Dragon's Dogma

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sean

Re: Dragon's Dogma and Dark Arisen

Post by Sean »

Scrustle wrote:No problem. I can see why finding a game you love so much kind of ruins others. I've had similar experiences.

I didn't mean to come across as being antagonistic either, if I did. It's just sometimes when I hear certain phrases that people like to throw around in gaming it triggers something with me. I'm sure you'll agree there's no shortage of people saying stupid things about games on the internet.
No worries! I know the feeling all too well. And, I'll totally admit that was a trolling comment on my end. I gotta work on eliminating that shit from my vocabulary.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I started playing this for the first time last night.
I got through the first mission, where I guess they're giving you a look at some later game mechanics and giving you a go with a high level character. Then I spent an hour carefully making a character that looked absolutely nothing like me!
Then I spent some time running around and smashing up crates. I can see there's a lot of game for me to walk through, and I'm hoping that it's something I'm able to do in small chunks.
To me (from what little I've played) it feels a lot like a grown up, more fast version of Fable.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I don't think I spent an hour on character creation, like yourself, but, it is one of the more dense creation toolsets I've seen. Really appreciate that the game gives you all options, regardless of gender.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I used to spend forever on designing characters in games, and often not really being totally happy with what I created after playing for a while. So I've settled on to the habit of not really spending much time on it. Usually only bothering with overall body size and shape, and hairstyle. I usually leave the face alone, or only change it a little. Most of the time the default face looks fine, and I often just end up ruining it. Or at least wasting my time in creating something that doesn't really look much better, or any better at all.

But that said I did really like the depth of customisation Dragon's Dogma had. I really liked the way you could customise the gate of your character, and on a sliding scale too. After all, in many games, it doesn't really matter that much whether your nose is angled one degree differently to another character's when you all walk around like clones.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

In the end, I just generated a random lady character.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

If you can still import Pawns from friends then sweet talk Darren Forman and Sean Bell into adding you on Xbox live they have very handy pawns.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I second this advice.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

well, I didn't want to pull in too many high level pawns.
I'm only a level 5, and having a level 60 pawn seems a bit like it would make the game somewhat unbalanced.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:well, I didn't want to pull in too many high level pawns.
I'm only a level 5, and having a level 60 pawn seems a bit like it would make the game somewhat unbalanced.
I thought it would be like that but it's not to be honest.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

So it won't impact at all if I'm low level and have super high level ultra wizard pawns buzzing around me?
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

You probably won't be able to summon a pawn with a level that high so early on though. You need Rift Stones to summon pawns a higher level than yourself, and the higher they are the more you need. So to summon a pawn 55 levels higher than yourself is going to be very expensive. I doubt you'll have gathered much Rift Stones by this point either.

I've found hiring higher level pawns isn't really that necessary. Well, maybe it is if you're really stuck on a certain part, but I've found just summoning a free pawn that's the same level as me is totally sufficient. They also remain useful for a very long time too.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I acquired Mr Bell and Mr Formans Pawns at the very first pawn station. They can still die last I played it and I'm still quite early on in the game so it's not like a cheat mode or anything. But each to their own.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

so for my class, I picked strider, so I have daggers and a bow.
should I pick a different pawn to compliment that?
Sean

Post by Sean »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:so for my class, I picked strider, so I have daggers and a bow.
should I pick a different pawn to compliment that?
That's what I did. Made my main pawn a mage, and hired another mage and a warrior to fill in the party.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Also, I've been going around smashing everything and looting the trinkets dropped on the floor, am I eventually going to get beaten up by the guards for trashing people's houses and stealing all their stuff?
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Bloody hell there is a lot to contend with when night falls!
FollowMyRuin

Post by FollowMyRuin »

So I've just finished what appears to be the campaign in the initial Dragon's Dogma, good fun, but I think I may need some explanation...

Picture this...My avatar, a bronze skinned man of Herculean proportions fells the dragon and exacts his revenge after some 40 hours of gameplay, when all of a sudden Ser Maximillian dashes into his arms and they gaze longingly into each others eyes. Knowing that my character, Follow, has fought the good fight and rid the land of the dragon the two best friends lay by a campfire and begin to consummate what is to my knowledge the love that dare not have been spoken.

Am I missing something? Are Capcom championing some very progressive love interests in their narrative? My knowledge of my character was that he appeared to be an asexual behemoth of a man hell bent on slaying the dragon. Can someone elaborate for me how or where I was meant to have romanced this knight of the realm? Needless to say, it was hilarious to watch and a shocking twist to this fine game :-)
Sean

Post by Sean »

I think they force a love interest on you. I finished it over the weekend, and, at the end, all of a sudden, the Duke's bride was there. Whatever happened to the girl at the very beginning?

Overall, I feel like such a douchebag for ever talking crap on this game. Absolutely loved it, and, am already about a quarter of the way done on a 2nd playthrough.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I thought the quests with the Duke's wife were pretty strange too. Just out of nowhere she decides she wants to get it on with me and I apparently have no choice in the matter, and suddenly I find myself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Then after that I continue to receive quests from the Duke despite the fact I apparently tried to bone his wife. Not that I actually "tried" at all. It was pretty much all her making the advances, and I just kind of stood there like the dumb mute that my character apparently is.

And as for the girl at the beginning, I'm pretty sure in my game she's dead or something. I remember early on after she gets kidnapped, or whatever happens to her, you get a quest to try and track her down. I think it had a time limit on it or something, but I somehow ended up failing it. So yeah, she probably died a long time ago.
James

Post by James »

Sean wrote:Overall, I feel like such a douchebag for ever talking crap on this game. Absolutely loved it, and, am already about a quarter of the way done on a 2nd playthrough.
The only reason I've held off is for a PC version, but I think the time has now passed to continue hoping for that. Interesting to hear that DD won you over, knowing how you and I feel about Dark Souls and its propensity for overshadowing other games (especially in the fantasy RPG genre).