. Zork
12 Skies of Arcadia Legends
13 Shin Megami Tensei Persona 2 - Eternal Punishment
14 Resident Evil (Gamecube)
15 Legacy of Kain - Soul Reaver
16 Nier
17 Xenoblade Chronicles
18 Legend of Mana
19 Chrono Cross
20 Bruce Lee
21 Rayman 2 - The Great Escape
22 Super Mario Bros. 2
23 H.E.R.O.
24 Ico
25 Shenmue
26 Need for Speed High Stakes
27 Etrian Odyssey IV
28 Colony Wars - Red Sun
29 Metal Gear Solid 3 - Snake Eater
30 Shadow Hearts
31 Deadly Premonition
32 Hotel Dusk
33 Tekken Tag Tournament
34 Ape Escape 3
35 Hydro Thunder
36 Descent
37 Muramasa - The Demon Blade
38 Tenchu - Wrath of Heaven
39 Katamari Damacy
40 Wipeout Fury HD
41 F-Zero GX
42 Lode Runner
43 Columns
44 Star Fox 64
45 Mister Mosquito
46 Incredible Crisis
47 Shamus
48 Mr. Driller
49 Dig Dug
50 Crystal Castles
Incredible crisis! What a game!

User avatar
ThirdDrawing
Member
Posts: 313
Joined: October 13th, 2016, 12:33 pm
Location: Asia

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by ThirdDrawing » May 28th, 2018, 5:37 pm

The last level is incredibly (no pun intended) brutal. I ended up having to play it with a friend and we switched back and forth when our hands started cramping.

User avatar
Simonsloth
Member
Posts: 989
Joined: November 22nd, 2017, 6:17 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by Simonsloth » May 28th, 2018, 5:43 pm

ThirdDrawing wrote:
May 28th, 2018, 5:37 pm
The last level is incredibly (no pun intended) brutal. I ended up having to play it with a friend and we switched back and forth when our hands started cramping.
Back in my heyday I was a international track and field champion (unofficially) so I was well practiced at button mashing.

I think the last time I played it I got cramp and that was nowhere near the end! You’ve made me want to dig out my old copy! I hope I didn’t sell it!

User avatar
ThirdDrawing
Member
Posts: 313
Joined: October 13th, 2016, 12:33 pm
Location: Asia

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by ThirdDrawing » May 28th, 2018, 5:49 pm

Simonsloth wrote:
May 28th, 2018, 5:43 pm
ThirdDrawing wrote:
May 28th, 2018, 5:37 pm
The last level is incredibly (no pun intended) brutal. I ended up having to play it with a friend and we switched back and forth when our hands started cramping.
Back in my heyday I was a international track and field champion (unofficially) so I was well practiced at button mashing.

I think the last time I played it I got cramp and that was nowhere near the end! You’ve made me want to dig out my old copy! I hope I didn’t sell it!
I recently watched Vidiots do a playthrough of the first few levels.

If you find your copy, do a playthrough on Youtube!

I am dying to play it again, but it's back in Canada right now and I have no way to play it. :/

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 5078
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 10:36 am
Location: Redditch, UK.
Contact:

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by Alex79uk » May 28th, 2018, 6:29 pm

Ha I played Incredible Crisis last year and loved it. Don't think I finished it, but it was a lot of fun.

User avatar
Simonsloth
Member
Posts: 989
Joined: November 22nd, 2017, 6:17 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by Simonsloth » May 28th, 2018, 6:53 pm

ThirdDrawing wrote:
May 28th, 2018, 5:49 pm
Simonsloth wrote:
May 28th, 2018, 5:43 pm
ThirdDrawing wrote:
May 28th, 2018, 5:37 pm
The last level is incredibly (no pun intended) brutal. I ended up having to play it with a friend and we switched back and forth when our hands started cramping.
Back in my heyday I was a international track and field champion (unofficially) so I was well practiced at button mashing.

I think the last time I played it I got cramp and that was nowhere near the end! You’ve made me want to dig out my old copy! I hope I didn’t sell it!
I recently watched Vidiots do a playthrough of the first few levels.

If you find your copy, do a playthrough on Youtube!

I am dying to play it again, but it's back in Canada right now and I have no way to play it. :/
I’m a streaming dunce if I’m honest. I wouldn’t know how to screen capture a psone game. I suppose I could press record on a vhs tape recorder.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests