Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
skidoosh

Re: Xbox One

Post by skidoosh »

Might be a bit of both. Sales might have slumped due to the rumor mill and no concrete confirmation from MS. That's why apple don't announce a release date till 6-7 days before so their current line perform for as long as possible to boost profit. And most of the system sellers are going cheap at the min so it'll quite easy to pop a really competitive package together to keep them moving out the door.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

This time of year is traditionally quite flat for sales anyway, so this is more likely retail trying to drive people into stores.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Just had a quick look round at lunch. Even GAME's on board with the cheap deals. Anyone looking should get anything with the new Tomb Raider in it. It has zero sense of humor, but it's really bloody good.
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

just brought a used xbone for 100£. came with NHL 15 and GTA v. I've been listening to the halo podcasts and i just had to get my hands on the master chief collection. hope there's no problems with buying a used xbone but there is just no way I'm going to pay full price for a new one as their going to announce the upgraded models in e3
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

100 bones for an Xbox One? Crikey! What a bargain.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Yeah, that's a great price, especially with the library of games it has (and many are available at very cheap prices!)
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

GTAV online is cracking! £100 for an xbone is pretty stonking too.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

NokkonWud wrote:Yeah, that's a great price, especially with the library of games it has (and many are available at very cheap prices!)
NINE QUID for Rare Replay.

http://www.thegamecollection.net/rare-r ... x-one.html
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

So been Playing around with the xbox for the whole day, mostly playing the GTA V that i got with it. have to say that the xbox interface while it feels cohesive and fluent as the shop is right there and everything is just one button push away, feels very empty. maybe when I get more friends and games the start screen starts to look more alive but the shop seems hard to use and while there is a search button it's hard to just find games that are cheap or indies and such. are there sales at all? like sony has going on these days almost all the time. got the gold for a year and ordered the master chief collection and rare replay. here's hoping they are releasing good games on games for gold in the future!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Has anyone bought an Xbox One controller lately? Preferably if you've already got an older one too. I ask because I heard on some podcast lately that apparently they change the construction of them at some point, and the bumpers have been vastly improved. Somehow I had not heard about this before. Those stiff bumpers are my biggest problem with the controller, at least in my experience with a launch day version. So I'd like to hear how a newer controller compares with these supposedly better bumpers.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Scrustle wrote:Has anyone bought an Xbox One controller lately? Preferably if you've already got an older one too. I ask because I heard on some podcast lately that apparently they change the construction of them at some point, and the bumpers have been vastly improved. Somehow I had not heard about this before. Those stiff bumpers are my biggest problem with the controller, at least in my experience with a launch day version. So I'd like to hear how a newer controller compares with these supposedly better bumpers.
I have a Day One printed pad, an additional launch day pad, the Titanfall Edition pad and an Elite pad.

AFAIK they all have the same bumpers, or at least I've not noticed anything different with any of them.

I suppose maybe the Elite has more of a 'click' to it but I'm not sure it's due to a different make up, its hard to say.

I do understand that people seem to have issues with the bumpers but I've never had any issue with any of my Xbox One pads.

I can take a closer look between the models if you like, or you want me to look at anything particular.
Jusifer

Re: RE: Re: Xbox One

Post by Jusifer »

Thanks Leon, that lightens up the future for me as the hub is at the moment very hard to navigate properly. just seems odd that it's what it is as most of the points that according to the article are being revamped are pretty obvious and should have been fixed already, especially since if my memory serves 360 had an awesome hub. i don't remember the shop much and I think it was just as unimaginative but the start screen was much better imo.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Scrustle wrote:Has anyone bought an Xbox One controller lately? Preferably if you've already got an older one too. I ask because I heard on some podcast lately that apparently they change the construction of them at some point, and the bumpers have been vastly improved. Somehow I had not heard about this before. Those stiff bumpers are my biggest problem with the controller, at least in my experience with a launch day version. So I'd like to hear how a newer controller compares with these supposedly better bumpers.
I bought one in May of 2015 (the Blue camouflage controller) and by December one of the bumpers wasn't working after playing through the entirety of Sunset Overdrive for the podcast (the things we do! ;P), meanwhile the controller I got with my launch system and the one I got with my second system are both fine. I also go the White controller at Xmas and I'm not sure it feels that different to any of the others (bar this one has two perfectly working bumpers.)
NokkonWud

Re: RE: Re: Xbox One

Post by NokkonWud »

Jusifer wrote:
Thanks Leon, that lightens up the future for me as the hub is at the moment very hard to navigate properly. just seems odd that it's what it is as most of the points that according to the article are being revamped are pretty obvious and should have been fixed already, especially since if my memory serves 360 had an awesome hub. i don't remember the shop much and I think it was just as unimaginative but the start screen was much better imo.
The Xbox 360 had a mixed bag really. The problem is XB1 does a LOT more and trying to keep it in line with all the new games, apps, features and other Windows projects is mightily difficult and I think the only thing that was miles off was the store (which was an absolute mess) - and over time it has improved. Barring Windows 10 features, PS4 has suffered from the exact same issues (I personally find it even harder to navigate and the updates come even slower) but one thing I am so glad to see go is horizontal scrolling. I loathe it. I hate it in apps, UI, stores, websites, everything!

That said, perhaps one reason I don't mind the navigation now (though the update definitely tightens and improves a LOT of stuff) is that I use voice navigation a lot anyway.
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

maybe it's just down to the fact that I'm so new to it. I'm sure it'll grow on me, if the new update doesn't come right away anyway. mostly the store is what bothers me as i like to find stuff by happenstance more than search for it by name. I'm an impulsive buyer especially if there are sales.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Jusifer wrote:maybe it's just down to the fact that I'm so new to it. I'm sure it'll grow on me, if the new update doesn't come right away anyway. mostly the store is what bothers me as i like to find stuff by happenstance more than search for it by name. I'm an impulsive buyer especially if there are sales.
One of the things that was most requested was parity between indie titles, small budget and AAA. I wasn't one requesting that as I feared we'd end up with what we have now. One big, disorganised, chaotic mess. Even as someone who is comfortable using the system I find that store awful to navigate. I often Bing for the thing I'm looking for.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

NokkonWud wrote:but one thing I am so glad to see go is horizontal scrolling. I loathe it. I hate it in apps, UI, stores, websites, everything!

The Cane and Rinse website says "F**k you Karl!" ;)
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Haha :P
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

well found a kind of a solution to the shop problem with the phone app smartglass. while still similar it did show me what games are for sale with the gold subscription. almoust brought diablo III but after careful consideration decided that it's not for me since it seems to repeat itself a whole lot and the only satisfaction you get seems to be the loot. anyway, don't know where I would have found those discounts without the app