Flashback (and Fade to Black if you like)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Flashback (and Fade to Black if you like)

Post by ratsoalbion »

So 21 years on a remake has finally been announced for XBLA/PSN. The reveal trailer looks... hmmm:

Some of the original team are involved but apparently they were also involved in last year's Amy which I understand was an abomination.

Now I'm also interested in the iOS version. It came out in 2009 but has since been withdrawn. Did anyone play it? Was it any good or (as I imagine) a controls related disaster?
Alex79

Re: Flashback (and Fade to Black if you like)

Post by Alex79 »

It wasn't great. The emulation wasn't bad, but as you rightly suspect, the controls were awful to the point it was barely playable. If anyone has a jailbroken device the game is relatively easy to come by. I think with the best will in the world Flashback would have never worked well on a touchscreen.

As for this remake, the original is probably still in my top 10 of all time so I'm certainly interested. I'd have been happy with a shot for shot HD version though, I just hope this 're-imagining' doesn't change too much. The mention of 'character progression' and upgradables does ring an alarm bell, I'll admit.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes, the ideal scenario would be as with the remakes of Pitfall!, Impossible Mission, Ninja Gaiden and several others (that escape me right now) that the entire original game is in there running under perfect emulation too.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Oh dear! That trailer really didn't do anything for me. The original still oozes style in my opinion.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

A straight HD remake for around £7 would fly off the digital shelves. One of my favourites but I always forget about it.
Sean

Post by Sean »

One of my all-time favorites. I can still recall the menu music, without hesitation. I remember, at the time, thinking it was the best looking game I'd ever seen. Rolling and shooting was so awesome. And, the story was just really cool and different for games at that time. Or at least, different from the games I was playing. Man, I have to dig up my old Genesis cartridge. I know it's laying around somewhere.

This remake is so concerning though. As you said, it's by the same guys who made Amy, and, I got about 3 chapters in on that game before officially deciding to never go back. I bought Amy specifically because it was by the guys who made Flashback. I saw the awful reviews, but, somehow just couldn't ever believe that the guys who made one of my absolute favorite games, could have made such a turd. But, sure enough...yeah, that was brutal.

Just everything they're saying about the remake is worrying. A new xp system. Why? Voice acting and new areas? Nooooo!

I get wanting to make your old game accessible for new audiences, but, it's like if Metallica re-recorded Kill 'Em All in 2013. It's mostly the same lineup, but, they're now the same guys who made St. Anger. Just wouldn't be the same.
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

I would be much happier if they added some simple HD polish much like the Another World 15th Anniversary PC re-do.
Hearing about the trailer got me super-excited. Watching it made me sad. It might turn out ok, but I'm very cautious.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Has anyone played the remake yet? I'll wait till it comes out on PSN but I know it's out on 360 already, who's had a go?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I've all but finished the remake, you can read my review here if you like:
http://home.bt.com/entertainment/games/ ... 3826214299

It's deeply mediocre, but at least you get the original game thrown in for your 800 MSP.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I saw the Giant Bomb Quick Look on the game. Looked utterly dull, and like the developers didn't really care about what they were making either.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

DomsBeard wrote:A straight HD remake for around £7 would fly off the digital shelves. One of my favourites but I always forget about it.
Bought it and played through the first couple if levels yesterday. It's "ok"
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hmm, think I'm going to be giving this a miss, then. I've been wanting to replay the original recently but held off for the remake. Seeing comments and reviews that really don't sound that appealing to me I think I'll just play it on my old Megadrive instead!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote:Hmm, think I'm going to be giving this a miss, then. I've been wanting to replay the original recently but held off for the remake. Seeing comments and reviews that really don't sound that appealing to me I think I'll just play it on my old Megadrive instead!
It's nice having the original sat on my harddrive, the remake is far more easier. It looks good though but the main character has been given an awful voice, sounds like he should be in a teen movie. I never imagined playing the original that if he could talk Conrad would say "awesome-sauce" ;)
Sean

Post by Sean »

I played the demo over the weekend.

The "awesome-sauce" moment almost made me cry. So, so, SOOO embarrassing. Can't believe how bad the voice acting was. It all just seemed so uninspired.

Goddamnit.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I always thought of Conrad as being French Canadian when I played the original game. No idea why.
kappisun

Post by kappisun »

Sean wrote:
I get wanting to make your old game accessible for new audiences, but, it's like if Metallica re-recorded Kill 'Em All in 2013. It's mostly the same lineup, but, they're now the same guys who made St. Anger. Just wouldn't be the same.
Scarily enough I heard a rumour that's exactly what Metallica were going to do. Were going to call it by its original title. Metal up your ass
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Off topic but I looked St Anger. Was my first and only metallica experience. I am a weirdo. Bye!
Sean

Post by Sean »

They were my favorite band, growing up. And, still slightly off-topic, "Fade to Black" is one of their best songs!