Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Indiana747

Re: Xbox One

Post by Indiana747 »

link6616 wrote: I do wonder if you could use the Xbox 1 to swap between all your other gaming consoles though? That would be amusingly bizarre.

You would need more than 1 HDMI in on the console in order for it to do that. Unless you phisically get up and swap the HDMIs yourself. Id reckon its just for the TiVo, SKY set top box. Otherwise you could plug in your 360 into it(which is probably Microsofts convoluted way to debunk the the backwards compatability :lol: ). Imagine if they actually said that. "Hey kids(condescendingly), you can play all your favourite games from your 360 on XBoxOne, just simply connect a HDMI cable between the two then sit back and enjoy last gen on this gen while ordering pizza and snacking on Doritos".
At this stage, i wouldn't put it past them.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

I'm genuinely curious: What is there about this console that's even worth buying it for?
link6616

Post by link6616 »

Roy42 wrote:I'm genuinely curious: What is there about this console that's even worth buying it for?
Well, since the camera is always on or whatever, then perhaps you could give it someone you know but are also stalking?
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

That's why it's pointless for me, I use a receiver, and have done for 10 years. Microsoft are a decade to late and 2 consoles to slow to get me using their machine as a switcher.
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

Roy42 wrote:I'm genuinely curious: What is there about this console that's even worth buying it for?
The games more than likely, specifically any exclusives that they create that either interest you enough or are heralded as must play landmarks (assuming that happens). Same for any console that we as gamers look at. I bought a Wii U for the games, I will do the same with a PS4 more than likely.

I give not a hoot about features of any of these machines but I do know they will all have great titles. The question is what do I buy my 3rd party titles on in terms of making sure my investment is protected in the future in terms of access and availability.

I do wonder if we are moving to a situation that your content is all tied to your account. Previously there was a distinction between disc based releases and any downloaded content we bought from the marketplaces, one of which we could trade in and lend to our hearts content and another tied to both machine and login. Now there is nothing really stopping all the hardware manufacturers tieing everything you buy, whether it be from a shop or the dedicated store, to your account through product keys and online activations.

How that is dealt with that after is down to the manufacturer. Microsoft are going the whole hog but I guess you could just stop lending by blocking users if the activation key is already in use and provide the users access to de-authorise themselves. There are many layers here I supposse.

I can live with software registrations, especially if it means once it is installed I can just put the disc away and not need to use it again, it just depends how far they go in curtailing how we can access what we have bought. Part of me wants Sony to go the opposite and not have this at all. The other part of me loves the idea of having my whole library that I can access on any PS4 just through my login. It is a tough balancing act.
Cress1968

Post by Cress1968 »

Gears of war and halo .... Same reason that killzone is the only reason I will buy the ps4... Any cross console games purchases after that will purely depend on which console the majority of my gaming friends are buying it for.
I appreciate its a big expense to have both but I've always hated the thought of just having one console and much prefer to have the choice of which console to buy it for, based on both who is playing it and secondly which if any console gets the early release rights for dlc etc
James

Post by James »

This image is doing the rounds as people speculate on which games might be announced come E3.
Crackdown, Forza and Halo are obvious, but what about the Rare logo on the tile in the bottom right? That doesn't look much like a historic franchise to my eyes; more like a Kinect something or other. I guess Rare are working on more than one game then?

Speculation on the other four tiles is pretty difficult with no further information, but that top right tile sure looks Journey-esque (a Microsoft answer to Sony's top downloadable game, perhaps).
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Wizards & Warriors reboot?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

iwatttfodiwwfa wrote:This image is doing the rounds as people speculate on which games might be announced come E3.
Crackdown, Forza and Halo are obvious, but what about the Rare logo on the tile in the bottom right? That doesn't look much like a historic franchise to my eyes; more like a Kinect something or other. I guess Rare are working on more than one game then?

Speculation on the other four tiles is pretty difficult with no further information, but that top right tile sure looks Journey-esque (a Microsoft answer to Sony's top downloadable game, perhaps).
I'd hazard a guess at a new Kinect game based on medieval events? It would make sense to me! They would get the Fable-esque style into the game very well.

Edit: on closer inspection, its probably not medieval. Crackdown agility orb is exciting!
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

saw this on another forum and it made me chuckle

Can't for the life of me work out how to embed it into the post, so here's a link!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... ckoos-Nest
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah a new Crackdown would be interesting indeed, they'd be mad not to do that after APB went tits up.

It'd be nice to see Rare make a new game, hell if it was a Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts sequel that would be most welcome :lol:
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

A new Crackdown game would be great. They would really need to pull their finger out for that one though. Not just because the sequel wasn't so good, but because even the first one had a limited shelf life. Unless you really wanted to go after every single orb, once you had killed every boss and levelled all the way, there wasn't really anything left to do. The cheat mode was fun for a while, but it had a limited lifespan too. The game was brilliant fun, but then once you'd done all that stuff it suddenly becomes very, very dull. I miss going through that game for the first time. I miss the transforming cars too. They were really cool. Much better than I thought they would be in concept.

I think that thing with the "Rare" logo might be Ryse. That might be what the R stands for, and the picture seems to match. But that does look very much like a Rare logo...

I'm more interested in what the thing in the top right is though. That little picture looks like it could represent something very interesting. Maybe an RPG with visuals like El Shaddai.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

That is undoubtedly the later iteration of the Rare logo. Excited? God yes.
James

Post by James »

Scrustle wrote:I think that thing with the "Rare" logo might be Ryse. That might be what the R stands for, and the picture seems to match. But that does look very much like a Rare logo...
At first I didn't recognise the logo and my head went straight to Ryse too, but that's clearly a Rare logo and Ryse is made by Crytek, so this seems to be something different.
dezm0nd wrote:That is undoubtedly the later iteration of the Rare logo. Excited? God yes.
I dunno, Dez. That doesn't look like Banjo Kazooie to me! ;)
GSMason

Xbox one DRM, online, Kinect details

Post by GSMason »

So Microsoft has announced more details in three key areas

1. DRM/Used games/Accounts lark
2. Online connection lark
3. Kinect lark

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/micro ... 1100-4658/

They clearly wanted to get a lot of this stuff out there Pre e3 so they don't have to go into it there. Them cancelling interviews with execs means we won't be able to get any clarification of any details. How do I define by ten family members? Etc

I'm really interested to see what Sony does and whether they announce anything Pre e3 also. I suspect Sony may have a lot of similar restrictions of which we have zero details as yet.
GSMason

Re: Xbox one DRM, online, Kinect details

Post by GSMason »

GB guys reactions and discussion here

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/an-xbox ... 2300-7459/
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I've merged this thread as we'd like to keep all this specific console chatter to a single thread rather than multiple.

At this point, I personally think Microsoft are achieving Sony's pre-PS3 launch levels of how to disengage your audience with their badly handled and confusing press releases. If they mishandle E3 then I think, similar to what happened with Sony, they'll need to reorganise the people making the decisions.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

It is bizarre that Microsoft have chosen to release this information in a press release rather than simply wait and have it as part of the E3 presentation. I actually think there are some encouraging details here, though there is cause for concern too:

* Allowing up to ten people access to your games library seems quite generous, and being able to access it from the cloud is a nice touch
* Microsoft, at least, won't charge for transferring used games through retail or as a gift. I think the concern here, though, is that the bigger publishers like Activision or EA are bound to at least consider some form of charge.
* The loss of being able to rent games is a big disappointment that I still hope they find a way around
* While I'm sure the XBox One online check every 24 hours is a problem for some, my own situation is that I'm unlikely to be in a position where I'm without broadband for an extended period of time so that doesn't concern me. As long as I know the game isn't just going to cut out as soon as my net connection drops I don't mind this so much. Of more concern is the talk about using the cloud for gaming, which this article on Eurogamer does a very good job of explaining the issues with: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... orm-gaming
* The privacy issues surrounding Kinect are still a concern, but no more so than with most other connected devices in the digital age. Considering the news only yesterday was discussing the recording of mobile phone data by the US government there are bigger privacy issues in the world to be concerned about.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

One other positive thing to take from this is that they've explicitly stated this stuff is subject to change, by the look of it there's a lot that needs changing even considering that it was already set as a mid-late generation purchase pour moi.

I really do want to know what others think on this as I'm not sure if I'm a dinosaur by: wanting to own my own games, knowing less fortunate people can also play the games I enjoy and feeling like it is actually now relevant (even acceptable) to be that idiot shouting on about big brother and conspiracy theories.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

This is ridiculous. I was actually starting to come around to the idea of the console. Thinking that perhaps even though it sounded bad, in reality it wouldn't be. In real situations the problems wouldn't actually turn out to be problems in a practical sense. Things are just looking worse now.

It's unclear what exactly happens when you give your game to someone. What exactly does it mean by "family members" and "shared games" and all the other crap about giving games to other people? And what happens if you're not connected to the internet every bloody day? That's just not a reasonable thing to demand. What if MS's servers go down too?

I'm just sick of the whole attitude of all of this too. It's so fucking greedy. MS is crippling their own console and our gaming experience because they and the publishers want to squeeze as much money out of this as they can. But they're obscenely rich already! MS is one of the most successful businesses of all time! But it's not fucking enough. They want more, because apparently used games means they're not getting as much money as they think they should. And it's us who are being punished for it all! Even if they really have to put all this stuff in place just to survive, then it still shouldn't be my fucking problem. I shouldn't have to deal with all of this because these companies can't run themselves properly.