Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Re: Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

Post by dezm0nd »

Yeah I dont understand what the Series S offers in terms of performance but it can't be worse than the One X... can it?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

God knows, it's really confusing. From what I can make out, the One S does 4k, but the series S does not? That can't be right can it? And it also says the Series S is less powerful than One X, in terms of pure terrafloppage (which I'm sure we've all suffered with at some point...)

It really is baffling. I'd like a straight up specs sheet comparing every Xbox One model!
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

This was the first big industry secret I knew about, even though it was rumoured. Although all I knew was that it would be less powerful than a Series X and discless. Mat from TCGS says it's 1440p rather than 4K. I like the look of it and it's a good price. I can't see Sony going lower for their digital version. Just reading the reaction from Twitter though, I think a lot of people have higher expectations for what the Series S can do than what it will be able to deliver in terms of power, people have been saying this like "next gen only for $299, I'm in" which is technically true but also not true if that makes sense
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I just find it really odd that it's not going to do 4k, when the current Xbox One S does..! Part of me thinks I don't need 4k, but then if I did get a Series S that would likely be my next gen console for 4 years or so at least. And with a 4k TV at home that currently doesn't really get used to its full potential, I feel like 4k is something I want from next gen. May just save longer and get the Series X.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Alex79uk wrote: September 8th, 2020, 9:55 am I just find it really odd that it's not going to do 4k, when the current Xbox One S does..! Part of me thinks I don't need 4k, but then if I did get a Series S that would likely be my next gen console for 4 years or so at least. And with a 4k TV at home that currently doesn't really get used to its full potential, I feel like 4k is something I want from next gen. May just save longer and get the Series X.
https://www.pocket-lint.com/games/revie ... ion-review

I was just reading this review of the One S, so it does Video playback (films etc) in 4K but games only go up to 1080p.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Alex79uk wrote: September 8th, 2020, 9:55 am I just find it really odd that it's not going to do 4k, when the current Xbox One S does..! Part of me thinks I don't need 4k, but then if I did get a Series S that would likely be my next gen console for 4 years or so at least. And with a 4k TV at home that currently doesn't really get used to its full potential, I feel like 4k is something I want from next gen. May just save longer and get the Series X.
Just to clarify Alex, the current Xbox One S does not do 4K. That is effectively just a plain old Xbox One in sleeker packaging with a 4K blu ray drive. Game resolution is generally around 900p - 1080p. The One X does 4K gaming, but to be honest reducing it all down to comparing resolutions is over simplifying really. Not criticising - it is all a bit confusing!

While it's still TBC obviously, it's expected the new Series S will feature the same next gen SSD, same high performance RAM, and same next gen CPU and GPU tech as in the Series X. These components will likely have slower clock speeds, less RAM etc, but the underlying tech will be largely the same next gen tech you find in the Series X. This means you get most of the benefits that come with that in terms of a faster system overall, fast load times and the benefits that has to game design, higher quality visuals in terms of texture and effects quality etc and so on. It won't be able to do all that at 4K 120 fps, but it will still be delivering a next gen experience just at lower resolutions (like 1440p perhaps).

I guess the nub of it is that comparing the new Series S with one of the old Xbox One systems and just boiling it down to resolution or teraflops doesn't really tell the story. That is of course what everyone will do, but that's something Microsoft's marketing folks will have to sort out!
Sinclair Gregstrum

As if by magic, a proper trailer for the Series S has now also been leaked, confirming top-line specs. Actually very impressive!

1440p up to 120fps, raytracing, 512gb version of the SSD found in Series X, same seamless game switching as Series X, 4K game upscaling and video streaming.

Looks like it is doing as expected - genuine next gen feature set just at lower res, and with a very tempting price point - £249 in the UK!

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm getting one. I'm sick of Sony's lackadaisical attitude to legacy game support, and I'm doing it, I'm jumping ship.

Probably.

:lol:
Sinclair Gregstrum

I'd love to say Sony might surprise you on that front, but I really don't think they will sadly!

PS5 and it's games are going to be awesome no doubt, and I will get one, but it's also undoubtedly going to be the most expensive way to game in the next gen, with a £450-£500 box (my prediction anyway!) and games on top with no bonafide Game Pass equivalent (PS Now will still be usable on PS5 I imagine but I can't see any actual PS5 content landing on it for a while, and certainly not big first party games).

The fact you can spend £250 on a Series S, sign up to Game Pass (for which there is always cheap deals to top up your membership), and essentially put your feet up and play games, could be a bit of a masterstroke on Microsoft's part, especially in the current climate.

Will be fascinating to see how this plays out!
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Well, I was going with a PS5 and I still likely will (probably next year). But Microsoft have got my interest now, it could be the first time I own all the major consoles. It would be very nice to pick one up to play some of the exclusives, including the previous gen ones.

I've been thinking about the price and coming up with completely uneducated guesses on it. Microsoft couldn't really go with a price the was only €50 less than the PS5 DE, Sony marketing would likely go on about how their console was 'a true next-gen machine' or something. €100 or more less than any of the other consoles is a serious proposition though and I'd say the lowest random guesses I've seen for the DE are €400 (that would be with Sony taking a big, likely €100, cut from the standard PS5).

I don't think I've seen that £:€ exchange rate since 2016 though, £249 looks even more tempting than €299.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: September 8th, 2020, 10:44 am As if by magic, a proper trailer for the Series S has now also been leaked, confirming top-line specs. Actually very impressive!

1440p up to 120fps, raytracing, 512gb version of the SSD found in Series X, same seamless game switching as Series X, 4K game upscaling and video streaming.

Looks like it is doing as expected - genuine next gen feature set just at lower res, and with a very tempting price point - £249 in the UK!

£249 is a great price for what the machine offers and I can see now why they stopped production of the Xbox One X so early.

There is no blu-ray drive. To get that 60% smaller form factor, they had to take something out, so I guess if you want to use physical media, you have to stump up for the Series X or stick with an Xbox One X.

From Microsoft's point of view, I think this is a genius move. The low price with seemingly good performance and of course you are pretty much required to get that Game Pass subscription (Microsoft clearly wants as many people as possible on Game Pass), I feel Sony will have to come out swinging with their offerings.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Bravo to Microsoft! I'm not a day one adopter of consoles, but if I were then the Series S would be the most attractive proposition at the moment. As a PS4 owner for the current gen the prospect of being able to work through the XBox's exclusives (it's not been a great generation for them but there's enough there to keep me entertained for a year) via GamePass is very attractive. And the form factor is a nice plus; part of the reason I'll be waiting for the second versions of PS5 / Series X is because they're both chunky beasts in their current form. Hopefully time will also persuade Sony to minimise the blue light strip too; I'm not a fan of the 'as many colours at all times' gaming aesthetic anyway, let alone for something that will be sitting under the TV in my living room.
Sinclair Gregstrum

EA Play now also coming into the Game Pass Ultimate package at no extra cost.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... extra-cost

How in holy hell Microsoft are making these numbers add up on their end I have no idea, but the value on offer with this service is crazy at this point. It was bloody good before they added XCloud, and now this!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

On board for the pricing and the look of the boxes... I just need a reason to get one from a software point of view.

I'm all for delaying games if it makes them good ala Halo Infinite but there's little reason for me to get one any time soon.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: September 9th, 2020, 4:11 pm EA Play now also coming into the Game Pass Ultimate package at no extra cost.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... extra-cost

How in holy hell Microsoft are making these numbers add up on their end I have no idea, but the value on offer with this service is crazy at this point. It was bloody good before they added XCloud, and now this!
Absolute insanity. Microsoft is really going all out to make Game Pass the most attractive proposition possible. How Microsoft makes any money from the monthly price they charge, I will never know. At a guess, I would say if they receive x amount of subscribers on the service, it counterbalances any loss of sales from selling their games on physical media / the windows store and it brings more people into the Xbox ecosphere. Perhaps I'm also talking out of my bottom. ;)
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Xbox Series X is also confirmed to be £449 in the UK.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... -in-the-uk

I've only recently ever built PCs in Japan, so only really know the price in yen, but I feel like I would struggle to build a decent PC with the same specs as the Xbox Series X for £449. To me, it sounds like a fair price, but what does everyone here think?

Plus for anyone who can't stump up £449 (that is a lot of money, especially in the current covid times), Microsoft has the Xbox All Access program.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

I think the pricing is so good that my One X has pretty much disintegrated in value. Had I sold it last week, I would have got close to £200 for it. Now I'd be lucky to get £100. I was hoping to trade it in but I'll just give it away to my nephew.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This is so attractive to me. Game and Smyths both use this offer.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Here, I know you can get PS4 pads with Xbox style asymmetrical stick placement. My question is, can I get one the other way around? A cursory Google hasn't revealed anything other than pad converters to let me use the actual PS4 pad on Xbox, but what I'd most like is an Xbox pad with symmetrical PS4 style stick placement.

I just prefer the dual shock.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

After the price reveals and the video showing what the Series S/X can do compared to the One X. I'm seriously debating whether to trade it my One X now and get a Series X instead. I am happy with my One X and was originally going to hold onto it until exclusives I want to play on the Series X came out, but now I;m thinking what's the point as my One X will only be worth a lot less by the time that happens.