Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Flabyo

Re: Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

Post by Flabyo » November 10th, 2018, 8:29 pm

This is a weird presentation, I don’t think the live and loud crowd is helping them get across what they want. So much echo, so much Oohrah chanting from the crowd.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » November 10th, 2018, 8:32 pm

People were actually whooping over Phil's Hellblade announcement so I didn't hear it properly. Unless he was deliberately chucking the announcement away as a statement of Billy Big Bollocks intent, they need to throw a few of these hired goons out on the street. Thin the crowd a bit. Anyone putting their hand up gets a night in the cells.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » November 10th, 2018, 8:40 pm

Hellblade has a physical release this December, and will also go on gamepass, basically.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » November 10th, 2018, 8:41 pm

Cheers. I'll look forward to that and then I'll jump on the C&R show.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » November 10th, 2018, 8:55 pm

Stanshall wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 8:32 pm
they need to throw a few of these hired goons out on the street. Thin the crowd a bit. Anyone putting their hand up gets a night in the cells.
Excellent. :lol:

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » November 10th, 2018, 9:22 pm

The rent-a-crowd of hepped up fake partying zealots is just awful. The sort of plastic adulation that Bandana Dave Perry craves.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » November 10th, 2018, 9:22 pm

I am most excited about the Xbox One X enhance patch of Civ Rev!
:D

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » November 10th, 2018, 9:25 pm

It’s all a little underwhelming isn’t it?

countstex

Post by countstex » November 10th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Hellblade coming to GamePass is great since I don;t have that yet, and then Mutant Year Zero is a game I've getting rather hyped about so glad that is there too..

And then they've gone and picked up Obsidian Studios! Interesting indeed!!

countstex

Post by countstex » November 10th, 2018, 10:02 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 9:22 pm
I am most excited about the Xbox One X enhance patch of Civ Rev!
:D
Oh missed that. Nice!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » November 10th, 2018, 10:03 pm

In two or three days apparently.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » November 10th, 2018, 10:14 pm

Was hoping for a date for Below, but sounds like we’re not hearing anything about id@xbox stuff now until December 6th at ‘the game awards’.

I really should’ve skipped it and just read a summary afterwards, that was a fairly poor way to spend two hours of my life.

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas » November 10th, 2018, 10:42 pm

Didn't see the point in almost any of that. A couple of tweets would have sufficed.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » November 10th, 2018, 11:08 pm

I think that's slightly harsh, we posted 12 news stories to our Facebook page that came out of the show and that we believe will be of interest to our followers.

DeadpoolNegative

Post by DeadpoolNegative » November 11th, 2018, 4:34 am

I thought capping everything off with the release of Thief of Thieves Season One was a bit odd. The game tanked critically on release and I think I'm the only person on earth who's still reading the comic (Which is wrapping up in a few issues anyway)

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » November 11th, 2018, 7:17 am

There was news, and fairly interesting news, but a shorter Nintendo direct style of presentation would’ve been preferable to a loud screaming crowd that sometimes made it hard to know what was being said.

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas » November 11th, 2018, 7:23 am

Yeah it is a bit harsh. I think Microsoft are actually doing a lot of the most interesting stuff in gaming right now; Gamepass, the in-between generation launch of X, acquiring studios, encouraging cross play.

Just didn't see too much in that presentation that seemed new news. The Forza DLC looked cool though, as did that game from The Walking Dead studio.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » November 11th, 2018, 8:59 am

seansthomas wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 7:23 am
Yeah it is a bit harsh. I think Microsoft are actually doing a lot of the most interesting stuff in gaming right now; Gamepass, the in-between generation launch of X, acquiring studios, encouraging cross play.

Just didn't see too much in that presentation that seemed new news. The Forza DLC looked cool though, as did that game from The Walking Dead studio.
I agree that Microsoft are making the most relevant and important changes. Gamepass is far better value than ps now (on console at least), backwards compatibility is Important to me at least, their studio acquisition stuff is good business for them and the Xbox one X is a beast.

To an extent this comes from the standpoint of being no.2 in the “race” and the lack of decent exclusives compared to Sony. I’m worried about Sony’s complacency. It smacks of early ps3 era smugness which I wasn’t fond of.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » November 11th, 2018, 10:14 am

Microsoft are in a weird spot. They are doing a lot of good stuff in terms of their platform, but they still don't really have the games to back it up. It doesn't really matter that much how great an offer you make to people if there aren't great exclusives that people will want to take advantage of those offers to play. (That said I'm kind of sceptical of Game Pass in general, but that's another topic) Meanwhile Sony is still coasting on all the high quality exclusives they've managed to get hold of, that people want to play so much that they don't need to push hard on getting people to put down money for. That, and of course still reaping the benefits of Microsoft screwing up the launch of the Xbone.

I hope Microsoft buying up all these new studios will help turn the tide a bit and give us some cool games, but I'm in two minds about it. These studios are capable of putting out great stuff, and Microsoft is capable of helping them achieve that, but the company does not have a great record in dealing with any studio that it didn't found itself. And this generation they have repeatedly tried to push really hard on monetising their games as well, instead of just letting them speak for their own quality and draw people in like Sony has done with their games. A lot of these studios MS has picked up also tend to be very beloved by fans for not being part of the big AAA machine too, so they seem particularly vulnerable to being torn apart by their new parent corporation. Ninja Theory in particular I am worried about, since this seems like the complete opposite direction to what they were heading in after Hellblade, which was such a huge success for them.

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas » November 11th, 2018, 10:21 am

The other thing about buying a business is what that sale does to the culture.

Do your best staff stay? Were the niche projects that normally get axed the things keeping morale up? If the owner goes, do the next layer of management have the staffs respect.

You can buy a great IP or brand, but if the talent leaves or you handle it badly, it's a waste of time and money.

It'll be fascinating to see how it goes. Many bigger brands that purchase smaller ones tend to leave them be now, and reward the owners for growing the business, rather than meddling too much. Time will tell...