Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Dante Fireseed

Re: Xbox One

Post by Dante Fireseed »

If previous experience is anything to go by, irrespective of the various flaws etc I will still end up buying one (although not at launch as they tend to blow up and melt). I didn't bother watching the marketing fluff yesterday, which no doubt was awful and terrifying in it's falseness and just accept that i'll be buying one to play the halos!
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

NokkonWud wrote:I was under the impression the power brick was separate Don.
Think they should've been showin that thing then cause it takes up space and heats up quite a bit too. If the machine is that size and still needs a power brick then someone in R&D needs firing.
James

Post by James »

ratsoalbion wrote:As Karl says, Don Mattrick has said to the BBC that there are 15 significant exclusives in the pipeline including 8 new IPs.
It 'only' ;) takes one or two of those to be of Halo-esque quality/proportions for people like me to shell out the £300 or whatever it is to be.
Well, Forza, Ryse and Quantum Break are three of those. It only takes 12 of those to be Kinect launch title-esque quality for the whole thing to be a bust. ;)

In all seriousness, I'm quite content to maintain a healthy curiosity regarding both PS4 and Xbox One. I think both have immense potential, but (as we all know) it's the games that make the console, and in that respect neither have given me a reason to buy... yet. As odd as it may sound, I felt much more secure in picking up a Wii U at launch, because the quality of exclusive games is relatively assured (even if the time scale is not).
Sean

Post by Sean »

As a games machine, it's going to take a lot more than 1 or 2 games for me to get behind the XBO. Maybe we'll see those at E3. I'd like to be surprised.

On the other hand, The TV stuff is the most interesting to me. I barely use my 360 for games at this point, so, I'm fine with an Xbox One being strictly a media device. I very, very, very begrudgingly pay for cable TV at the moment. If MS can find a way to circumvent that system, and I can get it for cheap, that'll be the deciding factor for me. Not sure I'd pay anywhere over $200 for that, though.

But, then again, I live in America, so, there's that. I can't imagine that stuff mattered to anyone outside the US, unless they offered something comparable.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

They don't, the TV stuff is exclusive to the US at launch.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

I'm a little shocked at how many people are leaning towards PS4 at this early pre-E3 stage, I thought it was just me who was a cynical bastard at first... then I thought it was just a few of us on the forum... now I believe it is the majority of the internet! This is somewhat sickening for me to hear though, my opinion is rarely with the majority - does this make me one of those complacent, self-righteous, over-entitled twits now? God, I hope not!
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

http://www.whathifi.com/news/xbox-one-r ... -retailers

I hope this isn't true, $10 a month? if that's the case, I'm out for sure..
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:http://www.whathifi.com/news/xbox-one-r ... -retailers

That was debunked the day of the conference and during it they stated that the sub would stay the same.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

JaySevenZero wrote:
RoboticMonk3y wrote:http://www.whathifi.com/news/xbox-one-r ... -retailers

That was debunked the day of the conference and during it they stated that the sub would stay the same.
thank christ for that!
Sean

Post by Sean »

Welp. Just heard an interview with Matt Booty from MS saying the TV functionality is just a middleman between you and the cable you already have. Just a different way to watch the cable you already pay for.

I know this doesn't affect you guys, but, that was my biggest draw to the system. And now that's gone, so...
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Sean wrote:Welp. Just heard an interview with Matt Booty from MS saying the TV functionality is just a middleman between you and the cable you already have. Just a different way to watch the cable you already pay for.

I know this doesn't affect you guys, but, that was my biggest draw to the system. And now that's gone, so...
so instead of my tv switching source, the x-box does?
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:
Sean wrote:Welp. Just heard an interview with Matt Booty from MS saying the TV functionality is just a middleman between you and the cable you already have. Just a different way to watch the cable you already pay for.

so instead of my tv switching source, the x-box does?
That was my take from it.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yeah, it eliminates having to choose inputs.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I get that would be useful if I only had one input to the TV, but I've got about 4 of them back there, and my TV also does picture in picture.

meh,

I'm starting to become less and less impressed by the tech, cross fingers for some good games now I guess :S
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Completely pointless feature for anyone who uses a receiver anyway. That's why I was so down on the conference. I've used a receiver for 10 years now, so Microsoft are about a decade and 2 consoles too late with this feature.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

arry_g wrote:I'm a little shocked at how many people are leaning towards PS4 at this early pre-E3 stage, I thought it was just me who was a cynical bastard at first... then I thought it was just a few of us on the forum... now I believe it is the majority of the internet! This is somewhat sickening for me to hear though, my opinion is rarely with the majority - does this make me one of those complacent, self-righteous, over-entitled twits now? God, I hope not!
At work i've got 4 gaming friends, 2 of which I got to know through Xbox Live. None of them are buzzing about Xbox One, it's either PC or PS4 for the next gen. Somehow I doubt Microsoft were aiming for a wave of apathy or, in my case, "I'll give it a year or two first while I play something else".
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

PS+ is having a big effect on my decision at the moment. I don't see why the PS4 shouldn't be backwards compatible with the PS3 so I'm hoping this continues and in the infancy of the PS4 you get many PS3 games included in the subs.

One main reason I chose the 360 over PS3 was that the dashboard at the time (2008) was great plus I would take the mick out of my PS3 owning friends and the constant "installing" whenever they wanted to play anything. It was fast and easy to switch on and jump straight in. Now it takes 20-30 seconds to get to the game I want to play with all the extra crap involved.

But to balance that another reason was the games. Mass Effect and Bioshock won it over too so let them announce an amazing ip and I'll be all Xbox one again ;)
James

Post by James »

Sorry to say that PS3 games are absolutely incompatible with PS4. In fact Sony have more of an excuse in that regard than Microsoft do as they are moving from the Cell processor to x86 architecture.

The long and the short is that no PS3 games (disc or PSN) will work on the PS4 until Sony's touted Gaikai streaming service is active. Sony have said they'll use Gaikai to stream PS3 games to the PS4, but whether that'll be games you've already purchased/accessed via PS+ or a blank slate we do not know. It's way too early to know what that particular part of the PS4's future will look like.

But the bottom line is that, at launch, neither the Xbox One or PS4 will be compatible with either retail discs or downloadable games from the current generation. :(
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

iwatttfodiwwfa wrote:Sorry to say that PS3 games are absolutely incompatible with PS4. In fact Sony have more of an excuse in that regard than Microsoft do as they are moving from the Cell processor to x86 architecture.

The long and the short is that no PS3 games (disc or PSN) will work on the PS4 until Sony's touted Gaikai streaming service is active. Sony have said they'll use Gaikai to stream PS3 games to the PS4, but whether that'll be games you've already purchased/accessed via PS+ or a blank slate we do not know. It's way too early to know what that particular part of the PS4's future will look like.

But the bottom line is that, at launch, neither the Xbox One or PS4 will be compatible with either retail discs or downloadable games from the current generation. :(
That said though with Gaikai we may sooner or later see streamed PS3 games which would work.
link6616

Post by link6616 »

NokkonWud wrote:Completely pointless feature for anyone who uses a receiver anyway. That's why I was so down on the conference. I've used a receiver for 10 years now, so Microsoft are about a decade and 2 consoles too late with this feature.
I do wonder if you could use the Xbox 1 to swap between all your other gaming consoles though? That would be amusingly bizarre.